Upstate (formerly North) California LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have enough space for at least two EVs at:

2013 Whole Earth and Watershed Festival

Saturday April 27, 2013 10am to 4pm

FREE EVENT Community-Wide ~ Multiple Activities

Redding City Hall and Sculpture Park

And Along Park Marina Dr.
http://wholeearthandwatershedfestival.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have a 2013 Volt lined up, and would like to have a 2013 LEAF (or any other EV) also. So if you have one, and would like to display your car, please reply or PM me. Of course, to all others, please drop by to check out the EVs and talk about the North State EV experience.

BTW, a few weeks ago I dropped by Crown Nissan, and they had three '13 LEAFs in stock, and made me an offer I (almost) couldn't refuse but did. I'm very satisfied with my '11 overall, but next time I'm waiting for an L2 along I-5, I'll be missing the 6.0 kWh charger.

For others interested in a '13 LEAF, it sounds like Crown may ~match the prices offered by the larger Nissan dealers down south on LEAFs, which, I've been told, may not always be the case for some of the ICEV dealers in Redding.

I took a five day ~730 mile trip last week, my major destinations being Walnut Creek, San Francisco, Los Gatos, Santa Cruz, Mountain View (Google EV summit), and Clear Lake.

It was a great trip, I visited a lot of my old Bay Area friends (I moved North in '93) and it also turned into sort of a nostalgia trip for me, with the addition of the unplanned drive to Santa Cruz. I have a lot of childhood memories of the Beach and Boardwalk, but hadn't been there for close to 40 years.

And I had a great time on the drive also, particularly when driving my LEAF where DC is available (I used Vacaville, Colma twice, and Petaluma) which I could do for ~half the total miles.

No real range anxiety, anywhere, relying primarily on corrected nav screen m/kWh to monitor my SOC (The app being less accurate for this purpose, in my experience).

Over the entire trip I had three planned LBWs, all on the L2-fueled legs of the trip, and kept my SOC well above the VLBW.

Yes, the Bay area DCs are often poorly located, all single-charger sites, and subject to various dependability issues, but it is still great to (almost) get the experience I think most BEVs will have soon...fast and reliable DC charging.

No, I'll never be able to do this trip in a ~20 kWh available BEV as fast as in an ICEV, but the extra travel time is more than offset, IMO, by not burning any tar-juice for the whole trip.

In 2011 I drove back from the Bay Area, after picking up my LEAF. I probably made three or four Bay Area trips by ICEV that year.

In 2012 I made one LEAF round trip, to the Bay Area (still with no DC) and two trips by ICEV.

This is my third LEAF round trip this year, and the longest one yet. No need for an ICEV for this trip this year, yet.

The Vacaville DC is huge for us North State LEAF drivers (and another DC in Fairfield is supposed to be up soon).

The Winters (Railroad Park) and Middletown (Thanks, Chef Steve!) J1772s also give you 24 hour charge options allowing you to stretch for longer drives to link up with DC.

About my only disappointment from the trip was that heading into a stiff breeze all the way South, I might not have made my hoped-for ~106 miles from Orland to the Vacaville DC without the brief L2 stop I made at Winters (at ~90.6 miles, and ~7.1 miles past the first LBW, from my "100%" charge at Orland).

Well, there's always the next trip...

IIRC, it took me ~17 hours with J 1772 charges in Vacaville, Davis, Chico, and Redding to cover the:
249 miles, from Walnut Creek CA to Shasta County, on the second day of my 300+mile drive home, after picking up my LEAF in Petaluma, on May 16 (2011)...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Without a L2 EVSE, or any J1772's on the I-5 (old 99) corridor in 2011, I had to detour to both Chico and Redding to make that drive.

There are still no J1772s between Winters and Redding (other than the obsolete tesla roadster charge site at Orland) but with My EVSE upgrade, the lack of L2 infrastructure is largely irrelevant.

My trip on 8/26/13 of 226.1 miles took 9 hours and 20 minutes door to door, requiring ~4.5 hours of 16 amp L2 at Orland and Winters, and ~30 minutes of DC at Vacaville.

So that's some progress...

One DC charger between Corning and Williams will cut this travel time to ~ 5 hours.

And two DCs on this stretch of I-5 will cut total travel time to ~ 4 hours, less than an hour longer than I can make it (at legal speeds) by ICEV.

I hope that's not too far in the future.

edit

edatoakrun said:
I took a five day ~730 mile trip last week, my major destinations being Walnut Creek, San Francisco, Los Gatos, Santa Cruz, Mountain View (Google EV summit), and Clear Lake.

It was a great trip, I visited a lot of my old Bay Area friends (I moved North in '93) and it also turned into sort of a nostalgia trip for me, with the addition of the unplanned drive to Santa Cruz. I have a lot of childhood memories of the Beach and Boardwalk, but hadn't been there for close to 40 years.

And I had a great time on the drive also, particularly when driving my LEAF where DC is available (I used Vacaville, Colma twice, and Petaluma) which I could do for ~half the total miles.

No real range anxiety, anywhere, relying primarily on corrected nav screen m/kWh to monitor my SOC (The app being less accurate for this purpose, in my experience).

Over the entire trip I had three planned LBWs, all on the L2-fueled legs of the trip, and kept my SOC well above the VLBW.

Yes, the Bay area DCs are often poorly located, all single-charger sites, and subject to various dependability issues, but it is still great to (almost) get the experience I think most BEVs will have soon...fast and reliable DC charging.

No, I'll never be able to do this trip in a ~20 kWh available BEV as fast as in an ICEV, but the extra travel time is more than offset, IMO, by not burning any tar-juice for the whole trip.

In 2011 I drove back from the Bay Area, after picking up my LEAF. I probably made three or four Bay Area trips by ICEV that year.

In 2012 I made one LEAF round trip, to the Bay Area (still with no DC) and two trips by ICEV.

This is my third LEAF round trip this year, and the longest one yet. No need for an ICEV for this trip this year, yet.

The Vacaville DC is huge for us North State LEAF drivers (and another DC in Fairfield is supposed to be up soon).

The Winters (Railroad Park) and Middletown (Thanks, Chef Steve!) J1772s also give you 24 hour charge options allowing you to stretch for longer drives to link up with DC.

About my only disappointment from the trip was that heading into a stiff breeze all the way South, I might not have made my hoped-for ~106 miles from Orland to the Vacaville DC without the brief L2 stop I made at Winters (at ~90.6 miles, and ~7.1 miles past the first LBW, from my "100%" charge at Orland).

Well, there's always the next trip...

IIRC, it took me ~17 hours with J 1772 charges in Vacaville, Davis, Chico, and Redding to cover the:
249 miles, from Walnut Creek CA to Shasta County, on the second day of my 300+mile drive home, after picking up my LEAF in Petaluma, on May 16 (2011)...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Without a L2 EVSE, or any J1772's on the I-5 (old 99) corridor in 2011, I had to detour to both Chico and Redding to make that drive.

There are still no J1772s between Winters and Redding (other than the obsolete tesla roadster charge site at Orland) but with My EVSE upgrade, the lack of L2 infrastructure is largely irrelevant.

My on 8/26/11 of 226.1 miles took 9 hours and 20 minutes door to door, requiring ~4.5 hours of 16 amp L2 at Orland and Winters, and ~30 minutes of DC at Vacaville.

So that's some progress...

One DC charger between Corning and Williams will cut this travel time to ~ 5 hours.

And two DCs on this stretch of I-5 will cut total travel time to ~ 4 hours, less than an hour longer than I can make it (at legal speeds) by ICEV.

I hope that's not too far in the future.

Nice to hear about your experiences! I agree with you about the need for one more DC charger along the route - one in Yuba City would be good probably. We just took a trip in our LEAF from the Chico, CA area to Rohnert Park in the North Bay. Made it from Chico to Woodland with about 8% on a full charge, and charged up there for an hour and a half to about 51% and then hit the Vacaville quick charger. Pretty easy trip - one more QC would have enabled faster speeds and less charging time. I know they have a QC that just opened in Davis now (which would help eliminate the L2 in Woodland) but it might be hard to make it there on a full charge. Maybe we could next time if we went even slower....

edatoakrun said:
IIRC, it took me ~17 hours with J 1772 charges in Vacaville, Davis, Chico, and Redding
Rumor has it that Davis will be getting a QC very soon, and more sites are planned in the Sacramento area.

Not sure if this is the best sub-forum to post this in, but here goes (if not, mods, please kick the post out)...

The early adopters are nearing the three year mark on our LEAF ownership. I'm now under three months away from that magical point. I call it magical because after three years, we who took CARB rebates can sell our LEAFs without giving back some of the rebate.

I've been watching the Kelly Blue Book valuations for my 2011 LEAF SL with an eye toward selling it in mid-January 2014. Low book has it at about $14,500 (what I'd expect from Carmax). Also, right now there are very few used LEAFs for sale in Northern California (based on Autotrader and Carmax sites). But I'd love to get a sense of if that might change come January.

So my questions to other Northern California owners are --
1. Are you getting close to the three year ownership mark (?), and
2. If so, are you considering selling your LEAF at that point?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Sell and lose 13,000 bucks? That's over 4,000/year depreciation.

I'm staying put, waiting for that 120-mile battery, cold or hot. I'm willing to spend 5 grand or more -- whatever it takes -- to bring this bird up to a decent range.

There is nothing wrong with it, so why sell? I can live with that 3.3 charger for a while longer. So, for me it's just a waiting game.

There is a DC charger at Chico Nissan!

Just called to confirm, and was told it's available 7:30 AM to 7:00 pm six days a week, and till 6:00 PM Sundays.

So, using the slightly longer 80/99 route, you can now drive north from the Bay Area to well past Redding (If you keep the speed down from Davis to Chico) without having to wait for AC/L2 charging.

http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also shows new DCs up and running at Davis, Sacramento, and Richmond Nissan dealers, and an EVGO DC at Emeryville.

And more DCs at Pt. Reyes Station and Livermore coming soon.

It's a (bit late) Festivus miracle!

12/6/14 edit: Thread title change. I added "Upstate" to North California LEAFs.

Please limit this thread to LEAF/BEV news for the Northern third of California, from the Bay Area-to-Sacramento-(almost) to-Reno line, north to the Oregon Border.

The:

Upstate California Plug-in Electric Vehicle Readiness Plan

Upstate California Plug-in Electric Vehicle Readiness Plan - Final Report
(308 pages!)

http://www.siskiyoucounty.org/pev" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are both available at the links on the site above.

Direct link to map of proposed sites:

http://www.schatzlab.org/projects/policyanalysis/pev/upstate/charger-map.html?scenario=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After ~ 2 years and ~$200k spent, the entire proposed site map looks reasonable.

Following the same mistakes made (IMO) in most other areas, too many suburban DCs and L2s, too few DC sites along highways.

But the (lower priority...) Whiskeytown, Palo Cedro, Round mountain, Burney, and Shingletown DCs could transform my local driving experience, and the I-5 DCs would do the same for longer North/South trips.

I'm not sure where and how soon they plan to come up with the funding, but anyone who understands local politics will notice the planned sites for the prioritized DCs in Redding...

And, on the other hand, the same ~$200 k spent to install a few DC/L2 sites might have gone further to promote BEVs.

(Forwarded from Chico EAA by M. Wallace)

Place: Chico Nissan Hyundai, 575 Manzanita Ave, Chico, CA 95926
Date: Saturday, January 24, 2015
Time: 10am

(1) We would like to start this year off with a "Meet and Greet - Old Fashion EV Drive-in" event. If you own an EV, please bring it. We would like to have EV'ers share their experiences with new EV owners.
(2) We will have a short, business meeting at 11am to hear ideas for future meeting topics and locations.
(3) We will also have a short presentation on charging stations.

Also, if you have not seen the new 2015 Nissan Leaf, here is your chance.

Please help us increase the interest in EV's by telling your friends about our club and this meeting. We would like to form interest groups around EV topics like: charging stations, new vehicles, conversions, etc. We need your ideas and support as we plan for 2015.

Thank you for your interest in EV's and we'll see you on the 24th.

For more information, contact:
Jerry Brandstatt, President
Chico EV (the Chico Chapter of the Electric Auto Association)
[email protected]

Two of us are planning to drive down to the Chico EVA meeting on Saturday.

Maybe We'll know more about (xpost from http://www.mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=9&p=408997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) this news by then.

edatoakrun said:
Wonder if these are public and for all BEVs, or a variation on the previously announced (non-CHAdeMO) chargers at dealerships?

...BMW, Volkswagen...have teamed with ChargePoint...to install networks of high-speed chargers along two interstate corridors. One will link San Diego with Portland, Ore. The other will stretch from Washington, D.C. to Boston.

Both networks should be up and running by the end of the year...

Each station will include as many as two fast chargers. Some of those will operate at 50 kW, and will be capable of restoring 80 percent of the battery charge for an i3 or an e-Golf in as little as 20 minutes. Others will operate at 24 kW...

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/High-speed-electric-car-chargers-to-link-San-6031240.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I may find the time Saturday to drop by Chico BMW...

xpost from:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5692&p=411638#p411638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow the money:

Only 100 DCs, but assuming they are placed correctly, and designed and maintained to meet reliability standard exceeding the various rinky-dink efforts so far, this could be very significant, particularly for we living in the ~half of PG&E territory where there are NO DC's now.

PG&E Proposes Major Build-Out of Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. — Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) today asked state regulators for permission to build an estimated 25,000 electric vehicle (EV) chargers at sites across its service area in Northern and Central California. If approved, this program would be the largest deployment of EV charging stations in the country...

All of the 25,000 stations PG&E proposes to build would have Level 2 chargers, which provide up to 25 miles of range for every hour of charging. To support travel between metropolitan areas, PG&E would also install at key locations 100 DC fast chargers, which can recharge an EV’s battery in only 30 minutes. A growing number of DC fast charging stations are being deployed along the "West Coast Electric Highway," which serves drivers from British Columbia to Baja California.

The chargers would be provided at no cost to the site host. PG&E proposes to own all of the infrastructure, but contract with third parties to build, install and maintain the chargers and manage customer billing. The utility expects that the program will take about five years to complete following approval by the California Public Utilities Commission.
http://www.pge.com/en/about/newsroom/newsdetails/index.page?title=20150209_pge_proposes_major_build-out_of_electric_vehicle_charging_stations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lets hope that these comments add up to multiple chargers per 7/24 charge site, and located primarily at highway intersections where short-term stops are desired for food/drink/restrooms.

And I hope Nissan understands, that most of Northern California is North of the I-80 divide.

Starting with (IMO) Red Bluff, Williams, ~Willows, Chico, Yuba city, ~Colfax, Truckee, Redding, Mt Shasta...

NISSAN AND KANEMATSU TO ENCOURAGE LONGER DISTANCE
EV TRAVEL IN CALIFORNIA

YOKOHAMA/TOKYO, Japan (March 4, 2015)—Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. and the Japan-based trading company, Kanematsu Corporation, will work with the New Energy Industrial Technology and Development Organization (NEDO), Japan's largest public R&D management organization, to encourage the use of electric vehicles for longer-distance driving in Northern California. As the project's research coordinator, Nissan will organize the project and compile preliminary results together with Kanematsu up to the end of June 2015. The results will then be used in the project's validation efforts...

The NEDO project will seek to encourage the use of electric vehicles for longer-distance, inter-city driving by installing and maintaining multiple rapid chargers along specific inter-city routes. Nissan and Kanematsu will collect, analyze, and research data on EV driving patterns in California, and create a suitable model to help promote more extensive use of electric vehicles in the state and beyond.

Project Overview
With the help of the California state government, Nissan and Kanematsu plan to place additional quick chargers at suitable locations along inter-city freeways in Northern California, and use project-specific information services to guide EV users to the most efficient quick chargers along the route. They will then assess whether the combined hardware/software model can successfully encourage users to drive longer distances in their EVs.

Nissan's role in the project will be to install and operate the quick chargers, and analyze any changes in EV usage as a result.

Kanematsu will provide real-time information services to EV users. Kanematsu will also investigate potential business applications for real-time data and Big Data relating to EVs and EV charging systems.

Nissan is the world's leading manufacturer of EVs, with sales of Nissan LEAF and other EVs totaling 164,000 units in more than 40 countries as of the end of January 2015. By collecting Nissan LEAF data from various countries, Nissan's Global Data Center is creating a broad picture of worldwide EV travel and charging patterns. Nissan plans to use the results of the preliminary study, along with its GDC data, to decide the best locations for the project's quick chargers.

Kanematsu has been working with leading Japanese and US companies to develop potential machine-to-machine (M2M) and Internet of Things (IoT) *1 business applications for automobiles. For this project, Kanematsu will work with Nissan to develop a real-time information service for EV users, and test its potential as a commercial M2M/IoT solution. Nissan and Kanematsu will also consider how in-vehicle hardware and M2M/IoT solutions can contribute to the creation of the ideal Connected Car *2 with high-functioning systems and services.

A positive outcome to the project would benefit users in the US by dramatically improving the usefulness and convenience of EVs. Encouraging the adoption of similar systems in other parts of the world could also promote broader electric vehicle ownership worldwide...
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/2015/_STORY/150304-02-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How come this thread doesn't get stickied like the other regional threads?

BTW, just wanted to see if folks notice the amazing amount of carpool cheaters. For me, as I commute on the expressways around Santa Clara/Sunnyvale, more than half the cars I see in the carpool lane are solo, and no, they're not EVs nor plug-ins. If I was a cop, I'd just hang out by the carpool lanes and write tickets non-stop.

mgs333 said:
How come this thread doesn't get stickied like the other regional threads?

BTW, just wanted to see if folks notice the amazing amount of carpool cheaters. For me, as I commute on the expressways around Santa Clara/Sunnyvale, more than half the cars I see in the carpool lane are solo, and no, they're not EVs nor plug-ins. If I was a cop, I'd just hang out by the carpool lanes and write tickets non-stop.
Saw a Fusion with green stickers yesterday. A regular Fusion, no Fusion Energi markings. Somebody at DMV boobed, there are counterfeit stickers, or else the owner of this car has a PEV and put his stickers on this one instead.

More DC planning underway, but as of now still only one DC (in Chico, and closed at night) In The great (and currently inflamed) North state.

The CEC has $10 million available for DC installation grants statewide, about $4 million of which is allocated for North California freeways:

Go to:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/contracts/GFO-15-601/

And hit the application manual link:

Alternative and Renewable Fuel and Vehicle Technology Program

DC Fast Chargers for California’s North-South Corridors

(page 8)
....H. AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS
A total of $10 million is available for awards under this solicitation. The Energy Commission, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to increase or decrease the amount of funds available under this solicitation.

I. MAXIMUM AWARD AMOUNTS
The following table shows the maximum award amounts by corridor.

Table 3: Maximum Awards for ECHC Corridors

ECHC Corridor Maximum Award
1 I-5: Oregon Border to Red Bluff $2,320,000
2 I-5: South of Red Bluff to north of Sacramento $1,450,000...

8 SR 99: South of Red Bluff to north of Sacramento $210,000

I could have used A DC Charger last Friday night in Corning (not to mention, another one ~ in Williams) while returning home from San Francisco.

On the positive side, I make another trip over 100 miles on a single charge.

My ~38k mile, ~4.5 year old LEAF has lost only minimal range from new in slow-speed runs like this one.

I made the ~102 mile trip north from Winters to Corning well before the VLBW, and my pack probably still had ~15 miles (had I continued driving ~ 30 mph to 35 mph) left prior to turtleing.

edatoakrun said:
<snip>
I could have used A DC Charger last Friday night in Corning (not to mention, another one ~ in Williams) while returning home from San Francisco.

On the positive side, I make another trip over 100 miles on a single charge.

My ~38k mile, ~4.5 year old LEAF has lost only minimal range from new in slow-speed runs like this one.

I made the ~102 mile trip north from Winters to Corning well before the VLBW, and my pack probably still had ~15 miles (had I continued driving ~ 30 mph to 35 mph) left prior to turtleing.
Ed, I've got to ask: is your time really worth so little to you that you're willing to drive this slowly on such a trip, or do you not have any ICE options and have to do it?

As I understand it, the CEC has given final approval and funding for the proposals below:

CORRIDORS, GFO-15-601. This solicitation sought proposals to provide funding for
projects that will install Direct Current (DC) fast charging stations on Interstate 5, State
Route 99 and U.S. Highway 101 to facilitate north-south electric vehicle travel in
California between the Oregon border and Mexico. (ARFVTP funding) Contact: Thanh
Lopez. (Staff presentation: 10 minutes)
a. NRG EV SERVICES LLC. Proposed resolution approving Agreement ARV-15-
058 with NRG EV Services LLC for a $1,449,928 grant to deploy fifteen electric
vehicle charging stations (consisting of ten DC fast chargers and five level 2
electric vehicle charging stations) at five sites between Red Bluff and north of
Sacramento along Interstate 5....

c. NRG EV SERVICES LLC. Proposed resolution approving Agreement ARV-15-
060 with NRG EV Services LLC for a $210,000 grant to deploy three electric
vehicle charging stations (consisting of two DC fast chargers and one level 2
electric vehicle charging station) at one site between Red Bluff and north of
Sacramento along State Route 99...

e. CHARGEPOINT, INC. Proposed resolution approving Agreement ARV-15-062
with ChargePoint, Inc. for a $1,997,222 grant to deploy 17 electric vehicle
charging stations (consisting of nine DC fast chargers and eight level 2 electric
vehicle charging stations) at eight sites along Interstate 5 from the Oregon border
to Red Bluff...
http://www.energy.ca.gov/business_meetings/2016_agendas/2016-04-13_agenda.pdf

All the NRG (from Red Bluff South) sites seem to be for twin DCs, which should be the minimum for any future DC site, IMO.

I hope the single twin DC site on HWY 99 will be located somewhere to close the Yuba (City) gap, between the two DCs in Chico and the multiple DC sites along the I-80 (East/West) corridor, and on highway 99 from Sacramento South.

If we're lucky, the DCs might begin to show up this Summer?

edatoakrun said:
As I understand it, the CEC has given final approval and funding for the proposals below:

CORRIDORS, GFO-15-601. This solicitation sought proposals to provide funding for
projects that will install Direct Current (DC) fast charging stations on Interstate 5, State
Route 99 and U.S. Highway 101 to facilitate north-south electric vehicle travel in
California between the Oregon border and Mexico. (ARFVTP funding) Contact: Thanh
Lopez. (Staff presentation: 10 minutes)
a. NRG EV SERVICES LLC. Proposed resolution approving Agreement ARV-15-
058 with NRG EV Services LLC for a $1,449,928 grant to deploy fifteen electric
vehicle charging stations (consisting of ten DC fast chargers and five level 2
electric vehicle charging stations) at five sites between Red Bluff and north of
Sacramento along Interstate 5....

c. NRG EV SERVICES LLC. Proposed resolution approving Agreement ARV-15-
060 with NRG EV Services LLC for a $210,000 grant to deploy three electric
vehicle charging stations (consisting of two DC fast chargers and one level 2
electric vehicle charging station) at one site between Red Bluff and north of
Sacramento along State Route 99...

e. CHARGEPOINT, INC. Proposed resolution approving Agreement ARV-15-062
with ChargePoint, Inc. for a $1,997,222 grant to deploy 17 electric vehicle
charging stations (consisting of nine DC fast chargers and eight level 2 electric
vehicle charging stations) at eight sites along Interstate 5 from the Oregon border
to Red Bluff...
http://www.energy.ca.gov/business_meetings/2016_agendas/2016-04-13_agenda.pdf

All the NRG (from Red Bluff South) sites seem to be for twin DCs, which should be the minimum for any future DC site, IMO.

I hope the single twin DC site on HWY 99 will be located somewhere to close the Yuba (City) gap, between the two DCs in Chico and the multiple DC sites along the I-80 (East/West) corridor, and on highway 99 from Sacramento South.

My math puts that at about $95K per charger! If you assume that the L2's are cheaper than the L3s, then its more like $125K for an L3 and 75K for an L2. That's a lot of money for a charger install! Not to mention the fact that they will make more money of the use of the charger.

edatoakrun said:
As I understand it, the CEC has given final approval and funding for the proposals below:...

The Northstate NRG sites are on the map below, ~exactly where they should be, IMO:

Orland, Willows, Williams, Dunnigan, Woodland, Yuba City

http://www.energy.ca.gov/drive/projects/map/index.html

A Red Bluff DC site is conspicuously absent, but maybe Chargepoint will be doing that installation, as the southernmost DC site in its Red Bluff-to-the-border I-5 grant. Only one of these CP DCs (Yreka) is on the map, as of now.

You Southerners may want to check out the progress on Central CA/Socal routes, same map.

edatoakrun said:
A Red Bluff DC site is conspicuously absent, but maybe Chargepoint will be doing that installation, as the southernmost DC site in its Red Bluff-to-the-border I-5 grant. Only one of these CP DCs (Yreka) is on the map, as of now.

You Southerners may want to check out the progress on Central CA/Socal routes, same map.
DC Sites from Red bluff north to the Oregon border (Chargepoint) are now located on that map.

I've had no luck getting progress reports from the grant recipients, yet.

Anyone spotted any sign of construction at any of the sites?...
I was recently told by a well-informed source that the Redding CEC-funded Chargepoint DC site is officially under construction.

Sure enough, on Friday I saw the fenced off area at the south end of the Target parking lot, near Dana drive, as indicated.

I'll update as the site develops.

No word on progress for any of the other Upstate I-5 DC sites, but it might be worth checking them out next time you drive by.

Back