Lose the "Building Trees" on the head's up display

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
EVerlasting said:
TomT said:
I'll give you but one of many examples. Coast down a hill in N. Press and release the accelerator. Watch the efficiency gauge go from 0 to 100%. There are many more...
I actually watched the ECO Indicator go to full as soon as I began coasting down a hill in "N" yesterday, so your example is wrong.
Did you press the accelerator while in neutral?
No, I did not press the accelerator. I was just coasting downhill. If I press the accelerator in N, nothing would happen. Other info: I had 80% charge as I was leaving home. I live on a mountain and my drive out of home is always downhill. It was 29 degrees on dashboard.

EVerlasting said:
No, I did not press the accelerator. I was just coasting downhill. If I press the accelerator in N, nothing would happen.

Next time you are coasting in N, press the accelerator and watch the "trees". Something will happen.

WetEV said:
EVerlasting said:
No, I did not press the accelerator. I was just coasting downhill. If I press the accelerator in N, nothing would happen.

Next time you are coasting in N, press the accelerator and watch the "trees". Something will happen.

and maybe stop making absolute statments like "you are wrong" before you have all the info or have read all the facts.... never a good idea.... there are few things that are 100% absolute...

CeeDub said:
WetEV said:
EVerlasting said:

and maybe stop making absolute statments like "you are wrong" before you have all the info or have read all the facts.... never a good idea.... there are few things that are 100% absolute...
I said "Your example is wrong". I did not say "you are wrong". There is a difference.

WetEV said:
EVerlasting said:

I will try that out but it just strange for anyone to accelerate in N. There is no ICE engine roar that's for sure.

EVerlasting said:
WetEV said:
EVerlasting said:

I will try that out but it just strange for anyone to accelerate in N. There is no ICE engine roar that's for sure.
Yes, the ECO Indicator turns down (counter clockwise) when I press the accelerator in N, but like I said before, there is no need to press the accelerator in N because nothing happens. Its Neutral and the inverted is disconnected from motor. This is either a coding error by Nissan, or Nissan tries predict usage if D or ECO are engaged with the accelerator pressed. In any case, the ECO Tree and ECO Indicator IMO are helpful in displaying drive efficiency without moving eyes off the road to watch the center console's energy usage screen.

+1

I'm 6'5 and I can't see the current shifter display either.

dgpcolorado said:
Nevertheless, I'd rather see the shifter indicator (D, Eco, N) there in that part of the "eyebrow" display. I often have trouble seeing the current shifter display when the steering wheel is in certain positions.

holy living crap. SINCE I GOT THE CAR a week ago I have been subconsciously wondering what the hell that thing was. I thought it was the equivalent of a vac gauge for efficiency since it seemed to respond to pedal pressure somewhat.

but could not for the life of me figure out what the emblems were (electrical symbol? rocket?)

it never dawned on me it was a TREE!! WTH????

I wonder if we can hack that ie is it a discreet board or integrated into the brow as one board?

I want a dollar symbol that grows. screw tree's they will do just fine with or without us. preposterous to think we can really harm them in the long run.

I bought the car to save CASH. the fact that it is cleaner is a nice bonus but not the primary motivator.

if you want to be green? be cheap. Greener is cheaper. if its not cheaper it is NOT greener.

this is why I reuse. this is why I use LED's throught out the entire house (not the crap led's you get in the store typically that produce fewer lumens per watt than $1 CFL's) this is why I drive a 62mpg geo metro when not driving the leaf now :)

I am CHEAP :) (when you don't have money cheap drives you :)

Trees aside, the arc with bars can be used to learn to drive more efficiently. Although it has some bugs, the arc does teach gentle acceleration if one pays attention to it. And gentle acceleration, as opposed to "spirited" driving, makes a large difference in mileage efficiency IME.

But the trees are useless.

Lose the trees. I agree. In fact, lose all the displays, fire the people who designed them, and use "Leaf Spy". I just got it, and I have fallen back in love with my LEAF. It has all the necessary info info laid out in an intelligent and useable way.

DougMarker said:
Lose the trees. I agree. In fact, lose all the displays, fire the people who designed them, and use "Leaf Spy". I just got it, and I have fallen back in love with my LEAF. It has all the necessary info info laid out in an intelligent and useable way.

Agreed. The current displays are an odd menagerie. It appears like there is a ton of info, but almost everything you think is being measured has be obfuscated in how they present it. I hate the non-linear battery health and battery SOC bars, the GOM, the bizarrely coarse temperature bars, and rather dislike the digital only speed readout (I really prefer a needle for conveying rate of change of speed), and the power bubbles are pretty useless as well. It is also weird that you can measure the same things like average efficiency on the dash as well as Carwings, and that they don't match very well.

Leafspy cuts through the crap and shows what is going on in a clean concise way without obscuring things behind a grotesque digital caricature. Sadly I don't want to have to duck-tape my phone to have a safe way to look at it.

Ideally, I would like it if you could turn the "tree animation" off - or make it persist.

Personally, I love the tree animation and I really try hard to get it to build the trees faster. What I really want is for my tree score to be permanently saved and be something I can look at online and compare it to other LEAF drivers. I'd like it to be integrated into Facebook, etc. like a video game.

If it didn't reset every time I turn the car off and saved the information in the cloud permanently, I can image that I would really care about scoring as many trees as possible. I know it sounds silly, but damn my drive to work is so boring.

But I can totally understand why you'd want to be able to just turn it off. In software development, we just make it a user preference. It would be awesome if Nissan implemented it that way.

I do think the tree should be an "option". There should be several options. One I may opt for would be a slowly generated naked lady. The more efficiently you drive the more...well, you get the idea. I suppose maybe that would also be distracting, but whatever. Clearly I should not drink beers and come up with ideas to share on a forum. ;)

Who knew little tree animations could annoy so many?

I don't mind the trees. They tell me if I spent way too much time stuck in traffic on my way home from work!!

Two trees= got home quickly and without too much traffic
Three trees and a stump= too much time stuck in traffic!!!

Nissan needs to work on getting us 300 miles of range. If they get us that I could care less if the trees are there or not.

Back