Bridgestone EP422 tires swapped for Michelin Primacy MXV4s.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone can comment about pros and cons of 89H vs. 91H versions of this tire? The 89H is 1.3 pounds lighter which is an obvious advantage, the EP422s are also load index 89 so they should work fine I assume. Is anyone with noticeable decrease in range with MXV4s running the 89s?

Valdemar said:
Anyone can comment about pros and cons of 89H vs. 91H versions of this tire? The 89H is 1.3 pounds lighter which is an obvious advantage, the EP422s are also load index 89 so they should work fine I assume. Is anyone with noticeable decrease in range with MXV4s running the 89s?

had two of them and can't say I saw a difference in range but with slow range degradation, the differences may have simply been unnoticed. but have to say with the delicate sidewalls, the higher load rating is probably a good idea.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:

had two of them and can't say I saw a difference in range but with slow range degradation, the differences may have simply been unnoticed. but have to say with the delicate sidewalls, the higher load rating is probably a good idea.

Do MXV4s have delicate sidewalls as well? I thought theEP422s' weak sidewalls was one of the main reasons to upgrade to the Michelins.

tire sides are strong and the ride is firm and sticking.

when u have no spare -- even if you are usually within an hour of home -- who wants to play around with a tire that picks up nails easily and busts out with bubbles cause of pot holes and if you hit a curb hard?

Valdemar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:

Do MXV4s have delicate sidewalls as well? I thought theEP422s' weak sidewalls was one of the main reasons to upgrade to the Michelins.

have to say better traction is the only reason to upgrade. lets face it; if you don't hit anything and inflate to 40ish PSI, the ecopia side walls are plenty strong enough...

After all I ended up with a set of new Ecrapias today, at least I know what to expect from them. Also I may be selling the car in the near future so I see no reason to throw extra $$ on the Michelins.

i'm looking at tires from costco - i see two michelin tires that are "MXV4" :

Michelin - Primacy™ MXV4
Michelin - Energy™ MXV4® S8

i would assume that the "energy" tire is more of an LRR tire, i guess i need to check michelin's web site.

i had good luck with the MXV4s on my two gen 2 priuses, but with our battery approaching -15% of capacity, i'm a little concerned by dropping the range another 8%. on the other hand the ecopias are pretty bad tires.

anyone know the real-world differences between those two tires above?

rob

DaveinOlyWA said:
Definitely not 8 percent I hope. It really a tough one to accurately evaulate

hopefully. seems like the "energy" tires are just lower quality versions of the primacies, so i guess i'm going to go for the primacy. i can't find anything on michelin's site (well their mobile site anyway) that talks about rolling resistance.

rob

I agree based on my MXV4 experience and second the rationale.

thankyouOB said:
tire sides are strong and the ride is firm and sticking.
when u have no spare -- even if you are usually within an hour of home -- who wants to play around with a tire that picks up nails easily and busts out with bubbles cause of pot holes and if you hit a curb hard?

I picked up a set of Primacy MXV4 91H. They seem to be heavily susceptible to tramlining. I can't really speak for impact on range since it's starting to warm up here. I noticed a roughly -0.2 miles/kWh change immediately with tire pressure at 33psi (this is what the tire shop set it at). Now that I'm at 47psi, I'm getting +0.2 mile/kWh compared to my Ecopias at 50psi, so who knows. I think there are other factors in play here other than tire (mainly temperature changes) that could be causing the fluctuations in efficiency. I also noticed that while it was both under and overinflated, the responsiveness was not acceptable (pothole avoidance left much to be desired, very loose mushy response)- but now that the tires have a few hundred miles on them, I'm noticing a drastic improvement. This tire is superior to the Ecopia's in nearly every category. Traction (including snow traction) and ride are both excellent. If I could do it over again, I would get the V rating for better grip, but I'm happy with the H rating. It's a great tire overall.

I purchased Michelin Defenders to replace my Ecopias (25,000 miles... moderately worn sidewalls, but took a roofing nail in the sidewall of one tire).

All I can say about the Defender is that I'm so glad Michelin has a 30-day satisfaction guarantee! I took a huge hit to range. It felt like I was driving through mud. Slowing on a decline = not good.

I swapped them out for the Primacy MXV4 and now it's much better!

just to follow up i got the primacy MXV4 91V from costco. i have not noticed any tramlining but i'm not sure the highways i'm on have those rain grooves.

the car seems a bit more solid with these tires. i should probably inflate them to a higher pressure than costco set them to… which was 36PSI IIRC.

rob

widgetboy said:
I purchased Michelin Defenders to replace my Ecopias (25,000 miles... moderately worn sidewalls, but took a roofing nail in the sidewall of one tire).

All I can say about the Defender is that I'm so glad Michelin has a 30-day satisfaction guarantee! I took a huge hit to range. It felt like I was driving through mud. Slowing on a decline = not good.

The Defenders are definitely not as good LRR as the others. It was also discussed in the PriusChat Forum.

Just got a Leaf 2014SV and I'm impress with the torque (coming from a Prius!). The car as already 12000 miles, I guess I'll need to keep an eye on the tires. The MXV4 seems a good choice, but TomT is the only one telling he didn't see much decrease in range. Why ?

kensiko said:
widgetboy said:

The Defenders are definitely not as good LRR as the others. It was also discussed in the PriusChat Forum.

Just got a Leaf 2014SV and I'm impress with the torque (coming from a Prius!). The car as already 12000 miles, I guess I'll need to keep an eye on the tires. The MXV4 seems a good choice, but TomT is the only one telling he didn't see much decrease in range. Why ?

I used them, they killed my range big time compared to my Ecopias. I could also fee a big drop in my acceleration performance.

Which ones? There were two replacement tires being discussed in that thread...

EVDRIVER said:
I used them, they killed my range big time compared to my Ecopias. I could also fee a big drop in my acceleration performance.

After two sets of the OEM tires that lasted around 12,000 miles each I've just about worn out my Michelin Primacy MXV4s after 25,000 miles. I enjoy tossing the Leaf around in the corners and am wondering if anyone has run the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and if so what they thought of them.

Edelman said:
After two sets of the OEM tires that lasted around 12,000 miles each I've just about worn out my Michelin Primacy MXV4s after 25,000 miles. I enjoy tossing the Leaf around in the corners and am wondering if anyone has run the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and if so what they thought of them.

My wife's Lexus IS250 just got Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Awesome tire. Handling is great. Noise is only noticeable on bigger road bumps but strangely enough, quieter on the smaller bumps and on the concrete grooves on the highway here in California. Haven't had a chance to try in rain but is highly rated on Tire Rack. The ride on IS250 is fairly stiff already but these tires softens the ride a little. The review on Tire Rack have this Michelin behaves more like a summer tire instead of ultra high performance (UHP) all season tire.

Motor Trend magazine has a video on Youtube showing that Nissan Leaf's performance can be enhanced by changing the type of tires.

My main concern with this type of tire is loss of range since UHP tires would have more grip on the road.

I still have the original tire on LEAF but looking at Continental PureContact with Ecoplus.

My original Bridgestone EP422 tires on the front of my 2015 Leaf are about 4/32" after 32k miles- rear tires have plenty of tread left. Thinking of getting the Michelin Primacy MXV4. But I saw the Primacy MXM4 (newer model tire I believe), and wondered if any one had some feedback, opinion, or info on these. Thanks, Kip.........

kipduff said:
My original Bridgestone EP422 tires on the front of my 2015 Leaf are about 4/32" after 32k miles- rear tires have plenty of tread left. Thinking of getting the Michelin Primacy MXV4. But I saw the Primacy MXM4 (newer model tire I believe), and wondered if any one had some feedback, opinion, or info on these. Thanks, Kip.........

how come you don't rotate? you are throwing away money

Back