Leaf S Heater DOA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you call Nissan? My part was without an eta. I called Nissan and the part now should be there at the end of the week.

Dead heater here as well. I have an SV. I took it in to the dealer on Monday and they told me they will call me when the part comes in. I am not holding my breath. I am still driving my car, they didn't even offer me a loaner. Luckily the defrost still works, just super cold.

Same problem with one of ours, no heat. Just brought our 2013 S with 4500 miles into dealer on Jan. 3rd, no word on when part might arrive. The dealer said last heater repair took over a month. Gave us a loaner and said for us to keep receipts for gas for reimbursement. Very nice, but would rather be driving a Leaf. Still thankful to Nissan for taking the initiative and risk to build an affordable all-electric car!
Update: Picked up car from dealer January 21st, heater is working great now.

well, our 2011 heater died last month. during our mini cold snap just before Christmas the heater just stopped working. My wife heads to work at 3am and usually has the car preheated. One morning it was not warm, and when she got home I looked at it, and we could not get any heat. We finally got some time to take it in to the dealership this week on Tuesday. I asked if they could order the PTC heater element and have it on hand before I bring it in, but they refused and said that I would have to have them check it out first. Once it was in, they confirmed that it was the PTC element, but in order to troubleshoot they took the car apart and they do not want to reassemble to give it back, so now I have to drive this rental car until they expect the part to arrive next Thursday. Lets see how long it takes to get the car back. Driving a rental sucks, but at least my wife has a working heater in the '12 we have as a rental. The steering wheel heater is going to spoil her, since the heated seats we installed on our car are just seat heaters, and not any steering wheel heat. Steering wheel heat is VERY nice.

Is there another thread for non '13 S model Heater failures? Sorry if I posted to the wrong place, but this is the only thread I could find. Is mine the first 2011 SL failure?

palmermd said:
Is there another thread for non '13 S model Heater failures? Sorry if I posted to the wrong place, but this is the only thread I could find. Is mine the first 2011 SL failure?
Definitely not the first such failure. I did find other threads, but:
No Heat! -- Last posted April 2011
Heater failure -- Drifted off topic Nov 2011
Heating Coil Not Working -- 2013's in general
Heat -- For a 2012, and only 10 posts

Ray

planet4ever said:
palmermd said:
Definitely not the first such failure. I did find other threads, but:
No Heat! -- Last posted April 2011
Heater failure -- Drifted off topic Nov 2011
Heating Coil Not Working -- 2013's in general
Heat -- For a 2012, and only 10 posts

Ray

Search failed again. So its a 3 year old problem, but seems to have become worse in the '13s. No wonder they moved away from the PTC heater for the SV and SL models. Probably should have done so for the S as well. They probably have not saved any money by putting it in the S model with all the reported failures.

palmermd said:
Search failed again. So its a 3 year old problem, but seems to have become worse in the '13s. No wonder they moved away from the PTC heater for the SV and SL models. Probably should have done so for the S as well. They probably have not saved any money by putting it in the S model with all the reported failures.

My 2013 SL has a failed PTC heater. Have read several other posts about SV and SL's heaters failing.

My car has been at the dealer for 27 days now....the part has still not arrived.

My heater went out this AM on my 2013 Leaf S with 3500 mi. At Nissan Service Dept. now awaiting troubleshooting and fix.

palmermd said:
... Once it was in, they confirmed that it was the PTC element, but in order to troubleshoot they took the car apart and they do not want to reassemble to give it back, so now I have to drive this rental car until they expect the part to arrive next Thursday. Lets see how long it takes to get the car back. ...

PTC heater element arrived early. They replaced it and it was not the problem. Now they are awaiting a power converter part (I did not catch the exact name unfortunately). I guess I'll figure out what it is if it is indeed the problem and it is listed on my final paperwork.

The car has not given them any errors (other than no heat...relays were putting power and circulation pump was running), and he did say that this time they did some testing to confirm the broken part, (I thought they tested the last time?) Of course all of this is probably 3rd or 4th hand by the time I get the info over the phone, so who knows what is really going on. I just hope to have my car back by the end of the week.

Nissan is still having issues with this. My car went in on January 8, and today I got an estimate from the dealership that the part won't ship until Jan 28, and that it should take about 5 days to arrive. That will be almost a month in the shop for a simple part. I'm not sure why this should take so long to get a part, but it matches all the other dead heater repair reports.

I have a 2013 S and my heater does not work either. I guess its back to the dealer AGAIN. first it was the 12 volt battery going dead if the car was not used for 2 days. They re programed something and now it is ok. Now the heater. I really like the car but I hate taking it back to the Dealer for crap like this.

took my leaf to the dealer today, 8:30 AM appointment, it was 13 degrees outside, I don't care if the seat heater and steering wheel heaters are on it was a cold drive, could see my breath on the way there. They had to order a part and don't really know how long it is going to take to get it. HERE WE GO. I guess i will leave it parked on cold mornings till it is fixed. Hard to believe you pay that much for a car and put 3000 miles on it and can't use it!

I have a 2013 s and my heater continues to work great. Do you think it's just a matter of time before mine fails too, or are there certain heaters that don't fail that I was lucky enough to get on my car?

palmermd said:
Nissan is still having issues with this. My car went in on January 8, and today I got an estimate from the dealership that the part won't ship until Jan 28, and that it should take about 5 days to arrive. That will be almost a month in the shop for a simple part. I'm not sure why this should take so long to get a part, but it matches all the other dead heater repair reports.

ok, so the PTC heating element was not it, then they decided to change the Power Distribution Module (PDM) and that was not it, so then they decided to change out the water temperature sensor and that was it. The car thought the water was always at 190F, so the element stayed off and it thought it was heating the car.

So after a month in the shop it turns out it was just a bad temperature sensor. I'm going to pick up the car tomorrow morning.

palmermd said:
palmermd said:

ok, so the PTC heating element was not it, then they decided to change the Power Distribution Module (PDM) and that was not it, so then they decided to change out the water temperature sensor and that was it. The car thought the water was always at 190F, so the element stayed off and it thought it was heating the car.

So after a month in the shop it turns out it was just a bad temperature sensor. I'm going to pick up the car tomorrow morning.

So many parts changers, so few technicians. Doesn't anyone know how to troubleshoot anymore?

johnrhansen said:
palmermd said:
palmermd said:

So many parts changers, so few technicians. Doesn't anyone know how to troubleshoot anymore?

No. It's the same with ICE, if computer doesn't show an exact code they are confused.

Actually, no... Many automotive technicians/mechanics these days don't have a clue what to do unless there is a DTC that tells them what failed or what the issue is... Few truly have good diagnostic skills anymore.

johnrhansen said:

Back