Fast Low Cost Charging - All EVSE Questions Answered!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hill said:
That was my guess ... that it'll just sit there.
I wonder if Phil has begun work yet on Rev3 ;)
I remember Phil was saying that the new 120V EVSE that comes with the 2013 LEAF is not as robust as the Panasonic one that comes with the 2011/2012 LEAF. I think he might have even said that he wouldn't consider offering a 240V upgrade on it because the wiring aren't beefy enough or something. I may be wrong about this if my recollection is faulty.

Anyway, even if the Panasonic EVSE still comes with the 2013 LEAF, I'm not sure if it's really robust enough to be upgraded to deliver more than 16A. The 6.6kw charger will require about 30A draw.

Volusiano said:
hill said:
Ok I DID look through a few other pages to see if this was addressed already (as well as using the sucky search tool) sooo, here goes; How will our Mod'ed portable EVSE's do if/when hooked up to the newer 2013 / 6K on-board charger?
Assuming no loss, 240V * 16A = 3.84 KW, so that's the most power the EVSE can deliver. The 2013 S has a 3.6kw charger, so it'll charge a little bit faster than then old 3.3kw charger. The draw is still within the 16A limit.
I'm afraid you are looking at the wrong end of the telescope. 3.3kW is not what the current charger pulls from the EVSE, but what it delivers to the battery. It is already pulling 3.84kW in order to pump 3.3kW into the battery. So I wouldn't expect a 3.6kW charger limited to 16A to be any faster at all than a 3.3kW charger, unless they had made the charger more efficient.

Actually, though, the standard charger in the 2013 isn't any faster than the current one. All they did was use a different name for a charger with the same output: "3.6 kW onboard charger (3.3 kW output)"

And back to you, hill, why are you using the sucky search tool? Have you not noticed the box at the top of the search page that says "Google™ Custom Search"?

Ray

Volusiano said:
hill said:
That was my guess ... that it'll just sit there.
I wonder if Phil has begun work yet on Rev3 ;)
I remember Phil was saying that the new 120V EVSE that comes with the 2013 LEAF is not as robust as the Panasonic one that comes with the 2011/2012 LEAF. I think he might have even said that he wouldn't consider offering a 240V upgrade on it because the wiring aren't beefy enough or something. I may be wrong about this if my recollection is faulty.

Anyway, even if the Panasonic EVSE still comes with the 2013 LEAF, I'm not sure if it's really robust enough to be upgraded to deliver more than 16A. The 6.6kw charger will require about 30A draw.

The new EVSE is the same, the pictures from Japan were the wrong EVSE. Few people will even need more than 16A for a 2013 LEAF because the pack is the same size. I have a 6.7kw charger in my LEAF and I do not need more than 16A when at home, when away from home at public stations the larger on-board charger is practical.

EVDRIVER said:
The new EVSE is the same, the pictures from Japan were the wrong EVSE.

I'm not sure what this refers to, but the 2013 does use a different EVSE than 2011-2012.

I've physically had it in my grubby hands, and it appears (to me) to possibly be the same unit that the 2013 Prius Plug-in and Rav4 EV use.

My Rav4 EV unit has already been bumped to 240 volt service.

Is the EVSE Upgrade UL certified? Homeowners insurance policies may not pay if fire is caused by the modified cable that is not UL certified. Also, does this void the Nissan Warranty on the car?

gte037p said:
Is the EVSE Upgrade UL certified? Homeowners insurance policies may not pay if fire is caused by the modified cable that is not UL certified. Also, does this void the Nissan Warranty on the car?
The FAQ on the EVSE Upgrade website addresses the warranty issue: http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=faq_info&fcPath=5&faqs_id=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as the UL listing, no it doesn't. If that bothers you in any way, DO NOT BUY THE UPGRADE.

P.S. We just had a big troll make a nasty thread on this subject. I'm replying to you assuming you are sincere, and will not turn this into a giant pie fight.

davewill said:
gte037p said:
The FAQ on the EVSE Upgrade website addresses the warranty issue: http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=faq_info&fcPath=5&faqs_id=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as the UL listing, no it doesn't. If that bothers you in any way, DO NOT BUY THE UPGRADE.

Thanks, I am getting the ClipperCreek unit installed soon and was just thinking about those issues. I think that the fact that the cable modifications would not be UL certified might actually void the warranty IF Nissan wanted to be nit-picky.

gte037p said:
Thanks, I am getting the ClipperCreek unit installed soon and was just thinking about those issues. I think that the fact that the cable modifications would not be UL certified might actually void the warranty IF Nissan wanted to be nit-picky.
Your concern is duly noted.

gte037p said:

Except that's not true. Even if Nissan wanted to be nit-picky they would have to prove that the EVSE caused the failure.

Also, I think you keep calling the EVSE a cable. It's not a cable it's equipment that happens to have two cables coming out of it. The actual cables do not get upgraded by EVSEUpgrade, just some of the internals.

If we are thinking about possibilities it is possible that they could blame a failure on ANY EVSE UL certified or not.

It's also FUD that your insurance company will not cover a fire if you use a non UL certified device. This is plain just not true. If you'd like to discuss this further please take a look at this thread and then if you have further questions feel free to ask there: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12564&start=80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, you realize that the LCS-25 is not UL certified right?

I want to express the new V2 upgrade for 2011/2012 LEAF with the adjustable power option is easy to use and works exactly as designed. This allows me to charge slowly with the available power at my storage space while I run errands in my truck when needed. Until now I have not been able to charge as 12a 120v is too much and I have been a bit short at times upon return to driving the LEAF.

:D Excellent product :D

smkettner said:
Nope, I have a 2011 with 16a that is adjustable :)
20a is just 2013 afaik.

Sorry, correction, Rev3 is the new programable firmware for 2011-2013 regardless of the amp level. Rev 3 now applies to all models so you have 16A Rev3. There is no Rev1/Rev2 anymore.

gte037p said:
Also, you realize that the LCS-25 is not UL certified right?
Am I reading this wrong then?? Because I'm thinking about getting the same unit for 1 side of the house.. and making an OpenEVSE for the garage..

http://www.clippercreek.com/uploads/ClipperCreek - LCS-25_v2.pdf
UL 2594-Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment
UL 2231-Personal Protection Device (i.e. CCID Hardware)
UL 1998-Standard for Safety Related Software
UL 991-Standard for Tests for Safety-Related Controls Employing Solid-State Devices

ETL* listed to UL® 2594/2231/1998,*What is ETL? ETL, like UL, is an OSHA-certified Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) that tests, certifies and inspects products to UL, ANSI, CSA, ASTM and NFPA standards for safety and performance. An ETL listing is the same as a UL listing.

Cause I need a UL cert/listed device for the LADWP to reimburse/pay for it :D

JasonA said:
Am I reading this wrong then?? Because I'm thinking about getting the same unit for 1 side of the house.. and making an OpenEVSE for the garage..

UL 991-Standard for Tests for Safety-Related Controls Employing Solid-State Devices

ETL* listed to UL® 2594/2231/1998,*What is ETL? ETL, like UL, is an OSHA-certified Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) that tests, certifies and inspects products to UL, ANSI, CSA, ASTM and NFPA standards for safety and performance. An ETL listing is the same as a UL listing.

The LCS-25 is NOT UL listed, but it has been tested to UL standards by Intertek and carries an ETL listing. It's possible LADWP will accept Intertek/ETL, but you'd better check with it. My research of code usually turns up verbage like "Must be listed by a national testing laboratory" or similar, which ETL is.

-Phil

I see in this thread that several different 120v EVSE adapters included with the owners cars were tested against the Leaf 120v adapter. Is the Smart ED 120v EVSE compatible? Can this 120v EVSE be upgraded by EVSEUpgrade? Once I get the Juice Box that I ordered, I could send this for evaluation and possible upgrade. Though the Juice Box COULD be made portable, I intend to mount it in my garage and would prefer to have this EVSE upgraded.

I believe that Smart is using the Lear unit, which is not upgradeable. (Reason: Poor quality unit is marginally built, and we do not believe it can handle even what it's existing ratings specify for daily use.)

We do have a large number of extremely rugged original Nissan (Panasonic built) 2011-2012 units in stock (not shown on the website) that are for sale. They handle up to 20A (when equipped with an L6-30 plug) and are similar to these. We maintain a large number of "rolling stock" units in good condition for use with our Advanced Replacement program, and we are reducing stock now. Please contact us for more information.

-Phil

I am a brand new Leaf leasee as of yesterday evening. I wanted to do the upgrade service with EVSE to the 240/30a, but there is info on their website that states that people who have received upgraded cords and are near the end of their lease with plans on returning their vehicle may be interested in switching the upgraded cord out with someone that has the 120v cord (obviously with some compensation to make up the difference). Is there a thread on this forum or some exchange website where people willing to do the exchange post their information? I'm getting nothing through Craigslist and eBay but maybe I'm not using the correct search terms.

Ingineer said:
JasonA said:

The LCS-25 is NOT UL listed, but it has been tested to UL standards by Intertek and carries an ETL listing. It's possible LADWP will accept Intertek/ETL, but you'd better check with it. My research of code usually turns up verbage like "Must be listed by a national testing laboratory" or similar, which ETL is.

-Phil

No modified unit is UL approved. Even something as simple as adding a cord to a unit meant to be hard wired voids the approval unless the factory does it. Modified or built are not UL approved. This does not change the fact that they work great.

It is best to have an electrician install the proper socket. After it is inspected, then mount your EVSE. This means that the EVSE will not get any "green" credit.

westcoastpirate said:
there is info on their website that states that people who have received upgraded cords and are near the end of their lease with plans on returning their vehicle may be interested in switching the upgraded cord out with someone that has the 120v cord

Have you looked at our For Sale area? From time to time some show up, like here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=15087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back