GPS map updates

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True. I guess I should have been clearer by stating that I have found that Google generally gives me better traffic congestion data than Waze in my areas... I don't actually use either of them to pick my route, just for traffic guidance... I may give Waze another look though since it has been about a year since I last tried it...

JPWhite said:
The traffic data that Google has is crowd sourced as well BTW. Both systems use their own users to feed the beast.

given that google just bought waze, we may end up with the best of both...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324637504578563412475905552.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

palmermd said:
given that google just bought waze, we may end up with the best of both...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324637504578563412475905552.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

+1

TimLee said:
rslatkin said:
There is one destination I travel to where the nav used to tell me route guidance would end and now it knows about the street. I haven't noticed any other changes yet.
Any idea what the data date is for the update?
Any idea when the street that didn't show up previously was added / modified?

The street has been there for quite a while, but the 2011/12 nav system didn't know how to navigate to it.

I received the update via Fedex yesterday. (Fedex still shows that they haven't received the package for shipping?) Installation was simple enough ... with car turned OFF, tilt the screen for access, remove the old SD card, insert the new one. Power on the car, receive a message about updating, and a gas gauge shows a two minute countdown. Turn off car, wait 15 seconds, turn it on, and the system starts as normal with the new map. I'll look for fixes and changes in my area over the next few days.

One odd thing ... the email I received from Navteq confirming the order included an activation code, but the system never requested one.

I doubt it was worth the price, but ... I have no self-control.

-Michael

LittleChap said:
I received the update via Fedex yesterday. (Fedex still shows that they haven't received the package for shipping?) Installation was simple enough ... with car turned OFF, tilt the screen for access, remove the old SD card, insert the new one. Power on the car, receive a message about updating, and a gas gauge shows a two minute countdown. Turn off car, wait 15 seconds, turn it on, and the system starts as normal with the new map. I'll look for fixes and changes in my area over the next few days.

One odd thing ... the email I received from Navteq confirming the order included an activation code, but the system never requested one.

I doubt it was worth the price, but ... I have no self-control.

-Michael

Thanks for detailing the install procedure!!

Enjoy your maps.

I ordered the new map on June 26. On July 1, I received an email saying that the item had shipped and giving a tracking number for FedEx.

I just called this afternoon (July 3) since the tracking page shows no progress (not even an estimated arrival date).

The Navteq guy told me they had printed the shipping label but evidently had not actually shipped the map.

I have already sent back the map twice due to it not properly installing. Now my shipment has been lost in the system somewhere.

This has to be one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had. (Original order on April 9 and still no map update.)

When I ordered my map update, I got a note from Fedex a few days later saying the shipping label had been created. Nothing more for several days, so I called the customer service line. They promiised to investigate and call me back. Never called. Then the package arrived. I checked Fedex after receiving the package and it still just showed "electronic shipping info received."

Customer service, indeed!

My map update just magically appeared today. The tracking page still shows no information.

The map (third try) actually installed with no errors this time. I also verified that the major interstate extension that was missing on the original map (but was around form 12-18 months before I bought the car) is now on the map.

The update still does not show speed limits for normal streets (as opposed to major highways/freeways).

My was is driving the newer 2012 Leaf and she kept complaining that the GPS in the car cannot find addresses in old neighborhoods. I tried the address below in both Leafs and the 2011 found the address the newer one did not. I am not sure if there is something wrong with the map in the 2012. Before I try some troubleshooting (reboot?), can anybody with a 2012 try to enter the address below and see if it works? The region needs to be at US2.

4312 S.E. Stark Street
Portland Oregon 97215

Thank you.

I typed the address into the updated map in my 2012 Leaf and it claims to know where that address is at.

gossett said:
I typed the address into the updated map in my 2010 Leaf and it claims to know where that address is at.

You meant 2012 right?

Thank you, I will try a reset, disconnecting the 12V battery. But, it seems to me that the navigation restarts every time the car is started. If that does not work I will go to the dealer.

guys, just get a mount for your smart phone and enjoy the "ALWAYS UP TO DATE" maps, screw nissan and GPS paid updates in general, its so HAS BEEN

PROCLIP makes an awsome OEM look mount, http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-mounts/vehicle/nissan/leaf/2011-2015/proclip-center-mount-854706-18895.cmsv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd like to see Google Maps as a standard IN CAR map. Also, a WiFi possibility to connect when I arrive home and automatically check and download Google Maps for a selected region. Save up to 3 regions at a time to either an SD card or built in memory. Get rid of the outrageously expensive maps. Google lets me download maps along the way for my phone to keep data costs down, so why not???

I wish they would do it like the Chevy Bolt and just let you display Google Maps from your phone onto the screen in the car, and of course some means to control it as well.

Back