Center console rebooted while driving

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine still does it once every year or so for no particular reason... Just one of the quirks.

DanC said:
I realize this is an old, old topic, but my 2014 Leaf has done this multiple times since I picked it up last month. I see mention of some software updates for this but has anybody had this issue fixed by the updates from Nissan? I've taken it to the dealer but they've never heard of the issue nor do they have a fix.

DanC said:
I realize this is an old, old topic, but my 2014 Leaf has done this mul Lawtiple times since I picked it up last month. I see mention of some software updates for this but has anybody had this issue fixed by the updates from Nissan? I've taken it to the dealer but they've never heard of the issue nor do they have a fix.
If after 3 times of taking it in for repair you can replace or return under the Lemon Law.

I asked Nissan about this early last year and was told that when XM sends down updates the infotainment system will reboot to initialize the new software, happens about twice a year or so.

DarkStar said:
I asked Nissan about this early last year and was told that when XM sends down updates the infotainment system will reboot to initialize the new software, happens about twice a year or so.

Thanks. I thought about system updates. If it is XM-related, maybe it will stop when my trial subscription expires. It's happened about a dozen times so far so we'll see if it quiets down.

DanC said:
DarkStar said:

Thanks. I thought about system updates. If it is XM-related, maybe it will stop when my trial subscription expires. It's happened about a dozen times so far so we'll see if it quiets down.
I've never been an XM subscriber and was told that the XM network is used for updating the whole radio, not just the satellite radio portion.

pawsouth said:
I have had the Feb 2012 s/w update and still have the problem. all 5 times that I saw it was just after pushing the OK button about 30 secs or min later switching from drive to eco mode all of sudden i see the screen go blank and the startup screen and chimes occur. I think that probably carvings is trying to download info, radio is probably off but not always.

The reboot happened to me for the first time in 2 1/2 yrs ownership. My experience is almost identical to yours. Rebooted shortly after pressing OK and BEFORE it 'downloaded info' as it does first thing in the morning. After a quick reboot (blue e) the 'downloading info' came up. I was listening to XM Radio at the time. I have no idea if I have received any Nav system updates or not. I'll ask for one at the 45,000 mile service in a few months.

As an aside the 'downloading info' message has always bugged me, during this process CarWings is receiving the latest drives from the vehicle, it uploads much more than it ever downloads. I suppose they don't want you to think big brother is watching by saying 'uploading info', which we all know he is.

I don't believe this is true since I have never seen the version number increment. I think it is primary channel change info and the like...

DarkStar said:
I've never been an XM subscriber and was told that the XM network is used for updating the whole radio, not just the satellite radio portion.

palmermd said:
mwalsh said:
Just the one time in 3 years for me. Don't know why it did so. Haven't been able to repeat it.

same here.

Our leaf has now encountered this rebooting problem. It reboots about every five minutes while driving, This started about three weeks ago and has not cleared itself as I was hoping. . I brought it to the dealer for the annual battery check and asked them to look at it and they said its out of warranty so I have to pay for all the troubleshooting time and then any parts needed to fix it. It's in the service bay now. Let's hope its resettable in the software or I may be looking at aftermarket center console options.

Since this falls so definitely into the category of "strange behavior", I think the first thing that should be checked is your 12V battery..

We replaced the 12 v battery in February. When my wife informed me of the rebooting I did a code check with leafspy and saw it was loaded with codes related to abs and telematics and various things. I did not reset them because I wanted to have the dealer see them to get it fixed under warranty. I thought it was a five year warranty but the dealer reminded me it's only three years. Anyhow, they logged the codes and then reset them and the car is working perfectly again. The tech said he's seen it where the car behaves oddly if ther are codes remaining in the system and not reset to give odd behavior. That's what we had was odd behavior. We had a constantly rebooting center console and very touchy brakes in both d and Eco modes. Once reset the behavior went back to a normal operating car. I did not make the connection to the 12v battery because it was changed a couple of months before the odd behavior started. But the codes were triggered from the low 12v and then not reset when I changed the battery. At least now I know how to handle it in the future especially since I'm out of warranty on the basic. Still got a year on the drivetrain.

The sad thing is that this will happen to others who are out of warranty and they will have to pay the dealer to reset the codes when they change the 12v battery. Only the folks here on mnl who have tools like leafspy could reset the codes themself. I think that's probably the minority.

Seems like a bug in the system that just changing my 12 v battery would require a reset of old codes that were generated when the old battery was weak.

The one great thing about this is that Nissan of Elk Grove once again impressed me with their service department. Every step of the way in the sales process 4 years ago and every year for the battery inspection and service campaign updates they have done very well. Today they comp'd me the battery check cost. Another 5 star report. It does not look like we will be getting any warranty replacement battery. Were about to drop #2, but no way we'll get down to 4 in the next 10 months.

ok, so after a few days from returning from the dealer for my yearly battery inspection where they troubleshot my center console, only to find nothing wrong after resetting the error codes, it started doing it again. The screen reboots every 5 minutes or so when driving. I've connected up with LeafSpy again and this time there are absolutely no error codes in the log. We've had no 12v issues since the checkup. I'm at a loss as to what is wrong with this unit. Any ideas? it started just after our 30 day XM trial expired after more than 4 years (haha). It's not under warranty so i'm not inclined to return to the shop to have them look at it again.

We did try removing all phone bluetooth connections to the unit in case one of those was the culprit. Removing them had no effect.

old post I see. well, can't remember if I have already chimed in here so I will repeat.
I have had the spontaneous reboot on the 2011 about 4-5 times or so, on the 2013; zero.

But my 2013 is not without fault as it randomly changes the airflow on the climate controls and it always seems to be from "face" to "foot" or "recirc" to "fresh". This has happened dozens of times. FYI; I have had no other electrically based issues with either car.

my 12 volt battery is fine, my brakes are fine, my airbags are fine, my AC is fine... etc, etc, etc... and yes, I have a few pending recalls that I probably should look into but will probably wait until my annual battery check (which is currently 6 months overdue...)

I hope someone is still listening to this thread. I bought a 2011 SL that has 8,500 miles two weeks ago. It was fine for about four days and then while driving it, the screen went black. I punched the day/night switch to no avail, and eventually came back on by itself. Then it would switch from working (the screen and buttons) to not working. The map continued to move as we drove, but the system wouldn't respond to any buttons, either on the dash or steering wheel. And then it would start working again.
Took it to the dealer - and naturally - for two days it performed flawlessly. I picked it up, drove it home and then went out to meet a friend for lunch - and it screwed up royally, restarting, blacking out, responding and then not responding to buttons. The ultimate irony? The service manager tried to call me back while I was driving - and I couldn't answer the call because the screen was not responding to touch commands.
So, I just checked the 12 volt battery. 12.16 volts with the car off, 11.78 with the car on. Sounds to me like that's not good, so I'm going to replace the battery tomorrow and see what happens.
From what I've read on the site, no one has had this kind of erratic behavior - but if you have and are reading this, absolutely let me know what fixed it if one exists. I've been told the replacement part is $6k, which is more than I paid for the trade-in to get the car. I love the car in general, but I sure picked a lemon, it seems.

reLeafedDriver said:
I've been told the replacement part is $6k, which is more than I paid for the trade-in to get the car. I love the car in general, but I sure picked a lemon, it seems.

Available used for $800-$1000 on car-part.com. In fact, there is one yard who may not know what they are selling (or may have mis-listed what they have) with one for under $200!

I have a 2011 Nissan Leaf with 106,000 miles on it. The center console rebooted for the first time while driving this morning. This is following a 12V battery failure 2 days ago, where I replaced it with a new AGM Optima. I have an OBD II connector coming today, so I will try clearing the codes via LeafSpy and hope that works. It's odd to own a car for 106,000 miles / 7 years and have this show up just because the 12V battery had to be replaced.

Back