Official Ford C-MAX Energi PHEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
epic said:
cant get it to open.would like to read it.But,like the solar roof, not going to happen
Just go to google and type in "focus energi" and you'll find any number of websites talking about it. While there has been no formal commitment from Ford, there are enough rumors circulating from people in-the-know to almost guarantee this vehicle is in the works and will be available in less than a year.

adric22 said:
epic said:
cant get it to open.would like to read it.But,like the solar roof, not going to happen
Just go to google and type in "focus energi" and you'll find any number of websites talking about it. While there has been no formal commitment from Ford, there are enough rumors circulating from people in-the-know to almost guarantee this vehicle is in the works and will be available in less than a year.
Such as reported here:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1089773_2015-ford-focus-energi-rumored-25-miles-of-range-27500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am I the only one who finds this information on Ford's website to be inaccurate? In regards to the energi model, they say:

7.6 kW Lithium Ion Battery
The C-MAX Energi Plug-In Hybrid should be thought of as a hybrid plus. C-MAX Energi is designed to deliver maximum efficiency by combining a state-of-the-art lithium-ion battery and electric motor with a gasoline engine. You don’t need to plug in for an all-electric driving experience – the Regenerative Braking System can recharge the lithium-ion battery, which powers the electric motor.

So are they trying to lead people to believe that energi model gets all of its power from regenerative braking? Or perhaps was the web-designer just copying stuff from the regular Cmax Hybrid and didn't realize?

LeftieBiker said:
Maybe they're assuming that everyone drives for exactly one hour, flat out.
The EV drivetrain in the C-MAX is capable of a LOT more than 7.6 kW of power - up to 68 kW in charge depletion mode. That would drain it in less than 7 minutes if it could maintain that rate (it probably can't).

TomT said:
I have a co-worker with a PiP and he spends his whole life looking for plugs so he can constantly charge his miserably small battery. I'm sorry, but if your driving requires such foolishness, you are simply driving the wrong car!

TomT, it all depends...my wife has a one mile work commute so a PiP or CmaxEnergi makes sense, since I commute using the Leaf. I'd prefer her to use a PiP but she's used to SUVs and likes to sit high. So the Ford is probably a better fit for her.

I have a co-worker with a PiP and he spends his whole life looking for plugs so he can constantly charge his miserably small battery. I'm sorry, but if your driving requires such foolishness, you are simply driving the wrong car!

Some people don't understand that the PIP is designed to be a 'Super Hybrid' that can also make short trips as an EV. You don't have to use EV mode at all to get amazing MPG with the car. It is indeed the wrong car for someone who hates to burn gasoline at all.

My wife just traded for one of these.

Early days yet but going well. 23-25 EV miles with limited EV experience (<5% of Leaf driving), very accurate GOM. Comfy. Really like the configurable info displays. Sync works better than my Mustang (probably due to being much quieter). Cargo space constrained but very functional. Bought it from 150 miles away and gas mileage a bit subpar on first trip at about 35, but reports are fairly consistent that this improves over time, and in any case in normal use she'll use gas maybe once every 3 months.

Only thing that seems weird is that in EV mode there is a loud buzz/grind noise for the first minute or so every so often. D/R/L doesn't seem to be the causal factor; neither does braking/not braking. Does not seem to be affecting function and is internal to motor/engine rather than grating on CV joints etc. Ideas from more experienced/techy types appreciated, as the nearest Energi dealer to me is >90 miles.

EvansvilleLeaf said:

Early days yet but going well. 23-25 EV miles with limited EV experience (<5% of Leaf driving), very accurate GOM. Comfy. Really like the configurable info displays. Sync works better than my Mustang (probably due to being much quieter). Cargo space constrained but very functional. Bought it from 150 miles away and gas mileage a bit subpar on first trip at about 35, but reports are fairly consistent that this improves over time, and in any case in normal use she'll use gas maybe once every 3 months.

Only thing that seems weird is that in EV mode there is a loud buzz/grind noise for the first minute or so every so often. D/R/L doesn't seem to be the causal factor; neither does braking/not braking. Does not seem to be affecting function and is internal to motor/engine rather than grating on CV joints etc. Ideas from more experienced/techy types appreciated, as the nearest Energi dealer to me is >90 miles.
When you turn the car on, it starts a compressor/vacuum pump that is pretty loud outside the car but hard to hear inside. Also, if dealer did not plug-in to charge HV battery, mileage suffers.

I use my leaf for shorter trips & the cmax energI for the longer trips.Most tanks average from 65-75 mpg.If I used it like I use the leaf it would be 90-100+ mpg.The phev is an awesome car.I have 4 vehicles so the leaf finds its place.If this wasa 1 car home the energI would be the 1 of choice.

EvansvilleLeaf said:

Early days yet but going well. 23-25 EV miles with limited EV experience (<5% of Leaf driving), very accurate GOM. Comfy.

Only thing that seems weird is that in EV mode there is a loud buzz/grind noise for the first minute or so every so often.

Would agree on the front seats comfort but the back seats (still -- tried a newer one as well) are like rocks and would punish anyone for any distance other than some little kids; driving in EV mode also noticed lots of strange noises, much more so than the just the hybrid C-Max

Vacuum pump yes that would be it thanks!

The trip was all gas engine so not too worried about the 35.

Haven't tried the back seat and it would be extremely rare anyone but a dog would be back there. So far no strange noises but the pump but I will keep an ear open. So far once we got it home 0 gas and about 4.4 m/kwh (although my latest niggle is an inability to find the miles/kwh anywhere other than on the mobile app, which by the way I find more usable than the Leaf's, albeit stupidly "security" conscious to start up).

The C-Max Energi "was" the runaway leader for my 2nd car until I saw the storage. My job requires me to haul "an office on wheels". It was a COMPLETE non option. I will say that if the Fusion Energi comes in with a great sweetheart deal, I am all over it!

now to clarify; 90% of the time I am driving alone and the backseat is ample room for my equipment but the 10% of the time I need seats for passengers is VITAL

DaveinOlyWA said:
The C-Max Energi "was" the runaway leader for my 2nd car until I saw the storage. My job requires me to haul "an office on wheels". It was a COMPLETE non option. I will say that if the Fusion Energi comes in with a great sweetheart deal, I am all over it!

now to clarify; 90% of the time I am driving alone and the backseat is ample room for my equipment but the 10% of the time I need seats for passengers is VITAL

Funnily enough we eliminated the Fusion Energi (my initial bias) in large part due to having less useful storage than the CMax as the trunk is pretty small and less access than a hatch. That and liking the higher seating. The Fusion is by all accounts a tad more efficient likely due to better aero. CMax has better incentives right now at 3250 compared to 1000 but likely varies quite a bit so worth keeping an eye open. Dealership eventually agreed to decent deal. Sticker 35760 price 30500.

We're getting much better EV and about the ICE mileage as originally claimed, so I'll just take the money and smile.

Ford release from yesterday:

"Today Ford announced it is lowering the fuel economy ratings for its 2013 and 2014 model year hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles, as well as most 2014 model year Fiestas.

We identified an error with fuel economy ratings on certain vehicles through our internal testing and notified the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. We worked with the EPA as the agency retested the vehicles to determine the correct fuel economy ratings.

We have reviewed our entire line up to determine the vehicles that required further testing and revised the fuel economy ratings for the affected vehicles. No other label adjustments are planned."

Ford has decided in lieu of their error to reimburse owners of the affected vehicles for additional gas costs. As stated from Ford, "Ford apologizes to our customers, and affected owners will receive a goodwill payment for the difference between the prior and new combined fuel economy ratings."

The following changes have been made during the revision of the EPA ratings on the Fusion and C-Max Plug in Hybrids.

Fusion Plug-In Hybrid:

Original EPA ratings: 43 MPG / 100 MPGe+ / 21 mile EV range

Revised EPA ratings: 38 MPG / 88 MPGe+ / 19 mile EV range

C-Max Plug-In Hybrid:

Orginal EPA ratings: 43 MPG / 100 MPGe+ / 21 mile EV range

Revised EPA ratings: 38 MPG / 88 MPGe+ / 19 mile EV range

The following Goodwill Payments will be made to the owners of the listed vehicles above who took delivery of their cars prior to June 12, 2014.

Fusion Plug-In Hybrid:

Lease Customers: $525

Purchase Customers: $850

C-Max Plug-In Hybrid:

Lease Customers: $475

Purchase Customers: $775

Ford calculated the Goodwill payment amount using the following formula.

1) Price of gas (Ford internal forecast of $3.54)
2) Average number of miles driven annually (varies per vehicle, based on Ford internal customer survey data)
3) Gas mileage differential (previous vs. revised ratings) for combined fuel economy.
*A further 15% goodwill payment added to account for variability in actual mileage and fuel price.

*The resultant figure then multiplied by years of use (five for retail sale, three for retail lease).

*The final number was rounded to closest $25.

Frequently asked questions regarding Goodwill Payments:

1) Do customers need to do anything to get their goodwill payment?

Ford will be mailing the goodwill payment directly to customers. No action is needed on their part.

2) When will customers receive a check?

Ford will begin issuing goodwill payments at the end of June. Customers should receive their check by no later than the end of September.

3) Why is it taking you 3 months to send checks?

We appreciate our customers patience. The process takes time to ensure that we have the correct customer and address for all 200,000 vehicles affected.

4) What if a customer doesn't get his check?

He/She should contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332

5) How does the goodwill payment work?

Ford will provide a goodwill payment to retail customers who purchased or leased the affected vehicles. The amounts are based on the difference in the combined fuel economy ratings, estimated average annual mileage, estimated average fuel prices, and estimated average length of contract.

6) Will customers who already sold their vehicle get a goodwill payment?

Yes. Ford intends to provide goodwill payments to current and previous owners of the affected vehicles.

7) How do Canadian customers get more information?

If a customer purchased the vehicle in Canada, they can get more information specific to Canadian fuel economy ratings and goodwill payments by calling the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332.

I recently picked up a 2015 C-Max Energi. Ford is offering $9257 off of MSRP on leases (as a cap cost reduction) through 9/30/2015. We've been eyeing the car (new and used) for a while, and this offer was too good to pass up.

When I first got the Leaf, my wife was hesitant to drive an EV. After a few months, she did a 180, and basically took the Leaf as her own car. She was driving more miles than me during the day, and she always had the kids (the Leaf is much taller than our previous car - a 2010 Honda Insight - and hence easier to load kids into car seats).

She loves her new car. And I love driving my Leaf again. Talk about a win-win!

Here are some of my observations / opinions on the car:

We've already taken a 100-mile round trip in the car, with a fifth person sitting between the two car seats in the back. She said she was comfortable there. She wouldn't have even fit in the Insight.

Coming from the Insight, the trunk is actually a net increase in space. It is somewhat awkwardly divided, but that just means I need to use more creative packing.

The controls and displays from the driver's seat are quite pleasant to look at and logically laid out.

My wife's commute fits well within the AER of the Energi. For longer errands, we still have the Leaf of course.

On our one trip requiring gas so far, we averaged about 46 MPG, with mostly highway driving. On the same trip, the Insight would have gotten about the same. This is impressive to me, as the insight was a much smaller / more aerodynamic car. I think that is mostly compensated by the superior hybrid system. Honda's IMA system literally has the gas engine and electric motor at the same RPM at all times. They are connected without a transmission in between. This simplifies the system, lowering the cost. But it reduces the number of dimensions in which the powertrain can be optimized. The Insight also has a tiny battery (about 0.5kWh) which fills up very quickly with regen. Just slowing down coming off the highway easily fills it up, and energy must be wasted with friction brakes. The Energi, on the other hand, has about 5.3kWh of headroom (the capacity used up in EV mode), so short of decending Mt. Washington or Pike's Peak, I cannot imagine ever filling it up with regen alone.

I hope to keep this car a good long time. So long, in fact, that when I replace it, it will be with an affordable 300-mile BEV, supported by a robust QC network (in the Northeast, not just in CA/OR/WA). Yeah, that could take a while!

With the current lease cash being offered on the 2015 combined with A-Plan pricing (over $12,600 in savings all told), I'm considering getting a C-MAX Energi. I'm talking pricing with a dealership now and will probably go for a test drive tomorrow or Friday to see how it drives. I just wish Nissan would bring the 2016 LEAF here soon to change my mind.

Back