Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up getting one.. and keeping the Leaf (for fun and hacking).. but the range on the 2014 Rav's is amazing! And rumors about the pack and what's inside is very cool!!! ;)

We all know they are the new "B" cells.. and other goodies... but I love the fact that we can go out to the car.. have 54miles on the GOM (little over half range) and need to goto a restaurant in Moorepark which is 64miles away..

Cruise at 65mph...

And come back with 5miles left! :lol:

Nice job Tesla! :mrgreen:

I think the question was whether there was a link to provide more info about this quote:
JasonA said:
We all know they are the new "B" cells.. and other goodies...
and the follow-up question as to whether this was new for the 2014. Everything I've seen indicates that there's no difference at all between the different model years of the Rav4-EV, so I'd be very curious to learn more about this too.

TonyWilliams said:
Yes, what are the "B cells"?

Tesla has a label on the packs installed in the Model S. Original packs had a label with an "A" on them, these packs have a limitation on them that require a software limit of 90kW when supercharging. The folks with "B" and higher (they are up to at least a "D" pack at this point) can charge at 120kW at a supercharger. It has caused quite a stir among the Signature and other early Model S owners who cannot charge at the new higher rate.

Clearly there is something either in the chemistry or perhaps just a fuse rating inside the pack that limits this. It not not completely known what the differences are except the limit on the supercharger.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/26111-Model-S-revisions?p=556834&viewfull=1#post556834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
So, how do we know these are "B" cells, and more importantly, how do we even know they are the same 3100ma cells that Model S uses?

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "B" cell. It is a "B" pack on the Model S. For all we know A,B,C and D packs all use the same cells. Some theorize that the B and newer packs have cell improvements, but other doubt that and just think is is some other limitation related to pack construction. Personally I think they may both be correct. I doubt there have been 4+ chemistry changes in the pack, so at least some of the changes are probably due to just improvements in pack construction. Some are potentially performance improvements, but I'd bet some are just improvements that shorten the time to construct a pack. Tesla is working hard to improve the production line, and the speed of these pack builds is one of the main components.

As far as knowing what is inside a Tesla Model S pack versus what is inside a Rav4EV pack, you'd have to open the packs remove some cells and test them. Or you could ask Tesla if they were willing to give an answer. I doubt they would tell you (not specifically you, but anyone), and not many folks willing to have the pack opened and then have individual cells removed for testing and comparison.

Here's my pack, Tesla part number 1004200-02-E

The newest Tesla Model S serial number cars have 1014114-00-D

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1755-1.jpg

With it being a totally different part number, I don't think you have any way to compare. Dates are about the only thing you have to go on. I suspect that any pack built on a specific date would have the same cells, but even that could be misleading because they may have put aside some cells for the RAV and then did not build them into a pack until a later date.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showwiki.php?title=Battery+table" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above is a list of reported pack data from TMC. It really does not help the Rav guys know anything really. The only way to know anything would be testing as far as I know, unless you can pry the data out of someone at Tesla.

Ok, so all this confirms what I expected. We don't know anything more about the Rav4 pack.

At 860 pounds for 45-48kWh, it is well more than double the weight of the 85kWh battery in a Model S, therefore as I've always suspected, it likely doesn't have the 3100ma cells.

I've guessed either the Roadster 2200ma (since the prototypes used that cell) or a cheaper 2900ma.

Tony -

It's probably a pointless exercise, but if you've still got both a 2012 and a 2014 Rav, did you check if that part number varies at all between them? It wouldn't really prove anything if they're different, but if they're the same that might indicate there hasn't been a cell change.

fooljoe said:
Tony -

It's probably a pointless exercise, but if you've still got both a 2012 and a 2014 Rav, did you check if that part number varies at all between them? It wouldn't really prove anything if they're different, but if they're the same that might indicate there hasn't been a cell change.

I've yet to see the 2014 Rav4 EV. I bought it, sight unseen, from Dianne and I haven't been in the USA since.

TonyWilliams said:
fooljoe said:
Tony -

I've yet to see the 2014 Rav4 EV. I bought it, sight unseen, from Dianne and I haven't been in the USA since.

I would be glad to break it in for you, if you need my help, let me know. :cool:

Since Toyota is printing Tony's forum threads, I want to use this opportunity to BEG Toyota to PLEASE release the RAV4 EV to other states :( I really need a matching RAV4 EV to go with my RAV4 V6!

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming ;)

It won't happen. The RAV4EV is strictly a compliance vehicle and they are not going to sell it anywhere where they can not get at least as many credits as in California...

lion said:
Since Toyota is printing Tony's forum threads, I want to use this opportunity to BEG Toyota to PLEASE release the RAV4 EV to other states :( I really need a matching RAV4 EV to go with my RAV4 V6! We now return to your regularly scheduled programming ;)

Back