Button reorganization

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the order of those switches in the 14? I might as well make them match those. Just a wild guess but is it the same as the pic's int he first post?

Is it wheel, charge open, lock, timer off?

Note that the 2011s and 2012s have different switches.
The top row has different size switches from the bottom row, so you can't swap switches between the two rows.

In order to release the dash panel, you have to first remove the two hex-head screws that hold the hood & charger release handle assembly, move that assembly out of the way, and then remove the one torx-head screw that holds the panel in place.

The rest of the instructions are the same.

4973b6c7.jpg

garsh said:
Note that the 2011s and 2012s have different switches.
The top row has different size switches from the bottom row, so you can't swap switches between the two rows.

In order to release the dash panel, you have to first remove the two hex-head screws that hold the hood & charger release handle assembly, move that assembly out of the way, and then remove the one torx-head screw that holds the panel in place.

The rest of the instructions are the same.

Actually, you don't need to do that. The panel is flexible enough that you can pull it out just far enough to use a stubby philips to release the switch bracket and do the job with nothing more than a stubby. I did it just two days ago and only removed the screws holding the buttons to the panel.

I have a 12'.All I use is the wheel heater.The one is traction control ,I guess.The others do what ?Something with charging I guess.I like it easy .Plug it in,go to bed,wake-up..drive.Repeat every week day .

I don't suppose the wiring for defeating the external sounds is still there in the 13/14 model even though the button isn't? It would be just too easy if I could just install a button and plug it in...

I will be re-arranging them in my 2013 S to read Wheel, Charge Door, Timer Off, Lock (order from most-used to least...and I really need to be able to see the Wheel Heat light when I'm driving. All the others I adjust as I'm on my way out the door.

Great mod! Here's what I came up with:

leaf-buttons.jpg

I was tired of all the charge-related buttons being jumbled up with the steering wheel heater... and not being able to see the steering wheel heater button... and hitting it by mistake when I meant to disable the charge timer...

I get that Nissan doesn't want anyone accidentally disabling traction control, which is why they gave it its own row, but I figure with two blanks next to it and being hidden behind the steering wheel, I'll be ok... :D

I should also really do this mod, seeing the steering wheel heat button is quite hard for me when driving, having to try and peer through the steering wheel is kind of a hazard, what was Nissan thinking :roll:

Great modification. Just did mine today and wanted to remind new owners or anyone who was waiting for warm weather to do this, now's the time.

Just out of morbid curiosity, what is in a "fully loaded" button panel for a 2018?

There are six positions, but all I see in the owner's manual are (1) flap release, (2) immediate charge, (3) steering wheel heater, and (4) ProPilot. What would go in the other two? User-defined, like my proposed "flap ajar" indicator?

FWIW, the blanks for a 2018 are Nissan P/N 68492 5SA0A. List around $10, street around $6 + S&H.

Looking at the button panel, I found that the slot where I'd pulled out the blank had a poor sight-line.

Since I had the port-side lower dashboard open anyway, to run my wire, I took the opportunity to back out the screws holding the button-panel in place, remove the lower-left blank (just below the flap-release), and stick it in the upper-right slot (where I'd removed the blank before).

I also took my hollowed-out blank, taped a piece of dark-gray window film over the face of it, and poured in some epoxy. After I took a nap, I took off the tape, and found that I now have a blank with a dark gray window in it, the same size as the icon I'd prepared for it. It ain't perfect, but it'll do.

Line of sight issues are the primary reason for moving these buttons around. I found, in my 2013, that I couldn't see the heated steering wheel button while driving. I put it in a better place, and a year or three later, Nissan followed suit. It took them a while to figure out that some buttons need to be visible while driving, and some don't.

Its funny I moved my heated steering wheel button over so I could see it as well, but then after a month of driving at night, the glowing light started to annoy me so I moved it back behind the steering wheel ;) But it is nice to be able to put them where you prefer rather than fixed forever.

BrockWI said:
Its funny I moved my heated steering wheel button over so I could see it as well, but then after a month of driving at night, the glowing light started to annoy me so I moved it back behind the steering wheel

Well, in this case, the only time it would be lit up is if I power up the vehicle with the flap ajar, so I would WANT it to be as annoying as possible. That's why I'm also putting in a rather obnoxious beeper.

True story: many years ago, I was working a temporary assignment, fixing classroom computers for the Los Angeles Unified School District. The senior planner in the computer repair department was also the senior alarm planner. And he was evaluating a gizmo that combined a digital voice recorder with a motion sensor.

He set it up covering the shop entrance, with the message,
Think again: do you really want to come in here? You could end up with more work.

Back