Hawaii Free Parking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard that you can park up to a week at Honolulu airport. Some say because of the new law, it's only for 24 hours (which doesn't make a lot of sense since most people park for longer than a day).

Is there a definitive answer somewhere? There's no info on the airport website.

cboy808 said:
Hey all,

So I called the Airport today and they said that EV's can park free at the Airport for up to 30days still. Has anyone else parked at the airport recently and can confirm? I'm going on a trip in a week (for 6 days) and dont wanna end up with a huge parking bill to end the trip.

http://hawaii.gov/hnl/airport-parking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I called the # at the bottom of this section for the Parking Office.

So were you able to park for free?

My understanding from the law past last July or so was that we can park at the Honolulu airport for only 24 hours. However, a couple of months ago, I was pleasantly surprised when I put my name, License number, and phone number on the parking voucher and it was free after 3 days of parking! Maybe they never got the memo? Print the page out that shows 30 days of parking and show it to the attendant if you have any problems.

kpkimi said:
My understanding from the law past last July or so was that we can park at the Honolulu airport for only 24 hours. However, a couple of months ago, I was pleasantly surprised when I put my name, License number, and phone number on the parking voucher and it was free after 3 days of parking! Maybe they never got the memo? Print the page out that shows 30 days of parking and show it to the attendant if you have any problems.

Where is that page?

Sorry - could not find the page on the Honolulu airport parking website. I did call the number listed to verify that I could park my Leaf for 10 days and they said yes, as long as it was under 30 days. This was for the end of March, 2013 and so far, so good.

Jut got back from a ten-day trip and the attendant at the gate simply took my parking ticket without saying a word.

Headsup all....

My wife just got back from a trip on Monday June 10th, she was parked there for 3 days. It was free....the parking attendant told her that as of JULY 1st this year, 24hours will me the max time free.

That really sucks that they are finally going to enforce it, who goes on a trip for less than 24hours? Even when we fly to outer islands we stay for 2 days.

If anyone experiences anything differently please let us know!

This is now on the airport parking website...
http://hawaii.gov/hnl/airport-parking/electric-vehicle-parking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Electric Vehicle Parking

Designated parking spaces for electric vehicles will be provided in the international arrivals parking structure at various locations on levels 1, 5, 6, 7 and 8. These spaces will be identified with ground markings and signs. In addition, an electric vehicle charging station will be located on level 1 of the international arrivals parking structure.

"Electric vehicle" means: A neighborhood electric vehicle or a vehicle with four or more wheels that draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least four kilowatt hours of energy storage capacity that can be recharged from an external source of electricity.

Effective July 1, 2013, an electric vehicle on which an electric vehicle license plate is affixed shall be exempt from payment of parking fees for a maximum of 24 hours. Applicable parking fees will be charged to electric vehicles parked in excess of 24 hours.

I can vouch for this as well. Returned from a five-day trip and was told that only 24 hours are free. *ouch*

What's the point of one-day parking at the airport? I mean, how many people go on a one-day trip? Unless the rationale is that at least you're getting one day free if you own an electric car.

Go figgah.

As of 8/27/13, the 24-hour rule has been challenged and overturned: http://bit.ly/16ZUVe5

'...Honolulu resident Dale Podoll challenged the new charge on grounds that it conflicted with the law exempting vehicles with “EV” license plates from paying parking fees.
After consulting with the state Attorney General’s Office, the department told him last week that he would receive a refund. Podoll alerted Kokua Line to the reversal.
As we reported earlier, an electric vehicle, with an EV license plate, is allowed to park for free at state or county parking lots or metered stalls with these exceptions: while parked at a charging station; while parked for more than 2 1/2 hours at a meter or the maximum amount of time allowed, whichever is longer; while parked for longer than one 24-hour day, including under weekly, monthly or annual parking permits.
Transportation spokeswoman Caroline Sluyter had said that meant, “At the airport, electric vehicles get the first 24 hours free and then have to pay the regular rate.”
Asked about Podoll’s challenge, Sluyter said that after consulting with the Attorney General's office, the department was advised that the legislative intent was that electric vehicles should not be charged for parking in public lots.
“A refund will be issued through our parking concessionaire” and posted signs will be changed, Sluyter said.
She also said anyone else with an electric vehicle and a receipt showing the paid parking fees after the first 24 hours at Honolulu Airport also is entitled to a refund.
What that means for other state or county parking lots that offer long-term parking is not certain. Sluyter said the department had asked only for clarification regarding airport fees. ...'

Anyone know if there is an upper limit on the number of days you can park for free at the airport?

Cuinne said:
Anyone know if there is an upper limit on the number of days you can park for free at the airport?

Just got back from a 3 week trip: left the car with @95% charge at the HNL airport; returned to 91% charge on the battery, and no charge for the parking. I was told upto 30 days max, which is the longest you can leave any car in airport parking.

I'm new to this website and just started working in downtown Honolulu. Does anyone know if there is any free EV parking in the area?

Resurrection...So some parking has decided to charge for EV's, one guy wanted to argue that I was driving a versa, it was in the Bank tower...4 bucks to charge, tried to ding me $20, for 2 hours...I was really pissed and got him down to $10. but still, either be upfront about free or not.

Back