Sunroof!! Finally!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Webasto employee emailed be back and explained that there was a recall on the glass of the TVS 930 series and that they fixed it and if you buy one now you should get the new model with the fix.

The following URL explains how to identify if you have a recall model# and it explains the problem.

http://sunroofcheck.us/identify-your-sunroof.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Webasto Product North America, Inc. ("WPNA") has decided that a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety may exist in vehicles equipped with certain Hollandia 700 and 600 ("700/600") aftermarket (non-factory installed) sunroofs manufactured from 2002-2009 and all TVS 900 ("900") series aftermarket sunroofs. These sunroofs are involved in a voluntary safety recall. In rare instances, conditions existing with the adhesive bond between the glass and metal frame in these affected Hollandia 700/600 and Hollandia TVS 900 series aftermarket (non-factory installed) sunroofs can increase the risk that the sunroof glass may completely debond from its frame. Completely debonded sunroof glass can detach from the vehicle while driving and could strike another vehicle or injure a pedestrian.

Complete glass-to-frame debonding can develop gradually and may be evidenced by metal corrosion around the sunroof frame, wind noise, vibration, visual bond separation and/or water leakage. These conditions may be observable for several months before complete glass-to-frame adhesion debonding can ultimately occur.

WPNA is leading this voluntary safety recall to ensure that proper measures are taken to fix the issue. As a family-owned company, WPNA takes safety seriously and is committed to helping you keep your family and community safe.

This recall is old news. Not sure why you are bringing it up if you're getting the 5300 which I still wouldn't get. Picture it this way. You have your roof open and you drive into your garage. You shut off your car and by doing so the roof automatically closes. Now think if that was your window instead. It's bogus that it does this. If I want my window or roof closed *I* will decide that by pushing the window or roof switch, not some control module that doesn't know, nor can't sense that I want the roof to stay open in my garage for ventilation for example. The 4300 is the roof to get in my opinion.

Hey. Mr know it all. Just because its old new to you doesn't mean somebody here that is searching for info on a sunroof for their leaf will know it as well. This is why I posted it. Also the installers in my area are not installing the 900 series anymore because of a recall that was already fixed. They are black-balling a product line because of past history. People who want the new version can't get it.

I don't have a sunroof yet. I want the 930 series. So stop assuming that I'm getting a 5300.

Leaf owners should be aware. If you don't think so. Big ****. If you're not going to be a positive contributor than move on, we don't need a Troll.

oxo said:
This recall is old news. Not sure why you are bringing it up if you're getting the 5300 which I still wouldn't get. Picture it this way. You have your roof open and you drive into your garage. You shut off your car and by doing so the roof automatically closes. Now think if that was your window instead. It's bogus that it does this. If I want my window or roof closed *I* will decide that by pushing the window or roof switch, not some control module that doesn't know, nor can't sense that I want the roof to stay open in my garage for ventilation for example. The 4300 is the roof to get in my opinion.

Lasareath said:
Looks like i'm getting the 5300.or nothing,
Lasereath said:
I don't have a sunroof yet. I want the 930 series. So stop assuming that I'm getting a 5300.
Leaf owners should be aware. If you don't think so. Big ****. If you're not going to be a positive contributor than move on, we don't need a Troll.

Calm down. You've only said you're getting the 5300 two or three times in the thread so for you to now say stop assuming that's the model you are getting only shows that you are either a mental midget or suffer from short term memory loss - or perhaps both. Which would also explain why you've now decided the model you want is the recalled one they are no longer installing and have come up with your half baked notion that providing input on the best roof to get (imho) is trolling. :lol:

FYI, the auto-close feature is nice when you want it to close, a minor inconvenience when you don't. Either way, it's very easy to cancel. When you turn the car off, you have a few seconds where you can push any button on the sunroof controls and get that action. ie: if you have the sunroof open to your favorite spot and want to keep it there, then when you turn the car off, just reach up and push the "*" button and it will stay right where it is. Just like the any other oft-repeated action of driving a car, you get used to it.

Thanks for that Info. I don't park in a garage, When I get home I close my windows 100% of the time, so the sunroof closing by itself is a good feature for me.

PatricioEV said:
FYI, the auto-close feature is nice when you want it to close, a minor inconvenience when you don't. Either way, it's very easy to cancel. When you turn the car off, you have a few seconds where you can push any button on the sunroof controls and get that action. ie: if you have the sunroof open to your favorite spot and want to keep it there, then when you turn the car off, just reach up and push the "*" button and it will stay right where it is. Just like the any other oft-repeated action of driving a car, you get used to it.

I emailed Webasto and received an email back telling me that if an installer buys a 930 series now they will get the corrected version.

I forwarded that email to Rick at AutoSunroof in NJ and wasn't interested. He told me that he's still leery about the 930 series.

So I called Luis from their Hackensack location and he let me in on a little secret, Webasto forces their resellers to buy specialized tools to install the two panel series and those tools are expensive and can only be used for the two panel sunroofs. This is another reason people are not installing them.

He said the 5300 requires tools they already own and use every single day. It's easy to install and that's why they convince people to get a 5300 instead of a 930.

I have no choice in the matter, I don't have time to drive to Texas to get a 930 installed in my car. Oh Well I guess it's either nothing or a 5300.

06-12-13: They called me to drop off my Car on Friday the 14th and they said they will have it done by end of day Saturday. :)

Dropped off my Leaf this morning at 8am. They said it should be done by Noon tomorrow. :)

Total price shown below with tax. They charged my card before doing the install.
webasto5300installed.jpg

All done. They did a Great Job. Here's a Video. Took pictures but have to run to a BBQ.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvhgVrRl3Hk[/youtube]

2013_Leaf_with_Webasto_5300_1.jpg

2013_Leaf_with_Webasto_5300_2.jpg

2013_Leaf_with_Webasto_5300_3.jpg

2013_Leaf_with_Webasto_5300_4.jpg

2013_Leaf_with_Webasto_5300_5.jpg

2013_Leaf_with_Webasto_5300_6.jpg

2013_Leaf_with_Webasto_5300_7.jpg

2013_Leaf_with_Webasto_5300_8.jpg

2013_Leaf_with_Webasto_5300_9.jpg

Here's some good info from the Operating Guide:

Note: During certain driving conditions you may encounter wind buffeting with
the sunroof completely opened. This is caused by unequal air pressure between the
outside and the inside of your vehicle. To eliminate this occurrence, you may either
lower any door glass approximately 1" or bring the sunroof glass forward 1 ".

5300 ignition-off operation:
When the diver's door is closed and the ignition signal is terminated your sunroof will
automatically move to full closed position. To stop the glass from moving press and release
either pad on the sunroof switch. (I've tested this and the sunroof stops closing when I press any button on the control after turning off the leaf)

When the ignition is off and you stop the glass from moving by pressing either pad on the
sunroof switch your sunroof will cease to function. In order to regain full functionality of
your Sunroof you must either wait 10 seconds or reintroduce the ignition signal.

As an added safety feature the ignition-off close feature on your Solaire 5300 will only
function if the driver's door is fully closed. If at anytime during any ignition-off sunroof
operation you open the driver's door, all sunroof functionality will stop. (My Car does not do this, I tested it, the Sunroof closes completely, opening my door after turning the car off does not halt the closing)

In order to regain functionality of your Sunroof you must reintroduce the ignition signal.
In order to have ignition-off operation on your Solaire 5300 your vehicle must be equipped
with a delayed accessory system, please consult an authorized Solaire 5300 sunroof installer
for more details.

Below is the Operational Guide and Warranty Info for the SolAire 4300/5300:
http://s4l.co/Webasto_Sunroof_Operating_Guide__Warranty_Registration_for_the SolAire_4300_5300.pdf

Looks sharp. I'm fairly certain Nissan doesn't have it as an option to help keep costs down as much as possible and to maintain bragging rights for the ridiculously low drag coefficient. You may lose a mile with that, but very sharp and looks like it was done flawlessly!

PatricioEV said:
That looks very nice!

Thanks! :)

HungryTurkey said:
Looks sharp. I'm fairly certain Nissan doesn't have it as an option to help keep costs down as much as possible and to maintain bragging rights for the ridiculously low drag coefficient. You may lose a mile with that, but very sharp and looks like it was done flawlessly!

With all the windows open and the sunroof open and driving above 50 mph I notice a little more loss in range, but that's OK because I rarely do highway driving. My daily commute is 52 miles. So a couple miles loss is not a problem.

Huge thanks to Sal for recommending Auto Sunroof in Hackensack - They did a flawless job inside and out and even plugged in the car while working on it so that I could make the 130 mile roundtrip. I got the Webasta 4300 since I don't see myself forgetting to close the roof after I park. It still has the one-touch full open as well as the power tilt and for about $1K installed it's a great deal. Here's what it looks like on my Metallic Slate SV:
LeafSunroof.jpg

It is very funtsionalnost, and I myself used to cars with hatch. Then there is no choice when buying a Nissan Leaf with a hatch or not. Installing hatch not Dealers Nissan removes cars with warranty. But this does not apply to cars which ended guarantee. However, I see the photo that little glass is not ideal bend the roof, don `t know how to look like a living, but it's not a problem.

http://files.mail.ru/0847B367E495493FB889C56E01441856?t=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://files.mail.ru/0847B367E495493FB889C56E01441856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the united states Nissan cannot remove warranty from the Car if an owner installs a Sunroof. We have a Law that prevents car manufacturers from doing so. Not sure about your country.

I did not get the sunroof in your picture because I could not find any installers that would put one in, they did not like that model because one batch had glass panels that would fly off while driving.

There was a recall from Webasto (the manufacturer who made the sunroof) but the installers in NJ would not install them anymore.

My Sunroof has been working perfectly, no issues whatsoever http://www.NISSANleafSUNROOF.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mostenec said:
It is very funtsionalnost, and I myself used to cars with hatch. Then there is no choice when buying a Nissan Leaf with a hatch or not. Installing hatch not Dealers Nissan removes cars with warranty. But this does not apply to cars which ended guarantee. However, I see the photo that little glass is not ideal bend the roof, don `t know how to look like a living, but it's not a problem.

http://files.mail.ru/0847B367E495493FB889C56E01441856?t=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://files.mail.ru/0847B367E495493FB889C56E01441856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lasareath said:
In the united states Nissan cannot remove warranty from the Car if an owner installs a Sunroof. We have a Law that prevents car manufacturers from doing so. Not sure about your country.

I did not get the sunroof in your picture because I could not find any installers that would put one in, they did not like that model because one batch had glass panels that would fly off while driving.

There was a recall from Webasto (the manufacturer who made the sunroof) but the installers in NJ would not install them anymore.

My Sunroof has been working perfectly, no issues whatsoever http://www.NISSANleafSUNROOF.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[/quote]

I talked about the comments on the hatch mounted on a red Nissan leaf, pointed to a picture arrows. As for the hatch on silver leaf, all right.

Have my Sunroof in my LEAF one year and no problems at all. I Love it. It also helps to make me warmer in the winter since more sun gets inside the cabin.

http://www.nissanLEAFsunroof.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back