mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: Sleeping in your Leaf

Sun May 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before:

Just wondering if you could be plugged-in on either L1 or L2 while charging the vehicle, and have the A/C turned on while having a snooze. It'd be nice to be camping inside your vehicle while getting a charge. :-)

kubel
Leaf Number: 19628

Sun May 25, 2014 6:57 pm

I was considering doing this. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the LEAF could serve as a domicile, if need be. After moving all of my possessions (minus couch and bed) in my LEAF to my new house, I'm really finding out how practical (thanks to its hatchback design) this car really is compared to previous car (a full size sedan).
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
20% degradation in 42k miles
Leased 5-17-2012, Returned 1-15-2016

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Siren Red Tintcoat
Leased 10-21-2016

ehunter
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2013

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:41 am

ehunter wrote:If anybody thinks they can use the Truck-bedz matterss, I will sell it to somebody here at a nice discount, else I will ebay it for as much as I can get for it. I Paid $200, and I will sell it to you for $150 including shipping.

One last post here before I offer the Truck-bedz mattress on ebay....

Any takers?

GRA

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:00 pm

FWIW, I've been using a 20" x 72" x 1.5" Thermarest pad in my Forester for years, as well as for the ski-camping and shorter backpacking trips where weight isn't critical that I bought it for. For a pure car and car camping pad I'd probably want a wider one, but I'm too cheap to spend the money when what I have works. Going longer than 72" can be problematic depending on the car; most of the wider pads are 77" long, so check first.

It provides plenty of cushioning. It all depends on what you're used to - for summer backpacking trips I routinely sleep on a 20" x 48" closed cell foam pad, although I wouldn't choose to use something like that in the car when weight and bulk aren't an issue.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

theds
Delivery Date: 09 May 2014

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:27 pm

Yes. Have done it while waiting for DCFC to complete under the hot sun.

mxp wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before:

Just wondering if you could be plugged-in on either L1 or L2 while charging the vehicle, and have the A/C turned on while having a snooze. It'd be nice to be camping inside your vehicle while getting a charge. :-)

mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:14 pm

theds wrote:Yes. Have done it while waiting for DCFC to complete under the hot sun.

Thanks for your reply. May I ask, what was the sequence of operation?

Did you begin first by having the vehicle in complete shut-off mode. Plugged in the QC and began charging first before you went back into the vehicle and turned on car?

ehunter
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2013

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:26 am

GRA wrote:FWIW, I've been using a 20" x 72" x 1.5" Thermarest pad in my Forester for years, as well as for the ski-camping and shorter backpacking trips where weight isn't critical that I bought it for. For a pure car and car camping pad I'd probably want a wider one, but I'm too cheap to spend the money when what I have works. Going longer than 72" can be problematic depending on the car; most of the wider pads are 77" long, so check first.

It provides plenty of cushioning. It all depends on what you're used to - for summer backpacking trips I routinely sleep on a 20" x 48" closed cell foam pad, although I wouldn't choose to use something like that in the car when weight and bulk aren't an issue.

I also have the 1.5 in thermarest. What bugs me about it is when I sleep I tend to roll around from flat on my back to my side. The parts of my body, knees/feet/backside tend to slide off the pad enough to where I notice it and it bothers my sleep. I am not a big guy, 5'8", 145lbs. This is why I bought the prementioned pad 30in-er. However if I had to do this again
I would buy the equivalent 25in-er. I think the 25in may allow me to sleep with one of the back seats still in place, creating an extra place to put stuff.

My 1.5in Thermarest also balloons around depending on how my weight shifts which is also bothersome. But the 4" thick one I have now... NICE! Was the most comfortable I have been on ever. In retrospect though I think the 25in one may present more options in the leaf.

johnrhansen
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:55 am

My leaf is my only car. This setup would work great for long trips. Since it takes so long to charge, and you have to charge so frequently, sleeping in the car is a great way to pass the time.
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

theds
Delivery Date: 09 May 2014

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:30 am

Don't remember the exact sequence. But I suppose this is what I would do. Nothing tricky, really.

mxp wrote:Thanks for your reply. May I ask, what was the sequence of operation?

Did you begin first by having the vehicle in complete shut-off mode. Plugged in the QC and began charging first before you went back into the vehicle and turned on car?

MikeinDenver
Delivery Date: 03 May 2014
Leaf Number: 413923

Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:54 pm

mxp wrote:
theds wrote:Yes. Have done it while waiting for DCFC to complete under the hot sun.

Thanks for your reply. May I ask, what was the sequence of operation?

I have been able to turn the car off, hook up to the QC, come back in and put it in the on position but not turn on the vehicle and then turn on the AC, monitor charging etc. It does charge a bit slower but that may not be of consequence.
2013 SL

Return to “Pacific USA”