How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telematics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HiTekLoLife, I was thinking of doing the same thing (running my own cables all the way from Driver to camera), let me know how you're doing :)

Thanks,

Jean-Marc

I've run a wire that has four separate wires inside of it directly from the drivers kickpanel to the back hatch. I connected M21 pins 24 & 25 to camera Red & White, 8 & 9 to the camera Black and other color. I've grounded M21 pin 7. I DID replace the hatch harness so that the camera has a place to plug into. So, I've spliced my wire into the new hatch harness. (I purchased the second harness that goes between the hatch and the C-Pillar, but that just seemed like a huge project to run that baby through the side of the hatch...)

I have the screen turning blank with the guides - when I put it into reverse... But no video.

It's been -20 to 15 degrees max (Fahrenheit) in Minnesota lately, so it's finding heated garage space for me and that's not always easy. I'm way to dedicated to this project. Should really wait for summer...

Are we sure that 24 & 25 supply the power?
Any ideas why I may not be getting any luck with the video?

My next project is to test the theory there there is no power being supplied and to possibly bring an analog video source and see if that will show up on the screen. (but that sounds like a nice summer project...)

Any thoughts will be welcome.

Paul

I gave a copy of an earlier post regarding this to the service department of my dealer and asked if they were willing to do it for 1 1/2 labor as the previous OP's dealer did it for three hours.

They have been sitting on it because there is some ''rumor" that this may actually come out as a dealer installed option for the earlier cars without it.

Will have to see if anything hatches!

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    3.2 KB · Views: 102
greengate said:
I gave a copy of an earlier post regarding this to the service department of my dealer and asked if they were willing to do it for 1 1/2 labor as the previous OP's dealer did it for three hours.

They have been sitting on it because there is some ''rumor" that this may actually come out as a dealer installed option for the earlier cars without it.

Will have to see if anything hatches!

Don't want to be negative except I find that mods progress more rapid when set up as open source projects and involve multi-thinkers, i.e., the Leaf EVSE project which grew out of this forum:

https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are many decisions involved with dealers and car makers; they must assess liability, policy, profit and risk, etc.
Only takes one 'NO' to sink an idea.

You might consider setting up an open source project; there is much discussion in the media about replacing rear view mirrors with cameras along with the side view mirrors as a future expansion. The project might become very popular.

Does anyone have experience doing this mod in a 2013 SV around the Los Angeles area? I am willing to pay for some help with the install, I already purchased all of the hardware. Please email me anthonynava (at) csu.fullerton.edu or you can reply here. Thanks!

4n7h0ny said:
Does anyone have experience doing this mod in a 2013 SV around the Los Angeles area? I am willing to pay for some help with the install, I already purchased all of the hardware. Please email me anthonynava (at) csu.fullerton.edu or you can reply here. Thanks!
Would you mind sharing the particulars about the hardware with us? What, where and how much?

fotajoye said:
4n7h0ny said:
Would you mind sharing the particulars about the hardware with us? What, where and how much?

Sure, the hardware I purchased is the following from tascaparts.com:

24051-3NF0B
HARNESS BACK DR
$48.56

24052-3NF0C
HARNESS BACK DR
$20.22

28442-3NH0A
REAR CAMERA
$129.69

90606-3NF4B
HANDLE, OUTSIDE
$50.31

01454-N5021
SCREW
$1.34

I am will to pay a reasonable rate for the labor, just name your price.

4n7h0ny said:
fotajoye said:
4n7h0ny said:

Sure, the hardware I purchased is the following from tascaparts.com:

24051-3NF0B
HARNESS BACK DR
$48.56

24052-3NF0C
HARNESS BACK DR
$20.22

28442-3NH0A
REAR CAMERA
$129.69

90606-3NF4B
HANDLE, OUTSIDE
$50.31

01454-N5021
SCREW
$1.34

I am will to pay a reasonable rate for the labor, just name your price.

Thanks for the info
Try a PM to "greengate"; lf that doesn't work out, you may want to try hunting around in this thread for someone who is actively working on the idea and PM them.

Ramius83 said:
Second, I did successfully a rear view camera using all of the OEM equipment to an 2013 SL model that did not have any rear view camera or all around view. I used the parts list from that one post that someone did with the OEM part numbers. I did NOT need the actual rear hatch harness because that SL already had the 4 camera wires and connector at the hatch where the camera would plug in to. The very first time I put the car into reverse, it worked like a charm.

OK, so my dealer has put in the camera and hatch on my 2013 SL but can't make it work... was this just Plug and Play or did you have to do anything else?

Thanks,
Chuck

I just wanted to thank the OP and the other posters that gave out such useful information.

I have a 2011 Leaf with no backup camera but was hoping that this tutorial would work for me too. I can tell you that all the harnesses worked for me and the new handle and camera fit the 2011. My biggest problem was that there was absolutely no wiring from the rear quarter panel to the HU. In fact I should have gone to the plug at the radio first and noticed that there were no wires in pins 56-60 but I didn't and rather than be stuck wasting money and the time I already had into the install, I used the OP's method but with OEM parts.

Rather than buying pins though, I reused three wired pins from the old harness at the rear hatch and put them in the plug at the radio. Everything seems to be working though including the lines that move with steering.

Thanks again.

AZRVExpert said:
I just wanted to thank the OP and the other posters that gave out such useful information.

I have a 2011 Leaf with no backup camera but was hoping that this tutorial would work for me too. I can tell you that all the harnesses worked for me and the new handle and camera fit the 2011. My biggest problem was that there was absolutely no wiring from the rear quarter panel to the HU. In fact I should have gone to the plug at the radio first and noticed that there were no wires in pins 56-60 but I didn't and rather than be stuck wasting money and the time I already had into the install, I used the OP's method but with OEM parts.

Rather than buying pins though, I reused three wired pins from the old harness at the rear hatch and put them in the plug at the radio. Everything seems to be working though including the lines that move with steering.

Thanks again.

Did you take any pictures of the harness or wiring during your install?

Did you take any pictures of the harness or wiring during your install?[/quote]

No sadly. But like I said there weren't any wires to take a photo of anyway. I just cut the five unused wires at the rear plug that came with the new harness. I jumped the extra/new ground lead at the back panel to the white lead at the plug which is ground for the camera. The red wire is power to the camera and I just hooked that to the red/blue reverse light wire at the light just a few inches away. That just leaves the other black wire and yellow wire to run to the head unit.

At the HU I put in three pinned wires into 56 59 60. 56 was grounded to the radio mount. It was something of a guess as to 59 or 60 being black or yellow. However, once I tested it out, yellow was all that was required for video. I swapped yellow and black to make sure but there was no video so no harm if hooked up backward.

All in all, I'm not sure I would have done it again, but as I was already started.

AZRVExpert said:
Did you take any pictures of the harness or wiring during your install?

No sadly. But like I said there weren't any wires to take a photo of anyway. I just cut the five unused wires at the rear plug that came with the new harness. I jumped the extra/new ground lead at the back panel to the white lead at the plug which is ground for the camera. The red wire is power to the camera and I just hooked that to the red/blue reverse light wire at the light just a few inches away. That just leaves the other black wire and yellow wire to run to the head unit.

At the HU I put in three pinned wires into 56 59 60. 56 was grounded to the radio mount. It was something of a guess as to 59 or 60 being black or yellow. However, once I tested it out, yellow was all that was required for video. I swapped yellow and black to make sure but there was no video so no harm if hooked up backward.

All in all, I'm not sure I would have done it again, but as I was already started.[/quote]

What model of leaf do you have, S, SV or SL?

chuckb said:
Ramius83 said:
Second, I did successfully a rear view camera using all of the OEM equipment to an 2013 SL model that did not have any rear view camera or all around view. I used the parts list from that one post that someone did with the OEM part numbers. I did NOT need the actual rear hatch harness because that SL already had the 4 camera wires and connector at the hatch where the camera would plug in to. The very first time I put the car into reverse, it worked like a charm.

OK, so my dealer has put in the camera and hatch on my 2013 SL but can't make it work... was this just Plug and Play or did you have to do anything else?

Thanks,
Chuck

Did you ever get this to work?

I just completed an install on my 2013 SV w/CHA. All OEM harnesses and parts except wiring from C-pillar to LF kick panel. OEM Pins in OEM connectors. Only thing non OEM was wires. Works perfect and looks stock.

PM me, I'm in seattle area for install.

MechanicDan said:
I just completed an install on my 2013 SV w/CHA. All OEM harnesses and parts except wiring from C-pillar to LF kick panel. OEM Pins in OEM connectors. Only thing non OEM was wires. Works perfect and looks stock.

PM me, I'm in seattle area for install.

I actually just got back from visiting Seattle yesterday. So basically all stock parts works listed in this thread and there was no factory wiring from the c pillar to the drivers side kick plate. I have the same exact Leaf and am awaiting parts in the mail which should be delivered today.

Has anyone successfully got a third party backup camera to work on a 2013 SV leaf?

I plan to do this tomorrow and am thinking about getting this camera. I don't understand how people are putting a camera under the door handle without drilling a hole for the wires. Getting wires to the license plate looks pretty easy with no drilling required.

Thanks,
Scott

scottie said:
Has anyone successfully got a third party backup camera to work on a 2013 SV leaf?

I plan to do this tomorrow and am thinking about getting this camera. I don't understand how people are putting a camera under the door handle without drilling a hole for the wires. Getting wires to the license plate looks pretty easy with no drilling required.

Thanks,
Scott

Where are you located? I have installed one of those cameras on my old car. Water ended up leaking into the lens after about a year or so.

scottie said:

Thanks,
Scott

I have been waiting for crashed cars to appear in the recycle yards then I will remove all necessary components and swap/adapt them over, including the harnesses and surrounds I purchased an aftermarket camera for a race car and wasn't happy with the results...the image was off color and washed out easily. Sorry, I don't remember the brand.

Back