Adding a Brusa charger under the hood for '11/'12s

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brusa on sale on ebay
about 2 hours left
Like $1000 (way less than I paid)
Just FYI
They WORK!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Vehicle-3-3kW-Charger-by-Brusa-/181331657267?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a38358233&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just FYI on anybody "thinking" about those Brusa's.. those are the older/old original units. Old firmware and I was told needs or should be updated to work to fix a glitch.

It's the old original water cooled unit, so unless you know what you're doing.. I would not touch it, you'd spend more money then it's worth.

I'd get the current aircooled unit that's on there and do exactly what we did...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Azure-Dynam...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=181334688048&

Anyways, and just FYI.. Brusa has lowered the price on their chargers, the new WC units are smaller and VERY nice! :D

I should know... I have some now!

Just bought a water cooled BRUSA and I want to put it under the hood.....just wonder about cooling hoses ... would that be hard to connect? Can anyone help to locate them?

Wow .... if it were me ... I think I would have looked into that prior to making my purchase ... but that's just me ...

Paqo said:
Just bought a water cooled BRUSA and I want to put it under the hood.....just wonder about cooling hoses ... would that be hard to connect? Can anyone help to locate them?

I heard that they are in the front of the car under the hood area.

4 air cooled Brusa on Ebay for about $1000 each.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Vehicle-3-3kW-Charger-by-Brusa-/181364112076?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3a24bacc&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi all,

I have purchased a Brusa NLG513 Watercooled for retrofit into my 2012.09 Japan made Nissan Leaf.

I purchased a brand new Brusa with the cable kit to battery + connectors for $1940 total.

The LeafDD is ordered, so next step is to plan where to mount the charger.

When I start the project, I'll make a project thread with pictures etc.

Any thoughts?

This is the charger.

Br,
Thomas
(Norway)

Where did you get leaf DD? I thought they were out?

Did you get both from eBay?

DeadLock said:
Hi all,

I have purchased a Brusa NLG513 Watercooled for retrofit into my 2012.09 Japan made Nissan Leaf.

I purchased a brand new Brusa with the cable kit to battery + connectors for $1940 total.

The LeafDD is ordered, so next step is to plan where to mount the charger.

When I start the project, I'll make a project thread with pictures etc.

Any thoughts?

This is the charger.

Br,
Thomas
(Norway)

Hi kieranmullen,

I purchased the Brusa with all cables from a local distributor who was able to get a 50% discount on the Brusa products for a limited time.

The LeafDD was easy enough, as I contacted the manufacturer (Gary) directly and inquired about the device.

I'm looking forward to getting to work on the car.

Here in Norway, some people are swapping battery packs and doing other DIY on their Leaf's.

Br,
Thomas

DeadLock said:
The LeafDD was easy enough, as I contacted the manufacturer (Gary) directly and inquired about the device.
The LeafDD is not made by Gary but by GregH here on the forum. Good luck with your project, the hardest part is mounting it! :)

ok. straight up how hard is it to install one of these? I want just one to get me to 6.6kw (roughly) with the 3.3 built in.

I am having my EVSE Upgrades done to 6.6kw to so what future proof myself a little (brusa and or a new car in a few years when I have put 200k or so on this one etc..)

I do all my own work on my ICE cars. I know how to use wrenches sockets torque wrench etc.. I have pulled an engine.

I have VERY minor electrical knowledge. I know basic theory etc.. and I know respect it or you die :)

I have installed stereo's done outlets in the home etc.. basic soldering (not that great at it but I can do it)

is this a project I can safely undertake without hurting me or my car?

is there a step by step guide pics etc.. ? (I read many of the first pages and last pages of this thread not all of them if there is a step by step I am sorry for missing it what page does it start on?)

right now I am on L1 charging. I hope next week to be on 3.3kw L2 charging.

for now that is just fine. I have a feeling though that I am going to need 6.6kw more and more as my battery degrades (I fully expect to put minimum 30,000 miles a year on this car maybe 40,000) so I am hoping to get 3 years before I need to buy a battery pack. fingers crossed :)

the more power I can put back in between deliveries the less "reserve capacity" I need to finish a day without switching to my ice backup. this will become more critical as my battery degrades and I have less and less reserve capacity.

these buggers are expensive. so step 1 is to determine if I can do it myself and step 2 is to start saving for it NOW so when I do need it I have the money to buy it.

List of what I need and prices? Brusa and Leaf DD and custom plate?? is that it? the brusa comes with everything it needs to connect to the car?

can the existing wiring in my 2012 handle the increased current being added by the brusa? or do I need to upgrade that as well?

nerys said:
ok. straight up how hard is it to install one of these? I want just one to get me to 6.6kw (roughly) with the 3.3 built in.

I am having my EVSE Upgrades done to 6.6kw to so what future proof myself a little
Huh? There's an upgrade to a stock L1 Nissan EVSE from http://evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that will output 6.6 kW? I took a quick glance and they seem limited to 20 amps @ 240 volts, which is 4800 watts = 4.8 kW.

Apparently yes. they usually only do 3.3 because 11/12 can only handle 3.3

but they are essentially no different than the 13's it seems as far as modding. he said I can send 11/12 or 13 up chargers and he can mod them all to 6.6kw capable (they will auto do 3.3 in my 12 of course)

nerys said:
Apparently yes. they usually only do 3.3 because 11/12 can only handle 3.3

but they are essentially no different than the 13's it seems as far as modding. he said I can send 11/12 or 13 up chargers and he can mod them all to 6.6kw capable (they will auto do 3.3 in my 12 of course)
Huh? The L1 EVSE that comes with the '13 Leaf is NOT the same as the one that comes w/'11-12 Leafs. It's been redesigned. The J1772 handle, 120 volt plug and brick are all different. And, the brick of the '13 L1 EVSE is smaller.

From http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, it talks about 16 amps and 3.84 kW.

Which one at http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; can output 27.5 amps or more?

Dude. Your asking the wrong critter. I was buy one off ebay to have sent right to him. I asked if I got a 13 evse upgraded to 6.6 would it work with my 12.

He said yes and that he could perform the same 6.6kw mod to 11/12 evse too.

So ask them :)

nerys said:
Dude. Your asking the wrong critter. I was buy one off ebay to have sent right to him. I asked if I got a 13 evse upgraded to 6.6 would it work with my 12.

He said yes and that he could perform the same 6.6kw mod to 11/12 evse too.

So ask them :)
They who? Link please. Perhaps you didn't ask the right questions. You do understand the difference between the EVSE and the on-board charger and where there can be bottlenecks, right? See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14728&p=332668#p332668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Work is one thng. Supporting the max draw of the vehicle's OBC is another.

Looking at the J1772 handle of my '13 Leaf's L1 EVSE, it says AC20A 280V, which would be mean 5.6 kW at max. Seems like a bad idea to pull 6.6 kW through that.

I was buying an EVSE on ebay to have sent directly to EVSE Upgrades.

Now some of them were 11/12 and some were 13.

I initially found a 13 cheap (missed it) so I asked them if they could upgrade a 13 and would it work on my 12.

he said yes. it would be 6.6kw but of course my 12 would only draw 3.3kw. I thought that was great so I would already have 6.6kw EVSE for if and when I ever upgraded my car or got a new car later down the road.

he then mentioned they could do the 6.6kw upgrade to the 11/12 EVSE that it was no big deal. of course my car would still only draw 3.3kw but it would be 6.6kw capable.

fantastic. he said just send him my order number when I ordered and he would make the change.

name is Mark.

his reply to me

"If you upgrade your 2012 cord I can do the higher power upgrade with an L6-30 plug just like a 2013 model. If you have a 2013 cord I can do the same and they all work on every LEAF model. The 2011-12 cords will not work on a Tesla made product but most other EVs. "

Back