LEAFStat iPhone/iPad app to monitor battery status etc.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkjayakumar said:
What about all the other goodies the Andriod app displays like the individual cell voltages ?

Useless to most. The key parameter is AHr change over life and mileage.

Okay, got my OBDii mini, (with switch, nice touch) and in much less time than the stated delivery time. And easily configured and communicated with my Leaf (2011 SL). Ver 1.2 Leafstat. I'm using an Apple IPad a couple years old, but not sure of operating system version. I would like to see cell levels though.

My question is is it normal to have only 20.4 kwh available on a fully charged battery when there are only 6400 km total on this Leaf? Battery health though is just under 95%.

But it's really great when the technology works easily, first time! Seriously, the switch is a great feature on the OBDii, the leds even shine through the plastic so you ca visually determine if it is on or off.

JonO said:
Okay, got my OBDii mini, (with switch, nice touch) and in much less time than the stated delivery time. And easily configured and communicated with my Leaf (2011 SL). Ver 1.2 Leafstat. I'm using an Apple IPad a couple years old, but not sure of operating system version. I would like to see cell levels though.

My question is is it normal to have only 20.4 kwh available on a fully charged battery when there are only 6400 km total on this Leaf? Battery health though is just under 95%.

But it's really great when the technology works easily, first time! Seriously, the switch is a great feature on the OBDii, the leds even shine through the plastic so you ca visually determine if it is on or off.

Your 20.4 KWh is what my Leaf has (20.3) at 8700 miles (7 months old).

rslatkin said:
I just ordered this wifi OBD adapter that has a power button.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IUHDM64/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Delivery estimate is May 27-30. I'll let you know how it works after it arrives.

Been a couple of months. How well did this device work for you?

Anyone have a recommendation as to which wifi adapter seems like the best option? I see that a low profile one is desired. An on/off button on this linked one seems pretty nice too.
Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

foolios said:
rslatkin said:
I just ordered this wifi OBD adapter that has a power button.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IUHDM64/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Delivery estimate is May 27-30. I'll let you know how it works after it arrives.

Been a couple of months. How well did this device work for you?

Anyone have a recommendation as to which wifi adapter seems like the best option? I see that a low profile one is desired. An on/off button on this linked one seems pretty nice too.
Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I ordered this Friday, and it came today (Wednesday) from Kentucky, in perfect condition. Plugged it in and it worked fine, no set up needed. Connected to the app without issues. My first use of OBD. Easy.

FYI, the listing shows 2 different units, a shorter, whiter one, and a longer, blacker one. They sent me the latter, and it's not a problem plugged in. Tried and there was no way I could hit it with my leg. Off button worked OK, no problem with wifi.

So, with 18k on a car manufactured in 5/12, driven since 11/12, (started at 10 miles on odometer), so 20 months in, and app shows:

91.79% SOH
91.06 Hx
60.82 Ahr

Which, if I'm reading Stoaty's model correctly, is right in line for a car in the Boston area.

Question: Are the kWhs shown whats available to me, or whats in the pack, total?

Tires reported at 42.25 (3), and 42.5 (1), which is fine since I set them them in the shade on a cool morning at 41 and they're at 90 degrees in the sun and freshly driven on today.

Would also advocate for the ability to see the last values recorded. But don't mind the error screens as then I'm sure I've turned the unit off.

All in all a good app, thanks. What else can you do with it?

I hardly ever get below LBW, but it'll be handy if I do.

There's a used LEAF on Route 20 I'll go check out with it, so good for that.

I have the same set up, but my Leaf is a 2011. The OBDii mini came with a black extender about 2 in long. I'm not sure if it has any electronics in it or not, but the OBDii works fine without it, so I'll just toss the extender in my junk drawer.
I run LeafStat on an IPad using the connect configurations given, and it works just fine. I also tried it on an I Pod, without setting anything, and it was detected and it also works fine.
My first reading showed about 94.4 SOC, and now about a thousand KMs later it reads about 94.03. I hope I'm not going to lose a full % every 1000 kms!
I haven't seen much advantage to using the app, other than it seems to corroborate what my dash is telling me. The extra peace of mind is nice though. But, I am glad to have it, as I enjoy getting the increased data and charting it for posterity.

Hey dm33, thanks! I've used it a week now and I like it a lot.

I don't know what LeafSpy does that this doesn't, but what LeafStat does seems good enough for now.

Ive learned my tires vary from 38-42 psi depending on conditions. I knew pressure varied, but thought it was 1 or 2, not 4.

I'm not used to thinking in Gids. If you're using 77.5 Whs as a Gid, that's 12.9 Gids/kWh. I average 4m/kWh, so I average ~3.25 Gids/mile, or about 1/3 of a mile per Gid.

I've never seen turtle, but if it comes on when I've got about 1/4 mile left, will it come on at 1 Gid remaining?

So, the car shuts down at zero Gids?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I'm not used to thinking in Gids. If you're using 77.5 Whs as a Gid, that's 12.9 Gids/kWh. I average 4m/kWh, so I average ~3.25 Gids/mile, or about 1/3 of a mile per Gid.

I've never seen turtle, but if it comes on when I've got about 1/4 mile left, will it come on at 1 Gid remaining?

So, the car shuts down at zero Gids?

Found this: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10960&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Explains it, sort of. Expect turtle anywhere below 8 Gids. (or two Williams?)

I'm having a weird problem with the app. I started noticing that on a full charge it would report "12 bars" as text, but the segmented graphical display would show 11 bars. Since my 2012 was close to losing a bar I figured this was related. The car did eventually lose its first bar.

A couple of weeks ago I turned in the lease and got a 2015. I added this car to CarWings (with a new 'nickname') and deleted the old one. Everything about CarWings seems to work fine. The only thing is, the LeafStat app is still only "lighting" 11 bars, even though correctly reporting "SOC 12 bars".

Interestingly, I also have LeafStat installed on my iPad Mini and it is lighting all 12 bars.

I have tried deleting and re-installing the app on the phone but the problem is still showing up. iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1

One other item of interest... This happened only once, near the end of the 2012. The iPad app only lit 11 bars and the 12th one, instead of being blank, was filled with diagonal yellow and black stripes. :?

It's just a cosmetic issue but wondering if anyone else has seen this or has an idea on how to fix it. Sent an email to the developer but haven't heard back.

Nubo said:
I'm having a weird problem with the app. I started noticing that on a full charge it would report "12 bars" as text, but the segmented graphical display would show 11 bars. Since my 2012 was close to losing a bar I figured this was related. The car did eventually lose its first bar.

A couple of weeks ago I turned in the lease and got a 2015. I added this car to CarWings (with a new 'nickname') and deleted the old one. Everything about CarWings seems to work fine. The only thing is, the LeafStat app is still only "lighting" 11 bars, even though correctly reporting "SOC 12 bars".

Interestingly, I also have LeafStat installed on my iPad Mini and it is lighting all 12 bars.

I have tried deleting and re-installing the app on the phone but the problem is still showing up. iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1

One other item of interest... This happened only once, near the end of the 2012. The iPad app only lit 11 bars and the 12th one, instead of being blank, was filled with diagonal yellow and black stripes. :?

It's just a cosmetic issue but wondering if anyone else has seen this or has an idea on how to fix it. Sent an email to the developer but haven't heard back.
I noticed the same on my iPhone6+. When the car is at 12 bars, it says "12 bars" but only colors in 11 bars on the graph. My ipad (3rd gen running 8.1) shows the normal 12 bar display.

I wouldn't worry about it.

adspguy said:
I noticed the same on my iPhone6+. When the car is at 12 bars, it says "12 bars" but only colors in 11 bars on the graph. My ipad (3rd gen running 8.1) shows the normal 12 bar display.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks! Sounds like it may have to do with new versions of iOS on iPhone then. It would fit with when I did the updates but I hadn't used the app in close enough proximity to the updates to draw any conclusions.

I agree it's just cosmetic. Then again, nobody likes an empty battery bar. :p

Hi is there any plan to add a clearing error code feature like the leafspy has? my car throw codes randomly every month or so that prevent me from charging the battery until codes are reset, this would be a life saver :) here is my issue http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18877&p=406431#p406431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kilimats said:
Hi is there any plan to add a clearing error code feature like the leafspy has? my car throw codes randomly every month or so that prevent me from charging the battery until codes are reset, this would be a life saver :) here is my issue http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18877&p=406431#p406431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leaf Spy Pro for iOS is coming.

so this morning I did my first battery check with leafstat on my 2014 Leaf S with 7500 miles:

GID 260 / 20.15kWh

96.05 % SOC

91.64 % Capacity (SOH)
93.25 % HX
60.72 Ahr
50.5 F Avg. Temp.

How does this look like for the car made in Feb 2014 and 7500 miles?

We charge every other day to 100% using L2 charger at home. Most times I have 20-30% of juice left when we plug the car in.

edit:
when I look at the battery loss model my battery profile fits perfectly. Time loss is 6.9% (one year old car) and distance loss is 1.5% (7500 miles driven) combined give you 8.4% loss which is where my battery is. sad part about is is that my capacity loss if it continues at this rate will not qualify my for replacement battery before the 5 yr/60K miles waranty..maybe I should let it bake in the sun and aid the process :mrgreen:

-Calendar loss was changed to 6.9% for the first year for the city with "normal" temperature (empirically derived to best fit the actual capacity loss data)
-Cycling loss for the "normal" city was changed to 2.0% for every 10,000 miles driven at 4 miles per kwh (empirically derived to best fit the actual capacity loss data)

For the record, this wi-fi unit with an on/off switch works well with Leaf Stat:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281960580274?ul_noapp=true

Seller has a decent 99% feedback score and will consider your Best Offer.

Hi all any idea what this means? I connect my konnwei elm327 via wifi and on Leaf stat it says the following:

Unable to Communicate with Leaf
Successful communication with OBDII adapter but not the Leaf. Car must be turned on. Only Leafs are supported.

I have the car on and per the developer website I did static with up of 192.168.0.100 and SN of 255.255.255.0. Any ideas? I emailed the developer as well.

Back