Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes the grants need to be utilized prior to LEAF purchase. I now have a VOLT but didn't know about the AV deal to bundle purchase with car at point of sale...over priced anyways..but it was an option. I was able to take advantage of the EVProject...which is now going down hill with minimal funding now.

Do the EVSE Upgrade. Install a 240v receptical and call it a day...you can then take time in purchasing a mountable L2 EVSE down the road with minimal installation cost because you'll already be set for 240v service

Can anyone tell me how to access the hidden screen on the Blink to change the max charging current? I remember reading it somewhere but I couldn't locate it anymore. Thanks.

pchilds said:
This information should never be posted in an open forum. I have sent a PM.

why not? blink gonna borrow some money to hire a lawyer to come after you?

besides, your comments aren't really hiding anything from them... only us

If Blink/CarCharging(assuming they are a functioning company) finds that the password is widely available, they will change the password and we will no longer have the ability to change the current limit. Why give them a reason to change the password?

pchilds said:
If Blink/CarCharging(assuming they are a functioning company) finds that the password is widely available, they will change the password and we will no longer have the ability to change the current limit. Why give them a reason to change the password?

They already have a reason, several member's on this forum know it. Whether you are a good steward of it is irrelevant. From a security perspective now its 'out in the wild' they can't be sure it will not fall into bad hands. They should change it anyway.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2014/05/04/phoenix-electric-vehicle-chargers-remain/8709287/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blink charger revenue by municipality

• Tempe: $241.50 from Aug. 22, 2012, to March 23, 2014.

• Chandler: $181.25 through Dec. 13, 2013.

• Phoenix: $1,054.50 from Sept. 15, 2011, to April 28, 2014.

• Peoria: $23 from Feb. 27 to June 12, 2013

I am just wondering how much cities spent on people, meetings, papers, mail, computer time ... to keep track of the few hundreds $ a year in revenue.

To me it is like someone trying to charge for parking at an event, in the far corner of a large field. Maybe $5 or $10, but the rest of the field is free.

Blink Support has not been answering their phone. My Blink unit stopped charging, with the Test Failure message, even after I have reconfigured it. Anyone know of how to contact Blink Support these days? Thanks.

DesertDenizen said:
Blink Support has not been answering their phone. My Blink unit stopped charging, with the Test Failure message, even after I have reconfigured it. Anyone know of how to contact Blink Support these days? Thanks.

I've used [email protected] but these days it take 3-4 days to get an acknowledgement, never mind a technician dispatched.

I suggest you get your portable EVSE upgraded by Phil and get the necessary patch for the wall outlet the blink plugs into. At least then you are not reduced to 120v indefinitely.

The reduced level of support for Blink units from CarCharging makes me wonder if they are in a financial death spiral.

You can always pull the blue plug and make it in to a standard dumb EVSE...

DesertDenizen said:

Last activity on this thread is from over a year ago, but I'll take a shot - [email protected] still has an autoresponder, but does anyone know if they are really following up anymore? Our main cable to the J1772 connector seems to be shot - intermittent failures for a few weeks, now it never works, broken pilot wire I think. I emailed them last week, got the autoresponse indicating followup would happen, but nothing yet.

I can perhaps reach the contractor that put the unit in originally, they are still around, and see what they would charge to replace the cable with a Leviton which I think I can procure from Amazon for $170 or so...or I could give blinknetwork a shot. But before I try that, I'm curious whether anyone has interacted with blinknetwork lately. And/or if anyone else has pursued other solutions to cable failure or has recommendations. I found other threads which indicated that rewiring inside the Blink is not trivial due to the way things are connected - I mean, I think I could figure out what goes where but it sounds like special crimping tools and fittings might be needed, with which I'm not familiar.

Wade

wsbca said:
Last activity on this thread is from over a year ago, but I'll take a shot - [email protected] still has an autoresponder, but does anyone know if they are really following up anymore? Our main cable to the J1772 connector seems to be shot - intermittent failures for a few weeks, now it never works, broken pilot wire I think. I emailed them last week, got the autoresponse indicating followup would happen, but nothing yet.

I can perhaps reach the contractor that put the unit in originally, they are still around, and see what they would charge to replace the cable with a Leviton which I think I can procure from Amazon for $170 or so...or I could give blinknetwork a shot. But before I try that, I'm curious whether anyone has interacted with blinknetwork lately. And/or if anyone else has pursued other solutions to cable failure or has recommendations. I found other threads which indicated that rewiring inside the Blink is not trivial due to the way things are connected - I mean, I think I could figure out what goes where but it sounds like special crimping tools and fittings might be needed, with which I'm not familiar.

Wade

My Blink unit started acting up recently.

I opted to replace with a Clipper Creek. Blinks have issues with the J1772 crimp at the outlet and also with wiring internal to the base unit. With several common failure points and host company in financial trouble I elected not to repair and sold the unit for parts on eBay for $70.

My blink(EV project) started acting up yesterday. Would not recognize that my car is plugged in. Called blink support this morning and they said they will not repair it anymore, instead they want me to purchase their new unit. Not sure if I want another Blink product in my house with so many companies now selling EVSE units now.

Are there any other options to repair the current charger ? Unit is powered up, display is working. I am thinking its the cable.

pksd1 said:
My blink(EV project) started acting up yesterday. Would not recognize that my car is plugged in. Called blink support this morning and they said they will not repair it anymore, instead they want me to purchase their new unit. Not sure if I want another Blink product in my house with so many companies now selling EVSE units now.

Are there any other options to repair the current charger ? Unit is powered up, display is working. I am thinking its the cable.

If it's the cable, and specifically the pilot wire in the cable, a replacement cable from Amazon is a fairly straightforward fix - I did this myself recently, only significant cost was the $170 for the cable..

See:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20693&p=439681#p439681

and

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=13557&start=20

Back