Official Nissan e-NV200 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SmartElectric said:
The lightness of the car has the biggest impact on performance (something BMW remembered !)
;)
Umm prob not.. We had this discussion at the last meet.. About the RavEV/Tesla against the Leaf..

2 heavier vehicles against the Leaf which is much lighter. The Rav once you get it up to speed, put it at 65/70mph... it just cruises because it has the momentum to carry it and needs less (Tesla benefits from the mass but better aero). In stop and go... They dogs..

The Leaf however... push it hard past (48mph is the aero drag point?) 59 or 60?? and you're just burning needless energy because it's light and doesn't have the weight to carry it.

However the Leaf wins in stop and go traffic! No one wants to drive 45-50mph on the frwy. That's unrealistic :roll: Today's roads are 70+

EDIT: 91040 can.. 40miles to home on 17% :lol:

JasonA said:
2 heavier vehicles against the Leaf which is much lighter. The Rav once you get it up to speed, put it at 65/70mph... it just cruises because it has the momentum to carry it and needs less (Tesla benefits from the mass but better aero). In stop and go... They dogs..

The Leaf however... push it hard past (48mph is the aero drag point?) 59 or 60?? and you're just burning needless energy because it's light and doesn't have the weight to carry it.

I think it has more to do about the motor toque & horsepower "curves". LEAF power stops rising much above 40MPH so freeway acceleration is somewhat uninspiring. RAV4EV with Tesla Model S motor make a lot more horsepower at high RPMs and so accelerates better on the freeway.

I think the idea that extra weight providing useful momentum may be a mis-characterization. If you like "coasting" behavior I think that is programmed in based on regen algorithms more than some benefit of extra weight.

TEG said:
I think the idea that extra weight providing useful momentum may be a mis-characterization. If you like "coasting" behavior I think that is programmed in based on regen algorithms more than some benefit of extra weight.
Yep, all else being equal a lighter vehicle will be more efficient than a heavier car, even on the freeway.

drees said:
TEG said:
Yep, all else being equal a lighter vehicle will be more efficient than a heavier car, even on the freeway.
Imagine 2 objects that start rolling down a hill. Pinewood derby cars, etc for instance. Starts off steep then the hill tapers off.

One car is like a brick, the other is light as a feather (or leaf).. which one is going to continue to roll further once it flattens out? If you were to maintain that momentum, the heavier object you want to keep rolling. Which is why you see these 2-3 mile long trains being pulled by a few engines.. takes forever.. but get that momentum rolling and you're golden.

I'm sure you guys know more all about the torque curves and power outputs of the Tesla motor vs. Nissan,etc,etc.. but the Rav being a SUV can do 65-70 and maintain 4-5kw/mi if flat.. Just stop and go kills it.

I think the Leaf and the platform is great for the city.. but long distance cruising would need a makeover.

EDIT: I do agree though.. more weight = more energy. but hopefully in more batteries! :D

JasonA said:
drees said:
TEG said:
Imagine 2 objects that start rolling down a hill. Pinewood derby cars, etc for instance. Starts off steep then the hill tapers off.

One car is like a brick, the other is light as a feather (or leaf).. which one is going to continue to roll further once it flattens out? If you were to maintain that momentum, the heavier object you want to keep rolling. Which is why you see these 2-3 mile long trains being pulled by a few engines.. takes forever.. but get that momentum rolling and you're golden.

How much energy did it require to get the heavier pinewood derby car to the top of the hill versus the lighter car?

There is more potential energy in the heavier car, because more energy was used to put it there.

TonyWilliams said:
How much energy did it require to get the heavier pinewood derby car to the top of the hill versus the lighter car?

There is more potential energy in the heavier car, because more energy was used to put it there.
Exactly. If you're going down hill, then yeah, a heavier vehicle is likely to be better. But what happens when you need to go back up hill?

QQ_20141010221045.png

Sent them an email and this is their respond.

It'll come. Hopefully, when it's built here, with 150-200 range, and competivly priced.

But here's what I'd like:

http://www.hillsideleisure.co.uk/blog/electric-campervan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

e-NV200 sales beginning to hit significant figures in some markets, for example, by outselling the LEAF by 172 to 73 in Denmark last month:

http://ev-sales.blogspot.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
I think it will come along with Leaf 2 - with the big battery option.
I have been waiting for this electric van since it made the debut in 2012. If you are right, then I don't mind to wait longer for it. I'll lease it right away once it become available.

chuhouse2003 said:
evnow said:
I think it will come along with Leaf 2 - with the big battery option.
I have been waiting for this electric van since it made the debut in 2012. If you are right, then I don't mind to wait longer for it. I'll lease it right away once it become available.
I saw one today at Nissan HQ. Has anyone posted pictures of it in the wild (not airbrushed from a marketing) ?

DanCar said:
knightmb said:
I saw one today at Nissan HQ. Has anyone posted pictures of it in the wild (not airbrushed from a marketing) ?
Take a pic please. :)
This is the best I could do quickly. The quick charge stations are a separate lot adjacent to where the NV200 was. That lot was kind of a restricted area, so I made quick turn around in the restricted lot and took a few shots with the phone. They aren't the best quality, but you get a few difference angles. I didn't want to have security chasing me out if I just parked, got out of vehicle and starting taking a lot of pictures of it. :shock:

nv200.jpg

nv200-02.jpg

nv200-03.jpg

nv200-04.jpg

Back