Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the first lease pull-ahead offer in the mail from a local dealer on Friday. Coral Springs Nissan. Offer expires, today, and I'm not going to take them up on it.

Weatherman said:
Got the first lease pull-ahead offer in the mail from a local dealer on Friday. Coral Springs Nissan. Offer expires, today, and I'm not going to take them up on it.
could you elaborate on what the offer entails, my lease will be expiring soon and I am thinking of keeping it until I decide on which EV to replace the LEAF with.

The main purpose of a lease pull-ahead is to allow you to lease a new car before your current lease expires without all the nasty penalties of early lease termination.

Here a article on it:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/early-car-lease-return-deals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The main appeal to a LEAF early adopter in Florida is that it provides an opportunity to dump their 2012 LEAF with its rapidly degrading battery and get a 2015 LEAF with a, hopefully, more heat-resistant battery without having to wait until their 2012 lease expires.

Weatherman said:
mirko said:
Has anyone in South Florida had a warranty battery replacement done yet? If so, where? I just lost my 4th bar today and would like to know what others have experienced in SFL. I haven't found any posts of anyone down here losing the 4th bar.

You are the first, reported. Although many others are right behind you. I'd expect to see a whole bunch of South Florida four-bars-gone over the next couple of months. We still have about six weeks of summer weather left (highs upper 80s to around 90 and lows in the mid and upper 70s) before the dry season arrives.

I'm actually slightly disappointed. I've lost <3% this summer, even though it has been VERY hot. Normally here in Jupiter it rarely gets more than 90*, but this year it was 92-93* each day, or higher. I began summer with 82% SOH, and it now hangs at 79%, with still 11 bars. I don't know if its the reprogramming update they did, or just the loss leveling off, but 3% is much less than I expected. It makes me wonder now whether having the B0133 on my record even matters, as I need to lose another 12% in just over 2 years. The car is becoming more challenging to use, so depending what other EV choices I have in the next 2 years, I may be the first person the PAY for the new Lizard battery.
There is another Jupiter owner who lost his second bar a long time ago, and has probably lost a 3rd bar since I last spoke to him. He needs to drive to Stuart every day for work, so he has lost the ability to run any errands during the day.

Weatherman said:
The main purpose of a lease pull-ahead is to allow you to lease a new car before your current lease expires without all the nasty penalties of early lease termination.

Here a article on it:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/early-car-lease-return-deals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The main appeal to a LEAF early adopter in Florida is that it provides an opportunity to dump their 2012 LEAF with its rapidly degrading battery and get a 2015 LEAF with a, hopefully, more heat-resistant battery without having to wait until their 2012 lease expires.
thanks, I really was more interested in extending the term of my lease rather than getting into another LEAF

keydiver said:
I'm actually slightly disappointed. I've lost <3% this summer, even though it has been VERY hot.

I lost about 2.6% over the last three months, which was, also, a bit slower than expected. If anything it was a bit cooler than normal out in western metro Broward County this summer. Lots of clouds and lots of rain.

I've been waiting for the 11th bar to fall, but it just seems like it's not going to happen. In about four weeks, I'm going to be retiring my LEAF to a semi-permanent spot in my driveway and drive my Volt from then on. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the LEAF still has 11 bars showing when I give it back to Nissan next year.

Weatherman said:
Is that lease pull-ahead deal something from NMAC, or is it just a dealer come-on?

I've only got two payments left, so there isn't much left to pull ahead, although there is that pesky termination fee ($300?)

LTLFTcomposite said:
Weatherman said:
Is that lease pull-ahead deal something from NMAC, or is it just a dealer come-on?

I've only got two payments left, so there isn't much left to pull ahead, although there is that pesky termination fee ($300?)

The letter came from the dealer I leased the car from. I didn't check into it further, since I didn't want to bother driving up to Coral Springs to check into the details. It's possible it was nothing more than what AutoNation tried to offer me (you buy the car from NMAC, we'll buy it from you for $10,000 less, and we'll lease you a new car).

mirko said:
Has anyone in South Florida had a warranty battery replacement done yet? If so, where? I just lost my 4th bar today and would like to know what others have experienced in SFL. I haven't found any posts of anyone down here losing the 4th bar.

I was told that Auto Nation Nissan Miami already did at least one battery replacement over the summer. Nissan first tries to refresh your batteries to get them back up to 9 bars or better. If that fails they replace the entire battery pack with the new heat resistant "Lizard" batteries. You might want to browse the forum to see how well these new batteries are holding up in Phoenix. AZ.

Weatherman said:
The letter came from the dealer I leased the car from. I didn't check into it further, since I didn't want to bother driving up to Coral Springs to check into the details. It's possible it was nothing more than what AutoNation tried to offer me (you buy the car from NMAC, we'll buy it from you for $10,000 less, and we'll lease you a new car).
I assume all mailings from dealers are BS. NMAC is the one with the power to decide to take a loss for the sake of making more sales.

mirko said:

We were at Bill Seidle this morning having them check our battery. They are about to do their first battery replacement.

Despite losing 2 bars on my car, I still love it. My husband is no longer a fan though and I'm pretty sure the Tesla is in our future. :shock:

evenoelle said:
mirko said:

We were at Bill Seidle this morning having them check our battery. They are about to do their first battery replacement.

Despite losing 2 bars on my car, I still love it. My husband is no longer a fan though and I'm pretty sure the Tesla is in our future. :shock:

My experience with my 4 bar loss is not going well for me. The dealer that I first took my car to ran the battery report that showed I only have 8 capacity bars remaining and the ran the CONSULT command "BATTERY GRADUAL CAP LOSS DATA CLEAR". Now my dashboard shows 12 capacity bars. Then they told me that my car's battery is fine and that the capacity loss is normal.

I'm still working to get this resolved.

I love the car, but I am NOT happy with Nissan atm.

Not the least bit surprised.

You do need to make sure you had the software update (I think it's P3227), which allows for more "accurate" battery capacity measurement. Other than that, once you lose four bars, you qualify for a replacement. The dealer can't just reset your capacity gauge and send you on your way.

Fortunately, I think that, if the dealer resets the capacity to 12 bars without an accompanying battery swap, it will self correct in a few weeks. I'd take a picture when it drops back down to 8, again, and take the car to another dealer. It's obvious that the one you went to had no interest in swapping out LEAF batteries, and prefers to perform tricks with the software, instead.

Also helps if you have a LEAF SPY app to confirm your Ahr reading. The conditions for the battery swap are based on lost bars, alone, but showing you are already down in the low to mid 40s on Ahrs should help.

Weatherman said:
Not the least bit surprised.

You do need to make sure you had the software update (I think it's P3227), which allows for more "accurate" battery capacity measurement. Other than that, once you lose four bars, you qualify for a replacement. The dealer can't set reset your capacity gauge and send you on your way.

Fortunately, I think that, if the dealer resets the capacity to 12 bars without an accompanying battery swap, it will self correct in a few weeks. I'd take a picture when it drops back down to 8, again, and take the car to another dealer. It's obvious that the one you went to had no interest in swapping out LEAF batteries, and prefers to perform tricks with the software, instead.

Also helps if you have a LEAF SPY app to confirm your Ahr reading. The conditions for the battery swap are based on lost bars, alone, but showing you are already down in the low to mid 40s on Ahrs should help.

I had the software update done a while ago, and I have pics of the capacity bars and LeafDD before I too the car in...

This is what the dash looked like when the dealer gave me the keys back...

Very good. In that case, I'd just wait for the BMS to reset and take it to another dealer. Hopefully, it will reset. Drive it down below LBW several times and see how many miles you get. It shouldn't take long for the BMS to adjust.

Very annoying, but, again, not very surprising. I suspect, with the flood of Florida LEAF battery replacements coming over the next twelve months, some dealers are going to play tricks to avoid the hassle.

Weatherman said:
Very good. In that case, I'd just wait for the BMS to reset and take it to another dealer. Hopefully, it will reset. Drive it down below LBW several times and see how many miles you get. It shouldn't take long for the BMS to adjust.

Very annoying, but, again, not very surprising. I suspect, with the flood of Florida LEAF battery replacements coming over the next twelve months, some dealers are going to play tricks to avoid the hassle.

What hassle? They get paid by Nissan to replace the battery. I would think the dealership would want that.

As it stands right now, I can no longer use the car for my 63.5 mile commute. My wife drives the LEAF now since she has a short commute and I've had to start going back to the gas station, and pay more money for my daily commute. So for me it's more than just a hassle. It's costing me real money.

I recall reading where TickTock had his cap bars reset and it took SIX months before they were back to normal.

Welcome to the club.

Anyone who claims that a LEAF has a low total-cost-of-ownership is not an early adopter in a warm-climate area. I've wasted more time, money and effort with the LEAF than any other car I've owned in my life. Three years into this money-draining experiment and I still have nine months left to go.

Hello everyone. I just caught up with reading this thread since I have not been monitoring it for a few months. Yesterday was an eventful day - the LEAF turned over 40K miles and we also lost the 4th bar! For reference, the 3rd bar was lost in May at 34.5K miles. I have the LEAF Stat app and the battery health section shows a SOH of 65.25% capacity and 43.23 Ahr.

The lease expires at the end of November and we'll have about 5K in miles overage, which translates to a $750 penalty. I'm also looking at about $400 to fix a dent in the back and will need to get at least 2 new tires in the front. Then there's the $300 early termination fee. So it will probably cost us $750+$400+$250+$300=$1,700 at lease end.

I have not checked with the dealer yet to see what our options are. I'd prefer to lease a MY2015 with (much) lower monthly payments. However, due to the extra costs at the end of our lease, I'm beginning to think whether it would be worth buying the current LEAF if Nissan replaces the battery with the more heat resistant ones.

Any thoughts before I contact the dealer?

Back