Importing US Leafs to Canada - CARWINGS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is great that your remote app is working. As for the text alerts is is due to the fact that canadian cell companies are not listed on the us account listing. So I just get email alerts as my telus account works.

I tried to register my car in Quebec with a USA Carwings account and it fails.
I drove to the border near Vermont (Richford), not better. I will plan a trip to Burlington to try their ChaDemo and try Carwings again.

tivollix said:
I tried to register my car in Quebec with a USA Carwings account and it fails.
I drove to the border near Vermont (Richford), not better. I will plan a trip to Burlington to try their ChaDemo and try Carwings again.

Did you mean signing up on the account fails, or the CARWINGS connection from the car fails? If it was a registered car with a valid VIN originating from the US, it should work.. or, at least, it has been working for a few of us. Technically, our telematics would be the same as yours if you have a US Leaf. By the way, I chose AT&T as the phone carrier.

NOTE: When I spoke to CARWINGS support on the phone, they were surprised that it works, and although it seems to be working for some people, they don't or can't "officially" say that it works. However, she was helpful in making sure I signed up with a US account.

Just so everyone knows-Motorized autodirect in Victoria where I got my 2011 last year is now selling 2011 for under $20.000 canadian. That is $5000 less than I paid last year.

The Vin registration worked. I have received the Carwings car login. When I do the car connexion it tries for a minute and tells me to enter the login again. The no connexion symbol is displayed for a few seconds onlybat the end.

For android users, there's an app called "leaf manager" which supposedly connects to either the Canadian or U.S. server.

If someone can try this out and report back whether or not it works, that would be great, otherwise, I should be getting my leaf in the next few weeks and I'll give it a shot.

S.K.

Thank you for the information.
I tried to use it and tells me "Carwings setup not complete, login to owner's portal website"

2 possible problems : My Leaf is not able to connect to the network in the Montreal area or it is missing some configuration / sim.

tivollix said:
I tried to use it and tells me "Carwings setup not complete, login to owner's portal website"

2 possible problems : My Leaf is not able to connect to the network in the Montreal area or it is missing some configuration / sim.

I also had this problem. Go to the owner's portal and click on documents or agreements or something like and accept the terms of the agreement, then it will work.

I joined this site just to thank the posters on this thread for getting Carwings working on my US Leaf which was imported into Canada (and to assist tivollix since I had the same problem). It's great to have it working now! I bought the Leaf for my daughter. I can now keep an eye on the battery remotely; and she can warm up the car remotely -- while plugged in -- for the coming winter. I'm using Leaf Manager on my Android (paid $5 for the pro version). My daughter has an iPhone but rather than going the US App route, I also installed Leaf Manager on her phone and it works great!

Thanks All and especially EVKen!!!

Thanks a log for your tip. I checked, I already had it:

CARWINGS™ Agreement ACCEPTED 08/07/2014

I'll give an update if I find what's wrong.

Canuck said:
tivollix said:

I also had this problem. Go to the owner's portal and click on documents or agreements or something like and accept the terms of the agreement, then it will work.

I joined this site just to thank the posters on this thread for getting Carwings working on my US Leaf which was imported into Canada (and to assist tivollix since I had the same problem). It's great to have it working now! I bought the Leaf for my daughter. I can now keep an eye on the battery remotely; and she can warm up the car remotely -- while plugged in -- for the coming winter. I'm using Leaf Manager on my Android (paid $5 for the pro version). My daughter has an iPhone but rather than going the US App route, I also installed Leaf Manager on her phone and it works great!

Thanks All and especially EVKen!!!

tivollix said:

You have probably done this, but just to be certain, under where it says you accepted the agreement do you have:

CARWINGS™ PIN: xxxxx
CARWINGS™ Password: xxxxx
(I replaced my info above with the "x's")

Did you then put that info in the car's Carwing's menu information?

If you have also done that then maybe try calling Carwings in the US. I called them and told them I was from Canada but I had an imported Leaf and they helped me set it up (I got an error saying my car was already registered which they fixed when I emailed them my registration papers). They told me it won't work in Canada but I read them what was said in the thread which they said was news to them. So don't be discouraged if they tell you it won't work. Tell them you just want to make sure everything is fine from their end to see if that's the problem.

Hello,
I re-checked everything and found on the portal that my car did not register.
I did input my login in the car but it does not seems to register. I have the crossed antenna symbol displayed for a few seconds after inputing my login.

The portal is reporting that the car login has not been done.

We drove to Vermont in order to retry but probably not far enough or the car may not have a sim. I need to check the module for the sim.

Has anyone from Quebec succed using Carwings with a US Leaf?

=====================
Canuck said:
tivollix said:

You have probably done this, but just to be certain, under where it says you accepted the agreement do you have:

CARWINGS™ PIN: xxxxx
CARWINGS™ Password: xxxxx
(I replaced my info above with the "x's")

Did you then put that info in the car's Carwing's menu information?

If you have also done that then maybe try calling Carwings in the US. I called them and told them I was from Canada but I had an imported Leaf and they helped me set it up (I got an error saying my car was already registered which they fixed when I emailed them my registration papers). They told me it won't work in Canada but I read them what was said in the thread which they said was news to them. So don't be discouraged if they tell you it won't work. Tell them you just want to make sure everything is fine from their end to see if that's the problem.

tivollix said:
Hello,

What does it say for the "Carrier" in your car's Carwing's menu? Mine says AT&T. If you don't have a sim, then that may be blank. In BC, AT&T roams on Rogers. My Tesla also uses AT&T and is always roaming in Canada -- which is great because we can go the States and get internet, but it doesn't work on US Tesla cars in Canada presumably because Tesla has disabled roaming for them. People in Quebec with Teslas have it working (but Tealas are 3G), and people with AT&T phones can also obviously roam in Quebec. One other thought is that the Leaf uses 2G and maybe Quebec's AT&T roaming partner has already got rid of 2G?

The section "Carrier" is empty, I will open the glove box to check for a sim.

Canuck said:
tivollix said:
Hello,

What does it say for the "Carrier" in your car's Carwing's menu? Mine says AT&T. If you don't have a sim, then that may be blank. In BC, AT&T roams on Rogers. My Tesla also uses AT&T and is always roaming in Canada -- which is great because we can go the States and get internet, but it doesn't work on US Tesla cars in Canada presumably because Tesla has disabled roaming for them. People in Quebec with Teslas have it working (but Tealas are 3G), and people with AT&T phones can also obviously roam in Quebec. One other thought is that the Leaf uses 2G and maybe Quebec's AT&T roaming partner has already got rid of 2G?

Berlino said:
Has getting Carwings running this way worked for Japanese (MY2011-MY2012) LEAFs, or just for the MY13-MY15 ones built in the USA?

Mine is a 2012 SL imported from the US into Canada, and Carwings is now working following the procedure set out in this thread.

Hello Canuck, Where are you located in Canada?
Thank you.

Canuck said:
Berlino said:
Has getting Carwings running this way worked for Japanese (MY2011-MY2012) LEAFs, or just for the MY13-MY15 ones built in the USA?

Mine is a 2012 SL imported from the US into Canada, and Carwings is now working following the procedure set out in this thread.

I was a bit concerned about the Carwings update today with my US imported Leaf but I followed the update procedure all went well and it's working fine.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Have any Canadians who imported a US Leaf but not upgraded the TCU to 3G still got their car wings working? Mine just stopped talking to the server a couple days ago, around the same time AT&T shut down their 2G band. I was hoping the roaming on Rogers 2G would still work despite the AT&T side going down. Anyone having the same issue?

Back