Looking for Solar purchase in San Diego

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wongfeihong187

Hi I'm looking to purchase a 5-7 kwh solar system. For those who own their own system, can you please share your cost per watt, who put in your solar system and if you would refer them? Thanks, I just want to find out all the good vendors out there.

About 18 months ago, I purchased a 4.25kW system based on 17 Canadian Solar 250W solar panels and Enphase microinverters. I purchased from and had it installed on my 2nd story roof by PetersenDean, a Roofing & Solar Installer headquartered in the SF Bay Area. I think they may do installs all over CA and a couple other states including Florida. After the Federal tax credit, I paid about $2.50/watt. I was satisfied with the work and so, yes, I would recommend this company to you.

I installed an 11KW system consisting of 44 Canadian Solar panels and a 7K SMA and 4KTL SMA inverter for $2.50/W in AZ BEFORE the 30% federal tax credit.

My cost in AZ is probably different than the cost in San Diego so it's apples to oranges comparison.

Thank you both for sharing your experiences. So both of you got Canadian Solar panels? What's the warranty like? I heard that effiency in solar panels go down over time. I'll do some more research, but having "first hand" experience from people who have had good experience with the panels and installers really helps me with my decision. Thanks again for sharing, and if there are others who may have similar experiences? I heard SolarWorld panels are pretty good, any one with a positive experience with them?

We have a Sunpower system (Sunpower panels, rebadged Sunny Boy (SMA) inverter). We used Baker Electric Solar (Escondido, but they install all over the county - we're in Sorrento Valley). Very satisfied - super clean install compared to many I have seen, and have referred several others (if you want to talk to them, PM me and I'll put in a referral, if you end up going with them I'll take you to dinner with the referral bonus :) The parent company has been around a long time, the solar division is newer but seems fully matured now. The wiring job we got seemed to benefit from their home electric expertise (conduit in wall rather than all over the roof and side of house, stuff like that). They were one of the first big Sunpower dealers in town - now from the ads it sounds like Sullivan is also selling Sunpower (they were doing Sharp and BP when we were shopping).

We paid on the order of $5 a watt but that was well over 4 years ago, it was competitive at the time and prices have come way down. Also our system is pretty small (3.44kW DC rating) so that wasn't in our favor on cost per watt. Our next door neighbors just got a largesystem from Baker and paid much less per watt, though I don't know the exact figure. You should get several estimates, it will become pretty clear where prices are these days - the California rebate is either over or tiny now, so the main incentive is the federal credit, and there's a lot of competition among the vendors now.

We have a single inverter, microinverters were just getting going back then, but now I'd probably look closely at microinverters if we went to expand our system. Except...I'm also intrigued by the new Sunny Island inverter which while grid tied can actually still be used in a mode where it supplies power when the grid is down (not to the entire home, but to an outlet).

I have not heard of Solarworld panels.

I used Baker Solar Electric in Escondido, purchased June 2011.

8kW system, 35 SunPower panels and 35 Enphase micro inverters.

Not a single failure.

I get a generous kickback for referrals which I'm happy to split with you.

Yes please share your total cost for those of us interested in getting solar panels. Thanks everyone for sharing...

ybitz said:
TonyWilliams said:
I'm also interested in getting solar here in San Diego. Mind sharing your cost breakdown?

Well, this is nearly 3.5 year old data:

$43k
(15k) fed 30% credit plus state money
$28k net cost

I suspect the same system is 30% cheaper today.

TonyWilliams said:
ybitz said:
TonyWilliams said:
I'm also interested in getting solar here in San Diego. Mind sharing your cost breakdown?

Well, this is nearly 3.5 year old data:

$43k
(15k) fed 30% credit plus state money
$28k net cost

I suspect the same system is 30% cheaper today.

Tony, Thank you. What kind of panels does Baker Electric use, and the warranty you got from the product and installer?

Back