Adding a Brusa charger under the hood for '11/'12s

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please don't take this the wrong way NERYS.. but if you're having this much trouble with a EVSE mod, then the Brusa or dual-charger mod will be very difficult.

You cannot run the Brusa on ANY Nissan EVSE brick as they are not rated for 7.2kw of power. Simple as that, unless you have a way to dial it up or down like we do.

Wrenching on a EV is not like an ICE car. If you are local here, we can help. But if you're far away, then you have to read through EACH DAMN PAGE and figure it out like we did!

MYSELF... JEREMY.. AND KILLA WATT have all spent MANY hours documenting and posting the pics and writing about it.

If you need a need a Brusa.. they are cheep ($1k on Ebay)... If you need a mounting plate.. PM me.. they are cheap..

the rest is up to you to solder and do what we've done (technically I've done all 3 cars here locally) KillaWatt is the lone wolf! but we're all a team and help each other out!

Just make sure before ANYTHING to pull the main battery next to the rear seat!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Let us know.. never be afraid to ask ;)

I regret I seem to be missing something? Please clarify

"If your having that mich trouble with an evse upgrade"

I am unaware that I was having any trouble?? Seems pretty sime to me. Pay $287 send them the evse.

The evse is being upgraded to 6.6kw I believe is 6.84kw with overhead.

It is my understanding that the brusa is adjuatable. I would think I could adjust it to 3.3kw which combined with my built in 3.3kw would gwt me the 6.6kw charge speed like the 2013 and up models have.

Was I wrong in this regard?

Of course I plan to read it all. But the very idea of do it the hard long way lime we did makes absolutely no sense if it can be avoided.

Why In the world would I abandon work or knowledge already aquired and rediscover all that knowledge again jnstead of learning from what others have already learned.

Assuming I can afford it and assuming I decide it is within my technical means if there is no consolidated organized instructions I will create compile and post them myself. So others can learn from the info without having to redo all the work again and again.

nerys said:
I was buying an EVSE on ebay to have sent directly to EVSE Upgrades.

Now some of them were 11/12 and some were 13.

I initially found a 13 cheap (missed it) so I asked them if they could upgrade a 13 and would it work on my 12.

he said yes. it would be 6.6kw but of course my 12 would only draw 3.3kw. I thought that was great so I would already have 6.6kw EVSE for if and when I ever upgraded my car or got a new car later down the road.

he then mentioned they could do the 6.6kw upgrade to the 11/12 EVSE that it was no big deal. of course my car would still only draw 3.3kw but it would be 6.6kw capable.

fantastic. he said just send him my order number when I ordered and he would make the change.

name is Mark.

his reply to me

"If you upgrade your 2012 cord I can do the higher power upgrade with an L6-30 plug just like a 2013 model. If you have a 2013 cord I can do the same and they all work on every LEAF model. The 2011-12 cords will not work on a Tesla made product but most other EVs. "
I have no idea who "Mark" is. EVSEupgrade.com is run by Phil aka Ingineer here.

As I said before, http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; shows it has a max of 20 amps at 240 volts == 4800 watts = 4.8 kW. As I said before
cwerdna said:
Looking at the J1772 handle of my '13 Leaf's L1 EVSE, it says AC20A 280V, which would be mean 5.6 kW at max. Seems like a bad idea to pull 6.6 kW through that.
Don't see how it would be safe to pull 6.6 kW thru that. And, it takes more than 20 amps @ 240 volts to charge at 6.6 kW.
nerys said:
I regret I seem to be missing something? Please clarify

"If your having that mich trouble with an evse upgrade"

I am unaware that I was having any trouble?? Seems pretty sime to me. Pay $287 send them the evse.

The evse is being upgraded to 6.6kw I
You are. Who is doing this upgrade? Where does it say that the EVSE, after upgrade will allow the car to draw 6.6 kW? Is there some URL on evseupgrade.com that advertises an Nissan/Panasonic L1 EVSE that can be upgraded to support that?

cwerdna said:
I have no idea who "Mark" is. EVSEupgrade.com is run by Phil aka Ingineer here.

Mark and Phil work together at EVSEupgrade.com

Regardless of what you think Mark told you, the portable Nissan EVSE will not quite run at 6.6kW, but they can modify to run at 20 amps [edit] * 230 volts = 4.6kW. I physically have one here that they modified for me a couple years ago.

I'm not familiar with the electrical power available, but my understanding is that single phase power with a 30 amp or bigger circuit breaker is not common. The "Type 1" plug (J1772 in the USA) is usually plugged into a 13 amp socket, correct?

Dude. Not sure if your just having a bad day or something.

I am have no trouble. This is simply what he told me. Nothing more nothing less.

He offered I said ok do that after he confirmed it would still work fine with my 12 at the lower 3.3kw.

My only two cents on this as a Brusa owner.

If you are really going to do this, don't scrimp on the EVSE end of it after all the work and money for the Brusa.

I have seen mine pull as much as 7.2Kw when the SOC is really low (low voltage state)

It's just common sense.

Over-design the supply side.

The "discussion" about the EVSE upgrade is not important.

Sure, maybe it will pass X current, and maybe it won't melt down.

I have an EVSE upgrade, I love it, but if I use it for some reason, the Brusa is shut off.

If you do the Brusa, good luck.

The Brusa project is meticulously 90% documented in this thread.

That 10% we left out is an easy gap to fill if you should be doing this.

Again, good luck, and I hope you find our documentation helpful.

And as Jason reminded us, don't do anything till you pull out the HV battery main disconnect.

Mark confirmed it is not a full 6.6kw just a bit more than 3.3kw or something like that. He saw the thread and realized the confusion in what he told me.

He never said it would do 6.6 just said he could do the higher power 13 upgrade on the 12 evse which I took to mean 6.6kw. So no big deal.

So its juice box if I get a brusa

I am wiring everything for 30amps to future proof a little

Can you explain rosewood dash? (Another thread or pm?)

nerys said:
Mark confirmed it is not a full 6.6kw just a bit more than 3.3kw or something like that. He saw the thread and realized the confusion in what he told me.

He never said it would do 6.6 just said he could do the higher power 13 upgrade on the 12 evse which I took to mean 6.6kw. So no big deal.

So its juice box if I get a brusa

I am wiring everything for 30amps to future proof a little

Can you explain rosewood dash? (Another thread or pm?)
At 20 amps, the EVSE Upgrade is nominally 4.8 kW. I find this is quite enough at home, as I want to be nice to my battery.

Wiring to 30 amps will only provide for 24 amps max charging - EV charging is considered continuous load by NEC and is limited to 80 percent of the load. If installing a new circuit, it would be worth your time to future proof with a 40 or 50 amp circuit and the appropriately heavier gauge wire.

Alan

Have read start of thread and some of the end...... A lot of this seems to be for 11/12. Is this true? Is there a 13 thread to jump into? Thanks!

Hello,
I am still very interested in adding a charger under the hood or in the back by the 3.3 kWh charger. Was there any further development of the programming for those other chargers (I forget the brands) besides the Brusa?

Thanks,
Don

dsny said:
Have read start of thread and some of the end...... A lot of this seems to be for 11/12. Is this true? Is there a 13 thread to jump into? Thanks!

You could do a 13' or whatever, but should install the water cooled Brusa(s) in the rear as several people have done.

You can install on a '13. I did do one but an air cooled unit and made a different mount for it. As for the chargers and using other brands, if they have a specific CAN control then you'd have to post on here and see if you would get any help?

But you need a host or a control device to monitor and watch over it, or it needs to run in standalone mode and be fully programmable by itself. Something the Brusa has the ability to do.

Again, this is not really a DIY project for the avg person and you need alot of tools. LOTS of HV (High Voltage) around, etc.

Start another thread about adding additional chargers to the Leaf and we'll input what we can. I have links to some companies that should work great and they are cheap but new Brusa's on Ebay are to be found all the time!

EDIT: This is not a bad deal.. the cables are worth $200+ alone...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brusa-NLG51...1753133777&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

Nice Brusa complete with all the cables etc.

Decent Price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brusa-NLG513-Electric-Vehicle-3-3kW-Battery-Charger-w-cables-Air-Cooled-NEW-/271753133777?hash=item3f45bfbed1&item=271753133777&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: Sorry, guess I should have read Jason's Post :D :D

Has anyone tried adding a 2011 leaf charger to a 2011 leaf?
Conceptually, if I can parallel the CAN Bus wires from the original charger to the additional one, it should work. The problem is to not send the CAN signals from the 2nd charger back to the Leaf VCM. Are there any other way to make it work?

I can't imagine it would be worthwhile to commercialize a solution. At this point, one would either do it themselves (the procedures are highly detailed in this thread) or simply upgrade to a used 2013+ with the OEM 6kW charger.

Ingineer said:
Also note that by using plastic rather than aluminum, you are compromising the shielding of your inverter. For instance, A stray cell phone signal from a nearby phone could cause big problems, even possibly leading to damage.

I highly recommend you use an aluminum spacer!

-Phil
How are you going to seal that? You're going to get leaks?
So since I'm helping another fellow Leaf'er with an install and I'm sending him links... I was taking a "stroll" down memory lane and saw a few of these posts... :lol: :roll:

I'll be happy to report that not a single install has had "any glitches" CAN error codes, EV CAN mesg anomalies, interference, OR LEAKS with this setup!

And the setups that are on them are being used pretty much EVERY single day... FULL power..

And now we're up to 4 liquid cooled setups.. and 3 air cooled!

:D

Back