2013 Nissan LEAF with a Spare tire and no Trunk space lost!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't want to mount it under the trunk floor like I did?

LeftieBiker said:
I got my new old stock (or unused used, if you prefer) Altima compact spare the other day, and this evening I unpacked it and put it in the car. The lug spacing appears to be the same - 4.25" for both OEM and spare.

The Good: this is a big donut spare, and it should be safe to drive it at 55MPH, although it says 50MPH on the tire. I assume that the Altima from the last decade was heavier than the Leaf...

The bad: this is a big donut spare, and it won't even lie flat in the cargo compartment with the Bose subwoofer present. I have a piece of foam pipe insulator between the tire and the edge of the subwoofer that is partly supporting it. Those who want a better fit might want to consider the smaller size donut. I'll be getting a thick plastic or canvas bag for it; for now it's in a black plastic garbage bag. I still don't have a jack, but at least now I can call Better World roadside assistance and have them mount the spare for me.

Slightly OT: I'm hoping to acquire a good used set of Goodyear UltraGrip snows for it. We've used them on other cars and liked them. Anyone have them on their Leaf?

The 135 aspect ratio Altima donut spare is, as I mentioned, kind of big, and it was resting partially up on the subwoofer for the Bose audio system when stored in the rear compartment. Having been told that just a couple of 10MM bolts and a connector hold the subwoofer box in place, I tried to remove it yesterday evening. The three bolts come out easily enough, but I couldn't get to the connector to see it, and feeling it didn't allow me to find the release. So I left the bolts out, shifted the position of the subwoofer forward and up slightly, then put foam pipe wrap insulation under it, at one end, and between it and the spare. Now the spare tire sits flat in the cargo compartment, taking up about 1/3 of the space. I don't feel that bad, though, having seen the cargo compartment of a Ford C-Max Energi today. I still have twice as much room as that car's owner. ;-)

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, indeed. Hopefully Nissan will begin to at least offer the spare as an option, as they apparently do in Australia. Or is it standard there?

I think it is standard there, maybe even in the UK.

Guys, don't waste your money on ebay. Check out this jack for $17.99 + shipping (FedEx mostly $6.99). It has a slit and powder coated black similar to OEM Nissan jack. It includes speed-bar with spin handle. The link below also has a product video in which they show how the jack's slit fits under a vehicle.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...-jacks/1-1-2-half-ton-scissor-jack-66907.html
image_16073.jpg

UPDATE
I went to a Harbor Freight store today and checked out this jack in my 2012 LEAF. This jack works well for 2013+ model LEAF because they no longer have the original jack brackets. For 2011 and 2012 LEAF which do have the original jack brackets, you will need to bend out the top metal bracket with a pair of pliers, as Tony Williams mentioned earlier in this thread.

Please see the update below:

EVerlasting said:
Guys, don't waste your money on ebay. Check out this jack for $17.99 + shipping (FedEx mostly $6.99). It has a slit and powder coated black similar to OEM Nissan jack. It includes speed-bar with spin handle. The link below also has a product video in which they show how the jack's slit fits under a vehicle.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...-jacks/1-1-2-half-ton-scissor-jack-66907.html
image_16073.jpg

UPDATE
I went to a Harbor Freight store today and checked out this jack in my 2012 LEAF. This jack works well for 2013+ model LEAF because they no longer have the original jack brackets. For 2011 and 2012 LEAF which do have the original jack brackets, you will need to bend out the top metal bracket with a pair of pliers, as Tony Williams mentioned earlier in this thread.

Will that jack correctly engage the jack points without damaging the car and lock into place so you dont get damaged?

With that in mind does the other one?

The Nissan Altima Jack I show in the beginning of this post fits perfectly. I don't know of any other Jack. You'll have to purchase one and test it yourself.

nerys said:
Will that jack correctly engage the jack points without damaging the car and lock into place so you dont get damaged?

nerys said:

I eyeballed the Harbor Freight jack when it arrived, and it appears to be right. I didn't actually try to jack the car with it.

This thread is also show on the Electric Vehicle Wiki page as follows:

http://electricvehiclewiki.com/File:Nissan_leaf_spare_tire12_sm.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to Anna Nguyen:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
Simple and well done, although I don't want to crawl under the car to get the tire!!

That rear area was for the inductive charger on the Infiniti version of the LEAF (cancelled).

I frequently audit Hospitals that require me to go "beyond the red line" which requires gowns, masks, etc. Many have "throwaway" jumpsuits that are durable and waterproof. I have one in the trunk of all my cars for just this purpose.

and its better than sitting around waiting several hours for a tow.

LeftieBiker said:
nerys said:

I eyeballed the Harbor Freight jack when it arrived, and it appears to be right. I didn't actually try to jack the car with it.

any scissors jack will do just fine. just make sure you use the notches in the frame

I haven't needed the spare yet (knock on wood!) maybe I should check it and check the pressure?

lion said:
This is awesome, nice job!

I'll have to watch this thread, and see if you still like this setup in a few months.

Do you have the specs of the tire/wheel you purchased (or a link to the original auction)? Did you verify the wheel fits/drives ok?

anyone try mounting one of these with the hitch installed? I don't care if the aero shroud does not go back on just tired of my trunk being filled with a spare tire :)

figure keep a full size spare at each job and the donut in the car but I want it underneath.

Back