Use of Nissan Leaf battery in Solar installation.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hill said:
offpist said:
Thanks for the feedback.

Now I am just sitting at the office watching the battery pack charge.
This morning it was 10% SOC, and now it is 80%SOC(14:00).. should reach 100%SOC by 16:00.
It works flawless and automatic, no need to human input.

If i can get my hand on one more battery pack I might consider expanding.
Salvage yards are going to be more popular than ever!
:D
P.V. battery backup systems I've seen folks build around our 2nd home in Montana are lead acid - so the thought of no off-gassing fumes / venting requirements would be a real JOY - not even considering the power to weight improvement.

I'm wondering how you'd ever find any salvage yard (in the U.S.) with a used battery. Is there a master website that lists salvage parts and location somewhere, or do you have to just make 200 phone calls to random places?

Nice Project; and very professional;

I wonder if you allow a little headroom in your charging to 100%. I know from my online reading Nissan doesn't fully charge the pack for car use. I think their "full charge" of the 24 kw pack is really about 20 kws. It seems to be an engineering decision to extent the life of the battery as GM doesn't fully charge the Volt battery either.

Yes, I leave a little headroom both on top and bottom.
How much can be adjusted on the fly on the BMS.

Also the inverter is programmed for seasonal variations.
It will use more potential of the battery in the summer, compared to the winter.

AlanSqB said:
Very cool. Please continue to update.

What SMA inverters are you using? I just found out about the "Sunny Boy" units that can provide 1.5 kW when the grid is down. I wonder how this could work alongside that system.

I am running a 5000 and 6000 sunny boy and didn't opt for the grid down outlet... Why? Because the way its implemented. Its basically an outlet that is run off the inverter. As the only time we lose power here is during a bad storm, the likelyhood of getting enough solar to actually run the outlet was questionable...

Neat in theory, not very useful...

There is a post on San Francisco craigslist about a wrecked 2013 Nissan Leaf with a "new" battery. The asking price for the whole car is quite high at $6,500. BTW, I have no connection with the poster/owner.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4776799554.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pity i'm not stateside.... looks like a wrecked leaf is peanuts https://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction/nissan/leaf

given there are only a handful or Leaf's here in Sunny Perth (most given away to govt organisations for trials etc) tough to see
them getting written off at any reasonable rate.
i cant remember the last one i saw here ....., only 2 perhaps 3 TESLA's here too.
Shanghai i saw more than that in the taxi rank at the aiport!

Does anyone know how to do this with the batteries still in the car. ie using V2G/H thinking?

Just love this setup.

Is there another site or a DIY guide with a more in-depth guide to this setup ?
Would like to create one for my self, as the government are not supporting solar energy in Denmark anymore, and i therefore wan't to store my power for the night.

Awesome work. I would also love to duplicate this myself and am talking with Orec on getting the same BMS. So could you put together a detailed diagram of your setup for those of us that want to use the same BMS and some of the setup you went through to get it where it was at.

Thanks again,

offpist said:
Yes, I leave a little headroom both on top and bottom.
How much can be adjusted on the fly on the BMS.

Also the inverter is programmed for seasonal variations.
It will use more potential of the battery in the summer, compared to the winter.

Wondering if you can give us an update - added any more battery modules, any issues with the Sunny Boy equipment/BMS, etc?
Very interesting set up that beat the V2G initiatives by years - with substantial storage capacity. Quite an accomplishment.

Hello guys, Thanks for the feedback.
I have sold the battery solution, as we are going sailing for a long time.. (at least one year, maybe more)
But everything is still working, and many have copied this setup. I have provided about 30+, Nissan Leaf batteries, mainly to Germany.

In the sailboat we have 1000AH Lifepo4 battery, 654W solar, water-maker etc. so we are pretty much self independent for energy and drinking water, all thanks to Lithium batteries.

Our dingy is powered also by 48V battery made by Lithium-Ion cells from Peugeot Ion. (equals about 8 HP petrol outboard).

Question for whom ever:

offpist configured the Nissan battery modules as 10p7s (and since each module is actual 2s...the configuration is actually 10p14s). In his arrangement each BMC line is monitoring groups of 10 modules rather than individual batteries. Is there any problem in doing this....might a battery fail, weaken and not be detected...or perhaps not charge as well as it's neighbors? It certainly would be expensive to monitor each module...each module would need 2 BMS lines. If anyone has a thought I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanx...In Oregon with Nissan Leaf Battery ready to configure.

levtron said:
Question for whom ever:

offpist configured the Nissan battery modules as 10p7s (and since each module is actual 2s...the configuration is actually 10p14s). In his arrangement each BMC line is monitoring groups of 10 modules rather than individual batteries. Is there any problem in doing this....might a battery fail, weaken and not be detected...or perhaps not charge as well as it's neighbors? It certainly would be expensive to monitor each module...each module would need 2 BMS lines. If anyone has a thought I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanx...In Oregon with Nissan Leaf Battery ready to configure.
When you have multiple cells in parallel they act as one huge cell because all the minus (-) terminals are tied together and all the plus (+) terminals are tied together. If one cell in that group is not pulling its weight, it simply drags down the group. If the BMS indicated that one group in the series string was lower voltage than the rest, you could pull it out of the pack, separate the cells and test each one or charge them in series to find the poorly performing one. This is the reason that the OP put the cells in parallel and then put the parallel groups in series. The other way, that uses 10X more BMS, is to make 10 individual series strings and put those in parallel. That would be a huge expense for not much benefit.

Hi everyone new to the forum
As my name suggests I am off grid on some
Rolls surett lead acid
I have 70kwh of Tesla batteries out of a model S that I want to use with a sunny island

Does any one have the can bus files for the sunny island want to use the same BMS setup as you

Great job btw

Hi, you can buy that BMS in one version that is already ready to communicate with the sunny island. No need for can bus files.

Back