Leaf Log Viewer Website for Leaf Spy Users

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very nice presentation and reinforces my belief that cruise control has limited benefits after seeing the speed on your logs varying from 54 to 82 MPH
Yeah that is certainly the danger of my oversharing here: you can see how fast I drive. It was strictly for scientific purposes I assure you ;-)

I do use cruise control a lot to soften my lead foot a bit. I'd like to do a more scientific study though of how using cruise control on a given stretch of road uses less or more power. I am sure theories are abound on this. I think that it probably hurts on hilly areas since the car can be quite zealous in maintaining speed up big hills, and perhaps not aggressive enough using the downhill to your advantage.

I am thinking in future versions of the site you can "name" trips and also "tag" trips. Tags would be more like categories, like "to work" or "from work", or "cruise control" or "no cruise control". This would make it easier to compare trips. Naming trips like "Charging test" or "incomplete log" or "long range test" would make it easier to fidn the trips in the long list of trips.

I posted an update to LeafLogger.com that looks up the lat/lon value and fills in a corrected elevation. I used Google's Elevation API's for this, which turned out to be pretty simple. This will help us do some efficiency calculation on hills in the future.

Google's API is rate limited so I set this up to run over time (50 a minute for all users, at random) so it may take some time after your upload to get the corrected figures in there. Also only data from 7/1/2014 forward is recalculated. I will move this back to 6/1/2014 some time soon, after I make sure I'm not blowing thru the rate limits. If you have specific requests let me know.

Hi Kevin,

I thought I'd join in the discussion here, so it's public rather than via email.
So I'm really enjoying the website logger, I think it's great.

Here are a couple of suggestions:
-Zoomable charts from the service you use for the charting, highcharts.com
-Ability to remove trips (to edit data and reupload)
-Ability to edit data (I see datapoints can be removed, which can take care of certain anomalies in the data. Perhaps a way to select multiple lines to remove. I had about 30-50 data points which were showing the wrong latitude, which was causing the mapping to go nuts, so I removed those data points. But I had do remove them one by one. It would've been good if I could have either edited the data within the website, or selected all the lines with anomalies and delete them in one fell swoop rather than one line at a time.)
-Ability to choose metric or imperial data. The temps are in Celcius, which I think is fantastic, but the speed is in Mph....
-Perhaps a chart for 12V battery voltage and current, so as to monitor the ongoing state of the 12V battery?
-Perhaps a chart keeping track of the CP mV difference, the difference between max and min cell voltages, to monitor how well balanced the pack is?

But overall, it's already a really good website. It's extra useful for people like myself who have nil access to carwings - it isn't available at all in New Zealand :(

I am only getting this:

T6H3eJ4l.png

Just me or everyone?

Sorry, I broke something. A half-baked new feature got released that I had not intended to release yet. It should be fixed now.

Am I missing a link to the Log Viewer website?

Perhaps keep the first post updated with the current link,
registration procedure, login procedure, and required
database format, please.

Cheers, Gary

Thanks for pointing this out Gary. I see the first post is very out of date. I will do an update over the weekend and and update to http://leaflogger.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but in general:

Current link: http://www.leaflogger.com/Login.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Registration procedure: contact me here via PM to get an account

Login procedure: go to http://www.leaflogger.com/Login.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and use your email to log in

Required database format: Use the log file in CSV format provided by Leaf Spy Pro directly. Do not alter the CSV with Excel as it will corrupt the data. Don't worry about clearing out duplicate records: LeafLogger will ignore duplicates.

I finally got around to creating the self sign-up functionality. See http://leaflogger.com/Login.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and click "Create an account" to get a login to the website.

I am working on improvements to LeafLogger to display efficiencies of segments of your trip in different colors. Here is an example:
leaflogger_efficiency_screenshot.png

Green is the most efficient, red is the least.
It is still a work in progress but almost ready to share. If you would like a login go to:
http://leaflogger.com/Login.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great job you have done here, Kevin! Thank you!

I am working on building logs of alternative routes to and from the 3 or 4 places I frequent often in a week. I've already confirmed the efficiency of one of the routes today.

I'm curious about the suggested frequency of data samples. I know you suggest at least 30 second or less, and I have LeafSpy set to log data every 10 seconds. But would 5 or 2 second frequency add to the overall accuracy/reliability of the displayed data?

Thanks for your hard work!

I'm curious about the suggested frequency of data samples. I know you suggest at least 30 second or less, and I have LeafSpy set to log data every 10 seconds. But would 5 or 2 second frequency add to the overall accuracy/reliability of the displayed data?
In my opinion: not really. 10 seconds is fine. At 60 miles / hr that is 1 mile a minute, and at 15 seconds that is every 1/4 mile. For simple energy usage that should be fine.

With the current version I am dropping a numbered marker every 5 samples, so the display got quite crowded when the sample rate was very high. But with the new version it drops a marker every 2 miles regardless of samples. So more samples won't hurt but doesn't really help.

kevinleaf said:
In my opinion: not really. 10 seconds is fine. At 60 miles / hr that is 1 mile a minute, and at 15 seconds that is every 1/4 mile. For simple energy usage that should be fine.

With the current version I am dropping a numbered marker every 5 samples, so the display got quite crowded when the sample rate was very high. But with the new version it drops a marker every 2 miles regardless of samples. So more samples won't hurt but doesn't really help.
Thanks for the info, Kevin! I'll keep it a 10 seconds.

I am having some problems with my server today so LeafLogger is down. I hope to have it fixed shortly.

Thanks for your patience!

My server seems to be working correctly again. Let me know if you experience any access problems with LeafLogger.

LeafLogger fans: I am in the process of moving the site to a new server so it is temporarily down or showing another website by accident. It should be back up Sunday night 12/14 at some point.

Thanks for your patience!

Is there some size limit for log files, or is it okay if they keep growing indefinitely? My hunch is that if I deleted the files from my phone, the app would recreate a new pair with the same file names anyway... does it matter at the viewer end?

I got Leaf Spy pro to save some trip files today, at least I think I did, it gave a file name when I touched save. I wanted to try them on the viewer website but I can't find them on the phone. Promising looking folders like LEAF_BT_CAN/LOG_FILES are empty. Can someone point me to a primer that shows how to find the files on the phone?

Kris1 said:
I got Leaf Spy pro to save some trip files today, at least I think I did, it gave a file name when I touched save. I wanted to try them on the viewer website but I can't find them on the phone. Promising looking folders like LEAF_BT_CAN/LOG_FILES are empty. Can someone point me to a primer that shows how to find the files on the phone?
Are you looking for the files using a file manager on the Phone or through a USB cable on a PC?

It is sometimes difficult to see new files using a PC as Android sometimes does not update the file list. A reboot fixes that but you don't want to do that each time you have a new file.

The easiest thing to do is install a program called ES File Explorer on your phone (free app). You can use it to verify the log files exist in the directory. After you link your dropbox to the app you can then wirelessly transfer the file to dropbox.

Back