FireDude
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:20 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 311209

Brakes Fail upon Powering On

Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:06 pm

I've seen other posts about the brakes on this forum but I am hoping to find a solution to this particular problem.

I charge the car to 100%, disengage the parking brake, apply the foot brake and power on then shift into gear (forward or reverse). The car starts moving as if the foot brake is not applied. Press harder on the foot brake pedal and it vibrates and makes a very loud chattering noise as the pedal pushes nearly to the floor then brakes suddenly lock up. Loud tapping noise can be heard and felt in the brake pedal even when stopped. The red "BRAKE" light is on, the yellow "!" circle is on and the triangular warning light is on.

I am lucky nothing or no one was behind the car when it happened because the car moved about 20 feet before I could get it stopped. I left the car for 6 hours and the problem cleared. I took it to Nissan of Fife dealership for an evaluation. 24 hours later I was told there were no error codes and they could not recreate the problem. They said they felt the car was safe to drive.

Now it's happening again and I cannot put my family in the car with this random and dangerous problem.

cwerdna
Posts: 8417
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Brakes Fail upon Powering On

Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:15 pm

I'd report the problem to Nissan corporate and after a dealer attempts to resolve it again (hopefully successfully), file a safety complaint w/NHTSA at http://www.safercar.gov/, including what they did to resolve it.

FWIW, when I lived in WA, I used to sometimes take my Nissans to Nissan of Fife (WAY before the Leaf existed), as their service dept had a good rep.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

billg
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:57 am
Delivery Date: 05 Aug 2014
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Brakes Fail upon Powering On

Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:39 pm

Probably your 12 volt battery is failing.
Read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18022

cwerdna
Posts: 8417
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Brakes Fail upon Powering On

Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:49 pm

billg wrote:Probably your 12 volt battery is failing.
Read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18022

Could be, but nevertheless, sounds like a legitimate and reportable safety defect, possibly a design flaw.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

TimLee
Posts: 2811
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: Brakes Fail upon Powering On

Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:26 am

FireDude wrote:... I took it to Nissan of Fife dealership for an evaluation. 24 hours later I was told there were no error codes and they could not recreate the problem. They said they felt the car was safe to drive.

Now it's happening again and I cannot put my family in the car with this random and dangerous problem.

Did they do a capacity test on the 12 V battery :?: :?:

If not, they are not competent to service the car.

Low 12V battery voltage is a well known source of seriously dangerous braking problems in the LEAF.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

migs
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:43 am
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2014

Re: Brakes Fail upon Powering On

Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:53 am

I have been having this problem for couple months. Brand new 2014 Leaf S. Runs fine. Once in a while when I start the vehicle, it goes into a mode where the brake light, ABS light is on. It was in the shop (at dealership) for three weeks, they couldn't figure out the issue. Recently even the battery power failure message also came. It went back to shop this week, still waiting it to get fixed. It is becoming unreliable now. Getting frustrated.

Does anyone have similar experience, if yes, how did it get fixed?

bbrowncods
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:53 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2014
Leaf Number: 339458
Location: Norfolk VA

Re: Brakes Fail upon Powering On

Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:36 pm

migs wrote:I have been having this problem for couple months. Brand new 2014 Leaf S. Runs fine. Once in a while when I start the vehicle, it goes into a mode where the brake light, ABS light is on. It was in the shop (at dealership) for three weeks, they couldn't figure out the issue. Recently even the battery power failure message also came. It went back to shop this week, still waiting it to get fixed. It is becoming unreliable now. Getting frustrated.

Does anyone have similar experience, if yes, how did it get fixed?


Check the 12V battery.
2014 Cayenne Red Leaf SL purchased 6/9/2014 (dealer received it on 6/7/2014), manufacture date 4/2014.
7/4/14 -629 miles, Temp 83, SOC 97.5, 59.81 Ahr, SOH 91%, Hx 91.44, 20.2 Kwh, Avg 4.127, High 4.136, Low 4.122, GIDS 267/92.5%.

Franck0035
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:03 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Nov 2013

Re: Brakes Fail upon Powering On

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:53 pm

Hello All from Québec Canada!!

I'm glad we found this post. As of today, we are several 2014-2015 Leaf owners in Québec which has recently reported some momentarily braking system failure (as you described) which seems to occur mostly in cold temperature, (below -20c). One of the Leaf owner that had the problem was able to take a video while it happenned to share it with the others. I know it's in french, but listen until the end, you will see and hear what the problem looks like. Apparently the brake pedal has to be pushed at more than 50% of it course before you can finally feel the car slowing down. After you hear some "Toc" Toc", only then it will start to brake but lightly. So far, we are aware that at least 5 Leaf owners from Québec had this problem and they reported it to Nissan Canada. We are still all waiting and very, very anxious to hear from them. Of course no dealer was able to find the problem, saying it could be just a bad relay contact in this cold weather (!!!!!!!) This braking problem can be potentially VERY dangerous and I hope Nissan will react very quickly before anything bad happens. Again, this seems to be happening only to 2014-2015 Leaf owners. I hope you will be able to see the video with this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rpjac5zo0yz5 ... 254730-996

ElectricEddy
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.

Re: Brakes Fail upon Powering On

Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:21 pm

FireDude wrote:I've seen other posts about the brakes on this forum but I am hoping to find a solution to this particular problem.

I charge the car to 100%, disengage the parking brake, apply the foot brake and power on then shift into gear (forward or reverse). The car starts moving as if the foot brake is not applied. Press harder on the foot brake pedal and it vibrates and makes a very loud chattering noise as the pedal pushes nearly to the floor then brakes suddenly lock up. Loud tapping noise can be heard and felt in the brake pedal even when stopped. The red "BRAKE" light is on, the yellow "!" circle is on and the triangular warning light is on.

I am lucky nothing or no one was behind the car when it happened because the car moved about 20 feet before I could get it stopped. I left the car for 6 hours and the problem cleared. I took it to Nissan of Fife dealership for an evaluation. 24 hours later I was told there were no error codes and they could not recreate the problem. They said they felt the car was safe to drive.

Now it's happening again and I cannot put my family in the car with this random and dangerous problem.

Can you update profile with location ? I assume a 13 SV or SL and what were the O/S temps when this occurred? Looks more serious than a 12V battery problem.
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Posts: 1875
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Brakes Fail upon Powering On

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:52 pm

I had this happen to my 2015 last night after work so it is not always related to cold temperatures. The 12-volt battery was NOT the problem. Two possible causes: 1) I bumped the power button while the car was booting up (don't know how it happened--never before in 3-1/2 years driving LEAFs). 2) Android device disrupted CAN bus communication when it's battery died while sitting on the seat with LEAF Spy running while the car was parked during the afternoon (not likely). I tried turning the car off and back on several times and it always came up in ready mode so it could be driven, but had warning lights for ABS, VSC, and brake control module. Braking was available, but the loud noise (kind of a grinding sound like relief valves opening and closing rapidly) heard in the Canadian video (French) linked in an earlier post was present whenever brake pedal was depressed. DTCs reported by LEAF Spy involved CAN bus communication errors and all three modules noted above. DTCs would not clear so I finally disconnected the 12-volt battery for a few minutes. After reconnecting the battery, I was able to clear the DTCs with LEAF Spy. I was left with a yellow (not red) brake warning light until the brake booster energy storage (probably a hydraulic accumulator) had about 30 seconds to 1 minute to recharge. Everything was normal on the drive home and it seems fine today.

Gerry
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”