Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffN

Concept to show at Detroit Auto Show next week. On track for 2017 for under $35,000.

The car is larger than the compact Volt and has a hatchback body style, the source said. GM has targeted a price between $30,000 and $35,000, which would put the net price under $30,000 after a federal tax credit, the person said.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150110/OEM05/150109863

MOD NOTE: Simplify title to make this the official Bolt thread (again).

Still just talk. They appear scared to let Tesla get too far out in front. Now they are matching Tesla by announcing a product with pricing before they ever built one to know what it will really cost. I hope both companies succeed, but right now I don't see either one capable of delivering in two years (2017).

If it really is on track for a 2017 model, that would mean release in just over a year, so they have already built one and should have a decent idea of the cost. But even if they do go over, anything under 40 would be amazing for a larger, 200-mile-epa hatchback.

I'm gonna give GM the benefit of the doubt here. They delivered the Volt on time, and that is far more complex than a pure EV.

I read it as an introduction by the end of 2017, so a MY2018. Sounds like they are pulling the same mistake as the Volt intro by overhyping early, leaving no room to actually be excited by time the assembly line finally fires up. Same thing they are doing with the contrived strip tease intro crap with the Volt 2.0.

DanCar said:
pkulak said:
... and that is far more complex than a pure EV.
The main complexity is for LG to deliver at stated price, safety, quantity and density parameters
GM must be testing the battery already if the car is only due out in a couple years. GM is serious about their battery testing.

BTW - anyone object if I make this the official GM Bolt thread?

a : a shaft or missile designed to be shot from a crossbow or catapult; especially : a short stout usually blunt-headed arrow
b : a lightning stroke; also : thunderbolt

a : a wood or metal bar or rod used to fasten a door
b : the part of a lock that is shot or withdrawn by the key

: a roll of cloth or wallpaper of specified length

: a metal rod or pin for fastening objects together that usually has a head at one end and a screw thread at the other and is secured by a nut

a : a block of timber to be sawed or cut
b : a short round section of a log

: a metal cylinder that drives the cartridge into the chamber of a firearm, locks the breech, and usually contains the firing pin and extractor

GMs been confused for decades, maybe they don't know which definition makes this word sound good for the name of a car?

seems like the common them is a round cylinder.

If it's out end of 2017, then it's not even worth discussing at this point. That is a lifetime away in EV terms. Leaf 2.0 will be out by then, along with, most likely, the model III and probably at least a few more long-range EVs from other manufacturers (Kia or Hyundia, I'm thinking).

Moof said:
I read it as an introduction by the end of 2017, so a MY2018. Sounds like they are pulling the same mistake as the Volt intro by overhyping early, leaving no room to actually be excited by time the assembly line finally fires up. Same thing they are doing with the contrived strip tease intro crap with the Volt 2.0.

According to the Detroit News, which generally has good GM sources:

According to analysts and some GM employee profiles, the Chevrolet Bolt, known as the "BEV2" internally, is due out by the 2017 model year.
In July, Reuters reported that South Korean battery firm LG Chem planned to supply a major automaker in 2016 with lithium-ion batteries for a new electric car getting 200 miles of range or more.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/detroit-auto-show/2015/01/09/gm-electric-concept-mile-range/21535887/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also:

Here's an update just published by GreenCarReports:

A source who saw the GM display being set up at the Detroit Auto Show yesterday told Green Car Reports that the centerpiece of the display was "one car in a dramatic reveal position (in a round shroud that gets lifted up) that didn't fit with anything currently in the lineup."

This car, the source said, was "shaped like a BMW i3"--which is to say tall and blunt-tailed. That would seem to confirm the suggestion that the Bolt is a crossover, or at least has a mini-SUV shape.

mwalsh said:
Honestly, now I'm a Volt owner (first time with GM after having nothing but Fords as my daily drivers for years) I'd personally rather have a Chevy than a Tesla, all else being equal. But that's just me.
Overall the Volt has proven to be quite reliable, while many Model S cars have required service under warranty. On the other hand, Tesla's SuperCharger network is a very strong draw for me. And Tesla has generally made servicing their vehicles about as painless as possible for the customer. So, at the same price point, I'd go for a Tesla.

abasile said:
mwalsh said:
Honestly, now I'm a Volt owner (first time with GM after having nothing but Fords as my daily drivers for years) I'd personally rather have a Chevy than a Tesla, all else being equal. But that's just me.
Overall the Volt has proven to be quite reliable, while many Model S cars have required service under warranty. On the other hand, Tesla's SuperCharger network is a very strong draw for me. And Tesla has generally made servicing their vehicles about as painless as possible for the customer. So, at the same price point, I'd go for a Tesla.

I think GM could establish more credibility in the BEV arena by installing a nation wide chain of public quick charging stations much like the SuperCharger network, but different in that stations could support all configurations of QC.

dhanson865 said:
a : a shaft or missile designed to be shot from a crossbow or catapult; especially : a short stout usually blunt-headed arrow
b : a lightning stroke; also : thunderbolt

a : a wood or metal bar or rod used to fasten a door
b : the part of a lock that is shot or withdrawn by the key

: a roll of cloth or wallpaper of specified length

: a metal rod or pin for fastening objects together that usually has a head at one end and a screw thread at the other and is secured by a nut

a : a block of timber to be sawed or cut
b : a short round section of a log

: a metal cylinder that drives the cartridge into the chamber of a firearm, locks the breech, and usually contains the firing pin and extractor

GMs been confused for decades, maybe they don't know which definition makes this word sound good for the name of a car?

seems like the common them is a round cylinder.
What about:
bolt (verb)

intransitive verb

1: to move suddenly or nervously : start

2: to move or proceed rapidly : dash

3a : to dart off or away : flee
b : to break away from control or a set course

4: to break away from or oppose one's previous affiliation (as with a political party or sports team)

5: to produce seed prematurely

transitive verb

a archaic : shoot, discharge
b : flush, start <bolt rabbits>

2: to say impulsively : blurt

3: to secure with a bolt <bolt the door>

4: to attach or fasten with bolts

5: to eat hastily or without chewing <bolted his breakfast>

6: to break away from or refuse to support (as a political party)
"to move or proceed rapidly" seems like a good car name usage. And it rhymes with "Volt"... ;)

mwalsh said:

no, that is not just you. Said this online and a "few" people thought I was crazy but if you don't have a Tesla now, you are not likely to have one later.

Why pay $45,000 for something when you can get similar range for 30? What the Bolt represents is where a few companies will be. Now, realistically, I think their price prediction is right on but their range claim a bit on the optimistic side.

But even if its only 160-170 miles or whatever, that is all most would need. Add in a few convenient fast chargers (by far the toughest challenge it would seem) and now you have a better than 99% solution. I take trips of roughly that distance a half dozen times a year one way and we ALWAYS stop at least twice for "something"

abasile said:
mwalsh said:

I agree about the Tesla advantage, I'd love to have a Tesla for the features and quality of product after the shakedown cruise is over.

but as to the Volt, you and I have a different standard for "quite reliable". Take a look at 2013 cars in this list:

for 2013 (lower is better)

99 Tesla Model S
41 Chevrolet Volt
34 Nissan Leaf
5 Toyota Prius

99 Tesla Model S (nice car, they definitely need to slow down and get initial build quality up)

41 Chevrolet Volt (2012 chimes in at 45 so 2013 doesn't look like an outlier)

34 Nissan Leaf (2012 is only 30, and 2011 is only 20 so earlier leafs have better numbers)

5 Toyota Prius (likely this number will go up to more normal Prius repair numbers which range from 13-30 depending on the year)

Lower is better (less repair trips per year per hundred cars). I'd consider the 10-20 range extremely reliable, 21-30 range quite reliable, and 31-50 OK but nothing to brag about, and so on.

Sure the Volt is OK but after driving the Prius as long as I have I don't want to go back to OK, I want to stay with quite/extremely reliable.

http://www.truedelta.com/Nissan-LEAF/reliability-968/vs-Volt-1048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.truedelta.com/Chevrolet-Volt/reliability-1048/vs-Prius-272" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and that list is by no means exhaustive, check out other years or other models if you want to see how something else compares. Just note that the Prius has stayed on the good side of repair history from 2004-2014 and vs that baseline newer Leafs and Volts stand out as having more repairs.

Long term I'm not happy with the Volt having a gas engine and additional cooling system (there have been many cooling system failures in those volt repairs).

I'd bank on the Leaf being more reliable than the Volt long term. The question is will the Bolt ditch the less reliable parts of the Volt or will it keep them?

I think it is likely, based on all of the hints from Nissan and now the Bolt, that 200 mile range will be typical on the next generation of EV's in 2016 and 2017. In addition, the next Volt is said to have more range. We'll know more tomorrow at the Detroit Auto Show. I'm pleased to hear this news. In the short run there will be too many offerings in the EV segment for the size of the market, but in the long run it should begin to shape consumer preferences.

Back