Today I drove my ICE Car, Do you still use your ICE car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rarely. But, last week we had a 1,000 mile round trip on our 3 day extended weekend, so the ICE was appreciated. Our longest non-stop segment on that drive was 5 hours. Hoping we'll have an EV that can do that with our next car purchase!

I did a 2400 mile trip to Oregon to visit family last month; averaged 25 mpg, which is pretty good for a '96 Jeep Cherokee. Prior to that I went from December to April without buying gas for it.

I need to force myself to drive it once a month to keep it in good working order. I have a rugged off-road trip—to visit Rattlesnake Arches—that I've been mulling over, which should suffice for this month.

Never drive without the Leaf. Wife telecommutes to work so she drives the Lexus car to karate once a week for the kid while i'm at work. I drove the supra to a car show a couple weekends ago. The lex truck gets no action and I'm seriously considering unloading it. 5700 miles in the leaf since March. We will be doing a Griswold style vacation in the Lexus next month, headed to California. Finally, I will miss the Prius!

GeekEV said:
ebill3 said:
Lasareath said:
Do you still use your ICE car?
Don't have one to use. :lol:
Me neither... :cool:

I traded mine in when I bought the LEAF. Haven't looked back. When I need to carry a bunch of stuff I take the '96 Odyssey off the battery tender and load it up with lumber or whatever. If I need to take a long trip, I rent a car.

Drive my SUV (which is much faster than my LEAF) only when I need to haul something, or need the range. Love my SUV, but hate the fact that when I hit the brakes, I feel like I am pouring gasoline out of the window. Not having any regen braking (and especially not having B!) is what pisses me of the most about ICE vehicles.

After owning my LEAF for ten months, I am realizing how unusual it is to need to start up my 2002 Chrysler minivan. It did get to go to Tahoe for a four day trip earlier this month. When the registration and insurance come due, it will probably be time to sell or donate it. I am not going ICEless as I do have access to my husband's Honda if necessary. However, I can't remember when that last happened. The LEAF fits my daily needs perfectly.

Lasareath said:
Yes. We have three ICEVs. If we didn't use them, I guess we would get rid of them.

We've had our 2011 LEAF just a little over 15 months now, so we have been able to see our driving patterns for all our vehicles for over one year. Here are some numbers:
Code:
Vehicle                         miles/year   Efficiency   Fuel $/year   Fuel cents/mi
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011 Nissan LEAF                   7600        4 mi/kWh       $190           2.5
2003 Honda Civic Hybrid            3900       48 mi/gal       $284           7.3
2002 Ford E350                     2000       13 mi/gal       $538          26.9
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager        2300       22 mi/gal       $366          15.9
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fleet:                           15,800                      $1378           8.7  

Assumptions:
- Electricity costs $0.10 per kWh
- Gasoline costs $3.50 per gallon

I think I may do the same. I have one client that is too far away to use the Leaf. In 2012 I made $912 from them and in 2013 it's probably going to be $2500.00 (they are bigger now)

The ICE car costs me around $130 a month for full coverage in Insurance, $44 for registration every year, Maybe $200 in Gas for the year, $12 a year for the Ezpass tag. So the ICE car costs me around $1816 a year. After I pay my taxes on the $2500 I'll probably break even. Maybe it's not worth keeping. Just rent a Truck when I need to carry something big and a zip car when I need another car.

And I can probably get $1000 for it if I sell it.

Can I leave my Leaf at the car rental place while I am using their car? I have to look into that.

JohnOver said:
If I need to take a long trip, I rent a car.

RegGuheert said:
We've had our 2011 LEAF just a little over 15 months now, so we have been able to see our driving patterns for all our vehicles for over one year. Here are some numbers:
Code:
Vehicle                         miles/year   Efficiency   gal/year   Fuel $/year   Fuel cents/mi
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011 Nissan LEAF                   7600        4 mi/kWh       0         $190           2.5
2003 Honda Civic Hybrid            3900       48 mi/gal      81         $284           7.3
2002 Ford E350                     2000       13 mi/gal     154         $538          26.9
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager        2300       22 mi/gal     105         $366          15.9
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fleet:                           15,800                     340        $1378           8.7  

Assumptions:
- Gasoline costs $3.50 per gallon
I thought it might be a good time to update this information to see how much fuel we are using recently:
Code:
Vehicle                          odometer   miles/year   Efficiency   gal/year   Fuel $/year   Fuel cents/mi
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011 Nissan LEAF                   23,397      6750        4 mi/kWh       0         $169           2.5
2003 Honda Civic Hybrid            99,610      6400       48 mi/gal     133         $333           5.2
2002 Ford E350                     68,967      1500       13 mi/gal     115         $288          19.2
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager      ~103,000        00       22 mi/gal       0           $0          11.3
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fleet:                           ~294,974    14,650                     248         $790           5.4  

Assumptions:
- Gasoline costs $2.50 per gallon
- Minivan is parked right now, but it is still alive
A couple of interesting observations when comparing the recent results with 19 months ago:

- Gasoline consumption dropped 27% from last year!
- Our overall fuel expense for the year has dropped by nearly $600! (Most of that savings was due to not driving the vans as much, but part of it was due to the lower gas prices.)
- Our overall fuel expense per mile dropped from 8.7c/mile to 5.4c/mile. (Again, due to moving trips into the Honda from the vans and the reduced cost of fuel.)
- It appears we are driving fewer miles, by a small amount. (This is probably because we do not currently have any college students!)
- We are putting fewer miles on the LEAF than we did previously. (Mainly some trips have been eliminated. While range has gone down, the installation of some quick chargers has made some trips possible in the LEAF which were previously out of reach. Overall, I would say the QCs have added about the same number of miles as were lost to range loss.)
- We are putting more miles on the Honda Civic Hybrid. (Most of the difference is about 2000 miles my daughter put on the car when she had car troubles and borrowed the Honda. The other 500 extra miles are probably real and likely allowed us to keep some miles off the vans.)

Yes, I do drive my ICE vehicle a few times a year. Stats:

Leaf - 10,000 miles per year, driven over 300 days per year
Camry - about 3,500 miles per year driven over perhaps about 10 days (only used on trips of hundreds of miles per day, always has 2-3 other passengers in vehicle)

The remainder of the days I am either backpacking (car not accessible) or don't bother to drive anywhere.

I drove my ICE car less than 1700 miles last year; I was kind of surprised it was that much, however. I need to drive it next week to get the oil changed, since it has been a year and a half. My LEAF mileage was about 8500 miles last year.

I usually take a 2200 mile trip in the ICE car every year but had to skip it last year. So my ICE car mileage is typically around 3000 miles per year.

My hope is to replace the LEAF with a Tesla Model III in a few years and finally get rid of the ICE car. Then the only ICE I would have would be my chainsaw.

Yes. We have 3 cars. (2) ICE, (1) Leaf. We were going to sell one of the ICE cars but my wife and I realized that there is about 6-10 days a year where we both need a long range car. Keeping the third car, with cheap minimal insurance and registration fees still makes it cheaper than renting one those days.

For local electrical work I can get an 8', 6' and 4' ladder c/w most hand tools and some inventory in the Leaf (with the hatch closed), but if I have to get higher or out of town, its the Ford van. Waiting for a 48 kwh ENV200 .

Lasareath said:
I had to use my ICE car today :(

Had to fill up the tank, took $32.00 of regular gas. I had to go to a client that was 140 mile round trip. My 10 year old Hyundai Elantra hatchback gave me 27.5 miles per gallon with all the windows and sunroof open and the music blaring!

I was really depressed, I wanted to drive my LEAF so bad :(

Lasareath

I use it when I'm going out for a drive and I don't have any real idea where I'm going. I use it when I drive over 25 miles on a cold night.

I initially kept my 2002 van so I could visit our daughters in San Diego and LA from San Jose a couple of times a year. They have both moved, so now it is only going to Tahoe once each June. We have decided to keep it one more year and evaluate our usage again at that time. Still loving my LEAF in San Jose.

My ICE has been gone for 7 months.

I had it for the first 15 months that I owned the LEAF and I used it 4 Times!!!!

It was not worth all the money wasted for insurance to keep it around!

I don't miss it at all.

I LOVE my #NissanLEAF

Sal
#UBUYGAS

If you include our boat, I have seven ICEs (twin inboard engines on the boat, a dinghy outboard engine, a 5Kw genset on the boat, a 7Kw portable generator at home, a portable power washer, and a car)...

Back