Today I drove my ICE Car, Do you still use your ICE car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonDawg said:
I try to use my Audi at least once a month. Since I got my Leaf in January, I've taken it on 3 trips that were beyond the Leaf's range.

In 2014, I put a grand total of.....

2,000 miles on the Audi.

It is not going to happen in the foreseeable future except for slow and/or limited range harbor cruisers like the duffy, and small outboards... My boat has two 300 HP diesels which typically run at about 60% power... Can you imagine the size and weight of the pack to get any suitable range! Novamarine made an electric ski boat but it was very limited purpose and had a short run time.

mbender said:
Boating should all go electric, too (eventually). Can't wait until it does...

mbender said:
Love my LEAF, too, and hope I never have to drive an ICE again!!
(It's totally changed my one major regret about living in the exurbs.)

One of the reasons we got our Leaf is that we are moving from the outer ring suburbs to a first ring suburb.
We calculate our average trip distance will go from 5o miles to 25 miles:)

I sold my truck last year. Now I have only the leaf. Last week I took a 240 mile round trip adventure along the west coast electric highway in my leaf. Because it was the only car I had. The entire trip was 12 hours, and the battery was at 8 temp bars when I got home. Lots of waiting around for the car to charge. Even with DC fast charging there still is a wait. Plus other people at the chargers... I told myself, no more. Next weekend I am headed for Spokane, Which is a 600 mile round trip. This time for $60, I'm renting a Nissan Altima for 3 days. My time spent on the road will be less than it took me on my trip last weekend. I took my leaf to Spokane before, it was a 12 hour trip each way. ICE car, 4 hours. The Leaf is a great car, but not for everything like an ICE car is. Sometimes it is NOT the right tool for the job. It is an around town commuter car. That's it.

TomT said:
It is not going to happen in the foreseeable future except for slow and/or limited range harbor cruisers like the duffy, and small outboards... My boat has two 300 HP diesels which typically run at about 60% power... Can you imagine the size and weight of the pack to get any suitable range! Novamarine made an electric ski boat but it was very limited purpose and had a short run time.

mbender said:
Boating should all go electric, too (eventually). Can't wait until it does...
Well the good thing about boats is that weight isn't nearly as much of an issue, and there is plenty of room below. (3) Don't submarines use a lot of batteries? (4) Isn't the P85D almost 700 hp? (5) Is 15 years foreseeable? 20, 25?

Just curious and a bit off-topic, but have you thought of or tried using 100% biodiesel? Short of everything ICE going electric, I'm hoping for a novel, sustainable and scalable way of producing biodiesel to appear, and for all ICEs to go to diesel.

I have to drive about 46 miles RT on Tuesday, to a medical appointment. The forecast is for a high temp of 14F. This time I think I'm going to drive my friend's PIP, rather than ration heat.

mbender said:
Well the good thing about boats is that weight isn't nearly as much of an issue, and there is plenty of room below. (3) Don't submarines use a lot of batteries? (4) Isn't the P85D almost 700 hp? (5) Is 15 years foreseeable? 20, 25?
Well the bad thing about boats is that they never coast. The water is a constant drag which is why boats don't need brakes. They need as much power to stay up to speed as to get there. So I see them going all electric just as soon as we have mini nuclear power plants for them. Is that 25 years out? :D

jpadc said:
mbender said:
Well the bad thing about boats is that they never coast. The water is a constant drag which is why boats don't need brakes. They need as much power to stay up to speed as to get there. So I see them going all electric just as soon as we have mini nuclear power plants for them. Is that 25 years out? :D
Maybe that technique for laser etching metal to make it hydrophobic will make boats a lot more efficient?

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/new-amazing-metal-is-so-hydrophobic-it-makes-water-boun-1680799039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since you can't take fuel to a boat - at least a bigger one - you are pretty much limited to what is available at the fuel dock at the marina... So far, biodiesel has not made much of an inroad at most of them...

mbender said:
Just curious and a bit off-topic, but have you thought of or tried using 100% biodiesel? Short of everything ICE going electric, I'm hoping for a novel, sustainable and scalable way of producing biodiesel to appear, and for all ICEs to go to diesel.

I think there's lots of room for electric propulsion on a sail boat. They just haul lead down in the keel anyway. Might as well be a battery. True sailors just use the motor for propulsion through channels and in harbor anyway, and the power requirements for sailboat engines are quite low. Might even be able to put solar panels on deck to charge the batteries, or even figure out a way to use them as sails!

The problem is that the ballast weight on a sailboat has to be very low to serve the intended purpose, and a keel is a very narrow and odd shape, unsuitable for conventional batteries... It is also generally inaccessible. But a sailboat's modest propulsion requirements ARE best suited to electric power...

johnrhansen said:
I think there's lots of room for electric propulsion on a sail boat. They just haul lead down in the keel anyway. Might as well be a battery.

I think that just as we need to adjust our expectations when going from an ICE car to a BEV, there also needs to be an adjustment when looking at electric boats. Especially the idea that you need 200-600HP to make a boat practical and/or fun. For that matter, what about serial hybrids, with or without solar panels, to charge while docked or moving slowly? Think of a long range serial hybrid boat that charges its batteries when moving at a slow cruise, but can use them for bursts of speed or for EV Mode when needed. My take is that 90% of the boats fouling our waters (and views of them) are essentially SUVs, not real working vehicles.

That is why they are called "recreational boaters..."

By the way, since boats are taxed as property in most locales, they contribute far more economically than most any car...

But this is getting so far off topic that I'm going to drop it here...

LeftieBiker said:
My take is that 90% of the boats fouling our waters (and views of them) are essentially SUVs, not real working vehicles.

Sure, we took the Highlander Hybrid to Las Vegas for Super Bowl weekend. Couldn't do that in the Leaf. However, I use the Leaf exclusively for commuting the 40 -50 miles per day for work and most of the time on weekends.

No range anxiety at all. Never had it, never will. When I know range will be a problem, I either plan for a recharge or take the ICE vehicle.

Back