iOS Version of LeafSpy Pro development discussion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
thankyouOB said:
are you looking for testers with iPhone 5 or later?
Once I complete the initial porting to iOS there will be some limited beta program. Basically to test out the Wifi connection code. I don't not have a copy of LeafStat but from the setup information I have seen it requires a Static setting for the IP Address whereas for Leaf Spy Pro it is just another Wifi connection and uses DHCP so nothing special is required. For Leaf Spy you will need to first select the Wifi network (your OBDII adapter) before Leaf Spy can connect. ...

As I understand it, the reason for setting a static address on iOS is that it allows you to leave the router and DNS fields blank. In this manner you continue using the cellular connection for data. iOS prefers to use WiFi for data, and making the connection with DHCP assigns the OBDII reader as router. So I think you might need to recommend the same procedure for setting a static address.

Nubo said:
Turbo3 said:
thankyouOB said:
are you looking for testers with iPhone 5 or later?
Once I complete the initial porting to iOS there will be some limited beta program. Basically to test out the Wifi connection code. I don't not have a copy of LeafStat but from the setup information I have seen it requires a Static setting for the IP Address whereas for Leaf Spy Pro it is just another Wifi connection and uses DHCP so nothing special is required. For Leaf Spy you will need to first select the Wifi network (your OBDII adapter) before Leaf Spy can connect. ...

As I understand it, the reason for setting a static address on iOS is that it allows you to leave the router and DNS fields blank. In this manner you continue using the cellular connection for data. iOS prefers to use WiFi for data, and making the connection with DHCP assigns the OBDII reader as router. So I think you might need to recommend the same procedure for setting a static address.
Thanks for the information. Yes, now that I think more about it I do recall the LeafStat thread talking about that issue.

Just tested with an iPhone 4 and confirmed that if you use DHCP to connect to the Wifi OBDII the iPhone does not use the Phone Data link so you have no internet connection while connected to the Wifi OBDII. Switching to Static with only IP Address and mask but not filling in the Router or DNS fields forces the iPhone to use its Phone Data network instead.

Actually this completes the key test I wanted to run since I assumed some people would be setup to run LeafStat and then try LeafSpy with the same settings.

So the bottom line is if you are setup to run LeafStat the same settings will work fine with LeafSpy. If you are starting fresh and your device does not have a data plan you can just use the default DCHP settings keeping it simple. If you have a data plan then best to setup same as LeafStat and use a static IP Address and mask leaving the other two fields blank. Don't use 192.168.0.10 as your static IP address as that is already taken.

NasGoreList said:
any updates on this?
Today I am working on uploading the app to iTunes for testing.

I still need to update the built-in help file for iOS. Right now it is exactly the same as the Android version.

4:22 PM - Submitted app for test review.

7:08 PM - Just checked and it moved to "In Review"

As of this morning still "In Review" so keeping my fingers crossed.

After reading more about the Beta testing found it will be limited to devices with iOS 8.0 or higher. This means an iPhone 4 can not be used for beta testing. An iPhone 4S would be OK. This is a limit of TestFlight when beta testing. The app itself needs 7.1 or higher.

Apple uses the app TestFlight to manage beta testing so anyone interested in being a beta tester should go to the App Store and install it to be sure their device is compatible.

You can have up to 1000 beta testers so anyone who is interested can be one. I just need an email address. When I sign you up as a tester you will receive an email invite. Open this on your iOS device using Apple's Mail app not another like Gmail. I have not seen the email yet but I assume if you have not installed TestFlight you will be directed to do so.

If you are interested in being a Beta tester and have devices with iOS 8.0 or higher just send me an email at [email protected] and I will add you to the list.

Beta versions are valid for 30 Days and unlike Google test apps you don't need to buy the app to be a tester.

Each tester can install the beta on up to 10 devices. So if you have an iPhone, iTouch and iPad you can test on all three.

12:33 PM - First try rejected.

I had not updated the Help file or change file for this test release so they were the same as the Android versions.

Apple does not like to see the word "Android" anywhere so they rejected the app. The help file also talked about LeafSpy Lite and Leaf Spy which they took as advertising when it was me just not updating the file yet.

I have updated both files for iOS LeafSpy Pro and resubmitted.

There were other changes I had already made while waiting like the icon. They don't like rounded corners so I changed that and added "PRO" to the icon and removed it from the title displayed on the home screen so it fits better and does not get cutoff. This version has better auto scaling for the Elevation/Speed graph and fixes a bug I found Friday night where I was plotting one more point than was in the array.

This forced me to finish up the text file updates so now it is ready for general release once a few testers verify the code work for them.

At least there were no comments about the actual code or how the app looked just the support text files which I knew needed to be updated.

3:17 PM - Submitted updated version
5:09 PM - Status updated to "In Review"

10:09 AM - Approved for TestFlight

Just sent out the invites to all the people who have requested to be in the test group.

Once you install the app tap the Menu icon (three dashed lines in upper right corner) to bring up the menu list at the bottom of the screen. Then select About/Help then WiFi Help for instructions to setup the WiFi network and LeafSpy Pro.

I did just notice one error in the Application Help where I use the old Android path for where the .CSV file is saved. I will update that in the next release. For iOS all files are save to the only location that can be seen by iTunes. There are no folders.

If you want to access the files LeafSpy Pro creates you will need to use iTunes.

Seems to be working well on my iPhone 6+ running 8.1.3 with my generic "clkdevices" v1.5 elm wifi device. I was even able to read dtc's. I installed it on an iPad as well but haven't had a chance to connect to the car with it yet.

adspguy said:
Seems to be working well on my iPhone 6+ running 8.1.3 with my generic "clkdevices" v1.5 elm wifi device. I was even able to read dtc's. I installed it on an iPad as well but haven't had a chance to connect to the car with it yet.
I could use some screenshots of all the screens with real data for the App Store listing. Select "Obscure VIN" before taking screenshot of screen 1.

I would like to start collecting information on the WiFi OBDII adapters my testers are using.

Please send me a description of the adapter and either a link to a picture from where you purchased it or take a picture and send it to me. The label with any name to help identify it is what I am looking for.

Right now I have one report of a KIWI Gen 1 not connecting and am waiting for an ELM trace to see why.

Really good stuff on LeafSpy! Got the beta downloaded and am testing on an iPad air 1 and an iPhone 5s, both running iOS 8.1.3.

I have this adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mini-ELM327-WiFi-with-Switch-For-IPhone-OBD2-OBD-Scanner-Code-Reader-Tool-/151352239350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Been using it with LeafStat for 3 months. Love it so far.

LeafSpy has ALOT going on, so I will play with some of the features. So far it works fine as far as I know, giving me all the info that LeafStat has plus the individual cell pairs and graphs. What is and how do you set up the elevation thing? Only 3 temp sensors for the battery (sensors 1, 2, and 4 show up)?

More as I figure it out! Great stuff. Great to have another app to show these geeky numbers.

Curt

Version 1.0.3 is "Waiting for Review". I thought a minor update would not need a review but I was not given that option.

This version has the fix for the app shutting down a second after connecting to the ELM adapter.

6:55 PM - "In Review"
7:29 AM - "Approved" - Invites sent to all testers

I have fixed an issue reported by a tester where the option in Settings to select Miles/kWh or Wh/Mile (km/kWh or Wh/km) was not supported like in the Android version.

It should have been supported but I missed adding the code to support the button when I ported the code over.

The next release (1.0.4) will fully support that selection option.

Testing is showing that the PLX KiWi Gen 1 and Gen 2 are not currently compatible with LeafSpy Pro.

If any one has a PLX KiWi that actually works please let me know.

I just received a KiWi 2 and confirmed it does not work (crashes) the released test version (1.0.3) of the app. I was able to get it to work by making some minor changes to the initial ELM command stream. However, I would like to understand why without those changes the app crashes.

I should have all this sorted out in the next release.

Sent a request to PLX for an explanation of the conditions under which their adapter sends the LV RESET message.

I added a simple three line fix that treats the LV RESET as a response to ATZ and then skipped sending ATZ. That fixes the problem for the KiWi 2 WiFI adapter I have. Not sure why but perhaps when I hear back from PLX I will understand.

Will release a new version (1.0.4) tonight with this change for testing by anyone with a KiWi adapter.

Have not yet released the next version. I got a report that if you are playing music it will stop when LeafSpy makes a sound.

The simple fix for now is to just have an option in settings to disable sound so this will not happen.

Later I can do some research to see if music and app sounds can coexist.

I've used this adapter with good results. Includes on/off switch.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IUHDM64/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So far Leafspy works great!

Version 1.0.4 has been uploaded and is "Waiting for Review"

* New option in Settings/System to allow background music to continue to play by disabling app sounds
* Potential fix for PLX KiWi WiFi adapters
* Allow energy efficiency units to be changed is Settings/Range
* Fixed bug on Clear DTC screen that made it hard to select Area and left selection window on screen. Added message that a Long Tap is needed to select Area.

Back