ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rdhauser said:
decided to stop at the Tahoma Market quick charger for a security charge. We thought we were just about through with the seventh bar (just below half a tank) and so selected 60% charge from the Blink quick charge options. That wasn't quite enough so I suspect there is some difference between what we track and what a charger gets from he car's system. We got home fine, but the last two or three miles were under the Low battery warning. Didn't ever see turtle, though. If we stop for a security charge in the future, I'm sure we'll take the time to get more charge than we need.

Yeah, on our 2011s there is a difference as Tom notes here: http://www.saxton.org/tom_saxton/2012/09/dcqc-soc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone notice anything up with AV lately? On our last travels we couldn't QC in Eugene or Albany. Put a hell of a dent in our trip. Eugene was luckily our destination, and we were able to drive through Albany to the courthouse charger in Salem, but multiple out-of-service chargers is _not_ what I'm paying $20 a month for. We're going to cancel our membership and rent from now on. No sense risking a disaster. Sitting at level 2 for 2.5 hours is not my idea of a good time, and we came _very_ close to doing just that!

pkulak said:
Anyone notice anything up with AV lately?
Not here..
I QC'd today in Lincoln City and QC'd Friday at Spirit Mountain.

Just checked plugshare and the Albany/Tangent AV charger has 2 successes recently (one 5 hours ago).
Not sure what happened when you were trying...

I'd blame those guys who hacked Sony.. ;-) (Kidding.. Sorry..)

desiv

Actually, check Albany again. The last check in was actually a failure. So it isn't just me. It did work for the person right after me though.

pkulak said:
Actually, check Albany again. The last check in was actually a failure. So it isn't just me. It did work for the person right after me though.
We must be looking at different spots.
I'm looking at the Aerovironment one listed as the Tangent Chevron.
The last I see is a successful DCFC from David & Tammy as of 6 hours ago.
(I'm using plugshare.com for that info)

desiv

desiv said:
pkulak said:
We must be looking at different spots.
I'm looking at the Aerovironment one listed as the Tangent Chevron.
The last I see is a successful DCFC from David & Tammy as of 6 hours ago.
(I'm using plugshare.com for that info)

desiv

http://www.plugshare.com/?location=44565" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Quick charge is down. Level to charge is working."

I had the Monmouth AV QC locked on "tap fob to start" yesterday. Never had a prob with this one before and have used it over 20 times since June 2014 (7 months or so). Called and guy reset/rebooted the QC and it charged no problem.

McMinnville AV QC worked right away. My 1st i3 sighting as well in McMinnville! It was charging on Level 2. I think it would have CCS as an option? AV QC are Chademo, of course.

Anyway, it's ugly, but cute all in the same sighting. My wife liked the interior, asked if it got more range than our Leaf. Well, I said if u get the gas engine REx!

I use the Grand Ronde one alot and the Lincoln City one. Both locations have been perfect, even in the heat of summer and rain of winter. I've used the Albany/Tangent one, but it's too close to home for my need. Unless coming home off I-5 and I'm 8 miles short of range!

Curt

I've been published!

https://www.facebook.com/PacificCityOregon
Over on the right-side column under Visitor's Guide...starts with "Electric vehicle station..."

Wasn't sure where to post and share this.

Anyway, I am trying to get a charging station in Pacific City, Oregon. Great destination for many from the Willamette Valley as well as Portland (and beyond, really). I mean, c'mon, beer on the beach! Pelican Brewery, Bob Straub State Park. It's just a great small Oregon Coast town that needs chargers whilst visiting and spending money.

Check it out and let's see what we can do to get this done.

Curt

finman100 said:
Anyway, I am trying to get a charging station in Pacific City, Oregon.
Congats!!!
I'm all for more stations, and the closer to me, the better. ;-)
I live in Lincoln City, where there's lots of charging (well, 3. 2 free L2s and an AV.net L3/L2 setup).
I know Newport has an (2 now?) L3.
But one on the way between them would be great...
And Pacific City is a great spot....

Good luck!

desiv

Yes, more charging! We do use the Lincoln City Aerovironment QC when we don't want to pay $10 for the Seascape RV Park connection. Lincoln City is just a bit out of the way when we return to the Valley from Pacific City. We usually can make Highway 18/22 all the way back to Highway 99, via Grand Ronde AV quick charge, which is a very busy location!

And Bob at the Seascape RV Park has most recently let us charge for $5 for 2 hours if an RV spot is open, instead of $10 no matter what.

Destination charging is great! While we walk the beaches, have a brew at the Pelican, or any other local business activity, we are 'filling' the car for the return trip.

Hopefully more and more businesses realize this and just need some guidance and more voices heard to get on this bandwagon.

Curt

Has Washington State finished installing quick chargers? I still don't feel comfortable traveling from Olympia to Seattle. The Blink quick chargers are horribly unreliable. I wish there were a way we could have them all replaced with AV quick chargers. :evil:

I completely agree with the Blink statement. So frustrating! I have Chargepoint ranked above Blink and that is saying something. The Chargepoint chargers at Nissan dealers have heat issues, shutting down when hot because most have been installed with NO shade. Yes it gets hot here in the PNW. It also eventually stops raining, haha.

The AV network just works. Some of the spots here in OR are becoming busy...need more stalls per location. But of course that is years away. One can hope.

Plugshare.com is still awesome. I've checked it alot since getting my Leaf June 2014 and there are many new places to QC. But many are unreliable as to be funny.

Curt

I have to agree with the AV network's reliability. Unfortunately for my plans to visit the Tacoma area last weekend, I checked the Aerovironment web site the Friday evening before, and found the Castle Rock station was "unavailable". I phoned their 24/7 support number in hopes that their info was stale. No; it turns out that the web site's picture is pretty much live. The phone operator consulted her computer and told me that her records showed that the QC station had "failed a self-test" three hours previously, and that was the reason it was offline. It's very encouraging that their info is so current, and even MORE encouraging that they actually have regularly-executing selftests (the Blink network's selftests were all provided by irate users). Now if only it would occur to them to have someone in their service department take a look at their site every few hours, and preemptively go off and start the repair without being asked.

Luft said:
Has Washington State finished installing quick chargers? I still don't feel comfortable traveling from Olympia to Seattle. The Blink quick chargers are horribly unreliable. I wish there were a way we could have them all replaced with AV quick chargers. :evil:

According to the Governor during his speech at Bellevue Nissan's grand opening (and unveiling of the largest concentration of Chademo Chargers in the US) they will be starting installations back up. no real info given but there was a study done last June and the proposals are pretty compelling

11016779_10206500916629591_4515784625194246276_o.jpg

Proposed Grays Harbor Coastal coverage

I'm glad they aren't finished yet and being able to easily reach Ocean Shores would be great!

However, I see they don't plan on any more between Olympia and Seattle. There are quite a few now but as I said most can't be trusted. Ecotally needs to be forced to either keep their DCQC operational or help pay to have more reliable units installed such as AV DCQC units.

The bad thing about having DCQC units spread too thin is that if a driver arrives at a charger and it is down, that driver may not be able to reach the next station. I have been burned by Blink chargers too often and I always get a queezy feeling if I have to depend on one.

Luft said:
I'm glad they aren't finished yet and being able to easily reach Ocean Shores would be great!

However, I see they don't plan on any more between Olympia and Seattle. There are quite a few now but as I said most can't be trusted. Ecotally needs to be forced to either keep their DCQC operational or help pay to have more reliable units installed such as AV DCQC units.

The bad thing about having DCQC units spread too thin is that if a driver arrives at a charger and it is down, that driver may not be able to reach the next station. I have been burned by Blink chargers too often and I always get a queezy feeling if I have to depend on one.

the pix I posted is suggesting a fast charger in DuPont. Granted, not the ideal location but the more the merrier. I do agree that a city the size of Tacoma without a single fast charger is puzzling

Washington state seriously need to add more AV chargers and more stalls at their existing locations. I just finished a trip from Seattle to Vancouver, WA and at two AV DCQC locations (Centralia and Ridgefield) I had to wait in line to get a charge, both locations at one time had four cars waiting for the DCQC. The silver lining is that I've gotten to meeting my fellow EV lovers.

hmmwv said:
Washington state seriously need to add more AV chargers and more stalls at their existing locations. I just finished a trip from Seattle to Vancouver, WA and at two AV DCQC locations (Centralia and Ridgefield) I had to wait in line to get a charge, both locations at one time had four cars waiting for the DCQC. The silver lining is that I've gotten to meeting my fellow EV lovers.

ya, our EV support is lacking. We are really pathetic but then again, we still among the leaders for public charging and THAT is truly sad

Back