So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNAinaGoodWay said:
ClevelandDiver said:
I live in Cleveland Ohio and I leased a 2015 S in November of 2014. Have had mostly cold to really cold weather ever since. Driving between 60 - 65 mph on 45 mile roundtrip commute I typically use 80-85% of the battery with temperatures around 10 - 25 degrees. I use the heat very sparingly on the outbound trip, and indulge a little more on the return trip if enough charge is left. The irony being that the colder it is outside, the less I get to use the heater.

I usually drive 20-35 miles a day with a mix of city and highway, but Mondays and Fridays I have to drive to the office, all highway 22.5 miles one way. The weather has been consistently colder on those days, so I drive bundled up and thankful for seat and steering wheel heaters!

Summary: Typical experience has been 45 miles with about 18% battery remaining in cold weather with very sparing use of heater. So if 45 miles consumes 82% of the battery, that translates to about 55 miles max highway range in single digits temps with no heater for a 2015. Warm weather? I'll get back to you after things thaw out here......

Sounds normal. 55 highway miles in this weather is pretty good with the S heater, used sparingly. I assume you're not driving more than 60-65? Have you found places to charge on http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Yep, 60-65 mph if I want to make the roundtrip all highway. I was running late one day doing 70mph+ and used up over 50% outbound. Side streets and 35 was my only way home.... Plugshare and other charging stations are virtually nonexistent in Cleveland. Even if there was one along my route to work, the 3.3kw charger would take over an hour to give me any kind of range cushion. I typically plan my drives like cave dives, using the rule of thirds.

Fortunately the ICE 3/4 ton van I use for scuba diving has MASSIVE range with a 40 gallon fuel tank, so I can use it if I have to go more than 25 miles from home. Even at the dismal 13-14 mpg I get at 70mph, I still can travel for 7 hours/500+ miles without stopping.

2011 Leaf, 27005 miles.

Drove 55.8 miles on a charge, had 10 miles (2 bars) remaining. Trip average 4.7 miles/kWh.

Outside air temp 72-75 degrees. Did not need heat or A/C. Approximately 42 of these miles were on freeway at 62 MPH, the rest were on surface streets. I started with a 100% charge and returned to the same place I started. Note that I only have 10 bars of capacity on my pack.

Car: 2013 LEAF SL
Current mileage: 37,500 (approx)
Daily commute M-F: 80miles
Current bars: 12 (charge to 100% every night on my L2 in the driveway)

Outbound in spring, summer, and fall I get to work with 55-60% remaining (back home with 10-13%). In the winter I get there with 48-52% (back home with "---" - 8%). Year round I can drive the full 80miles if I drive really conservatively (slow).

If it's raining or the road is really wet I lose about 5-8% of my battery. Therefore I usually stop to charge on the way home on those days.

2012 SL w/ 60,500 miles

Last week I had 3 bars left in the morning when I finished my morning commute of 35 miles (dropping off 3 kids to school and going to work)

Full charge gets me about 210 gids in the morning, preheat car, use some heat, but don't blast it (it was 12 deg outside), 20 miles at 55mph, 15 miles at 40 mph.

Please God! Send spring!!!

Hi,
recently ive become a second owner of 2011 leaf with 53k kms on the clock,
i'm new to EV and have no one to ask a question, so please do not judge too hard if there some thing stupid i ask.
i live in Ireland and temperature here currently between 0 and 8 Celsius
MILAGE: found that it makes almost no difference in mileage whether heater is on or not or eco mode is on or not.
if i do a single run on a 100% charge with heater off and eco mode on - i get approx 62kms (40miles) to charge light (1,5 bars left). with heater on in D mode - approx 55kms (35miles)
so i thought it is a bit low and i started taking measurements.
i run car flat to zero bars and --- estimated miles then charged and it took 15.5kwh from the wall.
then number of times i charged it to 80% and drove to 2 bars with no charge light, it took 10.4 - 11.8kwh from the wall.
last time i also charged to 80% and during two days drove 19kms (12miles) untill i reached 3 bars - four short trips with heater in D mode - outside temperature - +11c when charged +5 -0 when discharged (driving).
is it normal range or do i have a faulty battery?
i also got leaf spy to check the battery - got plenty of red bars constantly on some times almost all red bars when driving - could it be a problem?
one other this is that even once battery is almost empty i do not get all regeneration bars available.
Please advise on what to do,
Thanks
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/2ii1ofwq0mlmauh/AADQmAVjTTmLmg9sVRbjEUU3a/0
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/2ii1ofwq0mlmauh/AABw4MF5jwVMU24KXK0KqsYna/3
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/2ii1ofwq0mlmauh/AADCOEp8BG2Mz0wnJrm2lQ2Ca/4

Yep, all that's normal for really cold weather.
Slow down, drive in Eco, cycle heat on & off to keep your windshield clear.
Range will more than double when you get to 70° f

Hang in there

Quick range report...
I normally stop in the middle of my drive to/from work to charge (long commute, still getting used to range), but decided to head straight in to work this morning.
Turns out it was a bad choice, as I hit 21 degree temps (averaged closer to 28 for the drive), but I stuck it out. ;-)

I used Leaf Spy.
95% SoC to start my trip.
When I pulled in (almost exactly 60 miles), I was just under 20%.
That's mostly highway driving, although at that time of the morning I was able to keep it close to 55/56.

Now, that was with a few bursts of the CC system to defrost on the first half of the drive.
Got my "Low Battery Warning" just near the end.

So I probably could have thrown in some more heat here and there.
I do park in the garage at home, so it was warmer to start. But I didn't pre-heat (Still L1 chargning at home).

I drove all the way home yesterday, but I had forgotten to charge my phone that I use for Leaf Spy, so not sure how I did percentwise.
It was a faster drive (more traffic; people behind me, so closer to 58ish on the highway), but warmer weather. ;-)
I think I pulled in to Lincoln City more than a bit over 20% (no low battery warning).

I'm getting a L2 charger plug installed Monday, so I'll be able to do some pre-heat tests (I only have a 3.3kw Leaf, but should still allow preheating and saving most of my battery..

I actually kind of like the normal quick stop in the middle. 15 minute quick charge (with heat going) and get a cup of hot chocolate. ;-)

---

OK, I just got home.
Started at 90% SoC (Blink Level 2 near my work)
Got home just under 25%.
So 65% used heading home. 65ish mph again (maybe a bit more 68's with some cars behind me for a bit, but not bad). No CC.

desiv

@desiv:

I also have a 12 Leaf with the 3.3 kW charger.

Long ago, I quit using the preheat function (even with it plugged into my L2 charger), because the heater can use up to 5 kW. This means you end up with a warm interior, but the battery is less filled than when you began because the charger can't keep up.

This happens even though I set the priority to charging rather than climate control.

Also, the interior climate control just seems to run away if running in preheat mode. In the winter, I've kept mine set at 62 F, but in preheat mode I'll get in and it's like a sauna.

My car lives in the garage overnight, so I just get in and drive off, and the climate control works fine.

When I complained to the dealer about my range issues, they suggested preheating. When I explained that in the older Leafs this actually depletes the battery, they didn't seem to understand, and just shrugged their shoulders.

gslippy said:
Long ago, I quit using the preheat function (even with it plugged into my L2 charger), because the heater can use up to 5 kW. This means you end up with a warm interior, but the battery is less filled than when you began because the charger can't keep up..
Will be interesting to test.
I saw/read (can't remember if it was a video or webpage and can't find it again now of course) someone who did some testing and I believe he even graphed it with his Leaf and 3.3kW charger.
While it did peak over 5 at time, I believe (man, I wish I had bookmarked that) he saw that if he let it preheat for a full 30 minutes(I think), it would drop back under 3.3 and top the battery back off....

Less that that tho, and he did lose battery....

I'll see if I can find it again..

desiv
(Although as long as it doesn't put me out of range, it might be worth a bit of a hit to the battery)

Too many variables!! ;-)
Today I head in to work straight thru (again, almost exactly 60 miles).
Cold, but not freezing (30-34 ish). Use the defrost a few times.

Leave with 96%, get in just as the LBW is coming on again.
So pretty much the same as the other days heading in.
It's really early, so I can go 55-ish mostly.

No surprises..

On the way home tho, more traffic today (people heading to the coast for the weekend).
Some (fair amount) of the highway is 1 lane, so I speed up.
I'm doing 58-60 with times at 62/63..
A faster drive home.

Usually to home is better than to work, but this time, as I pull in, it's 29%. When i started, it was 93%.

So, I think that's my best range so far, and I was driving faster than usual..
Yes, better than to work, which I expected, but better than yesterday to home which was slower..

Go figure.. ;-)
(It was warmer of course, on the way home. Not sure if it was any warmer than yesterday..)

desiv

Temp makes a big difference. Also, I live in Tennessee & when I go to Nashville I get a lot farther before charging than I do on the return trip. Did a little research and realized that my home is at a higher elevation, so I'm going down hill leaving and up hill on my return trip. It makes a bigger difference than I would have expected.

range test tonight. 61* outside temp charged 80% freeway 63mph avg 4.6 only got 38miles driven till warning low battery. Hmmmmm i am so disappointed

flipnotize21 said:
range test tonight. 61* outside temp charged 80% freeway 63mph avg 4.6 only got 38miles driven till warning low battery. Hmmmmm i am so disappointed
That sounds about right for a 10-bar LEAF. 100% charge should get you right around 50 miles to LBW.

drees said:
flipnotize21 said:
That sounds about right for a 10-bar LEAF. 100% charge should get you right around 50 miles to LBW.

And reduce your cruising speed to about 50 mph and your range should exceed 60 miles to LBW,

desiv said:
gslippy said:
Long ago, I quit using the preheat function (even with it plugged into my L2 charger), because the heater can use up to 5 kW. This means you end up with a warm interior, but the battery is less filled than when you began because the charger can't keep up..
Will be interesting to test.
I saw/read (can't remember if it was a video or webpage and can't find it again now of course) someone who did some testing and I believe he even graphed it with his Leaf and 3.3kW charger.
While it did peak over 5 at time, I believe (man, I wish I had bookmarked that) he saw that if he let it preheat for a full 30 minutes(I think), it would drop back under 3.3 and top the battery back off....

Less that that tho, and he did lose battery....

I'll see if I can find it again..

desiv
(Although as long as it doesn't put me out of range, it might be worth a bit of a hit to the battery)

I have a 2015 S and although I thought the new ones preheat from the plug and not the battery, I noticed that when I got into my toasty warm Leaf this morning, my battery was only at 97%, despite being plugged in all night (level 1).

That said, I have noticed my morning charge normally varies anywhere from 98 to 100, so it could just be normal variance. (Only had it a week so still learning).

Back