If you are going to visit Victoria, BC, and Vancouver Island

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about a trip up to BC, maybe even Vancouver Island. What charging systems are the most prevalent? I have cards from Blink, ChargePoint, and Aerovironment. What others should I get before trying a trip into your area?

Hi, and YES, you will find that there are sufficient charging stations for any EV with level 2. As well, in several communities there are the hi-Speed chargers.
As an example, I live in Saanich, BC (look up Saanich, and Victoria on Google maps). I can easily go up to Campbell River (north of that charging stations are a little sparse, as well as Gold River etc.)

But, how do I know this? If you haven't yet downloaded plugshare.com (and the appropriate app for your cellphone is an asset), do so, as you can then plan your routes using the available stations (and believe me, here in BC, the probability of a public charging station -- most are free charging -- being where you need it is in the high probability range; but if you were thinking of going further north, you might have some challenges).

I would suggest that you also look at the various charging stations (on plugshare) and look at the company which provides the equipment. You already have one, ChargePoint, but you might want to have a couple of other 'fobs'. Contact the company, and as I recall from my experience, there was no cost. They mail an appropriate fob to you.

I also note that most charging stations I have encountered have a telephone number to contact to activate the station.

If you are coming to Victoria, let me know.

Terrance

Reddy said:
What charging systems are the most prevalent? I have cards from Blink, ChargePoint, and Aerovironment. What others should I get before trying a trip into your area?
Chargepoint and Ver-network on the east side, Greenlots for CHAdeMO( which I have not used, and some Sun country( also I have not used). http://www.reseauver.com/index.en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.chargepoint.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://greenlots.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; https://suncountryhighway.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Try the L2 at Beban Park in Nanaimo , it's free, no card and you can play golf or swim while taking in a few kwh's.

Thanks for the info. As is often the case, I didn't see pricing. Are most of these priced by the hour or KWh? $1-$2 per hour? Monthly fees? I used Aerovironment ($20/mo) for one month but then cancelled after the first month. If I make it over the BC I'll need to reactivate to use the AV system from Wenatchee to Vancouver.

Every public charger that I have used on Vancouver island has had a $0.00/kWh charge -- ie. FREE.

The CHAdeMO unit at the conference centre does have a parking charge -- a whopping $0.75 for an hour to visit a picturesque street and shops.

BUT, you should get fobs for those companies, and establish an account -- some ask for a deposit; others not, but I don't mind having a deposit, should I encounter a paying machine.

Part of the reason that it is free around here is the BC Hydro and Municipal Governments are trying to establish a sufficient infrastructure to attract green commuting.

Thanks for all the replies up thread. This summer I've got some time off and I'm seriously considering a trip to Nanaimo, perhaps including a trip to Tofino and/or a multi-day run up to Port Hardy depending on available time. I'm looking at overnights in Nanaimo and perhaps Telegraph Cove.

So, a couple more questions for folks. Thanks in advance for your help:

1) Which ferry, Tsawwassen or Anacortes/San Juans? I've read recommendations for both. I think the ferry through the San Juan's will be more interesting. Unfortunately, driving from Sydney to Nanaimo will include more traffic, so less interesting and more hassle. The big unknown for me is the border crossing. My last experience at Blaine was 4+ hr which I don't want to repeat. I'm not familiar with the Tsawwassen ferry, but there are several. Will reservations be required like Anacortes? How to predict drive/border time if making a reservation? I'm not familiar with the Sydney/Anacortes border crossing (on the boat, at the dock, hours or minutes?). Unfortunately, this trip would be a SUNDAY in late AUGUST. I can't think of a worse time to attempt a border crossing. Any thoughts/experience on either direction? I'm leaning toward Anacortes with a reservation just because I can better predict arrival time, although it will mean more traffic from Sydney to Nanaimo.

2) Reliability of L2 on the NE coast, especially north of Courtenay. Plugshare reports are spotty due to the lower number of drivers. I'm used to this, but thought I'd ask if anyone has newer intel. Again, I'll likely spend several nights and will look for L2 overnight or at least L1. Will this area require reservations in late August mid-week or is drop-in possible?

3) Camping with 14-50 charging? I can't seem to locate campgrounds with electricity in this area. Perhaps commercial RV parks, but I haven't looked for those yet. I prefer wilderness camping over car camping, but with an EV I'm willing to accept the extra noise, but only in return for overnight charging.

Reddy said:
Thanks for all the replies up thread. This summer I've got some time off and I'm seriously considering a trip to Nanaimo, perhaps including a trip to Tofino and/or a multi-day run up to Port Hardy depending on available time. I'm looking at overnights in Nanaimo and perhaps Telegraph Cove.

So, a couple more questions for folks. Thanks in advance for your help:

1) Which ferry, Tsawwassen or Anacortes/San Juans? I've read recommendations for both. I think the ferry through the San Juan's will be more interesting. Unfortunately, driving from Sydney to Nanaimo will include more traffic, so less interesting and more hassle. The big unknown for me is the border crossing. My last experience at Blaine was 4+ hr which I don't want to repeat. I'm not familiar with the Tsawwassen ferry, but there are several. Will reservations be required like Anacortes? How to predict drive/border time if making a reservation? I'm not familiar with the Sydney/Anacortes border crossing (on the boat, at the dock, hours or minutes?). Unfortunately, this trip would be a SUNDAY in late AUGUST. I can't think of a worse time to attempt a border crossing. Any thoughts/experience on either direction? I'm leaning toward Anacortes with a reservation just because I can better predict arrival time, although it will mean more traffic from Sydney to Nanaimo.

2) Reliability of L2 on the NE coast, especially north of Courtenay. Plugshare reports are spotty due to the lower number of drivers. I'm used to this, but thought I'd ask if anyone has newer intel. Again, I'll likely spend several nights and will look for L2 overnight or at least L1. Will this area require reservations in late August mid-week or is drop-in possible?

3) Camping with 14-50 charging? I can't seem to locate campgrounds with electricity in this area. Perhaps commercial RV parks, but I haven't looked for those yet. I prefer wilderness camping over car camping, but with an EV I'm willing to accept the extra noise, but only in return for overnight charging.
Tsawwasssen to Duke point is best, more ferry time but avoid Vancouver and Victoria (Including the Malahat) traffic altogether. NE Island is pretty sketchy for charging north of and including the Comox Valley. Plugshare and research campgrounds reserve if possible; http://vancouverisland.com/things-to-do-and-see/parks-and-trails/campground-reservations/ . Toffino run: Nanaimo to Port Alberni ( you can top off in Quallicum) no problem, but the big one is Port to Toffino, I have not attempted it but it can be done, at least with a new 2015, talked to a new local owner had 7% left he's not on Leaf Spy yet. Others have done it too( also on Plugshare). Pack these items: Chargepoint, Ver-network (add energy), Suncountry and Greenlots for quickcharging plus a long extension cord.

Excellent! Thanks. Lots of great info. I'm leaning towards skipping a run to Port Hardy, it's just too many days/nights. Alas, all of the RV parks that I've looked at have 30 amp (120V), so really only useful for overnight or multi-night stays.

Back