Problems Charging at Nissan Dealerships?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So as a LEAF virgin, I'm very interested in the ability to charge at the dealership, especially once all the promised DC chargers go in.

Having read this thread it seems like maybe the experience at the dealerships improved from Feb to today? Not so many complaints. Is that true?

When I was test driving the LEAF the salesperson never offered the Nissan network as a selling point and when I asked about it, he said each dealership is makes their own rules. Although not entirely encouraging, it seems like Nissan would not be investing in all these DC chargers if they did not intend for EV owners to use them.

True, but I don't think they were planning on people using them on a regular basis, if that is what you are thinking of. With one station for 100 cars (based on their predicted future sales), I assume they are for occasional use.

Ray

mhkp said:
When I was test driving the LEAF the salesperson never offered the Nissan network as a selling point and when I asked about it, he said each dealership is makes their own rules. Although not entirely encouraging, it seems like Nissan would not be investing in all these DC chargers if they did not intend for EV owners to use them.

Yes, each dealer is independent. Just like in real estate, location, location, location. Each dealer is going to be different. All the ones around here that I've dealt with were encouraging. I think in part because it might help sell cars and also because it happens so infrequently.

tethior said:
So the next time I needed to charge I went to a different local dealer. They were GRACIOUS enough to charge me a $25 fee to charge my car there. I was NOT pleased. That dealership is Hilltop Nissan in East Hanover NJ on Rt 10 West.

My lesson here. (1) call first because you cannot rely up on it. (2) in order to create the change we want we need to be vocal - polite - but vocal.

Just to follow up on the above. Someone said I didnt say the dealerships ... please read above where I say "That dealership is Hilltop Nissan in East Hanover NJ on Rt 10 West."

I have had several exchanges with Corporate Nissan - they are very "understanding" and trying to develop (blah blah blah) but dealerships (for now) are free to implement as they please. The dealership has never responded to any letter, call or otherwise.

That said I have had two opportunities to charge away from home and I have planned in advance with the dealerships and had no charges and no issues. The folks at Pine Belt Nissan were especially friendly and helpful (80 miles from home). Note that they "lock up" the chargers to prevent freeloading from non-Nissan electrics (apparently that is an issue for them). So Business Hours only there (for now, since they are near my folks we hope to visit more often in the leaf). Not all dealerships I have called have Level 2 but they have 110V outlets to let you plug in your Nissan provided EVSE (why bother).

The dealership my car is being serviced at today has no charging station (they did warn me of this) and no certified Leaf Tech, They are borrowing one from another location. I wasn't informed of the latter when I made the appointment. Upstate NY may as well be Mississippi when it comes to EVs...

YES!
I just picked up a new 2014 Leaf at my local dealer, and every time I visit to charge my Leaf - only 1 out of 3 Charge stations is (somewhat) working.
I took noticed of this when we first looked at the Leaf. The two Level 2 stations didn't work, (and b/t/w STILL aren't working) and when the Level 3 station isn't displaying "error", it will only charge until about 60% before it cuts-out (dealer says it "overheats"). Still whenever I go into the dealer to report the problem, they act like they could care less!
Now everything I read about "Corporate Nissan" is very positive concerning EV development and charge stations - their installing more & more everyday.
However, if you take a look via "PlugShare" at comments made by persons attempting to charge at Nissan dealerships -vs- Nissan installed chargers at other locations. Looks to me like Leaf owners are having less trouble charging at Nissan Level 2/3 stations installed in the other locations (like parking garages, universities, etc.) then they do at the Nissan dealership itself -where if the station often is not functioning -for months -and don't count on it to be available anytime soon. Some Leaf "PlugShare" users commented on one dealer in the Seattle area that will only allow THEIR Leaf customers to charge -which sure seems contradictory to everything Corporate Nissan is trying to accomplish in it's quest to build a long range network of Level 3 charge stations. 
So as I write this, I can't help but think "what IS Nissan trying to accomplish"? Does Nissan envision it's future as an all electric vehicle manufacturer (like Tesla)? And at what cost to their own dealerships? I also couldn't help remembering what my Leaf dealership said during the financial negotiations that took place. I kept being reminded by my dealer that they, (like most -if not all Nissan dealerships) are taking a loss on each car they sell. In my case I think it was around $1600. So from a business prospective you can't help wondering "what's in it for the dealer?" Seems like their losing money all-around on each Leaf sale. 
First they lose money on the sale, and then again in their Service Department, as electric vehicles simply are not going to require as much maintenance as the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles, they are also selling. And now on top of that, they are now being forced by Nissan to provide energy for the car they just loss money on!
It's going to be very interesting to see over the next couple of years, how this all plays out for Nissan and it's dealerships. In the mean time, if they are going to have any chance in holding on their record sales numbers for Leaf's - they better get the dealerships to service and maintain their Level 2/3 charge stations in good working order, (even if they have to subsidize it themselves) or risk losing loyal Leaf customers to Tesla in 2017 when the Model 3 arrives.

First, I don't believe that a dealer will sell a car at a loss. I know in my case I bought with the VPP program, and incentives that Nissan provided. Those are not paid by the dealer, they are paid by Corporate. Now who knows if Nissan Corporate is making money. But I can't see them selling as many as they do and not make money. Of course they can leverage the profits from their other sales.

Back to the thread - we have 5 dealers in our area and i have charged at 2 of them and they have working chargers and have no problem with anyone stopping in to charge. I have been invited to come in and partake of the refreshments in the service area lounge as well. In one case I know the dealer has allowed a Tesla to charge. It just makes business sense to treat possible car buyers with respect and kindness. I don't understand when they don't. An interesting anecdote is someone will tell an average of 100 people of a bad experience, and 10 people of a good experience. I know for me that is true. I remember ALL my bad car dealer experiences!

bbrowncods said:
First, I don't believe that a dealer will sell a car at a loss.
They might if a vehicle has been sitting on the lot too long, as dealers typically finance their lot inventory. And they probably don't earn as much from selling LEAFs. However, I still feel that most of the "selling at a loss" talk is just a sales tactic.

I also agree that in the long run, EVs will force a change in dealer business models. They'll have to kiss much of their service revenue goodbye. (For that matter, incremental improvements in ICE reliability have probably impacted service revenue quite significantly over time.) Dealers can choose to either fight the future, or evolve and support the rollout of EVs. Those that change with the times should at least be able to preserve their sales revenue and some portion of their service revenue. Keeping EVSEs available can be costly, but it's an investment in the future.

Ran into problems at West County Nissan in Ballwin, MO (St. Louis County). Was running errands in the area and vehicle was down to 5 miles and a single bar. Arrived at dealership, both Level 2 space and DC Fast Charge/Level 3 were occupied with dealership (gas) vehicles, that obviously were not actively charging. Went inside to request vehicle(s) get moved. Receptionist made multiple pages to porter with no response. Manager on duty later appears at desk, yells and raises voice at me saying "this is a business, we are here to sell cars". Salesman present asked if I purchased my vehicle here, my response was "it doesn't matter". Eventually one of their cars was moved and I was able to charge. They acted like they were doing me a favor allowing me to charge here. I rarely avail myself to the charging stations at dealerships but its nice to have in situations such as this. Nissan markets this benefit, I get that each dealership is independently owned and operated but this whole experience really upset me. Surely Nissan corporate can work to ensure all LEAF owners/lessees receive access to the charging station. I ultimately was able to charge and made it home.

abasile said:
I also agree that in the long run, EVs will force a change in dealer business models. They'll have to kiss much of their service revenue goodbye. (For that matter, incremental improvements in ICE reliability have probably impacted service revenue quite significantly over time.) Dealers can choose to either fight the future, or evolve and support the rollout of EVs. Those that change with the times should at least be able to preserve their sales revenue and some portion of their service revenue. Keeping EVSEs available can be costly, but it's an investment in the future.

If they're worried, all they have to do is make the feeblest effort towards producing & selling software upgrades. Plenty of repeat business, zero inventory cost, zero grease.

Ran into issues with Athens Nissan in GA. The dealership told me that people that didn't buy their Leaf there are not welcome there. Even when it shows up on their nissan leaf app as free and available 24/7 It shouldn't be advertised as such if it's on their Nissian LEAF EZ-Charge app or car wings if this is their policy. They should post a sign or something if that's the case..

Bangaroo said:
Ran into issues with Athens Nissan in GA. The dealership told me that people that didn't buy their Leaf there are not welcome there. Even when it shows up on their nissan leaf app as free and available 24/7 It shouldn't be advertised as such if it's on their Nissian LEAF EZ-Charge app or car wings if this is their policy. They should post a sign or something if that's the case..

There is a dealership here in North Salt Lake that does the same, according to Plugshare app comments.

Jerry Seiner Nissan
955 N 400 E
North Salt Lake, UT 84054

I would advice you to update the plugshare app for this site with your comment. After reading the comments on my local dealership in North Salt Lake, Utah, I decided not to buy my new LEAF from them. I went to a dealership some 20 miles away south of Salt Lake City so I could use them to charge should I be coming home one day from a trip and could honestly say (not that dealerships are good at honesty) that I bought it from them.

I find it hard to understand why they do this to you. People buy cars all the time, usually between 3-7 years and when they have a bad experience they tell their friends and update social media very quickly. They are too short sighted to understand that turning people away ensures that they will never sell a car to that person again in the future even though it is obvious that they purchased a Nissan and would probably be on their shopping list. I think it is because salespeople move around all the time and do not sew seeds for future harvest, they are all about the sale NOW, TODAY.

Bangaroo said:
Ran into issues with Athens Nissan in GA. The dealership told me that people that didn't buy their Leaf there are not welcome there.

Yes, another wonderful example that, although Nissan may be committed to EV's long term, many of their dealerships are not. I would never have believed how little control corporate Nissan has over its dealers. :roll: Just one more reason why I'll never be buying another Nissan.

keydiver said:
I would never have believed how little control corporate Nissan has over its dealers. :roll: Just one more reason why I'll never be buying another Nissan.
So, you think other dealerships would be different?
I think it's much more likely this is an issue with the dealership model and not a particular manufacturer.
(Of course, not counting Tesla, who doesn't use dealerships)

What surprises me is that the dealerships don't get the concept of treating non-customers well to make them future customers.

That's why I go to Les Schwab here in the PNW for my tires.
When I hadn't been in Oregon for too long and had some tire trouble, I went to a Les Schwab.
I hadn't bought my tires there. They fixed my flat and wouldn't take any money for it...
I tried.. ;-) I reminded them that I didn't buy those tires from them. They said, maybe you will the next time..

And I did..

Not saying they are the only shop to do that, but they did and as a customer, I liked that..

Not sure how car dealerships, who are ALL about marketing, don't get that...
But, in general, they don't...

It's too bad tho, that Nissan didn't realize that many of their dealers don't get it..

desiv

keydiver said:
Yes, another wonderful example that, although Nissan may be committed to EV's long term, many of their dealerships are not. I would never have believed how little control corporate Nissan has over its dealers. :roll: Just one more reason why I'll never be buying another Nissan.

It's not just Nissan. Dealers are independent franchises and manufacturers can only exert so much control over them. I'm sure this happens with dealers of other brands' EV's as well, with the notable exception of Tesla. You see it more with Nissan because they have sold far more EV's than anybody else.

Tesla's charging model works well because they own the charging stations and the dealers.

Happening here too. Definitely a downside to the dealership paradigm. Their OEMs are beginning to support QC networks outside of dealerships, but it's nothing like Tesla's model, and will be a big factor in driving EV customers to Tesla in the future.

desiv said:
keydiver said:
I would never have believed how little control corporate Nissan has over its dealers. :roll: Just one more reason why I'll never be buying another Nissan.
So, you think other dealerships would be different?
I think it's much more likely this is an issue with the dealership model and not a particular manufacturer.
(Of course, not counting Tesla, who doesn't use dealerships)

What surprises me is that the dealerships don't get the concept of treating non-customers well to make them future customers.

U.S. dealerships' universe have a 1-month event horizon that tends to be brutally dictated by how they're dealt with by the manufacturers. And then the manufacturers throw their hands up and claim they wish the dealerships would behave differently.

People paying $25,000 for a car don't get driven to buying an $85,000 car or a $60,000 car, if and when it ever appears. As for a Tesla $30,000 car, I will believe it when Salma Hayek tosses her billionaire spouse for me. Nissan has competition, but not from Tesla.

Back