Problems Charging at Nissan Dealerships?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There IS one very powerful and completely legal tool that manufactures DO have over dealers: Allotments!
Lexus used this very effectively to discourage their dealers from selling certain high demand vehicles for over MSRP. It worked!

RonDawg said:
It's not just Nissan. Dealers are independent franchises and manufacturers can only exert so much control over them.

mjblazin said:
People paying $25,000 for a car don't get driven to buying an $85,000 car or a $60,000 car, if and when it ever appears. As for a Tesla $30,000 car, I will believe it when Salma Hayek tosses her billionaire spouse for me. Nissan has competition, but not from Tesla.

Not yet. But they will.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Not yet. But they will.
Personally, I don't see it..
I think Nissan will still have the Low End of the nicer EV line. I just don't see the Model 3 coming in around Leaf pricing at that time. (Could be wrong, but..)
I see the Model 3 competing with the BMW i3 (next version), Bolt, etc..
And based on Tesla's history with timelines/release dates, I think it's possible/probable that the others will hit the market earlier than the Model 3 will.

But I think Nissan will still be less expensive than those.

I see Nissan's competition as Fiat, Mitsubishi, etc.. Possibly the others (Ford/Honda) if they get serious about EVs.
I could see Kia there. They are kind of in between now, but as battery capacity expands, I think they will fall into the nicer Low End range.

Of course, I didn't think anyone would pay for shareware in the 80's, so I don't take my prognostication too seriously. ;-)

Edit: Good timing. Just saw this:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1097957_will-tesla-model-3-electric-car-hit-2017-production-date" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

desiv

DNAinaGoodWay said:
mjblazin said:
People paying $25,000 for a car don't get driven to buying an $85,000 car or a $60,000 car, if and when it ever appears. As for a Tesla $30,000 car, I will believe it when Salma Hayek tosses her billionaire spouse for me. Nissan has competition, but not from Tesla.

Not yet. But they will.

Then I should not give up on Salma Hayek?

;) No, never give up. Never give up on anything. If you really want it. ;)

A 200 mile LEAF would compete with the Bolt, and whatever other 200 mile EVs are available in a couple years, and all of those may be less expensive than the Model 3. But I think anyone who can, and who has the travel need, will pay a little extra to access the Supercharger network, and maybe an adaptor or two. A bank of 6 or 8 SCs, with 120 kW, vastly out competes single units per location of 20 to 50 kW QCs (often broken, ICE'd, or restricted, like in the OP) when you have a 48 kWh pack. With the bonus of not having to hassle with dealerships! :D

But there's other considerations too. Personally, I hope to have an eNV200 with 200 mile range, and replace my wife's Accord with a Model 3 as she has the larger travel need. I want the cargo space, and will transform it into a camper van when needed.

desiv said:
So, you think other dealerships would be different?
I think it's much more likely this is an issue with the dealership model and not a particular manufacturer.
(Of course, not counting Tesla, who doesn't use dealerships)

I guess what I was trying to say was that my next car, at least at this point, WILL be a Tesla. All of the other manufacturers seem to have a split personality when it comes to EVs. As long as they are still making most of their money from ICE vehicles, EVs, and their owners, are going to continue to be treated like the red headed step child.

People paying $25,000 for a car don't get driven to buying an $85,000 car or a $60,000 car, if and when it ever appears.

Yes, but I paid $42,000 with taxes for my Leaf, and I can certainly afford a $75,000 Tesla. In fact, I almost owned one TWICE. I was ready to plunk down my deposit when they cancelled the 40, and I put down a deposit for a 60D and then they cancelled it too. Maybe the third time will be a charm if I go for a 70D this time. :roll: The only thing holding me back at this time is that I'm going to make Nissan give me a new Lizard battery first. :twisted:

TomT said:
There IS one very powerful and completely legal tool that manufactures DO have over dealers: Allotments!
Lexus used this very effectively to discourage their dealers from selling certain high demand vehicles for over MSRP. It worked!

RonDawg said:
It's not just Nissan. Dealers are independent franchises and manufacturers can only exert so much control over them.

I would not call the Leaf a "high demand" model. Nissan only sold about 30k Leafs during calendar year 2014 (which would include early 2015's). While that's a lot for a pure electric, that's roughly one month's sales of their Altima during 2014.

Now that I think of it, I don't think there's anything at Nissan where demand is far outstripping supply, not even the 370Z or GT-R. I'm constantly getting advertising emails from Nissan dealers about super cheap deals. That tells me that their sales numbers are not where they'd like them to be and have to basically bribe consumers. So Nissan USA telling a dealer they're going to withhold this month's allotment of Altimas and Versas would likely do more harm to themselves in the process.

mjblazin said:

Not sure if you were responding to my post, but as far as the dealer-less business model I suspect it won't be too terribly long before you'll be seeing it from manufacturers other than just Tesla. Dealerships are an anachronism and their continued parasitic existence is largely a matter of inertia at this point.

DuncanCunningham said:
Bangaroo said:
Ran into issues with Athens Nissan in GA. The dealership told me that people that didn't buy their Leaf there are not welcome there. Even when it shows up on their nissan leaf app as free and available 24/7 It shouldn't be advertised as such if it's on their Nissian LEAF EZ-Charge app or car wings if this is their policy. They should post a sign or something if that's the case..

Nissan of Athens
4735 Atlanta Hwy
Bogart GA, 30622

There is a dealership here in North Salt Lake that does the same, according to Plugshare app comments.

I find it hard to understand why they do this to you. People buy cars all the time, usually between 3-7 years and when they have a bad experience they tell their friends and update social media very quickly. They are too short sighted to understand that turning people away ensures that they will never sell a car to that person again in the future even though it is obvious that they purchased a Nissan and would probably be on their shopping list. I think it is because salespeople move around all the time and do not sew seeds for future harvest, they are all about the sale NOW, TODAY.

Completely agreed!

Update:
Talking with the managers at the dealership and they said there is no written policy on who can use their facility (at least not one they can provide in writing) and that the dealership is private property. Since my plates show that it's from a competing dealership (30miles away and provided over $500 in savings vs this one) the sales rep felt compelled to approach me, no other cars waiting or in need of a charge. It really is such a shame. Contacting corporate to escalate this issue. Has anyone had success in addressing this issue? Maybe it's just the sales teams that doesn't get the bigger picture...

One of the many reasons why I NEVER have any dealer advertising of any type on my cars!

Bangaroo said:
Since my plates show that it's from a competing dealership (30miles away and provided over $500 in savings vs this one)

TomT said:
One of the many reasons why I NEVER have any dealer advertising of any type on my car!

Bangaroo said:
Since my plates show that it's from a competing dealership (30miles away and provided over $500 in savings vs this one)

Just bought the LEAF, can't remove the temp plates just quite yet.

TomT said:
One of the many reasons why I NEVER have any dealer advertising of any type on my car!

I thought I saw a post that suggested you buy a dealer plate cover from each dealer that you think you might need at charge at some later date. Have it in the back of the car with a screwdriver and be ready to swap (or just add) it before rolling into each dealership for a charge. Seems like a good idea to me.

Then you don't need to play the game with a grumpy short sighted sales person who isn't smart enough to realise that they are hurting themselves long term by being a dufus.

I like that idea but it is probably more cost and bother than it is worth...

DuncanCunningham said:
I thought I saw a post that suggested you buy a dealer plate cover from each dealer that you think you might need at charge at some later date. Have it in the back of the car with a screwdriver and be ready to swap (or just add) it before rolling into each dealership for a charge.

TomT said:
I like that idea but it is probably more cost and bother than it is worth...

DuncanCunningham said:
I thought I saw a post that suggested you buy a dealer plate cover from each dealer that you think you might need at charge at some later date. Have it in the back of the car with a screwdriver and be ready to swap (or just add) it before rolling into each dealership for a charge.
I hope I never have to find out. I like charging my car at home.

DuncanCunningham said:
I thought I saw a post that suggested you buy a dealer plate cover from each dealer that you think you might need at charge at some later date. Have it in the back of the car with a screwdriver and be ready to swap (or just add) it before rolling into each dealership for a charge. Seems like a good idea to me.

Then you don't need to play the game with a grumpy short sighted sales person who isn't smart enough to realise that they are hurting themselves long term by being a dufus.

If going through that bother, just put strong magnets on the cover and attach it when needed - no screwdriver required and less wear/tear on the mounting holes. If needed, mount a magnetic plate cover to use as the base and leave it on....

I live in St. Louis and the infrastructure outside of Nissan dealerships is still limited, almost non-existent for quick charge EVSEs. I purchased my car from Bommarito - they let anyone charge 24/7, including non-Nissans. I live near West County Nissan (about whom a compliant was mentioned in this thread in 2013) and they have been 100% awesome about charging there, even after hours. I guess they learned from those early problems. The dealership where I first looked at the Leaf, Lou Fusz Nissan, however, will only let customers charge there for free unlike every other dealership in the entire greater STL area. It's actually the main reason I didn't buy a car from them - because I didn't want to support their selfish behavior in an area that is still struggling to accept EVs. Additionally, it was them who told me that I could charge for free at any dealership in STL (they were assuming I would but from them at the time). I was struggling though because they are the most central dealership in the area and it's close to all of my friends' houses.

So, I emailed Nissan and a nice man named Bryan called me back the next working day. He had called Lou Fusz prior to talking to me and asked them about their policy to charge non-customers $5 for a quick charge. Apparently, they talked at length and Bryan recommended against the policy. He didn't get them to change their minds, but he did get the dealership to add me to the 'customers-only' list that they use in deciding who charges for free. Not that it helps when they are closed and can't swipe their ChargePoint card for me. I told Bryan that it was nice, but that I really was hoping that they would rethink their policies until we get a better infrastructure here. I get stopped all of the time and asked about my Leaf and the EV experience. Every time, I mention how great it is and how they should not buy from Lou Fusz Nissan.

I share this story because Bryan suggested that EV owners call the EV-only Nissan hotline and discuss problems like this with them - 1-877-664-2738. He was great! Also, I didn't like the end result - I wanted all Nissans (or, even better all EVs) to able to have that free quick charge at least until EVs and EVSEs are more common in our area. Maybe if they have to add enough names to 'customer-only' lists like these, they will rethink their policy.

Slow1 said:
If going through that bother, just put strong magnets on the cover and attach it when needed - no screwdriver required and less wear/tear on the mounting holes. If needed, mount a magnetic plate cover to use as the base and leave it on....
What a great idea. I'll look into that.

Back