Register Tire Positions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

userneym

Hello,
Is there a way to register tire position manually, switching front to back? I just rotated the tires, I have just a "Mickey Mouse" 12V compressor and I'm not really keen to go thru the deflating and re-inflating procedure.
Thanks.

No, not unless you purchase a device to do it.
I did some searching a year ago and cheapest I found was over $125.

For me with only having to do it at tire rotation LEAF Spy Pro approach with setting the four tires to specific pressures is OK.
If I was mounting and unmounting snow tires frequently the device might be worth it.
Unfortunate that Nissan's TPMS doesn't include a simple registration procedure using a magnet like some of the other systems.

TimLee said:
No, not unless you purchase a device to do it.
I did some searching a year ago and cheapest I found was over $125.

For me with only having to do it at tire rotation LEAF Spy Pro approach with setting the four tires to specific pressures is OK.
If I was mounting and unmounting snow tires frequently the device might be worth it.
Unfortunate that Nissan's TPMS doesn't include a simple registration procedure using a magnet like some of the other systems.

Thanks Tim. I understand the thing with the tire replacement, like winter tires, where new sensors would have to be registered with the car, but for rotation I thought it's different. Since the sensors are already registered, my guess was it's a simple manual position allocation for front and rear, or maybe a preset for Forward Cross or Front to Rear rotations. Like attaching a different tag to a registered sensor. It would be nice to be done with LeafSpy Pro, maybe Turbo3 can help us.

Only the new 2015 European Leafs have a way to register tires without a tool or using LeafSpy Pro by adjusting tire pressures. It is activated through the dash trip computer.

Yes, it would have been nice if they allowed the tire IDs to be swapped or entered directly but they don't. Or at least it has not been made available to their service people. There are actually hundreds of undocumented commands but it would be a challenge to go through and blindly try to determine what they do and also risky as you might disable some important function without knowing it.

any way to reset how the tires are displayed on leafspy? as the front tires now are still in the rear position as far as leafspy is concerned

jguenst said:
any way to reset how the tires are displayed on leafspy? as the front tires now are still in the rear position as far as leafspy is concerned
I was thinking the same thing last week. That for people that just rotate the wheels it would be much simpler to just let them reassign the position in LeafSpy rather than go through the trouble of the Nissan official registration process. That process is really only needed if you swap wheels with seasonal tires where the Leaf needs to learn the identity of the new TPMS sensors.

Would a simple swap front and back work for everyone or do I need a swap left/right option too?

I have been just rotating them (cross on the way back and straight forward) and never messing with resetting the locations. Does it really matter? I understand looking at them in Leaf Spy will be wrong, but does the car care? If I ever see a low pressure warning I will just find out which it is, but I check them the good old fashion way every two weeks anyway.

Turbo3 said:
jguenst said:
I was thinking the same thing last week. That for people that just rotate the wheels it would be much simpler to just let them reassign the position in LeafSpy rather than go through the trouble of the Nissan official registration process. That process is really only needed if you swap wheels with seasonal tires where the Leaf needs to learn the identity of the new TPMS sensors.

Would a simple swap front and back work for everyone or do I need a swap left/right option too?

I believe simple swap front and back is what's recommended in the manual, so it works for me. Thanks Turbo3!

userneym said:
Turbo3 said:
jguenst said:

I believe simple swap front and back is what's recommended in the manual, so it works for me. Thanks Turbo3!
To handle almost all cases I am thinking of the following three options (checkboxes).

1. Swap front/back
2. Swap new front Left/Right
3. Swap new back Left/Right

By "new" I mean after any front/back change has been made.

People following Nissans recommendation would just alternate checking/unchecking the "Swap front/back" check box.

People doing the cross back straight front would step through four combinations (one per rotation).

First rotation: check "Swap F/B" and "Swap back L/R"
Second rotation: uncheck "Swap F/B" and check "Swap front L/R" and "Swap rear L/R"
Third rotation: check "Swap F/B" and "Swap front L/R" and uncheck "Swap rear L/R"
Fourth rotation: Uncheck all

Unless you have some reason to believe you would have uneven tire ware between left and right tires I would just follow Nissan's recommendation.

Turbo3 said:
To handle almost all cases I am thinking of the following three options (checkboxes).

1. Swap front/back
2. Swap new front Left/Right
3. Swap new back Left/Right

By "new" I mean after any front/back change has been made.

People following Nissans recommendation would just alternate checking/unchecking the "Swap front/back" check box.

People doing the cross back straight front would step through four combinations (one per rotation).

First rotation: check "Swap F/B" and "Swap back L/R"
Second rotation: uncheck "Swap F/B" and check "Swap front L/R" and "Swap rear L/R"
Third rotation: check "Swap F/B" and "Swap front L/R" and uncheck "Swap rear L/R"
Fourth rotation: Uncheck all

Unless you have some reason to believe you would have uneven tire ware between left and right tires I would just follow Nissan's recommendation.

Sounds good. If tires wear uneven better check your car first.

I have staggered wheels. In addition, the fronts are unidirectional.
So having a "swap back left/right" option is perfect for me.
Great plan!
:cool:

Here is the new iOS Tire Pressure Settings panel.

kds1sD.png

Turbo3 said:
Here is the new iOS Tire Pressure Settings panel.

kds1sD.png
I generally like the concept.
But even after reading through this several times and the five steps outlined if crossing, I think there is potential for a lot of confusion.
Really need graphic show in which sensors are being relocated to a new position.

I have added letters A B C D to show how the remapping affects the location. The letters are in clockwise order starting with the front left tire per how the Leaf orders the tire locations.

When the tires are properly registered this is location of the TPMS sensors. A new Leaf that has never had the tires rotated should follow this order.
WaW8bn.png

This would be the correct order after doing a straight front to back rotation
9j89Q5.png

If you do the cross back straight forward method of rotation things get complicated fast. This would be the correct order starting from the tires being correctly registered. If you are going to use this rotation pattern it would be best to label each tire with a letter (A B C D) based on their registered order. Once labeled you can do your rotation then make the letter order here match the order of the wheels on the Leaf.
kCdMzX.png

The problem with the "tire letter" method is that it requires the user to remember the original position.
Instead of doing that, can you show four tires (really, just black rectangles), and then add arrows showing how each one moves when the different selections are made?

Turbo3 said:
I have added letters A B C D to show how the remapping affects the location. The letters are in clockwise order starting with the front left tire per how the Leaf orders the tire locations....

Excellent idea, nice graphics, I like it! I hope you upgrade the android too.

garsh said:
The problem with the "tire letter" method is that it requires the user to remember the original position.
Instead of doing that, can you show four tires (really, just black rectangles), and then add arrows showing how each one moves when the different selections are made?
Here it is with arrows. Keep in mind you still need to keep track of where the tires where originally registered to know how to do the selection of swapping so the letters are still required to be displayed.

Initial Nissan recommended swap of front to back. The next time you rotate you would unselect front/back swap as the tires would then be back in their original registered positions.
KmKKF9.png

Initial swap front/back and swap rear.
NSUqPm.png

Back