New/Replacement Battery Availability in Canada?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedMapleLeaf

I've been repeatedly trying for several months now to get some information from my local Nissan dealer and from Nissan Canada on the availability of a replacement traction battery pack for my MY11 Leaf. I've been doing this since the news of the $5500 pack was announced in the US. I've not been able to get any response; not even a "we can't say anything right now". The parts manager keeps saying he'll work on it (restarted that several times now) and I get no reply at all from Nissan Canada.

Has anyone been able to get a price on purchasing the new pack and the retrofit kit for the MY11/12 Leaf in Canada?

I need to make a decision at some point in the next couple of years about whether I can replace the battery or sell the car. I fear the car will not make it to work as the battery degrades further. I have lost 2 bars and have about 75% of the pack capacity remaining. In the dead of winter in Toronto, with a stiff headwind and some heat to keep the windshield clear, I'm getting very close to not being able to do a 60 km commute at 95 km/h highway.

What happens when your dealer enters all the part numbers for the Lizard upgrade kit? The part numbers and quantities were recently posted in a separate thread.

The first time I spoke with the parts guy I just supplied the Battery Assembly P/N (295B0-3NF9E) which he couldn't seem to find on their system. I then sent several emails to the parts manager (a fairly useful chap otherwise) with the 3NF9E number. No luck/response. I've seen him a few times since in person, and he promises to find something out. Haven't heard anything -- this has been going on for over half a year now. :(

I've just found this list on the Leaf Wiki, and I'm going to try again with these. (I cannot for the life of me find the part numbers on the forum.)

From the Wiki:
HV Battery Replacement Parts List
These are the parts used when replacing a HV battery pack on a 2011-2012 LEAF with a 2015 "Lizard" battery pack.

1 748N2-3NF0A COVER BATTERY
1 748N3-3NF0A COVER BATTERY
1 295B0-3NF9E BATTERY ASMY
2 749D0-3NF1A BRKT ASMY-BAT M
4 01125-N0111 BOLT
1 24220-7S020 CLIP
1 297C1-3NF0A SWITCH-DISCONNE

RedMapleLeaf said:
The first time I spoke with the parts guy I just supplied the Battery Assembly P/N (295B0-3NF9E) which he couldn't seem to find on their system.

From the Wiki:
HV Battery Replacement Parts List
These are the parts used when replacing a HV battery pack on a 2011-2012 LEAF with a 2015 "Lizard" battery pack.

1 748N2-3NF0A COVER BATTERY
1 748N3-3NF0A COVER BATTERY
1 295B0-3NF9E BATTERY ASMY
2 749D0-3NF1A BRKT ASMY-BAT M
4 01125-N0111 BOLT
1 24220-7S020 CLIP
1 297C1-3NF0A SWITCH-DISCONNE

There also appears to be a D revision of the battery floating around, so 295B0-3NF9D. It was supplied instead of the E revision in at least one warranty replacement that we know of (JupiterLEAF).

I know this is a bit of an older thread. Just wondering if anyone, especially in Canada, have replaced their main traction battery? If so, any idea of potential cost?

Yes, this is an older thread but it is worth asking again if anyone has any practical experience with a main battery replacement (or upgrade) in Canada.

Bonus points if you are located in the Winnipeg area and if you are dealing with a 2012 Leaf SL. BTW, it is a US import which seems to complicate things even more.

By chance I came across this SB <https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10058818-5991.pdf> https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10058818-5991.pdf which seems to list all the part numbers and "how to do it".

The "High Voltage Battery Pack" p/n 295B0-3NF9D for a 2012 seems to show up for $5700 USD or so on the US parts sites. One would suspect around $10,000 CDN with installation these days. That's is getting close to the value of the car as it stands.

For info, I am a bit over 100,000 km total mileage with a SOH of 77% on my car. It charges to about 210-213 GIDS on a good day, down to about 175-178 on a nasty cold day in a MB winter.

Jim

Silver 2012 SL
Stony Mountain, MB

stonymtnleaf said:
Yes, this is an older thread but it is worth asking again if anyone has any practical experience with a main battery replacement (or upgrade) in Canada.

Bonus points if you are located in the Winnipeg area and if you are dealing with a 2012 Leaf SL. BTW, it is a US import which seems to complicate things even more.

By chance I came across this SB <https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10058818-5991.pdf> https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10058818-5991.pdf which seems to list all the part numbers and "how to do it".

The "High Voltage Battery Pack" p/n 295B0-3NF9D for a 2012 seems to show up for $5700 USD or so on the US parts sites. One would suspect around $10,000 CDN with installation these days. That's is getting close to the value of the car as it stands.

For info, I am a bit over 100,000 km total mileage with a SOH of 77% on my car. It charges to about 210-213 GIDS on a good day, down to about 175-178 on a nasty cold day in a MB winter.

Jim

Silver 2012 SL
Stony Mountain, MB

200 GIDS out of a possible 280 is pretty good for a 12.
If you NEED the range it would be better to invest in a 15 (short term) or just get an 18 and more than double the capacity.
7500 CDN plus shipping and installation would probably be close to $10K leaving you a car without an energy saving heat pump and 3kW charger. There have also been threads on battery replacements requiring a new charger soon after install.

ElectricEddy said:
stonymtnleaf said:

Jim

Silver 2012 SL
Stony Mountain, MB

200 GIDS out of a possible 280 is pretty good for a 12.
If you NEED the range it would be better to invest in a 15 (short term) or just get an 18 and more than double the capacity.
7500 CDN plus shipping and installation would probably be close to $10K leaving you a car without an energy saving heat pump and 3kW charger. There have also been threads on battery replacements requiring a new charger soon after install.
Agreed, the car's battery condition is not too bad after 5 years and 100,000 kms. Also agreed, the reality is that a battery replacement is not a particularly viable option in my case. A less obvious consideration to keep in mind when purchasing an electric vehicle.

Looks like I got pretty much what I paid for; the price was right, so no complaints.

Jim

Silver 2012 SL
Stony Mountain, MB

Back