UPDATED- LEAF LED High-Beam upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
My SV has the hard plastic dust cover, and I'm not clear on whether I have to leave that off Can someone clarify? .

For the SV and SL with LED low beam headlights, everything for the LED high beam upgrade will fit inside the enclosure. No modifications are needed to the access cover.

OrientExpress said:
LeftieBiker said:
My SV has the hard plastic dust cover, and I'm not clear on whether I have to leave that off Can someone clarify? .

For the SV and SL with LED low beam headlights, everything for the LED high beam upgrade will fit inside the enclosure. No modifications are needed to the access cover.

That's what I was hoping to read. Thanks. I assume it's a case of the bulb units being smaller than the H-13?

LeftieBiker said:
OrientExpress said:
LeftieBiker said:

That's what I was hoping to read. Thanks. I assume it's a case of the bulb units being smaller than the H-13?

No it's about the same size, it's just the enclosure has more room in it.

LeftieBiker said:
I got my H-9 set today. My SV has the hard plastic dust cover, and I'm not clear on whether I have to leave that off or modify it for my upgrade. Can someone clarify? I thought it was only the S halogen/halogen setup that needed extra work...

If it's the cover on the side of the housing, the only thing you need to modify is your hand.
I suggest a thumb removal

It would be at least as much of a pain replacing the stock high beams though.

I'm happy with mine, and the color is dead on the money.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "side" of the housing. It looks like the one in the Leaf S photos here. It does appear that it will be hard to turn, so I'll wear heavy gloves for that. Counter-clockwise to disengage it...?

Well, my first attempt at installing the H-9 replacement LED bulbs was a complete FAIL. Why? Well, the dust cover proved to be easy (although the manual, by not mentioning the cover at all, makes it seem like you have to disconnect something before removing it. Nope, that's the connector on the bulb, under the cover). Removing the halogen bulb was just a little more difficult, because I couldn't disconnect it first. However, the clip holding the halogen bulb was so bloody tight that the lock tab broke as I tried to wiggle it loose. Then I discovered that:

A: The bulb collar that came on the LED bulbs is too small for the hole.

B: The second set of bulb collars that came with my bulbs is identical to the ones already on the bulbs.

C: The connector types are not the same. The adapter pigtail for the LED uses two prongs that don't look at all compatible with the three sockets in the harness plug, and the plugs themselves don't look like they will mate. I'm guessing that the Ebay Seller sent me the wrong collars and pigtails?

It looks like I'm missing this:

Q6tOZZSl.jpg

Before I contact the Ebay seller, can someone post a list of exactly what comes in these kits? I got two bulbs, an installation manual with tiny print and pictures, two big rubber weather-covers, two pigtails, and four of the same bulb collars, two on the bulbs and two loose in the box.

I'm also wondering why my halogen high beam bulb plug has three wires and three sockets. Can it be possible I have an H-13 setup, on an SV...?

I was not happy with the light dispersal on my led high beam. I found this video. It is a very good primer for those who want more information on headlight bulbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRqxTl4rxlg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I could really use some help here. I was told that this was a plug & play installation, but the parts don't fit. I need to find out if the wrong kit was sent, or if my 2013 SV has, for some reason, the same headlights as a 2013 S. I need a parts list for the H-9 kit, and photos of the SV/SL configuration. In the meantime I'll pull the driver's side bulb again, and look for two filaments...

It sounds like you purchased an H9 LED kit which is for LEAFs with LED low-beams. The H9 bulb is for the SL and optional with the LED lighting package for the SV.

It also sounds like you are trying to upgrade a LEAF SV with the standard single halogen High/Low Beam which is the H13 bulb. The H13 single bulb dual-filament halogen bulb is standard on all years of the LEAF S & SV.

OrientExpress said:
It sounds like you purchased an H9 LED kit which is for LEAFs with LED low-beams. The H9 bulb is for the SL and optional with the LED lighting package for the SV.

It also sounds like you are trying to upgrade a LEAF SV with the standard single halogen High/Low Beam which is the H13 bulb. The H13 single bulb dual-filament halogen bulb is standard on all years of the LEAF S & SV.

That's just bloody wonderful. I actually asked about this, and your response was ambiguous enough that I misunderstood it to mean that the SV and SL *come with LED low beams*. I'm also sure I read that elsewhere here.

OrientExpress wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:

I was told the same thing. SV and SL come with LED low beams. not an "option" on the 2012 at least.

Well, it appears they don't come with LED low beams. I think I can return the upgrade kit, and while I damaged a bulb clip it seems like it will hold either without it or with a little super glue on the clip. The headlight still works, although now I'm really stuck with that terrible "High" beam. What this topic needs is a FAQ, with some photos and accurate specs.

This is great feedback, and I have updated the information on the original post to reflect the questions raised on this thread. Click here to see the updated DIY

But with all due respect to the readers of this thread, it is necessary that the person attempting this DIY have a certain amount of basic knowledge to be successful with this DIY mod, primarily knowing how to remove and replace an automobile headlight bulb, and knowing what the headlight configuration of your LEAF is. Without these two pieces of basic information, then it is probably best to avoid attempting this DIY.

The headlight configurations of the 2011-2015 LEAF are:
2011-2015 LEAF SL: LED low beams, H9 halogen high beams
2011-2012 LEAF SV: LED low beams, H9 halogen high beams
2013-2015 LEAF SV: H13 Halogen low/high beams
2013-2015 LEAF SV w/LED Headlights and Quick Charge Port Package: LED low beams, H9 halogen high beams
2013-2015 LEAF S: H13 Halogen low/high beams

All headlight bulbs have alignment tabs which must be properly aligned with the headlight housing to properly mount the bulb. For H9 & H13 bulbs there are 3 tabs with the center tab being longer that the two other tabs. The bulb can only properly be inserted in one orientation and then twisted to lock it in place. The orientation (in relation to vertical) for the left and right headlights is intentionally not the same.

But with all due respect to the readers of this thread, it is necessary that the person attempting this DIY have a certain amount of basic knowledge to be successful with this DIY mod, primarily knowing how to remove and replace an automobile headlight bulb, and knowing what the headlight configuration of your LEAF is. Without these two pieces of basic information, then it is probably best to avoid attempting this DIY.

Rather than reply with similar condescension, I'll note that I've replaced quite a few automotive halogen bulbs over the years. Had I been in doubt about my headlight type I would have been able to determine what lights my car has. Unfortunately, everyone at this forum who has bothered to mention it (and few have) has either mis-characterized the SV and SL as coming with standard LED low beams, or, like you, has given an ambiguously-worded response. Here is what I suggest you write in future: "If your SV or SL has the optional LED low beams, the H-9 LED set will be a plug & Play replacement for the high beam bulbs."

Back