As of 2017, 17,700 CHAdeMO chargers, 775,000 CHAdeMO compatible cars worldwide

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are Marriot and Courtyard hotels.. I finally figured out who is behind these installs, and it is the state of Virginia through the Virginia Clean Cities program. Come to find out through their site here: http://pluginsites.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that these new ones will be operational by the 31st, and that there is even some not listed on Plugshare. Most importantly to me they are FINALLY installing a charger on Naval Station Norfolk at the NEX, and a Chademo charger to boot! Buying my lease out just keeps getting better and better everyday. Was beginning to doubt I would make the warranty replacement window to get a lizard battery, but with all these new Chademo's going in will see what happens. Want to do the Norfolk to Washington D.C. at least once with it once all the Chademo's go in just to say I did it once. Norfolk to Richmond will be the first test here in a couple months.

The number of CHAdeMO DC Quick chargers installed up to today is 8549.
-- (Japan 5418 Europe 1838 USA 1238 Others 55) last update 2015.05.31
http://www.chademo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I expect BEVs with CHAdeMO ports in the USA today probably outnumber CCS by ~ten-to-one, just as they do worldwide:

The global market for EV chargers is set to grow from about one million units in 2014 to more than 12.7 million units in 2020, according to a new EV Charging Infrastructure report by IHS Automotive.

IHS expects public charging to be a small but important part of the picture. In 2020, approximately 10% of EV charging stations will be public or semi-public, according to the report.

According to IHS, about 7% of the world’s EVs use the CCS charging system, and about 65% use the CHAdeMO standard. This is expected to gradually evolve into a more even split...
http://chargedevs.com/newswire/new-report-ev-charger-market-to-expand-twelvefold-by-2020/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I think that any public DC station in the USA for the foreseeable future will have at least as many CHAdeMO plugs as CCS.

And for most American BEV drivers, A CHAdeMO port will remain a considerable advantage over a CCS port, for a very long time to come, due to the large lead in existing chargers.

BTW, I think it's fair to say anecdotal evidence may show that DC chargers using the CCS standard (where it exists) may be even less reliable than CHAdeMO:

NRG EvGo SAE Combo chargers DO NOT WORK!
http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's too early to conclude this is (as I suspect it might be) because because the CCS J1772-with-add-on-DC may be found to have inherent disadvantages over the CHAdeMO dedicated DC design.

edatoakrun said:
BTW, I think it's fair to say anecdotal evidence may show that DC chargers using the CCS standard (where it exists) may be even less reliable than CHAdeMO:

NRG EvGo SAE Combo chargers DO NOT WORK!
http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's too early to conclude this is (as I suspect it might be) because because the CCS J1772-with-add-on-DC may be found to have inherent disadvantages over the CHAdeMO dedicated DC design.

I've read a few comments on Plugshare that the CCS/Spark issue is with the car, not the standard or the charger. There is supposedly a GM service bulletin to file down part of the inlet on the car side to ensure proper connection with the CCS charger plug.

I have a CHAdeMO car but CCS sure is a lot more elegant. That CHAdeMO connector is a monstrous Rube Goldberg contraption that even after dozens of QCs I have difficulty operating smoothly.

In the US at least I think one must omit Nissan dealer QC installations as far as a general tally for broader adoption goes. A few dealers are welcome to non-Leafs but by and large the things are either overheating, blocked with Titans and Altimas, otherwise broken, and/or the dealer is hostile towards non-Nissans or even Nissans not purchased at that facility.

At least in my area anywhere that isn't a Nissan dealer has both CCS and CHAdeMO at this point and that seems to be the trend. Given similar availability I'd greatly prefer a CCS connector.

mtndrew1 said:
...At least in my area anywhere that isn't a Nissan dealer has both CCS and CHAdeMO at this point and that seems to be the trend...
Looks like there are now ~3 times as many CHAdeMO Sites as CCS in the greater LA area, which happens to be the most heavily CCS-subsidized region in the world.

If you ever take your Soul on a trip outside that area, you will probably be much more happy you don't have CCS.

Remember also, that even at those EVgo (CA mandated) LA basin CCS sites, there are generally half as many Dual DC as CHAdeMO only chargers, increasing the drivers probability of having to wait.

The question, is whether CCS equipped cars will eventually be produced in numbers similar to CHAdeMO capable BEVs/PHEVs, which will be required before non-mandated charge sites decide to install equal numbers of plugs for each standard.

I think this will probably occur, sooner or later.

But in the meantime, you are obviously better off with a CHAdeMO-capable BEV/PHEV.

Sorry you have so much difficulty plugging in your Soul.

My first DC of on trip almost always follows at least one previous multi-hour L2 charge, so it has never seemed a particularly arduous task, to me...

I didn't say it was arduous, I said it was difficult. And it is. Ultimately it's simply a terrible interface.

At the end of a CHAdeMO charge, after stopping the charger, you push the illuminated button on top (only when it's green!) and then that'll allow you to slide back a lever guard underneath the damn connector (what the hell is that thing for anyway?!) then you can unclamp the giant lever (what's THAT for?) which will then allow you to push the button on top again to free the medieval fire hose from the vehicle. If you're lucky.

CCS, stop the session, push the button on top of the connector just like J1772.

Tesla, like all things EV it seems, nails it. No need to stop the session, just press the button on the (slim, beautiful) connector and remove the connector from the car. The end.

As far as sales rates, in May it was ~1500 CCS cars vs. ~2100 CHAdeMO cars in the US. The standards are reaching parity and, all things being equal, I'd much rather deal with a CCS connector than CHAdeMO.

You're right, at the moment there's a mild advantage in having a CHAdeMO car in LA (when ignoring broken/hostile Nissan dealers) but CCS is spreading like wildfire. I suspect by the time my lease is up in 2017 there will be little to no advantage to having a CHAdeMO car in LA as far as infrastructure goes.

I actually don't have the energy to point out, yet again, that the CHAdeMO protocol is NOT the crazy Yazaki plug that everybody associates with CHAdeMO:

http://www.chademo.com/wp/chademo-connectors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
I actually don't have the energy to point out, yet again, that the CHAdeMO protocol is NOT the crazy Yazaki plug that everybody associates with CHAdeMO:

http://www.chademo.com/wp/chademo-connectors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be that as it may, it's what most US CHAdeMO users experience and it's awful.

Edit: Good lord! I looked at your link and there are TWELVE different CHAdeMO connectors! Twelve! They should add doing the hokey-pokey at the end of the charge session as part of the disconnect process just to put a cherry on top. Design by committee at is finest.

mtndrew1 said:
TonyWilliams said:

Edit: Good lord! I looked at your link and there are TWELVE different CHAdeMO connectors! Twelve! They should add doing the hokey-pokey at the end of the charge session as part of the disconnect process just to put a cherry on top. Design by committee at is finest.

No, there is a CHAdeMO standard that currently has twelve (or more) different choices of human interface. They ALL plug into the same CHAdeMO inlet.

Having choices is what a mature standard has. CCS has a REMA produced plug. That's it.

TonyWilliams said:

I imagine it's on the company who uses them on their machines/chargers, but not going to lie, it took me 15 mins to figure that HUNK OF JUNK out the first time I came across one ack

TonyWilliams said:
mtndrew1 said:
TonyWilliams said:

No, there is a CHAdeMO standard that currently has twelve (or more) different choices of human interface. They ALL plug into the same CHAdeMO inlet.

Having choices is what a mature standard has. CCS has a REMA produced plug. That's it.

Users largely don't care about protocol, they care about interface. This is why USB won the PC interface wars, why Apple won the MP3 and smartphone wars, and why Google won the search wars.

If I can be assured that a CCS car has exactly one method of connection and disconnection no matter who built the car or the charger or the charge connector, I see that as a massive selling point as a consumer.

I'll be honest, I nearly called roadside assistance the first time I used a CHAdeMO charger. Like the other poster, it took me the better part of 15 minutes to get it disconnected. As I was fumbling around swearing at the thing it didn't matter if it was Yazaki's fault or Kia's fault or Sumitomo's fault or Nissan's fault. It was just bad. It remains bad.

Sondy132001 said:
TonyWilliams said:

I imagine it's on the company who uses them on their machines/chargers, but not going to lie, it took me 15 mins to figure that HUNK OF JUNK out the first time I came across one ack

The original Yazaki was worse... Three levers. HORRENDOUS design, but Yazaki is a huge company, so that's what the early CHAdeMO charger manufacturers bought.

In those days, they were mostly concerned with quickly sucking up as much grant / tax money as possible, so Yazaki was able to charge $3500 for the privilege of getting one. Blink was offering their charger for $80,000.

Over $100 MILLION of federal tax money was sucked up by Blink / Ecotality alone.

The market is quite different today.

mtndrew1 said:
Users largely don't care about protocol, they care about interface. This is why USB won the PC interface wars, why Apple won the MP3 and smartphone wars, and why Google won the search wars.

If I can be assured that a CCS car has exactly one method of connection and disconnection no matter who built the car or the charger or the charge connector, I see that as a massive selling point as a consumer.

I'll be honest, I nearly called roadside assistance the first time I used a CHAdeMO charger. Like the other poster, it took me the better part of 15 minutes to get it disconnected. As I was fumbling around swearing at the thing it didn't matter if it was Yazaki's fault or Kia's fault or Sumitomo's fault or Nissan's fault. It was just bad. It remains bad.

You actually DON'T know that every CCS plug will be the same in the future. With only one choice, it's currently the same. But, should CCS actually become more than an "also-ran", other companies will also produce plugs and other components that are CCS compatible. Yes, while unlikely, some company could screw up the UI on a CCS plug as badly as the first generation Yazaki CHAdeMO plug.

It's unlikely that a new company would introduce a poor UI CHAdeMO design plug today, simply because there is competition. Yazaki, like REMA to CCS, didn't have any competition in the early days.

We just went over 5000 charge events with the Fuji Electric charger at San Juan Capistrano, California. The first DC charger on the ChargePoint network. Guess what? Nobody complains about the plug!!!!

Why? Because it's the Japanese Aviation Company designed plug, and not the horrendous Yazaki. Checkout the instructions on how to use that plug, and I think you'll be amazed that it's "just like CCS", except before CCS even existed !!!

http://www.chademo.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/pdf/JAEOperatingprocedure02.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, in summary, what individual companies do with a standard is entirely up to them. I have bad news for you... CCS isn't "Apple"... Tesla Supercharger is.

5467 Worldwide (6 March 2015)
8549 Worldwide (31 May 2015)

The number of CHAdeMO DC Quick chargers installed up to today is 8549.
-- (Japan 5418 Europe 1838 USA 1238 Others 55) last update 2015.05.31)

About 300% more CHAdeMO chargers were added in the world in the past three months than ALL THE CCS IN THE WORLD.

Via ievs.com:
1,000 Combo Chargers In Europe!
http://insideevs.com/1000-combo-chargers-europe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1,008 to be exact, versus 150 one year ago. These are, of course, CCS-2. Per plugshare, there appear to be 219 CCS-1 in the U.S. now (114 in California, vs. 252 CHAdeMO, and AFAIA all of the CCS put in have been dual standard, leaving a net of 138 solely CHAdeMO here), plus 15 in Canada. Oh, and the first claimed CCS that I'm aware of at a VW dealership has just appeared in Eugene, Oregon. That might be a mistake as no one has yet checked in, and it could be an L2 like the one at my local dealership. OTOH, it is right on I-5, and VW/BMW did say they were going to put them every 50 miles or so along it, so maybe this is the first of that. If correct, this is the first new CCS in Oregon in quite some time, as they'd been stalled at 7 for months. There are at least a couple at BMW facilities on the east coast as well.

Good news for most LEAF owners:

CHAdeMO celebrates double achievements: 2000 chargers in the US and 4000 in Europe

Together with Asia and the rest of the world there are over 13 500 CHAdeMO chargers globally, a strong 35% growth in 1 year

CHAdeMO is IEC/EN/IEEE standards and expands its global reach, adding 8 countries to its map of CHAdeMO chargers in 1 year

150kW chargers expected in Europe in 2017

Stepping into its 8th year of its existence, the association celebrates simultaneous reaching of 2000 publicly available CHAdeMOs in the US, 4000 in Europe and 13 500 globally, which means a 35% year-on-year growth. The historic milestones come amid a growing awareness of the role electric mobility plays in the reduction of CO2 emissions from transport globally. To date, almost 600 000 CHAdeMO-compatible EVs and plug-in hybrids around the world have found their owners.

Accompanying this growth in vehicles and charging opportunities is the expansion of CHAdeMO’s reach worldwide. Eight new countries were added to CHAdeMO map in 2016. EV drivers in Afghanistan, China, Colombia, Croatia, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Ukraine can now benefit from CHAdeMO fast charging, bringing the batteries of their EVs from 0 to 80% in 30 min...
https://www.chademo.com/chademo-celebrates-13500-charge-points/

But still not one CHAdeMO site that I can use, on "the electric Highway" (I-5) on the ~300 miles between Sacramento California and the Ashland Oregon...

As CHAdeMO continues to develop as the de-facto world DC standard, it might be useful to consider how much more rapidly the public DC infrastructure would have developed in the USA, had other BEV manufactures not put their own interests first, with their desires to promote alternate/and or proprietary standards.

We might already have been able to buy BEVs unencumbered by the expense, complexity and weight of on-board chargers, knowing that we could buy (and sell, as our needs changed) two-way charge/discharge devices, all using the same standard DC port for home/portable use, and that every public charge point, whatever kW rate was available, would similarly use the same DC standard.

That might still happen, but I will probably take a step backward with my next BEV, to the silly SAE combo charge port, and I won't be pleased about that.

CHAdeMO 2017: another good year of great growth for CHAdeMO

...CHAdeMO Association closed yet another very successful year in 2017. Not only have all fronts of the business of its members and collaborators grown, but it has also successfully consolidated its position as the international market leader.

New chargers sprang up everywhere in the world, and the number of CHAdeMO chargers grew by 30% last year, reaching a global total number of 17 700. An even bigger rate of increase was seen in the European region, where a 50% growth took place in 2017, ending the year with 6 060 charge points across Europe. Countries like Norway, Germany, United Kingdom, France and Ukraine went above and beyond with the expansion of their charging infrastructure.

In parallel with chargers, EV sales has boomed last year thanks to a growing awareness of the public on the utility and eco friendliness of electric cars and the increased market offers from the carmakers. As of 2017, 775 000 CHAdeMO compatible cars are on the roads, out of which 330 000 found a home in Europe...
https://www.chademo.com/chademo-2017-another-good-year-of-great-growth-for-chademo/

Looks like CHAdeMO was thinking ahead, and there was a there was a reason it made the plug so big...

CHAdeMO releases the latest version of the protocol enabling up to 400KW

CHAdeMO Association released its 400kW protocol (CHAdeMO 2.0: 400A x 1kV) to its members. This new version enables up to 1kV, paving the way towards large commercial vehicles such as trucks and buses. It can also incorporate a plug-and-charge (PnC) functionality.

On 29 May 2018, the Association’s Specification WG has released the new version of CHAdeMO to its Regular members.

CHAdeMO’s original protocol was released in 2009. Since then, the Association has amended the standard a couple of times to incorporate the required changes through its almost a decade-long in-market experience, but this new version is the first major protocol revision since CHAdeMO 1.0 was published in 2012.

CHAdeMO has already enabled in its Version 1.2 (published in March 2017) high-power charging up to 200kW (400A x 500V). CHAdeMO 2.0 now allows for up to 400kW, making high-voltage charging up to 1kV possible using liquid-cooled cable assemblies (still with the exact same CHAdeMO plug shape) or via pantographs. In case of charging with the plug, backward compatibility is ensured, meaning the high-power CHAdeMO chargers can feed power to both the current EVs as well as the upcoming EVs with higher-power charging capability.

CHAdeMO’s Secretary General Dave Yoshida said: “The publication of the new version of the protocol is part of our broader efforts to expand the CHAdeMO protocol to a wider variety of vehicles, including trucks and buses. With the CAN-based communication, it will be a relatively simple but reliable option to charge large commercial vehicles and other industrial applications. Combining these vehicles with the V2X technology, for which CHAdeMO is the only enabler today amongst the major international charging standards with readily available products in the market, fleet owners would benefit from an even larger set of options to rethink the TCO (total cost of ownership) of their vehicles, as these vehicles can not only charge but discharge electricity and support the Grid.”

The new version of CHAdeMO is also compatible with a CHAdeMO plug-and-charge (PnC) functionality that will make the EV users lives even easier. With the CHAdeMO PnC functionality, the users will have to simply insert the CHAdeMO plug into the EV’s inlet, and the authentication and billing will be done automatically...
https://www.chademo.com/chademo-releases-the-latest-version-of-the-protocol-enabling-up-to-400kw/

ChadeMo is moribund in the US and Europe.
IIRC, about 200 new stations were installed in the US last year. For comparison, Telsa plans that amount PER WEEK in 2018.

And the installations are mostly as an afterthought 50 kW appendage to a CCS installation.
As CCS matures and power delivery improves I expect ChadeMo to continue to be a single, 50 kW sop to inter-operability. AKA it is there, but it sucks. And it is hard to say how long the CCS installers will even bother with their token ChadeMo.

As for 400 kW ChadeMo ? Perhaps in Japan.

Back