User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 6291
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Our solar production

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:02 am

Valdemar wrote:My new 9kW DC system is up, producing more than 60kWh/day this time of year on a good day, over 12 months estimating about 90% offset but on SoCal Edison TOU plan I should be able to erase most if not all of my bill. Here is my public monitoring portal.
Thanks and congratulations on your new system! That's the first SolarEdge system portal that I have seen.

A couple of thoughts:

- It's cool to see per-panel production information from a string-based array!
- Did your installer get the layout correct on the website? The reason I ask is the two panels which are underproducing the rest of the array are not near the cutout where I would expect to find them (next to the cutout). Also, it seems like the numbering is somewhat random: They do not seem to be organized in order like I would expect.
- It appears that SolarEdge provides some data on their external portal that Enphase no longer does, including individual panel production information.
- Do they provide more data if you login? For instance, can I see daily production curves for each panel when logged in?
- Can you monitor temperature?
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K mi. on 041413; 20K mi. (55.7Ah) on 080714; 30K mi. (52.0Ah) on 123015; 40K mi. (49.8Ah) on 020817; 50K mi. (47.2Ah) on 120717; 60K mi. (43.66Ah) on 091918.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

Valdemar
Posts: 2486
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Our solar production

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:11 am

RegGuheert wrote:
Valdemar wrote:My new 9kW DC system is up, producing more than 60kWh/day this time of year on a good day, over 12 months estimating about 90% offset but on SoCal Edison TOU plan I should be able to erase most if not all of my bill. Here is my public monitoring portal.
Thanks and congratulations on your new system! That's the first SolarEdge system portal that I have seen.

A couple of thoughts:

- It's cool to see per-panel production information from a string-based array!
- Did your installer get the layout correct on the website? The reason I ask is the two panels which are underproducing the rest of the array are not near the cutout where I would expect to find them (next to the cutout). Also, it seems like the numbering is somewhat random: They do not seem to be organized in order like I would expect.
- It appears that SolarEdge provides some data on their external portal that Enphase no longer does, including individual panel production information.
- Do they provide more data if you login? For instance, can I see daily production curves for each panel when logged in?
- Can you monitor temperature?


Yes, it is pretty cool. I have access to per-panel telemetry data, such as current, power, energy, voltage, and optimizer voltage, with the ability to draw overlayed curves so I can compare panel performance.

I didn't watch over their shoulder but hope they mapped out the optimizers right, after all it is as much in their interest as it is in mine if not more since they'd performing warranty work on the system if something goes wrong (and their company is still around). The under-performing panels (1 and 11) in the portal correlate with the shade from the nearby vents, so that's a good sign. In retrospect they should have put these 2 panels in a different location but too late now, I'm estimating 0.5% loss overall which is not too bad with better aesthetics. The installer didn't do a good job of creating a logical layout that's why the panel numbers appear to be random, also all panels show up on one string in the logical layout view I have access to while there are actually 2. I'm not too happy about it but given the optimizer locations are actually correct it is not that big of a deal. Panel #30 has a bad optimizer or some other issue, the installer will come out to take care of it, hopefully soon.

As for temperature reporting, for the inverter it is available through the API but not visible in the portal, unsure if it is reported by individual optimizers.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
53.92AHr, SOH 84.5%, 140k miles

9kW Solar

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 6291
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Our solar production

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:27 pm

Valdemar wrote:Yes, it is pretty cool. I have access to per-panel telemetry data, such as current, power, energy, voltage, and optimizer voltage, with the ability to draw overlayed curves so I can compare panel performance.
That's nice! Overlaying different results is something that Enphase does not allow me to do (at least I have not figured out how to do it). Do you have the ability to overlay results from the same panel, but from different days?
Valdemar wrote:The installer didn't do a good job of creating a logical layout that's why the panel numbers appear to be random, also all panels show up on one string in the logical layout view I have access to while there are actually 2. I'm not too happy about it but given the optimizer locations are actually correct it is not that big of a deal.
Yeah, I figured you had two strings in your system. Too bad they didn't make the logical assignments, well, logical.
Valdemar wrote:Panel #30 has a bad optimizer or some other issue, the installer will come out to take care of it, hopefully soon.
O.K. I was thinking that result was from shading, but I hadn't realized I could do playbacks, so I didn't see the odd behavior. I agree that the shading you do have on a couple of units is so minor that its a don't care. I have quite a bit more shading than you do!

You'll have to start an MTBF thread for SolarEdge! ;) (Not really, that is considered an infantile failure, so it doesn't impact MTBF.) But hopefully SolarEdge will keep this data public so that we can see failures if/when they do occur.
Valdemar wrote:As for temperature reporting, for the inverter it is available through the API but not visible in the portal, unsure if it is reported by individual optimizers.
Temperature is not overly critical, but I find that it does help me to understand why some "perfect solar" days produce more than others. I would think SolarEdge would want to know the temperature as much as anyone else, just to understand the environment better. But perhaps they decided that was just one more thing that could break and lower the MTBF.

I see some of your panels producing over 270W. That's a lot for this time of year (and more than any Enphase inverter will ever produce). So I guess you have 300Wp panels (9kW/30=300W)?

Again, very cool! Thanks for sharing!

ETA: I just discovered the "Collapse" feature. It looks like this might do something I've been asking Enphase to allow me do: to monitor on a per-subarray basis. In the SolarEdge case, it appears to sum up results based on logical grouping, which could be by string but also could be done by subarray.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K mi. on 041413; 20K mi. (55.7Ah) on 080714; 30K mi. (52.0Ah) on 123015; 40K mi. (49.8Ah) on 020817; 50K mi. (47.2Ah) on 120717; 60K mi. (43.66Ah) on 091918.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

Valdemar
Posts: 2486
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Our solar production

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:15 pm

RegGuheert wrote:Do you have the ability to overlay results from the same panel, but from different days?


Doesn't look like this is something you can do. You can create 2 charts but not overlay 2 days of data from the same panel on one.

RegGuheert wrote:I see some of your panels producing over 270W. That's a lot for this time of year (and more than any Enphase inverter will ever produce). So I guess you have 300Wp panels (9kW/30=300W)?


Yup, 300W LG panels. I was hoping for more than 270W with 0.96 efficiency! Hoping the numbers will be higher during winter.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
53.92AHr, SOH 84.5%, 140k miles

9kW Solar

User avatar
jlv
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:21 am

Our system just went online this month. We are also using a SolarEdge inverter and optimizers with SunPower 327kW panels. Public link to the portal in my signature. I'm also pushing the data into PVOuput: http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=41929&sid=38287
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 32K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 25K mi
Model 3 reservation (still undecided)

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 6291
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re:

Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:19 pm

jlv wrote:Our system just went online this month. We are also using a SolarEdge inverter and optimizers with SunPower 327kW panels. Public link to the portal in my signature. I'm also pushing the data into PVOuput: http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=41929&sid=38287
Congratulations! That's awesome!

Thanks for the links! The one in your post works fine, but the one in your signature does not work for me. Perhaps there is a setting you need to change to make that page public?
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K mi. on 041413; 20K mi. (55.7Ah) on 080714; 30K mi. (52.0Ah) on 123015; 40K mi. (49.8Ah) on 020817; 50K mi. (47.2Ah) on 120717; 60K mi. (43.66Ah) on 091918.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

User avatar
jlv
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Re:

Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:24 pm

RegGuheert wrote:Thanks for the links! The one in your post works fine, but the one in your signature does not work for me. Perhaps there is a setting you need to change to make that page public?
It's fixed. I had changed the name and that turned off it being public.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 32K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 25K mi
Model 3 reservation (still undecided)

Valdemar
Posts: 2486
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re:

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:22 pm

jlv wrote:Our system just went online this month. We are also using a SolarEdge inverter and optimizers with SunPower 327kW panels. Public link to the portal in my signature. I'm also pushing the data into PVOuput: http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=41929&sid=38287


Interesting, looks like your 327W panels peak at about 275W on average, which is about the same what I get in California with panels rated at 10% less output. Must be because you're further North or due to non-ideal array tilt, or both. Any particular reason you went with SunPower?
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
53.92AHr, SOH 84.5%, 140k miles

9kW Solar

User avatar
jlv
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Our solar production

Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:22 pm

The SunPower panels were an option on two of the quotes I was given. My roof has a smaller SSE face and a larger WSW face, so I wanted the maximum I could generate in the small space. I thought in general Southern CA got 10-20% more output than up here in MA.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 32K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 25K mi
Model 3 reservation (still undecided)

seascribe
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:03 am
Delivery Date: 27 Jul 2013

Re: Our solar production

Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:27 pm

For those who might be contemplating a vertical mount of PV panels...results of our "unconventional" layout:

Production 2 January/15 (commissioning of 3.5kW grid-tied system at lat. 45 deg. N) to summer solstice 21June/15.......1.7MWh.

NSPI power bill total cost (after credit for surplus PV production sent out to grid) for April 13 to June 8…....................$56.63CAD
(includes small amount of April electric space heating, all other household electrical needs, and charging Leaf for 1299.7 Km driving
during that time period).

Return to “Solar”