Help: Homelink mirror upgrade on 2015 model S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No.

Nhinman said:
Agkirk said:
Were the plastic retainer 'clips' on the sides or front/back edges? I got enough space for a peek on the right edge and there appeared to be a post about a 1/4 of the way forward from the back edge. Are there four post and what are they hooked over? I thought the headliner was fabric covered foam so I was worried that pulling the plastic retainers too far down would tear a chunk of foam out.

Does the S model have the auto-dimming mirror??

The images and instructions were spot on! Big THANKS!

Took me 5 minutes, a couple of plastic hotel keys and I had the panel down and no damage. Used a plastic pry to get my fingers under the forward edges and gave a firm tug.

Put three Quick Connect tabs on the Red Yellow and black wires and hooked the Homelink in. Got the garage door opener working but still working on the compass.

Took a few more photos in case someone else has questions.

Overhead module inside view.

04vtMZAh.jpg

A different angle on the forward metal retaining pins

dPQicr7h.jpg

Agkirk said:
The images and instructions were spot on! Big THANKS!

Took me 5 minutes, a couple of plastic hotel keys and I had the panel down and no damage. Used a plastic pry to get my fingers under the forward edges and gave a firm tug.

Put three Quick Connect tabs on the Red Yellow and black wires and hooked the Homelink in. Got the garage door opener working but still working on the compass.
---------------

Where do you plan on tying in to switched/Accessory power at??

2015 Leaf overhead wiring:

Larger connector has 12Vdc on Yellow wire (apparently all the time), Red has 5Vdc all the time, Black is ground and the other three wires appear to have no DC voltage. Suspect they connect to something to do with the Blue Tooth or audio feedback. The other connector has about 5 pins and three go to a small black module behind one of the two holes in this panel. The other hole is taped over but has latch fittings for another black module. Again, this module may have something to do with audio. I did not check it for DC, maybe next time I take the overhead down to put the switched DC Wire in I will at least give these pins a check. I had to add about 5 inches to the Homelink connector wires so there was enough to comfortably reach my QC tabs.

Presently I have my mirror on all the time. I did not find any switched DC in the overhead compartment so a wire along the window will be necessary.

2015 LEAF S Overhead Bin Wiring

mqH10ivh.jpg

Thank you Agkirk. Above image helped me to get mine done on my 2015 Leaf S.

Got this homelink mirror from eBay for $75. This includes the mirror, harness wires and splicers required to install the mirror.

Connected both switched and unswitched to Yellow wire and the ground to black wire.

For those wondering about the "switched" DC function, the HomeLink GENTEX GENK45 I installed allows the mirror and compass power to be turned off with its integrated power switch. This is great when the car is unused for several weeks. Of course you have to remember to do this action, which I didn't do last month!
It still doesn't power the mirror electronics off upon shutdown of the car but that daily current drain is minor. I hope this doesn't shorten the life of the mirror!
I paid $75 plus $15 for the cable.

Agkirk said:
For those wondering about the "switched" DC function, the HomeLink GENTEX GENK45 I installed allows the mirror and compass power to be turned off with its integrated power switch. This is great when the car is unused for several weeks. Of course you have to remember to do this action, which I didn't do last month!
It still doesn't power the mirror electronics off upon shutdown of the car but that daily current drain is minor. I hope this doesn't shorten the life of the mirror!
I paid $75 plus $15 for the cable.

Correct me if I am wrong. If we splice the connection from the map light, it should timeout in 10 mins (or whatever the map-light timeout is) and automatically disconnects the power. It will become active whenever a door is opened or vehicle is unlocked and will stay active as long as the car is on. I tested this after I installed my Gentex GENK41. I turned on the map light and closed all the doors. After 10 mins, both the map light and the little green light on the homelink mirror turned off and the homelink did not work until a door is opened or the car is unlocked. So I am guessing it is safe to assume that there will no power draw after it has been shut off.

You are correct! I didn't wait long enough.
I have not figured out what the on/off switch on the mirror does. It does not turn the compass off so maybe it is just the HomeLink garage door transmitter. Or the mirror night mode.
I left my '15 S parked in the desert heat for 65 days starting at 75% and returned to find the reading at 67%. 12V battery was 12.2 VDC.

Finally got around to doing this on my 2013. Got a Homelink / Auto dimming mirror on eBay for under $30 but had to pay almost that much again to get a nice cable for it. Thanks Agkirk and others here for the photos and wiring info, it made the job very easy.

I had one on my Prius before and I really missed the auto dimming mirror and Homelink. Now I have them back :)

I upgraded my 2015 SV w/autodimming to a Homelink/autodimming mirror. These posts and pictures were extremely helpful.

I purchased my Gentek41 on ebay for $75 delivered and it included all wiring, connectors and zip ties. Since my SV had switched power to the mirror already, I tapped into that for both the Homelink and the autodimming. The switched power was the black wire w/red stripe and the ground was the solid black. This was only a 20 minute job and turned out great! I am so glad to have the Homelink convenience.

This is a great community of Leafers.

I am wanting to do this on my 2016 SV..

is this the correct mirror to get?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-GENTEX-GENK41-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR-KIT-AUTO-DIMMING-HOMELINK-/252297810845?hash=item3abe1f139d:g:sD0AAMXQtUxTdSCa&vxp=mtr

am I basically looking for GenteX 41?

Thanks,

So i got the Genk41 mirror from ebay and powers up auto dimming works, but the homelink wont Program.

The ebay posting had said it might need a repeater for some garage door openers.. The strange thing is the homelink on my pathfinder 2014 works just fine without a repeater.

Here are the model numbers for the actual mirror's.

PF — 0B12HL4

Leaf — ZTVHL3

Any suggestions?

If I cant program it I will plan to send the Genk41 back and purchase the one with model 0B12HL4 seems a different model for Gentex..

any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jay

Does any of this help?

http://www.homelink.com/program

I remember clearing all the codes out of my aftermarket compass/homelink mirror (hold the two outer buttons until flashing, about 20 seconds), then using the garage remote pointed at the mirror, while pressing the desired mirror button at the same time as pressing the garage remote until it rapidly flashed.

I will have to double check my brand, but I want to say it is a Gentex. not sure on model number...

Let us know how it goes!

finman100 said:
Does any of this help?

http://www.homelink.com/program

I remember clearing all the codes out of my aftermarket compass/homelink mirror (hold the two outer buttons until flashing, about 20 seconds), then using the garage remote pointed at the mirror, while pressing the desired mirror button at the same time as pressing the garage remote until it rapidly flashed.

I will have to double check my brand, but I want to say it is a Gentex. not sure on model number...

Let us know how it goes!

unfortunately it does not.. I tried the instructions multiple times.. I have successfully programmed other homelink mirrors in the past to the same garage door opener.. so i am almost sure i am following the steps correctly..

I tried to call homelink support but their wait time was crazy long and hand to hangup. I have emailed them yesterday but still to hear back..

Do you have a newer garage door opener? Some of the newer ones use something called Security+ 2.0 and require a repeater to work with older homelink systems. A google search shows that the GENK45 doesn't have Security+ 2.0, but the one in your pathfinder probably does.

philip said:
Do you have a newer garage door opener? Some of the newer ones use something called Security+ 2.0 and require a repeater to work with older homelink systems. A google search shows that the GENK45 doesn't have Security+ 2.0, but the one in your pathfinder probably does.

Spoke with homelink support and confirmed this would need a repeater...

I don't like the idea of using a repeater.. so I am thinking I will buy a newer homelink mirror..

I am wondering get if someone has a factory home link can you tell me the model number from behind the mirror please? Per the home link guy newer cars should have the newer home link mirror so if a 2015 or 2016 owner with factory home link can share the model number I'll get that.

Or I can plan to get the same as my pathfinder and use that since I know that works.

Thanks,
Jay

ended up getting a different model of the homelink mirror that is homelink v4 + and it programmed with the garage door opener in seconds!.

I have a 2017 S.

This thread is great, thanks to all the people adding photos and instructions.

Will a mirror that's a Hyundai part (has homelink and compass) work for my Leaf S? It comes with a cable but maybe the connectors on that cable only fit a Hyundai?
The Hyundai part number is 3X062 ADU01.

Also for the installation, if I correctly summarize the thread then I just need to pass the wire to the overhead console and connect the power one to the feed power into the overhead light as that has a 10 minute timer so it won't drain the battery. Is that right?

Thanks
Amnon

The homelink mirrors have a different connector than the one in your S - so you have to splice the wires no matter what. A lot of us are using the existing power for the auto-dimming mirror, which is switched off when you shut off the car.

My S has a regular, non powered mirror.

Also is there any reason the "Hyundai" mirror wouldn't work?

Back