Clicking noise during acceleration and decceleration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noticed my car click this morning when I came to a stop. So I tried to replicated it while moving...yup - single click when accelerating, single click when decelerating. 52,600 miles. Went under the hood already to see if it was the motor rocking and it's not, so I'll jack up the front a bit later and see if I can replicate the click by moving the wheels back and fro. Scheduling service for this weekend and fully expect it to be one or both of the CV joints.

Did you have the spline lub and bolt retorque TSB done? It fixed mine for a while but it then came back and I choose to simply ignore it. In the last 15,000 miles I had the car it never got any worse or changed in any manner...

mwalsh said:
Noticed my car click this morning when I came to a stop. So I tried to replicated it while moving...yup - single click when accelerating, single click when decelerating. 52,600 miles. Went under the hood already to see if it was the motor rocking and it's not, so I'll jack up the front a bit later and see if I can replicate the click by moving the wheels back and fro. Scheduling service for this weekend and fully expect it to be one or both of the CV joints.

TomT said:
Did you have the spline lub and bolt retorque TSB done? It fixed mine for a while but it then came back and I choose to simply ignore it. In the last 15,000 miles I had the car it never got any worse or changed in any manner...

Diagnosed as a bad hub bearing and fixed by replacing the hub assembly on the passenger side.

Ugh, my LEAF has gotten the single click on acceleration and deceleration.

Can reproduce by holding the brake firmly and shifting between D and R and pressing the accelerator.

Would this noise fall under the 5-year powertrain warranty? Sounds like there's multiple causes here - I should have had the dealer look at it a month ago when doing the annual battery check, but I forgot and now the noise seems to be gradually getting louder.

So I think I have the "clicking" sound, I have taken the car twice to the dealership, tech says it has been unable to duplicate :cry: :cry: the sound its making me crazy. I made a small video clip, could anybody please confirm is the clicking noise? also I mentioned to the tech the NTB 12-055b but he said that only applies if the car makes the noise while making turns, still he said unable to duplicate. I am attaching two videos, in the night time video you can hear the sound at about 2-3 mph just after the car starts to move, then on the day time video no sound at all... :?: I get the clicking sound intermittently

https://youtu.be/vxqniaFUCug

https://youtu.be/nQ8uiYP6oOQ

So I took the car to the dealership, according to the technician the noise I am hearing is normal operation. Since I am not the original owner I don't know wether it is normal or not and if it's the "clicking sound" please help me know what it is. Thanks

https://youtu.be/9Hc6e44grYk

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135570797@N02/shares/38Y64J

Upon braking & accelerating from a stop, the clicking sound from our 2011 seems to have increased recently.

I'll check past work, but I think we had the clips on calipers worked on before to see if the sound would go away.

Could the fix, or TSBs, for this fall under the 5 year warranty? Are there any TSBs I should mention to the dealership?

For those who were successful repairing this
- was it by re-lubing the front axle?
- lubing the spline/shaft (is this the same as above?)
- replacing hub assembly for bad hub bearings?

One SF Bay Area dealership said it would be $150 to diagnose & would be applied to lubing if I fix. My 3 year warranty past, but this advisor didn't confirm that the fix could fall under 5 yr warranty.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I still haven't taken mine in for diagnosis. Will be doing so within a month before the 5-year warranty is up. Depending on what exactly is failing will determine whether or not warranty covers it.

Our 2011 is doing this, also. I've ignored it thus far, mainly because it isn't clear to me how to fix it. I don't like taking my car into a dealership unless I ALREADY know what the problem is! ;)

My 2011 makes a clicking noise sometimes when slowly accelerating from a stop. Sounds like playing cards in a bicycle wheel we used to do when we were young (only much more subtle and no cards involved). Seems to happen more when it is cold. Only noticeable below about 5 MPH. Happening a bit more than it was originally, have had it for several years. I haven't decided whether to do anything about it.

Thanks drees & RegGuheert.

I've also been letting it go since our caliper tweak didn't fix the sound. Like you both, our 5yr warranty is not too far off & the LEAF's clicking seems more frequent, so I thought better to get it checked. Before I bring it in, I'm also going to listen for any clicking during turning too. Maybe it could be when I turn the steering wheel too hard/fast during parking that I hear a sound. That way any issues can be addressed on one visit. Lol, yup, I also like to do some homework, esp. on this forum (thanks again) before approaching the dealership for services :)

Thanks Stoaty. I'll have to observe more if it's happening to our's when cold also. Like your's, it's happening more frequently lately.

BTW, since we don't have oil changes, has anyone lube their doors/hatch etc...? Hatch has been creaking.

My 2011 began "clicking" on during acceleration and decceleration late last year. I had the spline lub and bolt retorque TSB work done at the dealership. The "clicking" stopped for a couple of months. However it's returned. I can do the trick where you stop and hold the brake - it will click once. The put it in reverse, hold the brake and press the accelerator - it will click again.

I have a 2013 Leaf SV with the clicking sound on acceleration and deceleration. The final fix was a new motor. The Nissan dealership called there engineering department and they authorized the replacement. Hope this helps. The Dealership was Nissan of Elk Grove CA

Took my 2011 Leaf to a trusted independent mechanic for the clicking noise, which is now more obvious when cold, but fairly subtle when Leaf is warmer. He went for a brief drive with me and said, "It isn't the suspension. I believe it is in the drive train. Since it happens only at slow speed and not under load I wouldn't worry about it." He also said he used to service Leafs for a business that had a number of them, but there was never much to do. "Even at 120,000 miles the brakes were still fine."

PS He said he would like to have a Tesla, but doesn't want to invest that much money in a "depreciating asset" even though he could afford it.

Trying to decide if I should go to Nissan dealer to have it checked (should have done 8 months ago before 5 year warranty expired) or just not worry about it since the Leaf drives fine.

Just so everyone knows, this is not just a LEAF issue. I have a 2015 Nissan Sentra SV(25,854miles)that is doing the same clicking noise during deceleration and acceleration and sometimes even braking. Sometimes even during turning. I started hearing it around 25,000 miles. I clocked in that I can reproduce the sound fairly easily when driving between 30-35 mph. When I let up off the gas pedal within that mph range I get the click, then when I increase speed I get the click again. And then when I break there goes the click yet again. Sometimes when turning the click is there as well, no matter which way I turn.

I'm just hoping mine requires only lubing as well because I drive for Uber and don't make much money. I just hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to get this repair done ughhhh. And it's so annoying with passengers because you know they hear it. But the sound seems to have nothing to do with the way the car drives. My car is braking and driving just fine, but that click is just soooo annoying. Sometimes I can feel the click with my foot through the gas pedal or brake as well.

I took my LEAF in a couple of months ago for some TSBs and recalls, and mentioned the clicking noise. Sure enough, there was a TSB on it, and they (IIRC) lubricated the axle and/or bearings. 5000 miles later, I'm still not experiencing the clicking noise.

Back