Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Details of the Brea Mall location
http://www.cityofbrea.net/DocumentCenter/View/809" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Between Macy's and Sears on the south side entrance of the mall.

JeremyW said:
QC at the brea mall looks good to me! :)

I hope to be joining the LA Leaf Team, however, I am trying to get first hand experience regarding the battery on the Leaf.

I am thinking about purchasing vs leasing the 2014 Leaf (Base w/ QC). However, I am hearing horror stories regarding the battery and heat... The car will be uncovered and un-garaged for the majority of its lifespan. What are some of your (or known) experiences of this situation during the heat? I'd hope to own the vehicle for at least 6+ years.

DisturbedAle said:
I hope to be joining the LA Leaf Team, however, I am trying to get first hand experience regarding the battery on the Leaf.

I am thinking about purchasing vs leasing the 2014 Leaf (Base w/ QC). However, I am hearing horror stories regarding the battery and heat... The car will be uncovered and un-garaged for the majority of its lifespan. What are some of your (or known) experiences of this situation during the heat? I'd hope to own the vehicle for at least 6+ years.

When you say LA, what area are you talking about? Battery degradation will be far worse for a Leaf in the San Fernando Valley than one in Santa Monica.

If you live in a warm part of the county and with a car that will be un-garaged, you will hit Nissan's "end of life" (70% of original capacity) long before you reach year 6. The battery aging model in the Wiki (link upper center) is only predicting a bit over 5 years' battery life if the car is kept in Van Nuys.

DisturbedAle said:
Un-garaged wouldn't be all bad, as it'll allow the car to cool at night.

I wouldn't buy a new LEAF in SoCal until Nissan fixes the excessive temperature-related battery degradation, which seems to be a LEAF-only issue and not a general EV issue. Either buy a different EV or lease a LEAF. My LEAF's battery capacity has dropped more slowly because I'm up in the cooler mountains (though I commuted "down the hill" for ~ 2 years in the LEAF), which is sort of good except that it's still been faster than Nissan anticipated but not enough to likely qualify for the 5 year / 60K mile battery capacity warranty.

Why 70% is "end of life"? I don't think it's been established the battery capacity will drop more rapidly after reaching 70% remaining, and 60 mile range may be acceptable for many people.

Valdemar said:
Why 70% is "end of life"? I don't think it's been established the battery capacity will drop more rapidly after reaching 70% remaining, and 60 mile range may be acceptable for many people.

I thought that is what Nissan considers "end of life" for the battery?

Has anybody continued to drive their car at or below 8 bars?

RonDawg said:
Valdemar said:

I thought that is what Nissan considers "end of life" for the battery?

Has anybody continued to drive their car at or below 8 bars?

Probably not as they would likely just get a new battery under warranty. I won't be able to benefit from it so I plan to drive mine until range drops to 40-50 miles, or even lower if my commute will allow it. This plan may not materialize of course if there's a rapid decline in capacity past certain level. Only time will tell.

Valdemar said:
Probably not as they would likely just get a new battery under warranty.

At least one person here has put over 60k on his car and thus would not qualify for the warranty. It's that person/those persons whom I wonder if they have reached the 8 bar level and if so are they continuing to operate their vehicles that way, and if so are they noticing a rapidly increasing rate of degradation since they hit the 8th bar.

DisturbedAle said:

I live in Lake View Terrace, and have had my car for over 3 years now, it always parked outside. I've lost one capacity bar, but the best measure I have of capacity loss is that I used to be able to make it from my house to LAX (65 miles) no problems, now it is dicey I really need a quick charge for about 5 minutes to make it comfortably.

-Matt

RonDawg said:
DisturbedAle said:

When you say LA, what area are you talking about? Battery degradation will be far worse for a Leaf in the San Fernando Valley than one in Santa Monica.

If you live in a warm part of the county and with a car that will be un-garaged, you will hit Nissan's "end of life" (70% of original capacity) long before you reach year 6. The battery aging model in the Wiki (link upper center) is only predicting a bit over 5 years' battery life if the car is kept in Van Nuys.

Thanks everyone, my current commute is home (Rosemead) to Norwalk. I am looking to lease and looking for recommendations/pricing as well. I'm looking for probably B with QC, anyone have good numbers to share? Best I have seen in the lease thread is $250/mo with $1000 down for an SV.

My apologies for spamming here, but want to bring this to local audience:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

National Drive Electric Week Event - Los Angeles

Day: Sunday, September 13, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

All Los Angeles Nissan LEAF owners need to go there and support.

I'm sending out an SOS (with apologies to Sting) to metro LA Leafers who have LeafSpy equipment and software, and can either lend their help or advise me where to buy an ELM327 locally, quick.

Reason: I have been driving a 2011 and then a 2013 Leaf (both leased) for the last four years. But now I'm looking to purchase a 2013 LEAF S, but want to know more about its battery health and state before committing. The vehicle is in Glendale at a dealer, and is off-lease with only about 13,000 miles. It looks and drives great, but has a huge scare factor: it's from Arizona!

I've been meaning to order an OBD II device and install LeafSpy on my android phone, but ... suddenly now the right car is available but it might take a few days to order a device and get it shipped to me. If anyone lives in the area and might be willing to meet me with their LeafSpy gadgetry, I'd happily compensate you for your time. Or, if anyone can tell me where to buy an ELM 327 device locally so I can set up my own LeafSpy I would appreciate that. I'd also appreciate very concise instructions on how best to use LeafSpy to determine if I want to purchase that vehicle. Would SOH be the simplest and best single indicator?

Thanks for any suggestions or help you can offer!

Search on eBay and sort by distance/nearest first. There are LA-based sellers, some may allow a local pickup even if it is not listed, send them a message. There are bluetooth (for Android) others are wifi (iPhone), make sure you pick the type you need.

As for what to look, make sure they charge the car fully and get the Gid count, there is also the AHr value which doesn't depend on the current SOC, not sure if the latter can be affected by gradual capacity loss data reset, and I think Spy's displayed SOH value is based on the AHr. Gids shouldn't be as they reflect how much energy is actually stored in the pack, a new pack I think is 281 gids on a full charge, and for example mine with 34% capacity loss was 187 this morning.

Valdemar said:
Search on eBay and sort by distance/nearest first. There are LA-based sellers, some may allow a local pickup even if it is not listed, send them a message. There are bluetooth (for Android) others are wifi (iPhone), make sure you pick the type you need.

As for what to look, make sure they charge the car fully and get the Gid count, there is also the AHr value which doesn't depend on the current SOC, not sure if the latter can be affected by gradual capacity loss data reset, and I think Spy's displayed SOH value is based on the AHr. Gids shouldn't be as they reflect how much energy is actually stored in the pack, a new pack I think is 281 gids on a full charge, and for example mine with 34% capacity loss was 187 this morning.

Thank you!

There are two CHAdeMO Quick Chargers installed at the Valley Medical Center at 7515 Van Nuys Blvd. Van Nuys, CA 91405. This is a County Facility. For some reason they are not turned on though, reportedly, it only requires flipping the breakers.

Please call your County Supervisor if you are interested in getting them activated. http://bos.co.la.ca.us/AboutUs/BoardofSupervisors.aspx

Hilda L. Solis (213) 974-4111
First District

Mark Ridley-Thomas (213) 974-2222
Second District

Sheila Kuehl (213) 974-3333
Third District

Don Knabe 213-974-4444
Fourth District

Michael D. Antonovich (213) 974-5555
Fifth District

Maybe I'll have to go over there, find the breaker, and turn them on myself like I did the two Blinks behind the Fedex/Kinkos in Granada Hills some time ago... :lol:

91040 said:
There are two CHAdeMO Quick Chargers installed at the Valley Medical Center at 7515 Van Nuys Blvd. Van Nuys, CA 91405. This is a County Facility. For some reason they are not turned on though, reportedly, it only requires flipping the breakers.

Antonovich's office called to report that Kuehl's office says the CHAdeMOs will be operational after a grand opening in October. Doesn't explain why they were off line before the construction though.

Silly me! I forgot that politicians can't do ANTHING without some form of gigantic photo and sound bite op!

91040 said:
Antonovich's office called to report that Kuehl's office says the CHAdeMOs will be operational after a grand opening in October. Doesn't explain why they were off line before the construction though.

Back