You know your key-fob battery is running low when... Part 2

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CR2025 = Diameter: 20 mm. Thickness: 2.5 mm. Capacity: 160 mAh,
CR2032 = Diameter: 20 mm. Thickness: 3.2 mm. Capacity: 220 mAh

.7mm(a little less than 1/32 inch) difference in thickness and 60 more mAh, 38% more capacity to be correct. I'll take the chance!

fotajoye said:
CR2025 = Diameter: 20 mm. Thickness: 2.5 mm. Capacity: 160 mAh,
CR2032 = Diameter: 20 mm. Thickness: 3.2 mm. Capacity: 220 mAh

.7mm(a little less than 1/32 inch) difference in thickness and 60 more mAh, 38% more capacity to be correct. I'll take the chance!
As I said, you got lucky.
And I'm happy for you, but advocating that people try using the CR2032 is overall BAD advice. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I tried it in mine because someone else in another fob battery thread said it would work and the Dollar Tree only had the CR2032, and the thickness was too much, and only one of the buttons would work at all, the rest would not work at all. :oops: :cry: :oops: :cry:
I was lucky that it did not damage my fob. Some others have not been that lucky, and the fob did not work as well after they tried it.
You should be ashamed of yourself for continuing to propagate the bad advice on MNL of trying the CR2032 in the fob. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Also, the fob battery should be changed as soon as you notice the low fob battery warning. As I posted in another fob battery thread (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=11471#p264737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), I waited a long time on changing the battery in a 2009 Altima fob, and that fob is still barely functional even if you put a brand new battery in it every two months.
Change the LEAF fob battery as soon as you get the warning, and use the correct CR2025 fob battery :!: :!: :!:
Replacement fobs are just too expensive to take chances with it.

@Tim Lee:
Please read my posts and not assume things. I am not advocating using another battery, I am presenting facts which is what I learned over a long career as an EE.

As to your battery problem: Did you install it correctly, did you check the voltage under load? Was the battery mis-marked? You appear to be predisposed to making wrong assumptions. Perhaps you did so again in you fault analysis of your FOB battery problem.

As far as being ashamed, I quit doing that when I reached 35, 45 years ago.

I think to end this nonsense, you use the battery you want and I'll use the one I want. Others can make up their minds based on the facts, hopefully not assumptions presented.

@fotajoye:
I accidentally purchased a CR2032 battery for my keyfob and realized it was the wrong size only after I popped open the keyfob. Figured I might as well try and see at this point, well I found that it actually fit just fine - so it worked for me as well. :D Of course, due to manufacturing tolerances the standard disclaimer applies: YMMV.

I do remote starter for 3 Nissan dealers and I take the fobs apart almost every day.

Nissan used to use 2025's but they now use 2032's in all remotes from the factory and when they replace batteries in the older remotes they use. 2032's

This 7 page thread can be closed!

Personally i replace my battery every few months . I like full having full range. They are a dollar. Call me crazy!

Interesting Side Note:
Keeping a spare fob in the car.

I keep a cut key in my wallet (its flat) to get into the car. Then I have a FOB hidden in the car to start so I dont get stuck if I loose my FOB.

You can wrap the FOB in tin foil & stash it someplace inside the car. It will not be able to communicate when wrapped in foil.

BE CAREFUL - dont forget to change the battery in the spare every 2 years or so as you do the other FOBS.

Goodtohave said:
...Nissan used to use 2025's but they now use 2032's in all remotes from the factory and when they replace batteries in the older remotes they use. 2032's

This 7 page thread can be closed!
That may be what you are doing.
But a properly installed 2032 battery in a 2011 key fob did not work and could have easily damaged the key fob.

You are working at a dealership, that will fix doing something stupid.

Individuals do not have your dealership backing them Up. :!:

BooKittyLeaf said:
Interesting Side Note:
Keeping a spare fob in the car.

I keep a cut key in my wallet (its flat) to get into the car. Then I have a FOB hidden in the car to start so I dont get stuck if I loose my FOB.

You can wrap the FOB in tin foil & stash it someplace inside the car. It will not be able to communicate when wrapped in foil.

BE CAREFUL - dont forget to change the battery in the spare every 2 years or so as you do the other FOBS.
Good idea.
If you elect to spend the $ to get more fobs, buying a spare fob and key and keeping the key in you wallet or purse and the spare fob hidden inside the LEAF with no battery in it is a very good idea.
The built in RFID will allow you to start the LEAF with it in close proximity of the Start button.
Excellent idea.
Just hide the fob well.

Sadly, I did not even know the warning was a warning. I just thought it was an "upgrade" that now told me how much charge I had left in my fob. Since the black covered most of the area up to the F, I figured I was still pretty close to Full.

Experienced the inability to get in the car a few weeks ago. Eventually clicking it worked, but car wouldn't start. I must have gotten the fob close enough to the button for the RFID to work because eventually it turned on.

This AM, same issue. Got the backup fob and it worked fine.

Will get new batteries 2025 or 2032, whichever is cheaper, and replace both. My "software upgrade" will likely go away after that. :)

NOTE: Just tried, and an eyeglass screwdriver seems to work pretty well (with the key out) to pry open the seem around the fob to replace the battery. I didn't open it all the way up, just separated it enough to see that it could be done.

Got 2 2032s at Dollar Tree for $1. (Actually, got 4 for $2.)

Replaced the usual and the backup.

Notification went away.

All seems to be well. Thanks to this forum for helping me find the right battery at the right price.

I've been getting the low battery warning on my fob for the last month?? so I finally decided to replace the batt before it got too low as to not work. I had both the correct cr2025 and the larger capacity cr2032. I figured I'd give the 2032 a shot since the original 2025 only lasted me 1.5 years, although going off when the car was made it made 27 months.
I did have a bit of a time getting the two halves to snap together, I ended up having to first snap one side closed and then I was able to just barley get the other side to completely close. I'm a bit worried about how they'll separate the next time I need to replace the battery as it did make a rather loud "click" when it finally closed. Time will tell and when the time comes I'll update this thread with how it went. All buttons seem to work just fine although truthfully I never use them, I always push the door handle button to lock and unlock the car and use the interior button to open the charge door, the fob just sits in my pocket untouched.

Here are some specs on the batteries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CR2032_battery
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/cr2025.pdf
note they differ by thickness and capacity.
After reading the posts, there appears to be some problem batteries...one would want to use a high quality fresh product for the installation. Perhaps even check that the voltage is 3 volts before using
I replaced the battery with a CR2032 in my fob and it has been working fine in my 2011 car for three years.

Model of the battery type are exact dimensions of the battery :D
CR2032 is 20mm diameter 3.2mm thick
Guess the other one :lol:

Tesla EV uses 18650 cells. 18mm diameter and 650mm length.
Leaf uses Harry Potter books. Measured in pages.

mwalsh said:
planet4ever said:
Or $1.00 apiece as my wife proved to me by getting one at a place I thought I would never go to -- Dollar Tree.
Ray

I love Dollar Tree! :)

I used Dollar Tree (Sunbeam brand) CR2032s in my wife's Volt fobs. They only lasted a year, but I did get two for my dollar. I rarely see CR2025s available in the Dollar Tree stores local to me (only one time).

I dropped by Advance Auto Parts and they had fresh EverReady 2025 in a two pack for $4 with a use by date of 2024. Thumb nail opened the fobs just fine and we replaced the original circa 2013 OEM Sony batteries in both fobs of my 2014 Leafs in a few moments and verified they worked before I left the store. I should be good for another 2 years at $1 per year per fob. Just remember to keep the fobs away from your cell phone or other WiFi/Bluetooth devices and fresh quality batteries should last for years.

I was also told by a Nissan Dealer parts department that a CR2032 would fit and work where a CR2025 was used. they stated it was only a few mm thicker... and are cheaper to get.. I stock maxell CR2032 that I pay $0.99 each.

Parts007 said:
I was also told by a Nissan Dealer parts department that a CR2032 would fit and work where a CR2025 was used. they stated it was only a few mm thicker... and are cheaper to get.. I stock maxell CR2032 that I pay $0.99 each.
It does fit but I'm not sure I'd advertise it as a good solution for everyone. I did it but it was extremely hard to get both halves to snap back together either on my 3 or 4 button remote, can't remember right now but I do remember one style just barely snapped together while the other took even more pressure. Yes it's only a fraction of a inch(.098" for a 2025 and .126" for a 2032) but the remote is built to pretty close tolerances. I only plan on using the 2032 but again I'm not sure I'd advertise it as a positive match :)

2032 is 20mm in diameter and 3.2mm in thickness. 2025 is 20mm in diameter and 2.5mm in thickness.
So the difference is 0,7mm. Metric system is that easy :)

Tesla uses 18650 cell, those are 18mm in diameter and 65.0mm in height. Gigafactory will make 21700, so 21mm and 70.0 mm.

Just saying. It is easier to know how things work rather than ask again with 2016 vs 2025 cells :D

I wouldn't push 2032 cell if it goes with huge force. Depends, haven't tried really.
2032 has significantly more capacity due to extra thickness. A third more.

Back