Official smart fortwo electric drive thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone out in CO, cheap entry to a 2nd EV with < 400 miles on a '13 smart ED.

This one is bare bones and perhaps not great for winter months (no heated seats) but a nice local commuter companion to your LEAF if you're looking for one.

Still requires the 'battery rental' aspect for all smart ED's and with used LEAF's perhaps at the same or even lower, just to be different!

Don't see too many smart ED's (used or otherwise) so worth posting ...

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/5168033776.html

Smart ForTwo Electric Drive goes out of production ...

Next-generation model slated to arrive in the second half 2016

(kind of expected ... latest autotrader 'new' car smart ED look up shows about 228 so perhaps a few month or so supply on dealer lots; some of these could be owner orders but not yet delivered but a decent judge of the current pipeline; I'm sure MBZ wants these all gone prior to the next model; same predicament for GM/Chevy and the next gen Volt)

http://www.worldcarfans.com/115082098010/smart-fortwo-electric-drive-goes-out-of-production

Yet another use for your smart ED; of course this is already done in Japan with JDM LEAF's as the story noted but it's still pretty cool on the positive spin about using it as a backup power supply source ...

http://driving.ca/smart/fortwo-electric-drive/auto-news/news/ev-to-the-rescue

man_plugs_into_electric_vehicle.jpg

I don't think this is about the ED version, but I found this to be a pretty clever Smart ForTwo ad:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prvu4RifEQ0[/youtube]

RegGuheert said:
I don't think this is about the ED version, but I found this to be a pretty clever Smart ForTwo ad:
That ad was shown in the Bay Area and other places at least two years ago, so I'm somewhat surprised if it's only now showing up in your area.

Wannabeleafowner said:
Angelas new (as of August) ride.

I get the impression that the battery must be rented in the USA. Yes/no. Seems weird. We are Canadian so they all come with a battery. <snip>
Battery rental is an option in the U.S., not mandatory. When it was introduced, some high % of customers were opting for it - it's probably upthread somewhere. Edit: Found an ievs article from about June 2015, where Smart reported that of the first 60 sold/leased in the U.S., 53 or ~ 90% had opted for the battery lease.

Not sure if this used one includes the battery; if so, its about half of the going retail for these; we've all seen rampant depreciation on EV's but a 2015 smart ED with only 9,000 miles going for less than $10K ($9,750) is unreal ...

No mention of 'battery rental', etc. in the listing but, always better to check ... if this one is for real, someone looking for a cheap 2nd EV or local commuter in ATL might be worthwhile to check it out

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/5304437101.html

redLEAF said:
Blog from one who has owned one for 1/2 a year; does better than the 68 miles of EPA estimated range (at least in moderate temps) with lots of utility ...
I'm 10 months into my Smart ED experience and agree completely that in moderate temps 80 miles is easy to hit and 100 is possible with careful driving with plenty of 45 mph speeds and only a couple of white knuckles. Unfortunately, in San Antonio temps aren't 'moderate' for much of the year. A more typical city experience was last night's trip for some Christmas shopping at a local sports/fitness store. It was 45°F, the car was fully charged, the outer ring road required speeds of at least 65, and a three car collision forced a detour to an alternate store. I got home with 4% charge remaining after traveling 42 miles.

Aside from the range hit caused by both heat and AC, and the very unreliable telematics server(s) at the 'Benz mothership, I'm loving the car.

I saw the next generation Smart Fortwo at the LA Auto Show. The "ED" version wasn't on display but the associate told me that they would be available starting in April. No further details.

Either she is very wrong (though as soon as the word "electric" came out of my mouth, she gave her reply), or MBUSA changed its mind and decided to release the car a year early.

With all the other companies releasing Gen 1.5 batteries to reach triple digit ranges, ISTM that the one car type that would most benefit from such an upgrade but probably wouldn't want much more would be commuter/urban cars like the Smart, yet I haven't seen any rumors yet. Has anyone?

GRA said:
With all the other companies releasing Gen 1.5 batteries to reach triple digit ranges, ISTM that the one car type that would most benefit from such an upgrade but probably wouldn't want much more would be commuter/urban cars like the Smart, yet I haven't seen any rumors yet. Has anyone?

I have seen but now cannot locate disturbing quotes from MB saying 'owners report current range is fine'.

edit: found it. From January, 2016
Dr. Annette Winkler said:
Our customers are telling us that they are fully satisfied with the range they have today
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/q-a-dr-annette-winkler-smart-automobile-ceo-and-director/

jhm614 said:
GRA said:

I have seen but now cannot locate disturbing quotes from MB saying 'owners report current range is fine'.

edit: found it. From January, 2016
Dr. Annette Winkler said:
Our customers are telling us that they are fully satisfied with the range they have today
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/q-a-dr-annette-winkler-smart-automobile-ceo-and-director/
Thanks. As a purely urban car I can see that the range might be okay, but for someone who commutes in from further out, the range seems to be deficient, at least in the U.S. Maybe they figure suburban owners are going to buy Bolts etc. anyway, as space isn't critical at home. Where a car like the Smart really shines is with on-street parking (at least until parking lots and garages start offering variably-priced spaces depending on size), and unless you've got curbside charging an EV isn't going to work for you.

We are just about a year with our smart ED. Fantastic car. But gotta say. Anything better than 100 solid highway miles would kinda be a waste most of the time for us. Around town we are easily north of 75 miles and probably at 90. Of course in Canada here we are using kilometers. Around town we can get north of 150 Km and still have 10 percent left. However, not on the highway. So maybe go from the existing 19 KW battery to a 25 KW battery and it would be more than we would ever need. Having said that, we will probably replace our last diesel burner with a 2018 nissan leaf because of a 200 mile (300 km) range. Different purpose.

JMHO

Back