DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone seen a charging station at Grapevine Mills Mall? According to a guy at EVGo that I was talking to, they have one there now. I looked on EVGo's website and did not see it on their map. I also don't see it on plugshare or Pipecil's custom map either. I do not know even what kind of station it is, QC or level-2. I'm thinking about taking a drive up there this weekend to see if I can find it and put it on the plugshare, at least.

Well, since nobody knew the answer I decided to go have a look myself yesterday evening. I drove to Grapevine Mills and drove around for nearly 20 minutes before I found the chargers. They are between H&M and Neiman Marcus. And Wow! They have 5 stations and one of them is a Chademo station. This may very well be the largest installation of charging stations I've seen anywhere in DF/W. It looks like something I see in photos from California. I'm impressed! Oh, and I added them to plugshare with some photos.

Great news, and thanks for the scouting report. While Grapevine Mills is within single-charge range of my house, I may still use the stations there in the winter.

adric22 said:
Well, since nobody knew the answer I decided to go have a look myself yesterday evening. I drove to Grapevine Mills and drove around for nearly 20 minutes before I found the chargers. They are between H&M and Neiman Marcus. And Wow! They have 5 stations and one of them is a Chademo station. This may very well be the largest installation of charging stations I've seen anywhere in DF/W. It looks like something I see in photos from California. I'm impressed! Oh, and I added them to plugshare with some photos.

We visited there today, and it is WONDERFUL! There is one high speed charger and several (2 or 3) slow speed (Level 2) chargers.
Your directions are exact. We are not familiar with this mall, so for others like us.....Grapevine Mills Pkwy. crosses over Hwy. 121 just north of the North exit of DFW Airport. Exit onto Grapevine Mills Pkwy. For those coming west on LBJ (I-635), bear right at the intersection of 121 and 635, you will curve right, look at the overhead signs for Grapevine Mills Pkwy., and you will cross over 121. Either way, at the first traffic light turn left to make a U-turn, and then take the first right into the mall. Look for Golden Corral on your left, and Neimans is to your right. The station is in the parking lot up close to H&M. There are no big signs, but you should be able to see the chargers (they are about 4 feet high, and NOT the giant EVgo Freedom station size).
They were turned on last weekend!
This location is ideal for high speed charge for those using DFW, going shopping, or grabbing a bite.

I'm in southern Oklahoma and would love to get to DFW every once and awhile. My only hope is the Whitesboro Chevy Dealer. Does anyone know how friendly they are to leafs?

mayo said:
I'm in southern Oklahoma and would love to get to DFW every once and awhile. My only hope is the Whitesboro Chevy Dealer. Does anyone know how friendly they are to leafs?

I am in the OKC metro and am planning on buying a Leaf this year. Partner has family in southern Oklahoma. What's the charging situation like? Is there anywhere we could top off? The drive is 100 miles and while we can charge at the house upon arrival, that's pushing the limits of the car. I'd like to know if we can stop at a level 2 charger anywhere along the way.

spriteking2012 said:
I am in the OKC metro and am planning on buying a Leaf this year. Partner has family in southern Oklahoma. What's the charging situation like? Is there anywhere we could top off? The drive is 100 miles and while we can charge at the house upon arrival, that's pushing the limits of the car. I'd like to know if we can stop at a level 2 charger anywhere along the way.

Try plugshare.com, it is a very robust map of charging points.

We received an email from Nissan saying that over 30,000 Leaf's have been sold in the U.S., and "have you seen more Leafs on the road?". YES!! On Saturday morning, I saw a charcoal Leaf driving north on Preston near St. Mark's school. Yesterday, we stopped at the Walgreen's at Montfort and Belt Line for our Freedom Station quick charge, only to find a Leaf there. (fortunate he drove off before things got ugly. THEN at the Tom Thumb grocery in Preston Forest yesterday, there was a Glacier White Leaf parked directly in front of me. (I gave the driver a thumbs up, and complimented him on having GREAT taste in cars).

There are a lot more Leafs in DFW.

Last week I visited North Central Ford, immediately South of Campbell on the south side (west side)
Of Central Expressway in Richardson. There are TWO Level two chargers on the building marked North Central Ford Service. There is a third Level two charger inside of the Service Bay.

Enjoy Life.

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 2015 Leaf in Colorado and within a month of owning it I've moved to the DFW area.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on electricians in the Grand Prairie area for installing the needed power in my garage for a L2 charger? I already received the free L2 charger.

My primary breaker box which is already in the garage is full, but I have a 2nd breaker box right below the main due to having a SolarCity solar panel installation. Does anyone know if it's likely that that breaker box could be used for the needed 240v 40amp circuit?

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows the estimated costs to have this done and if there are any installation cost rebate program out there? I found one which reimburses 50% of the cost in Austin, but I'm not finding anything in the DFW area.

Thanks,
John

Big news for DFW Leafers! The (2) EVSE's by City Hall downtown have been REPLACED with (2) ChargePoint EVSE's, and they are still free! Long story short: I've been trying to get one of the (old) ones fixed for over a year, and after receiving an email last week saying "parts on order", I thought I would make a trip down to the Dallas Farmer's Market to check status. To my surprise there were (2) NEW EVSE's...and (after I plugged in) both were in use by Leaf's! Now you no longer need a "special" FOB to charge; a simple ChargePoint card will do!

The one on the left works fine for charging, but will not talk to the ChargePoint app. I live in the neighborhood and walk over to the station once I see the Charging Activity kW graph bounce off the Y axis. That indicator does not work for the left one. You will get a steady 5 kW until 92%. It also means it will not register in use, meaning you might make wasted trip to find both in use. The station on the right is fine. Both stations work ok for charging. You also get a little shade before 11 AM. After 11 AM your Leaf will bake in the sun.
Remember that the rest of the lot is metered and usually full during workday. I have never seen a non-PEV in the slots, day or night. You can only use the two slots if CHARGING. As minimum, you better have a L2 plug in your port. If charging stopped, and City Hall gave Parking a CP card to check status, or the Done/Receipt light is on, you could get an expensive ticket.

Vaggeto said:
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 2015 Leaf in Colorado and within a month of owning it I've moved to the DFW area.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on electricians in the Grand Prairie area for installing the needed power in my garage for a L2 charger? I already received the free L2 charger.

My primary breaker box which is already in the garage is full, but I have a 2nd breaker box right below the main due to having a SolarCity solar panel installation. Does anyone know if it's likely that that breaker box could be used for the needed 240v 40amp circuit?

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows the estimated costs to have this done and if there are any installation cost rebate program out there? I found one which reimburses 50% of the cost in Austin, but I'm not finding anything in the DFW area.

Thanks,
John

John:
When we leased our Model S 2 years ago, we were contacted by the EVgo folks (http://www.nrgevgo.com) about a home unit. The rep was VERY honest and patient with our questions. He said that NRG use licensed certified folks to install and they offered to upgrade our fusebox (which is 50+ years old). Give them a call.

https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=354
http://www.dfwcleancities.org/NDEW

The Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) Clean Cities Coalition is excited to be planning the DFW event for National Drive Electric Week!

This year’s DFW event will be held on Saturday, September 19, from 10:00am to 2:00pm in section 2C (between Neiman Marcus Last Call and Saks Off 5th) of the Grapevine Mills Mall parking lot.

10:00 am – Event Opening!
Electric vehicle (EV) manufacturers, charging infrastructure retailers, EV fleet representatives, North Texas environmental and electric vehicle advocacy organizations, and even an electricity-powered bicycle company will be set up and ready to answer all of your questions!

Additionally, start your day behind the wheel of an all-electric car! The Nissan Ride and Drive opportunity starts as soon as we do.

Exhibitors and Ride and Drives will be available throughout the entire event.

11:00 am – EV Check-In
All North Texas electric and plug-in electric vehicle owners are called to join the largest gathering of EVs in North Central Texas! Check in to get your EV Owner badge and show off your ride.

11:30 am – Official EV Count
It won’t be an official record, but it will surely be one for the books! Let’s show everyone how DFW does EV!

12:00 pm – The Car Guy Show
Tim Miller and crew, from DFW’s own The Car Guy Show will be on site to profile the event, talk to owners, and explore the world of EVs.

1:00 pm – Nissan Giveaway Drawing: Free LEAF for a Weekend!
All attendees will be entered into a drawing to win a weekend with a Nissan Leaf. Stick around to see if you’re the lucky winner.

2:00 pm – Event Ends
The event wraps up and the packing up process begins. Thank you to everyone who attended and participated!

Additional activities throughout the event will include hands on displays for all ages to learn more about EVs and charging options, along with entertainment, snacks, and giveaways.

How to Make DFW’s National Drive Electric Week Even Better
Register for the event!
If you drive an EV, bring it (and register it for the event, too)!
RSVP to the Facebook event .
Bring your friends! You can help us get the word out and let other North Texans experience the joys of Driving Electric. Share the Facebook event, and use the hashtags #texasEV, #NDEW2015, and #DFWCCC to let everyone know you’re attending!

Registered Attendees

There are currently 274 attendees registered.

Expected Plug-In Vehicles

Vehicle Registered
Tesla Model S 24
Nissan LEAF 23
Chevrolet Volt 14
BMW i3 5
BMW i3 REx 3
Ford Focus Electric 2
Ford Fusion Energi 2
Tesla Roadster 2
Toyota Plug-in Prius 2
Cadillac ELR 1
EV Conversion 1
Fisker Karma 1
Ford C-MAX Energi 1
Mitsubishi i 1
Other Plug-In Vehicle 1
15 Models 83
Registered attendees report 1,395,444 electric miles driven.

Postcard_v3_Page_7.jpg

https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=354
http://www.dfwcleancities.org/NDEW

It's going to be great fun!

The 113 EVs registered so far have driven more than 2 MILLION all-electric miles. We have over 400 registered guests and the location at Grapevine Mills means we can expect to see many people who want to learn more about the benefits of driving electric!

I've just lost my 4th capacity bar on my 2011 LEAF. Has anyone had experience with Dallas dealerships for the warranty battery replacement? I would prefer to take it somewhere that has a clue about the process.

58phil said:
I've just lost my 4th capacity bar on my 2011 LEAF. Has anyone had experience with Dallas dealerships for the warranty battery replacement? I would prefer to take it somewhere that has a clue about the process.

Congrats: please post your "vitals" (like AHr/miles) in the bar loss threads.
Nissan McKinney has done them before, and I will be taking mine there.

58phil said:
Don Davis in Arlington did mine but that was a while ago...

Back