Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a totally different note; anyone from Chicagoland planning on going to the National Drive Electric Week events in either Naperville or Rockford? I've sent a note off to the organizers of the Naperville event to see if they plan for L2/L3 charging as I'm sure more would attend if they knew that they could make the R/T without running out of 'juice'; this event is about 72 miles R/T for me so may be possible without but close, the Rockford one is 110 miles R/T (and unfortunately, doesn't have anyone signed up yet so must have just been added) so was out of the question without access to charging.

https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=487

https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=491

Another one, that has even a more interesting list of EV people signed up is in Madison, WI ... that one would require a charge stop on the way up and back (120 miles EACH WAY) ... if I only had a Tesla

https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=333

redLEAF said:
On a totally different note; anyone from Chicagoland planning on going to the National Drive Electric Week events in either Naperville or Rockford? I've sent a note off to the organizers of the Naperville event to see if they plan for L2/L3 charging as I'm sure more would attend if they knew that they could make the R/T without running out of 'juice'; this event is about 72 miles R/T for me so may be possible without but close, the Rockford one is 110 miles R/T (and unfortunately, doesn't have anyone signed up yet so must have just been added) so was out of the question without access to charging.

Another one, that has even a more interesting list of EV people signed up is in Madison, WI ... that one would require a charge stop on the way up and back (120 miles EACH WAY) ... if I only had a Tesla

I am planning to attend the one on Sunday September 20th (The Main, non-press event.) I am hoping they have a BMW i3 there though like they did last year. The list is getting better though since I last checked. I might go to the press event on the 13th too if I have time. If Gerald Nissan of Naperville is smart, they would open their dealerships CHAdeMO and J1772 stations up to the public that day since they are RIGHT NEXT to the test track where the event will be held. Otherwise there is Bill Jacobs BMW nearby and a Free L2 at Community Christian Church according to PlugShare.

djkjmuoh said:
redLEAF said:

I am planning to attend the one on Sunday September 20th (The Main, non-press event.) I am hoping they have a BMW i3 there though like they did last year. The list is getting better though since I last checked. I might go to the press event on the 13th too if I have time. If Gerald Nissan of Naperville is smart, they would open their dealerships CHAdeMO and J1772 stations up to the public that day since they are RIGHT NEXT to the test track where the event will be held. Otherwise there is Bill Jacobs BMW nearby and a Free L2 at Community Christian Church according to PlugShare.

Good to know that that there may be EV charging fairly close but I've reached out to the Naperville organizer to see if they plan to offer at the event itself; most dealers I would suspect would have their chargers shut off and/or behind a locked gate on Sunday's; will update this thread with any responses ...

redLEAF said:
djkjmuoh said:
redLEAF said:

Good to know that that there may be EV charging fairly close but I've reached out to the Naperville organizer to see if they plan to offer at the event itself; most dealers I would suspect would have their chargers shut off and/or behind a locked gate on Sunday's; will update this thread with any responses ...

Would be sweet if they had it on-site but as far as I know, they did not last year. I do know that Al Piemonte Nissan's L3 charger is not behind locked gates in Melrose Park, IL (even on Sundays and/or after business hours). Their L2 chargers are however... furthermore Star Nissan on Touhy Ave in Niles area has been open at random off-hour times. That gives me some hope! :)

Speaking of public chargers ... while I've never really had a need for one, we recently had to have our concrete driveway replaced so it will make my home garage L2 charger inaccessible for at least the next several days. It appears that there are indeed some new ones being put up; not terribly expensive (appears they run about $2/hr) but obviously much more than my 6.9 cents/kWh flat rate. I was going to even try a QC station as my '12 SL has one but it appears most within range still aren't working -- looks like Harper College has 2 L2's that had some recent positive reviews. Anyone else care to share some positive feedback on any others in the NW 'burbs (Palatine / Hoffman Estates / Schaumburg / Barrington / Inverness, etc.) ? Has to be fairly close to these areas because we would see how long it needs and leave it for other errands and return once its done over this weekend --- have re-activated my 'ChargePoint' account with a payment type so hopefully just a card swipe will make these work

redLEAF said:
Speaking of public chargers ... while I've never really had a need for one, we recently had to have our concrete driveway replaced so it will make my home garage L2 charger inaccessible for at least the next several days. It appears that there are indeed some new ones being put up; not terribly expensive (appears they run about $2/hr) but obviously much more than my 6.9 cents/kWh flat rate. I was going to even try a QC station as my '12 SL has one but it appears most within range still aren't working -- looks like Harper College has 2 L2's that had some recent positive reviews. Anyone else care to share some positive feedback on any others in the NW 'burbs (Palatine / Hoffman Estates / Schaumburg / Barrington / Inverness, etc.) ? Has to be fairly close to these areas because we would see how long it needs and leave it for other errands and return once its done over this weekend --- have re-activated my 'ChargePoint' account with a payment type so hopefully just a card swipe will make these work

PlugShare is usually the best source of this information. If you are on the ChargePoint network then their app will typically tell you if the charger is in use or not. Most of the fast chargers have been updated by EvGO and the equipment is so much better in terms of the big heavy plug that goes into the car.

brianchi73 said:
redLEAF said:

PlugShare is usually the best source of this information. If you are on the ChargePoint network then their app will typically tell you if the charger is in use or not. Most of the fast chargers have been updated by EvGO and the equipment is so much better in terms of the big heavy plug that goes into the car.

Agreed, the PlugShare app is by far THE best when looking for public charging stations. I highly recommend using it and adding informational "check-ins" and even pictures when possible. That is how people find the stations, know that they are working, and plan ahead. I use it all the time and am surprised when I see that there are people like you RedLeaf who have had their LEAF much longer than me but really don't know much about public charging. Goes to show me that there really are different types of users out there! I feel like I am the master of finding/using free stations all over the Chicagoland area... both L2 and L3 stations!

djkjmuoh said:
brianchi73 said:
redLEAF said:

Agreed, the PlugShare app is by far THE best when looking for public charging stations. I highly recommend using it and adding informational "check-ins" and even pictures when possible. That is how people find the stations, know that they are working, and plan ahead. I use it all the time and am surprised when I see that there are people like you RedLeaf who have had their LEAF much longer than me but really don't know much about public charging. Goes to show me that there really are different types of users out there! I feel like I am the master of finding/using free stations all over the Chicagoland area... both L2 and L3 stations!

OK, looks like iOS has the PlugShare app so I'll give it a shot ... last check on the one I'm looking at was on 9/1 and 9.0 rating; I'll be sure to add mine if we end up using it; just like some EV drivers who never go for an L2 EVSE install at home, we adapt to what works best for us ... I'm sure I've amortized the cost (thanks to the 50% IL EPA EVSE rebate) of my charger by now so may use these public ones perhaps a bit more often -- thanks

Appreciate the offer 'r1234567' but wanted to at least 'try' one of these public stations so I could at least say I've used one ... it also turned out that Harper College was the site for the annual British Car Festival so my need to do a charge and attend the show worked out well.

First, the charger appeared to be in good working order, but at first could not get the ChargePoint card to activate it, so called the 800 number and within a minute or so, they activated it and was charging --- not sure how much these get used but luckily it being a bit cool outside, a bunch of hornets only fell out of the 'nozzle' as I was plugging in and fell harmlessly to the ground (still alive but lethargic). It seems this year, there were a bit fewer cars at the event, ideal weather though but funny to see the tell tale droplets of oil on the parking lot (some bigger than others) from a number of really old British cars. The lone EV (a converted Triumph Spitfire) was there again; my favorite again was the new Jaguar F-type; this year they only had a lone dealer demo F-type R convertible than would run you about $120K all told; my preference is the new coupe but they did have some mid-60's XKE coupes so you could see the versatility of the rear (although quite small) side hinged hatch to a bit more storage; this lends itself for long trips. Tons of MGB's in all stages of tune (a few with V8's) which was expected simply based on the volumes sold versus Triumph's, etc. as well as pretty much all makes and models (including a few Delorean's; people forget these were made in Northern Ireland).

Spitfire%20EV%204.jpg

Still no response from the organizer on the National Drive Electric event in Naperville; will assume it's a 'no' to charging at that event but if that changes will add the response here ... PS -- there was one other red LEAF in the parking lot at Harper, didn't run into the owner but their EL plate was in the mid to high 200's range so a very early to Chicago LEAF owner. Also, a new Alpha Romeo 4C from WI; first one I've seen in the wild ... worth adding a quick photo here as there are very few in the U.S. to speak of.

IMG_0266.JPG

Any advice for a 2012 Leaf that's at the end of its 39 month lease? Nissan is offering for me to skip 2 payments if I keep it for another 24 to 36 months. I heard that they stand to lose about $5,000 per car, so I didn't take the deal as I didn't think it was generous enough. I mean they could at least throw in no charge to charge or something like that. The $500 I'll save will be eaten up with new tires anyway.

Yesterday I got a call from Martin Nissan (where I did the original lease) and they are offering something like $199 for a Leaf S with $2,000 down and end my lease 3 months early. I'm not interested in an S and want an SV or SL, so they are supposed to figure out those #s and e-mail me (they haven't btw). I know that the 2016 will have an extended range for the SV and SL, so I assume that dealers are trying to dump their 2015 models. What I don't know is how will the lease offers be on the 2016?

So any advice? Has anyone leased recently and what kind of a deal did you get? My closest dealer is Evanston Autobarn, and I've heard that they can make some really good deals, but I haven't talked to them yet.

brianchi73 said:
Any advice for a 2012 Leaf that's at the end of its 39 month lease? Nissan is offering for me to skip 2 payments if I keep it for another 24 to 36 months. I heard that they stand to lose about $5,000 per car, so I didn't take the deal as I didn't think it was generous enough. I mean they could at least throw in no charge to charge or something like that. The $500 I'll save will be eaten up with new tires anyway.

Yesterday I got a call from Martin Nissan (where I did the original lease) and they are offering something like $199 for a Leaf S with $2,000 down and end my lease 3 months early. I'm not interested in an S and want an SV or SL, so they are supposed to figure out those #s and e-mail me (they haven't btw). I know that the 2016 will have an extended range for the SV and SL, so I assume that dealers are trying to dump their 2015 models. What I don't know is how will the lease offers be on the 2016?

So any advice? Has anyone leased recently and what kind of a deal did you get? My closest dealer is Evanston Autobarn, and I've heard that they can make some really good deals, but I haven't talked to them yet.

I've leased two others cars in the past but both were ICE's so doesn't count; even though the other Nissan dealer's are further away from you why not email them as well, it couldn't hurt. My '12 was a straight up cash purchase from McGrath Nissan in Elgin and recently saw some generic snail mail from them 'we want your car' offers to trade up to a new one; it came with 2 $1,000 off MSRP coupons. As LEAF's have seen a pretty huge drop in resale value (perhaps not so much when you factor in the fed tax credit and (at least for me) IL EV cash rebate) I'm not sure what I plan to do but as I own it, I can wait; only concern would be if it gets totaled and the loss I would definitely see in an insurance payout; this is the same problem as cars get older, but its happening sooner with these LEAF's.

Although they probably won't go for it, perhaps seeing if they would offer you just a 12 or 18 month lease extension so you would be coming off the lease about the time that the next gen becomes available? It sounds like they want the same lease payment but are allowing you to just skip 2 payments; that does sound high as it wouldn't be close to what the car is worth now, you would be overpaying for it (although comparing a slightly shorter lease term has to be factored as well as payments are always higher).

Bottom line on all of this -- if the car is in decent shape (no bars lost yet, etc.) and you still enjoy it, then I would put the numbers on a spreadsheet to see if what YOU think would be a fair deal to keep it a bit longer using an extended lease option. I use the same logic when I'm buying a new car; I'd swing by a Carmax to get a wholesale value as an additional data point as well; if your 24 to 36 month lease payments (deducting the 2 skipped ones) exceed that value you're simply paying way too much and it would perhaps be a good negotiation point to start with ... Nissan also is aware of the big drop in value (I'm sure the 'residual' end of lease value is way off on these now) so they may try a bit harder to get you to keep it a bit longer which may work to your advantage.

The advantage you do have is to simply walk away and let them deal with the diminished value ... our LEAF is a commuter (non-essential) car so if we had leased, we could last a few or several months until we saw something we were interested in if we didn't like the deal but everyone's situation is different.

Attended the National Drive Electric Week event yesterday in Naperville and saw this EL plate number worth sharing as well as had a brief discussion with a BMW i3 ReX (EV with gas range extender) owner who happened to also have EL plates ... first that Tesla; I wonder if this owner had a bit of clout with the IL SOS's office or just got lucky?

testla%203456%20b.jpg

On the whole aspect of the unique, lower cost 'EL' plates; some 'pure' EV's at the event had them, some didn't bother (just had regular series plates) so it's still one of those things that isn't well publicized or those who might be buying a $100+K car could care less about (two Teslas's side-by-side, one with one without EL plates). Having the IL SOS 'grant' it to an i3 ReX owner is really perhaps not as big a deal as that i8 owner whose car only gets about 15 miles on electricity and the rest on gas ... its doubtful the IL SOS office is requiring the 'affirmation' form to be filled out any more (we needed to but in late '11 simply because manufactured EV's were just becoming available and they were also using this form for converted EV's) but it still appears on their information site. Why bother bringing it up ... well, for me being a somewhat early EV adopter and having a low 3-digit plate I'd like to keep, once we eventually decide to trade up, etc. it would be nice to know what's specific makes & models its allowed on ... I'm not in to 'reporting' scofflaws as more power to them, its just a curious situation

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/electric_vehicle.html

No time to check out the Rockford or Madison, WI one (yes, I know Madison might be a stretch to include in a Chicagoland thread but its only 2 hours away) but perhaps others did? Added to the main thread for the National Drive Electric Week elsewhere with a story and additional photos so check it out.

redLEAF said:
Attended the National Drive Electric Week event yesterday in Naperville and saw this EL plate number worth sharing as well as had a brief discussion with a BMW i3 ReX (EV with gas range extender) owner who happened to also have EL plates ... first that Tesla; I wonder if this owner had a bit of clout with the IL SOS's office or just got lucky?

testla%203456%20b.jpg

On the whole aspect of the unique, lower cost 'EL' plates; some 'pure' EV's at the event had them, some didn't bother (just had regular series plates) so it's still one of those things that isn't well publicized or those who might be buying a $100+K car could care less about (two Teslas's side-by-side, one with one without EL plates). Having the IL SOS 'grant' it to an i3 ReX owner is really perhaps not as big a deal as that i8 owner whose car only gets about 15 miles on electricity and the rest on gas ... its doubtful the IL SOS office is requiring the 'affirmation' form to be filled out any more (we needed to but in late '11 simply because manufactured EV's were just becoming available and they were also using this form for converted EV's) but it still appears on their information site. Why bother bringing it up ... well, for me being a somewhat early EV adopter and having a low 3-digit plate I'd like to keep, once we eventually decide to trade up, etc. it would be nice to know what's specific makes & models its allowed on ... I'm not in to 'reporting' scofflaws as more power to them, its just a curious situation

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/electric_vehicle.html

No time to check out the Rockford or Madison, WI one (yes, I know Madison might be a stretch to include in a Chicagoland thread but its only 2 hours away) but perhaps others did? Added to the main thread for the National Drive Electric Week elsewhere with a story and additional photos so check it out.

I too attended the Napervile NDEW event yesterday and had a great time. I might have seen your Red Leaf but I'm not sure. I don't tend to pay much attention to the LEAF's since I already drive one and pretty much know everything I need to know about it. I guess I could spend more time chatting up other LEAF'ers about their experiences though. I seem more interested in learning about other's experiences and in their rides compared to mine and also in learning about and driving the EV's I consider a step up from the LEAF, namely the BMW i3 and Tesla.

I brought my dad along as I'm trying to convince him to get an EV, PHEV/EREV for my parents' place in AZ and wanted him to drive a Volt and the i3 as well as check out the Tesla. He did all that and I drove the i3 and an i-MiEV as well. I met some very nice people, took some pics (see below if it links up right) and even drove to the nearby Nissan Dealer to check out the CHAdeMo connector, which works as I demonstrated after helping the i-MiEV drivers that also stopped by after. Good times!

https://instagram.com/p/74KHSDuAC8/?taken-by=dj_kj

brianchi73 said:

See Martin at the Autobarn in Evanston and let him know that Tom from Wilmette told you about him.

He's a real Leaf enthusiasts and a man of integrity.

Haven't posted any higher EL series plate sightings in a bit (other than that white Tesla a while back) so this one is worth noting (although perhaps downtown Chicago spotters may have seen some even higher ones)

Yesterday, passed a silver LEAF with IL plate '3637 EL' out in Long Grove area so they've definitely passed the 3,500 level, slowly but surely more and more EV's being registered here; not a 'true' indicator of overall EV volumes as not everyone either opts and even knows about them who buys an EV here (no thanks to some dealers) but glad to see some new owners; perhaps these are re-registered used LEAF's in the secondary market (many are shipped in from auto auctions elsewhere rather than trade-ins') but doesn't matter .. the number is still going up!

Speaking again on plates; this one is just for those who've elected to get the 'EL' EV plates offered in the state of IL; turns out that even though the IL SOS decided not to mail out the renewal notices; you CAN'T renew these 2-year plates online as the alternative they've posted; you'll need to go in-person to an IL SOS location that does plate renewals.

http://ilnews.org/5843/check-your-l...y-of-state-wont-be-sending-renewal-reminders/

I happen to have 2 cars that have plates that expire this December (1 is the LEAF, the other an ICE); they allowed the ICE but their email stated they can't do the EL plate online. I'm assuming it's because its a 2-year renewal plate, so perhaps the RV plates and any others with more than a year-to-year sticker is not yet programmed in, but who knows?; and I just love going to our IL SOS office; don't you?

Hopefully, my local IL SOS office will be used to dealing with these, but we'll see -- I happen to have a few days off in addition to the T-day holiday next week so will see how well this works. And yes, the last renewal for the LEAF came via snail mail as I'm coming up on 4 years with it.

Just a heads up so you don''t get caught with expired plates !!

redLEAF said:
Speaking again on plates; this one is just for those who've elected to get the 'EL' EV plates offered in the state of IL; turns out that even though the IL SOS decided not to mail out the renewal notices; you CAN'T renew these 2-year plates online as the alternative they've posted; you'll need to go in-person to an IL SOS location that does plate renewals.

http://ilnews.org/5843/check-your-l...y-of-state-wont-be-sending-renewal-reminders/

I happen to have 2 cars that have plates that expire this December (1 is the LEAF, the other an ICE); they allowed the ICE but their email stated they can't do the EL plate online. I'm assuming it's because its a 2-year renewal plate, so perhaps the RV plates and any others with more than a year-to-year sticker is not yet programmed in, but who knows?; and I just love going to our IL SOS office; don't you?

Hopefully, my local IL SOS office will be used to dealing with these, but we'll see -- I happen to have a few days off in addition to the T-day holiday next week so will see how well this works. And yes, the last renewal for the LEAF came via snail mail as I'm coming up on 4 years with it.

Just a heads up so you don''t get caught with expired plates !!

Added a new post for an update -- went to the Schaumburg IL SOS and was in and out in about 20 min.; not bad at all. That facility mostly does Driver's License stuff and only had 2 stations for plates but went fine. The clerk was initially a little puzzled and perhaps a bit surprised at how low the fee was ($35 for 2 years) so I had brought the page on these plates in but he trusted what he saw on his screen.

In looking through what they have online I've added these for new reference for those who happen to buy a used LEAF and weren't aware of it as well as those who are newbies to all EV's in general looking at advice on this forum who live in IL:

First the 'EL' series plate fees and schedules:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/electric_vehicle.html

Then, this affirmation form for first time folks; doubt you'll need it for the used ones but may need it if they've never been registered in IL:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/vsd861.pdf

This little bit of extra effort will save you $167 plus you'll renew plates every 2 years instead of annually ... even the newest EL plates numbers are up to a bit over the '36xx EL' so you'll also get something fairly unique

Back