Poll : Number of miles before losing the first bar

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

# of miles before losing the first battery capacity bar

• 0-10,000

Votes: 29 6.8%
  • 10,001-20,000

Votes: 83 19.3%
  • 20,001-30,000

Votes: 117 27.3%
  • 30,001-40,000

Votes: 103 24.0%
  • 40,001-50,000

Votes: 51 11.9%
  • 50,001-60,000

Votes: 18 4.2%
  • 60,001+

Votes: 28 6.5%

• Total voters
lorenfb said:
... Both time & mileage are factors of the Leaf battery degradation
but the contribution of each, given the present data, is unknown.
For the 2011 / 2012 battery a lot of data has been collected, a good model has been developed by Stoaty that appears to accurately model the different contributions to capacity loss.
Your statement is incorrect for the parties that had 2011 / 2012 LEAFs.
See http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss#Battery_Aging_Model" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There does still need to be similar data collection done for 2013, to document how the adjusted chemistry compares to 2011 / 2012.

TimLee said:
lorenfb said:
... Both time & mileage are factors of the Leaf battery degradation
but the contribution of each, given the present data, is unknown.
For the 2011 / 2012 battery a lot of data has been collected, a good model has been developed by Stoaty that appears to accurately model the different contributions to capacity loss.
Your statement is incorrect for the parties that had 2011 / 2012 LEAFs.
See http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss#Battery_Aging_Model" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There does still need to be similar data collection done for 2013, to document how the adjusted chemistry compares to 2011 / 2012.

A longitudinal study of only two years hardly meets most robust academic research methodologies.
Furthermore, most would consider the results as having been fairly intuitive from the onset
and based on the previously done battery research as was referenced in the report linked to.

lorenfb said:
A longitudinal study of only two years hardly meets most robust academic research methodologies.
Furthermore, most would consider the results as having been fairly intuitive from the onset
and based on the previously done battery research as was referenced in the report linked to.
OK.
But that does not make the individual contributions unknown.

lorenfb said:
Feel free to collect your own data and publish your robust academic research here.

I am now at 31,000 miles and still have all twelve bars on the Leaf's gauge. However, for the last 500 miles my Leaf Link app shows 11 bars on the graph while the SOC Leaf Link reading is 12 bars. Does this mean I am about to loose a bar?

Turnover said:
I am now at 31,000 miles and still have all twelve bars on the Leaf's gauge. However, for the last 500 miles my Leaf Link app shows 11 bars on the graph while the SOC Leaf Link reading is 12 bars. Does this mean I am about to loose a bar?
The leaflink app has a display problem on some iphone models where it only draws 11 bars but says 12. Nothing to do with the battery. Bug in the app. on my iphone6+ it draws 11 but on my ipads, iphone 4s it still draws 12.

adspguy said:
Turnover said:
The leaflink app has a display problem on some iphone models where it only draws 11 bars but says 12. Nothing to do with the battery. Bug in the app. on my iphone6+ it draws 11 but on my ipads, iphone 4s it still draws 12.

Thanks Adsguy. I recently upgraded to a 5C iPhone when I noticed this.

Lost my first bar sometime before 14k, after 14 months on my 2013. I have been religious about charging to 80%, and not going below 30%. Charging starts at 5 am when it is typically 40-60 degrees ambient.

I'm in a hot climate (Fresno, CA). At the 12 month check up, Nissan said I was "over 99%" on my battery.

Am glad that this is a leased vehicle, I'll surely be turning it back for the another BEV in 2 years. It has been a great vehicle for me, I love it.

John/Fresno

Lost my first bar today at 46,664 miles on my 2012. Could not be happier with this car. Have only replaced the windshield wipers. Will need tires before winter. That is incredible.
AF1QipPfs4ngnxqC9xr8ilKkYX0B2D12GDRrcApi0mU

Just lost my first bar at 38,800 miles on my 2012 on the far north coast of California. My range is still 60-65 miles for the most part. Love my Leaf, and we will keep it for local driving even though we have a Tesla Model X on order.

My 2012 LEAF lost its first bar last summer with 24,000 miles. Second bar this summer with 32000 miles. I'm hoping this won't be a annual summer event. Also not pleased with the lack of regen. It looks to be at 30%-50% of what it was new. Good thing they didn't cut the power that much.

I noticed my first bar missing on October 5th at 21,302 miles. The car was manufactured January 2013. It spent the first two years in Georgia, and then was shipped out here after auction. Leaf Spy was showing 52.06 AHr, 79% SOH, and 74.56% HX at 96.7% SOC and 21,536 miles on October 11th. I usually charged to 80% for the first six months. I'm now working a new job and charge to 100% on Monday and Thursday mornings, and to 80% the other days. I have charging set to start at 2am daily. This has been a long, hot summer. We were still hitting upper 90's in October.

My 2013 Leaf lost its 1st bar somewhere around 19,000-19,500 miles. I bought it used back around March with ~13,000 miles, previously owned and operated in Dallas. At that time the SOH was 87% where it remained until about 19,000 miles, now I'm about to hit 20,000 miles and the SOH is 83-84%, so a sudden drop in a short time.

My car is just like Yodrak and Baustin. Born Feb '13, used in Houston it's whole life. First bar gone at 18,600 miles, Second gone at 26k, and now third gone at 31k. Headed straight to the 4th soon and a new warranty lizard battery on the horizon.

34 months and 10 days, and 26,435 miles for me. Effectively I probably lost that bar at the end of the last (and very hot) summer, as that top bar would disappear very quickly. I was also noticing that occasionally a 100% charge would only yield me 11 bars.

For more information about miles, years, climate, driving, charging and capacity bars, see the Plug In America LEAF battery survey. There's a paper from 2012 on the results page.

I'm planning to look at the data for a follow-up analysis in the next couple of months, so now would be a great time to send in a report or update.

If you have submitted a report previously, you can use the update form, otherwise use the survey form.

Here's the equivalent graph of odometer readings at the loss of the first capacity bar from the Plug In America LEAF battery survey, with 114 vehicles reporting.

XmitO3i.jpg

Since we don't know anything else about the vehicles in this thread's poll, there's no way to tell how much overlap there is between the two sets of data.

Here's the graph of reported odometers at the loss of the second capacity bar.

GgSl0mW.jpg

Back