Gen 2 Chevrolet Volt PHEV (2016+) MSRP $33,995

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only person who thinks it's bizarre that GM is offering $1,000 off on 2016 Volts, now?! E.G. (via ABG):
Chevy already offering discounts on 2016 Volt
Perks Apply To Both 2016, 2015 Versions In Some Markets
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/20/chevy-already-offering-discounts-on-2016-volt/

Why not just lower the MSRP if you planned to do this from the start? Or is this a reaction to lower gas prices since the Volt's MSRP was announced in May?

Need to give this a test drive. When i bought my leaf the choice boiled down to Volt vs leaf. Vs. the current leaf, i think i would go with this new Volt but won't know until the test drive. But it will be interesting to see how the gen 2 Volt compares to the gen 2 Leaf. Of course, it is a longer range B that i'm dreaming about.

GRA said:
Am I the only person who thinks it's bizarre that GM is offering $1,000 off on 2016 Volts, now?!
Why not just lower the MSRP if you planned to do this from the start? Or is this a reaction to lower gas prices since the Volt's MSRP was announced in May?
It struck me as odd, too. They don't even have a month's worth of sales data yet. My guesses were :

1) Lower pre-orders / dealer orders than projected?

2) Has something to do with 2016 being a very short (3 - 4 month) model year for the Volt? Supposedly the 2017 Volt will begin delivery 'early spring 2016'

I haven't quite wrapped my head around the Volt versus Leaf? Why would someone compare (or want) a gas engine hybrid commuter to an all-electric EV?

sure the "range extender" thing is one thing, but why even consider having another gas engine headache versus no gas or oil. ever. period.

wouldn't one compare ALL hybrid gas cars to other hybrid cars with a gas engine? Say

Volt or Prius?
Energi or Sonata plug-in (wait, is that a real one?)

Then compare yer no-gas-ever cars (excluding Tesla due to starting price):

Leaf or Focus EV
Spark or iMiEV
and so on...

To me it is apples and oranges. either you want to use gasoline sometimes or you don't ever have to use gasoline. different mindsets so not as comparable as everyone thinks?

finman100 said:
I haven't quite wrapped my head around the Volt versus Leaf? Why would someone compare (or want) a gas engine hybrid commuter to an all-electric EV?

sure the "range extender" thing is one thing, but why even consider having another gas engine headache versus no gas or oil. ever. period.

wouldn't one compare ALL hybrid gas cars to other hybrid cars with a gas engine? Say

Volt or Prius?

Leaf or Focus EV
Spark or iMiEV
and so on...

To me it is apples and oranges. either you want to use gasoline sometimes or you don't ever have to use gasoline. different mindsets so not as comparable as everyone thinks?
I certainly cross shopped the Volt and Leaf, and I have a feeling I am not totally unique in that regard. I was looking for lower operating costs than a "gas only" car. They both fit that bill. The 40mile range would almost make it a BEV in my use, so the gas engine maintenance would be much, much less than an ICE only vehicle. Maybe it is apples and oranges, but when you are shopping for some good fruit, they both deserve consideration.

In fact, if the Volt had 5 seats I might have bought one instead. I am glad I bought the Leaf, but a Volt or Energi may still be in my future as our "other" daily driver.

finman100 said:

Volt or Prius?

Leaf or Focus EV
Spark or iMiEV
and so on...

Anyone who has the option to go with a single car for all purposes, and who can't afford a Model S, may cross shop an affordable BEV with a PHEV. If you go with the BEV, you need to keep a second car (or are willing to rent/borrow for any trips). If the PHEV's AER meets your routine daily needs (Volt V2.0 can probably do that for at least 90% of people), then you're saving money by not needing that second car, and need never worry about finding infrastructure on trips, or putting up with delays while charging.

BTW, saw my first Gen 2 last night, a blue one that was parked. Definitely Civic-like from the side, but with a reminder of the Gen1's styling cue aft of the rear wheels. It already had green stickers on it, so the dealer must have pre-ordered them.

finman100 said:
wouldn't one compare ... hybrid cars? Say Volt or Prius? Energi or Sonata plug-in (wait, is that a real one?)

Then compare yer no-gas-ever cars ... Leaf or Focus EV Spark or iMiEV and so on...

To me it is apples and oranges.
Buyers certainly compare the Prius and the Volt, especially with the gen2 Volt's 42 combined mpg on regular gas now. The best thing about EV's is no hassle charging at home, or charging at work instead of getting gasoline. The Volt does that, with the gen1 Volt getting comparable annual EV miles to the Leaf. But public charging is often inconvenient. The local gas station is quicker, more reliable, and available 24/7. So the Volt combines the best of both worlds.

The way I look at it, the gas engine in the Volt is sort of like having my own quick charger that I can use whenever I want.

Having said that, I also have to say the usefulness of an extended range EV becomes less and less viable as battery technology improves. At one point, which is coming faster than I thought, it makes no sense to lug around an ICE when a pure EV can do everything I need.

finman100 said:

Weekend trips and vacations are possible with a PHEV. Almost all my gas miles were on five trips. Most days I never used gas by charging at home or public chargers.
The Volt is an extremely capable and versatile vehicle!

all great responses! I'm spoiled in that I have an incredibly robust charging infrastructure in which to travel (OR and WA). I was ready to go gas-free and love it. My travel area was also ready for gas-free miles, so win win.

Yes, we have that 'second car' to go longer trips. You got me there. Wife loves her PiP for all the reasons listed here.

EVforRobert said:
finman100 said:

Weekend trips and vacations are possible with a PHEV. Almost all my gas miles were on five trips. Most days I never used gas by charging at home or public chargers. The Volt is an extremely capable and versatile vehicle!
I just got back from an extended road trip to Asheville, NC and Nashville, TN. 1500+ miles. Lot of fairly long hills both up and down. 2011 Volt worked outstanding with max regen turned on (L-ow) and Mountain Mode. Stayed at a AirBNB location in Asheville where I charged overnight. Great driving around the area for hikes using quiet electric drive.

Not quite easy in a Tesla yet but pretty close. Will need to take a long drive in the wife's 2016 Volt in another month to see how it cruises.

Current: http://supercharge.info/
GyP5wzY.png

2016 Superchargers - http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger
inifBFm.png

finman100 said:

They compare them because they are direct competitors - environmentally friendlier, efficient, affordable cars. Yes they represent 2 different solutions to the environmentally friendly and affordable challenge with their corresponding pros and cons. But they are competing for the same market so of course they are going to be compared. and when you consider these are the 2 market leaders in that space, it makes even more sense. When comparing the 2 solutions, why not compare the 2 best as identified by market share?

Now there are fanboys who will only consider one solution and poopoo any other ideas. You can read their posts on the boards discussing fuel cell vehicles. When the Mirai is here, you can expect direct comparisons with the Leaf and Volt.

This was well done.

2011 vs 2016 Chevy Volt - A Photo Comparison
By Dustin B. - My EV Perspective Sunday, 18 October 2015

When I test drove the new 2016 Volt, I had the advantage of being very familiar with the 1st generation. Since I understand many of you are not familiar with the car, I have put together a photo comparison which highlights the differences.

http://drwattsonev.blogspot.ca/2015/10/2011-vs-2016-chevy-volt-photo-comparison.html?m=1

scottf200 said:
This was well done.

2011 vs 2016 Chevy Volt - A Photo Comparison
By Dustin B. - My EV Perspective Sunday, 18 October 2015

When I test drove the new 2016 Volt, I had the advantage of being very familiar with the 1st generation. Since I understand many of you are not familiar with the car, I have put together a photo comparison which highlights the differences.

http://drwattsonev.blogspot.ca/2015/10/2011-vs-2016-chevy-volt-photo-comparison.html?m=1
Yes, very useful. I've got to say, having now seen another Gen 2 plus these photos, that while I prefer the interior ergonomics (by sight, haven't sat in it yet) and controls on the Gen 2, I prefer the looks of the gen 1, which is much more distinctive. Especially from the side, Gen 2 looks like a Civic, or pretty much any car with one or more 'Hyundai creases'. This styling trend is really getting out of hand now that everyone is using it - I find the Gen 1 Volt's lines, especially the sides, to be both cleaner and more aggressive looking. But the operational advantages of Gen 2 (AER, better CS mpg plus more power/better accel, Reg. gas, dash with real buttons/knobs, 70/30 split seat etc.) still wins out. I can always live with conventional or even bland styling if the car works better.

Styling is always a matter of personal preference. That said, Honda and company have done a lot of research in designing their cars to appeal to the mass market. While many of us early adopters like the distinctiveness to stand out from the crowd and make our statement, if we want these solutions to really succeed, we need the car companies to make them appealing to the masses. So yes, we should see more models resembling Hondas. But in the big scheme, that is a good thing.

Remember, hybrids began distinctive (Prius/Insight) but are now integrated into many mainstream models. The result is better market penetration for the solution, which should be the goal.

Firetruck41 said:
I certainly cross shopped the Volt and Leaf, and I have a feeling I am not totally unique in that regard. I was looking for lower operating costs than a "gas only" car. They both fit that bill. The 40mile range would almost make it a BEV in my use, so the gas engine maintenance would be much, much less than an ICE only vehicle. Maybe it is apples and oranges, but when you are shopping for some good fruit, they both deserve consideration.

In fact, if the Volt had 5 seats I might have bought one instead. I am glad I bought the Leaf, but a Volt or Energi may still be in my future as our "other" daily driver.
Does the Volt really have less maintenance cost with the gas component part of it? It really feels like taking a gas car and putting batteries into it and less like a electric car with gas backup power. Burning gas is the the least efficient way to charge batteries, so it seems more like the Volt would just be another high MPG gas vehicle that happens to have some batteries on board. I never understood why the Volt isn't simply an electric vehicle with gas for nothing but backup electricity, but from what I read about the hybrid system, the gas engine still drives the car, not just simply make electricity. Seems like added complication to what should be a really simple electric vehicle with a gas backup electric generator on board. Instead you drive +45 miles on battery then you are burning gas again. Folks like to complain about the Leaf range, seems counter-intuitive to drive a vehicle that is barely 2/3 of the range on battery and then basically back to burning gas?

finman100 said:

Volt or Prius?

Leaf or Focus EV
Spark or iMiEV
and so on...

short answer; some people are able to drive the Volt as a nearly pure EV. I know a guy who got a 2012 that only had 35 miles of range (40 on a good day...) and it was over 8 months before his first trip to the gas station

knightmb said:
Firetruck41 said:

Does the Volt really have less maintenance cost with the gas component part of it? It really feels like taking a gas car and putting batteries into it and less like a electric car with gas backup power. Burning gas is the the least efficient way to charge batteries, so it seems more like the Volt would just be another high MPG gas vehicle that happens to have some batteries on board. I never understood why the Volt isn't simply an electric vehicle with gas for nothing but backup electricity, but from what I read about the hybrid system, the gas engine still drives the car, not just simply make electricity. Seems like added complication to what should be a really simple electric vehicle with a gas backup electric generator on board. Instead you drive +45 miles on battery then you are burning gas again. Folks like to complain about the Leaf range, seems counter-intuitive to drive a vehicle that is barely 2/3 of the range on battery and then basically back to burning gas?
Doesn't feel like you know the details of the Volt but just a high level.

I've done 1 oil change in my Volt in 3.5 years because I hit the 2 year mark and not because the Oil Life % indicator was in single digits. I'll change oil a 2nd time in Jan or Feb.

I drive in electric 80% of the time but don't hesitate to do road trips. My typically week uses NO gas and still regularly get over 40 miles on the battery (occasionally charge at home if I'm doing various things on a day).

I drive in (L)ow gear in my volt for 63,000 miles because it does the max regen there. Means I don't actually know when I will have to change my brakes.

Gen 1 & 2 are unique in all PHEVs and hence EREV since it uses the battery to drive the car until it drains. Even on hard throttle or up to 101 MPH speed limit. (exception is cold winter days to warm the battery and cabin more efficiently for a few minutes).

Gen 1 under *most* conditions only uses the electric power to drive the wheels. Sometimes uses the ICE to assist so they could get better mileage ... duh.

Gen 2 uses the ICE however it sees fit to get best mileage ... duh.

DarthPuppy said:
Styling is always a matter of personal preference. That said, Honda and company have done a lot of research in designing their cars to appeal to the mass market. While many of us early adopters like the distinctiveness to stand out from the crowd and make our statement, if we want these solutions to really succeed, we need the car companies to make them appealing to the masses. So yes, we should see more models resembling Hondas. But in the big scheme, that is a good thing.

Remember, hybrids began distinctive (Prius/Insight) but are now integrated into many mainstream models. The result is better market penetration for the solution, which should be the goal.
I've never felt the need to stand out as being that important as an owner, and certainly a 'normal' looking car is an advantage for the mass market. BTW, the 1st gen Prius was an exception as far as starting distinctive; it looked just like an Echo, a bottom of the bin econobox, and people were unlikely to give it a second glance. Toyota is sure going all-in on making the Mirai and 4th Gen Prius distinctive, but at least in my and many other people's eyes they've gone way overboard, taking the highly polarizing 'Juke' approach.

Conventional doesn't have to mean 'boring', as Tesla and Ford (Fusion) have shown; they're both nice albeit conventional looking big sedans (I know, the S is really a hatchback, but it's got a sedan's roof line). I've always thought that the Gen 1 Volt was pretty conventional looking too, but still managed to be distinctive. I just think the Gen 2 is more conventional and less distinctive, if you see what I mean. The Mini and 500 are conventional, nice looking two-box hatches that possess individual character; the Golf (any generation) is a conventional two-box, but almost characterless as far as looks go. Fortunately, it drives a lot more interestingly than it looks.

scottf200 said:
<snip>
Gen 1 & 2 are unique in all PHEVs and hence EREV since it uses the battery to drive the car until it drains. Even on hard throttle or up to 101 MPH speed limit. (exception is cold winter days to warm the battery and cabin more efficiently for a few minutes).
Not unique anymore, unless the i3REx comes on under max accel while there's still sufficient charge.

Back