So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only 8,000 miles on the clock so far .... a 2015 base model. Only 10 months of ownership since purchasing new. Negotiated price down. Then $7,500 from feds (what a scam), $2,500 from the Great State of Texas (unbelievable), and $3,500 from Nissan for the no interest loan (dude!).

Daily commute is 64 miles rt. Usually arrive home with 25 to 27 miles showing on the gage at the end of the day. I find the actual mileage range is very close to 80% what is displayed. Very consistent on this benchmark. Shows 100 to 112 miles when fully charged.

Drive includes about 3/4 of the mileage at 60 to 70 mph. I am not in the slow lane. Air conditioner used more than half the time.

Have only used the (very) slow charger on 120v that came in the back of the car. Have never purchased the 240v option cord, or wired the garage for it. Due to battery charged state, car is unusable for trips around town about 2 or 3 times a month on weekends. So it becomes basically a useless hunk of steel .... and I use the Subie.

Cold weather in winter (40 deg or colder here) takes away about 10 miles. Ditto for those extra fast driving days. Throttle response is always very enjoyable. I stay off of ECO mode since I don't like the idea of needing acceleration and not having it available.

Still ... a great car/toy and meets the primary mission of getting me to work (32 miles) and back each weekday. And saving gas monies - - - I figure about 8 to 10 cents per mile is staying in the bank. And the dog enjoys riding in the back.

Nelson
San Antonio, Texas

I live in NW WA and I am considering replacing my Honda Fit with a used 2013-14 Leaf. I am comfortable with the range for my daily driving. However there are two trips I at least once a month that I wonder if a Leaf would be adequate without using heat (basically April thru October. What about in winter months (temps run 35-55F) especially if at night in the rain when I would be using headlights, wipers & probably some heat & window defrosting to minimize fogging.

Trip 1: 70 miles 30 on freeway at 65, 70% on 2 lane black top averaging 50 mph. I am pretty confident I could make this on a single charge but would love to hear from experienced owners

Trip 2: 90 miles 90% on freeway averaging 65 mph. Odds of making it on a single charge seem low but again would love to hear from experienced owners

Thanks!

danev said:
I live in NW WA and I am considering replacing my Honda Fit with a used 2013-14 Leaf. I am comfortable with the range for my daily driving. However there are two trips I at least once a month that I wonder if a Leaf would be adequate; especially if at night in the rain when I would be using headlights, wipers & probably some heat & window defrosting to minimize fogging in WA winter months (35-55 F).

Trip 1: 70 miles 30 freeway at 65, 70% 2 lane black top averaging 50 mph. I am pretty confident I could make this on a single charge but would love to hear from experienced owners

Trip 2: 90 miles 90% freeway averaging 65 mph. Odds of making it on a single charge seem low but again would love to hear from experienced owners

Thanks!

At temperature of 33-50 the odds are low on 1) in a single charge, and pretty much zero on 2). Headlights and wipers won't matter, but AC+heat for defogging combined with density/drag at that temperature would challenge even a brand new Leaf.

Starting SOC : always 100%
Range (VLBW/all dashes on GoM) : 81.4mi (highest so far), 80.6mi, and 77.6mi. I have no anxiety about hitting LBW.
Range (till turtle) : I don't live that dangerously, but I assume that there is 4-5mi remaining at VLBW
Efficiency : 4.6-5.0mi/Kwh
Driving : usually about 35% highway/interstates (60-65mph) and in D mode, remaining time at slower speeds in ECO.
Climate : 75-85F, A/C on 20-30% of the time (at higher speeds)

I can rarely let my Leaf get to LBW; these 3 times are the only times ive gone from 100% to VLBW. I usually need to charge overnight and rarely drive more than 50mi/day. I use the L1 EVSE at home, and sometimes ChargePoint L2s when I'm out and about. I've used quick-charging a few times too when I need 100mi+ in range. Usually I drive like any other car; I will eventually get around to attempting 100mi on a charge. With all 12 bars and no interstates or climate control I think it could be done.

22395 miles on the odometer. Tires at 40psi. Garage parked. Spoiled rotten :)

I just a bought a new-to-me 2012 Leaf with 22,000 miles and love it. The battery gauge is still showing all bars for capacity, and the available range is working out perfectly for my 56 mile round-trip commute.

My experience over the first 4 days of commuting:

Starting SOC : 100% (Level 1 charge, still waiting for home based level 2)
Range (till battery low) : 3 bars left showing about 20 to 30 miles after 56 mile commute
Range (till turtle) : I won't do this!
Efficiency : 4.2 miles/Kwh
Driving : 50% of drive is stop-and-go city with speeds up to 50mph. Remaining 50% is steady 60mph (cruise control) on freeway.
Climate : 82deg (and humid) on trip to work, 90+deg (and humid) on return trip.

A/C running lightly on trip in, working very hard on return trip. I had range anxiety on my first commute, but the car is performing very consistently with 20 to 30 mile reserve when I return after driving almost exactly 56 miles. Its perfect for my circumstance.

sailordave said:
I just a bought a new-to-me 2012 Leaf with 22,000 miles and love it. The battery gauge is still showing all bars for capacity, and the available range is working out perfectly for my 56 mile round-trip commute.

My experience over the first 4 days of commuting:

Starting SOC : 100% (Level 1 charge, still waiting for home based level 2)
Range (till battery low) : 3 bars left showing about 20 to 30 miles after 56 mile commute
Range (till turtle) : I won't do this!
Efficiency : 4.2 miles/Kwh
Driving : 50% of drive is stop-and-go city with speeds up to 50mph. Remaining 50% is steady 60mph (cruise control) on freeway.
Climate : 82deg (and humid) on trip to work, 90+deg (and humid) on return trip.

A/C running lightly on trip in, working very hard on return trip. I had range anxiety on my first commute, but the car is performing very consistently with 20 to 30 mile reserve when I return after driving almost exactly 56 miles. Its perfect for my circumstance.
Welcome to the forum! If you think you may be posting regularly, you might want to add your location (as general or specific as you wish) to your profile, as it helps people to answer your questions without having to ask what part of the country (or what country) you're in. You gave enough temp info in the above that we could answer any questions related to it, but that may not always be the case.

dfscott said:
philipscoggins said:
Level 1 doesn't supply all the power that the heater needs, so some has to come from the battery.

Level 2 would do it.

Ahh.. good to know. Time to put on a coat and turn off the timer. :)

I charge using L-1, and in the Winter my solution is to turn on the climate control about 2-3 minutes before I use the car. That way the car is "mild" inside, and the seat and wheel are warm. This costs just about 2% of charge with the car plugged in. What is really needed is the menu option to have the car preheat in Eco mode. That would reduce the loss of charge on L-1 to something very small.

I took a fairly long trip yesterday, charging to 100% first. (Equalization wasn't quite done when I unplugged, but it was nearly finished.) I set the A/C to 76F initially, but as it was hot and I was lightly dressed, I ended up with a 'comfort setting' of 79F - it was 92 to 88F outside. I used Eco mode the whole trip.The outward bound leg was mostly uphill, and I did 30 miles with 54% charge left on arrival. This didn't concern me, because I know the return trip uses much less power. I added a two mile or so detour on the way home, and arrived back with 62 miles on the odometer and 19% left on the SOC display. I had driven the last 5 miles gently, with the A/C off, to try to avoid having to charge because of it going below 20%. As it was I charged for 40 minutes or so, then unplugged the car with 21% on the gauge, to cool down before full recharging. I forgot to check average speed and hadn't reset the M/KWH display, although I estimate the latter was about 4.4 for the whole trip. I figure my current range is about 70 miles with the A/C on but set higher, and maybe 85 miles if I drive with no climate control on but also not hyper-miling. The range *seemed* less to me, but I later realized that it was because since I retired I rarely drive the car below 30% remaining SOC. This isn't bad for a 2013! I still have 12 bars, although I expect to lose one, and the odometer has about 12,300 miles on it now.

I am at about 203 GIDs (Leaf DD). Mileage ~ 59,000 on my 2011 Leaf. Lost 2 bars. First bar lost around 34k, 2nd around 40k. Round trip commute is 54-55 miles. GIDs left after commute ~ 50-60. Can get home with 10-14 miles left on guess-o-meter. This winter, I might be going to LB every day.

On October 22, 2015 I drove 81 miles about 60% was highway driving. I own a 2011 with a new battery installed about a month ago.

Hi, owner of a used 2012 Leaf SL with 33,000 miles here.

I lost the first capacity bar (11 of 12 now) after about a week of ownership, which was a bit of a bummer.

Because my round trip is 14 miles, I have only been charging to 80% every 2 or 3 days. I typically hit about 40-44 mile range before plugging in with 2-3 bars remaining. I use no A/C or heat, and the weather here in Nebraska has been getting colder - in the high 40's, low 50's. All of my driving is side roads, never going more than 35mph, and not much uphill driving. I'm in ECO mode the enitre time.

Am I seeing normal range?

woomstick said:
Hi, owner of a used 2012 Leaf SL with 33,000 miles here.

I lost the first capacity bar (11 of 12 now) after about a week of ownership, which was a bit of a bummer.

Because my round trip is 14 miles, I have only been charging to 80% every 2 or 3 days. I typically hit about 40-44 mile range before plugging in with 2-3 bars remaining. I use no A/C or heat, and the weather here in Nebraska has been getting colder - in the high 40's, low 50's. All of my driving is side roads, never going more than 35mph, and not much uphill driving. I'm in ECO mode the enitre time.

Am I seeing normal range?

It's hard to tell from that description, but my guess is yes. Your best bet is to charge up to full, find a nice flat stretch of road (should be easy in NE), and drive the car at a steady speed. Compare your range to LBW, or better yet to VLBW, to Tony's (82%) range chart at that speed.

I just purchased a 2012 Nissan Leaf a week ago and this is what I am getting. I have taken it to a certified technician and was told it passed all diagnostics. Any suggestions? By the way, I just got a new charging battery.

Starting SOC : 100%
Range (till battery low) : 65 miles
Range (till turtle) : 3 miles I think
Efficiency : miles/Kwh (from the dash, not carwings) 65 miles ?
Driving : describe hwy/city/mixed/speeds here in Greensboro, flat usually, no hills, about 35-35 mph city
Climate : Temperatures, use of climate control climate is about 70 usually

Feel free to give multiple ranges under different conditions.

This is my primary vehicle and I thought I would be getting at least 80-90 on a full charge.

lmgbaumann said:
I just purchased a 2012 Nissan Leaf a week ago and this is what I am getting. I have taken it to a certified technician and was told it passed all diagnostics. Any suggestions? By the way, I just got a new charging battery.

Starting SOC : 100%
Range (till battery low) : 65 miles
Range (till turtle) : 3 miles I think
Efficiency : miles/Kwh (from the dash, not carwings) 65 miles ?
Driving : describe hwy/city/mixed/speeds here in Greensboro, flat usually, no hills, about 35-35 mph city
Climate : Temperatures, use of climate control climate is about 70 usually

Feel free to give multiple ranges under different conditions.

This is my primary vehicle and I thought I would be getting at least 80-90 on a full charge.

When you say 65 miles from 100% to "low battery", I assume you mean the first time the car warns you about "low battery charge". It actually warns you twice before you get to turtle. In my experience, given the rest of what you have said (temps around 70, 65 miles to first warning), I would expect you to get another 10-15 miles to turtle, not 3. Give it a try, you'll be surprised how much farther you can drive.

It can be. That number completely depends on your previous couple of miles of driving. It's also fairly useless at predicting actual achievable range. If you want to learn the true range of your car, take it for a long drive under various conditions. The thing with an EV is that it is so efficient, and yet carries so little energy on board (the Leaf's battery is roughly 2/3 of a gallon of gas, but the car gets over 100 miles on a gallon equivalent), that minor variations in conditions can have a large effect on range. In an ICEV, those variations are basically in the noise.

New member with very low mileage, 23,454 on a 2012 Leaf, bought new.

SOC ( from 2102 to 11/2015) 80%
Range: 45-50 until recently, then 33 - 35 miles
Range till T: 45 -55 until recently, then 35-40
Efficiency: 3.6-3.8
flat as a pancake in mid-Florida, 35-45 MPH max ( wouldn't even think about HWY) ,
weather usually hot, car stored in A/C garage
ECO always, 220 charger

SOC form 11/2015 100%
Range: 45-50
Range till T: ? 50-55
Efficiency : 3.6- 3.8
Flat and hot, 35-45 MPH max,
ECO always

Mileage just dropped drastically within the last 2 months. Shows 10 bars, and dealer said it was fine. Leaving the dealer, I got 30 miles and used 2/3 of the 72 "available". I cannot go 50 miles in this car anymore.

I tried the "Arbitration" that's offered by BBB and the Auto Manufacturers. Beware, it seems that you can only use the Free Arbitration program IF your car is still under the basic warranty of 3 years or 60/000 miles. Mine is now 4 1/2 years old, shows 10 ( 8 white) bars and gets 45 miles to a full 100% charge.

My only option now is to hope that I'm not the only one with the problem and someone starts a Class Action suit about the problem. Or use the small claims court in Florida which allows suits up to $5000, which would probably cover the battery in a couple years if cost keeps dropping.

Buying this POS car was the worst vehicle purchase I've ever made. Paid $38K worth $9K

Back